Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Guess we know (one reason)why MS aren't doing a pro. Can you imagine MS trying to convince people to spend that sorta money on a console.

I was hoping this would have been priced better so I'd be able to pick up a 2nd hand ps5. The wait goes on for another while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

$700 is without sales tax. £ and € will include sales tax.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If you can afford it and will make use out of it, then go for it I say! Heck I've probably spent more on car washing gear over the last while, zero regrets. 😂

Do you think you'll trade in to CEX to offset some of the cost? For the amount of gaming time I get I'm happy out with the standard PS5 + OLED combo but am defo curious to hear what the Pro will be like when normal folks get their hands on them for real, and of course the DF verdict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

$700 plus EU average 20% VAT is about €760, the rest is just the usual rounding up to the next €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Seeing the price of the PS5 Pro might make me do something I don't want to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Sales tax in the US varies but is typically the higher end is 10% and $770 comes out at €698.

It’s just more expensive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh I will be getting it. And my arguments are more to convince myself that its worth it. Again, this is my Champions League, my Rose of Tralee, my Oscars, etc. I don't spend money on much else, I don't have a nagging wife or spawn to siphon my fun money... still stinga a bit though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CEX are offering €300 cash for the regular PS5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Honestly, I don't think that it's that bad. I mean, I was kinda expecting something along those lines anyway, what with the lack of price drops and actual price increases over the course of this generation so far, so a premium version of those consoles was always going to be a lot more.

I think that a lot of people don't really recognise the current state of the industry yet. Dollars to donuts that the price of games are going up over the course of the next couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's literally double the price the PS4 Pro was at launch. Without a disc drive. **** insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its inflation, but don't worry the price of commodities and oil barrels mean we can report lower inflation than the plebs are experience. And sure GDP is high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing has changed. Europe was getting screwed back then as well. Even with sales tax it was 50 euro more expensive. I remember getting my PS3 in Boston as it saved me about 100 euro even with sales tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it's boards but is it playing up for anyone else? Going to the latest post brings me to 2 pages after the last post.

In this thread it brings me to page 285 even though the last post is on page 283.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm now entering the justify the price to myself phase. The Top tier steam deck is just under €700. So it's not unheard of to spend that kind of money on premium stuff. Plus I'll actually be able to play a PS5 when the kid has the OG PS5 hogged. And even get some co-op games with him because god knows couch co-op games are few and far between. Plus it's can be my birthday and Christmas present........

It's all sounding reasonable now ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Vanilla is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Add on the disc drive and stand and its almost double the price of the PS5 when that was released, its stupid money

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

€799.99 holy smokes, you'd have to be an idiot to pay that much money for a video game console.

Now excuse me while I go place a pre-order on an RTX 5090

Someone on Twitter made the point for how the older mid gen refresh was a smaller cheap and affordable version of the console. I'd prefer that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Console pricing is for the birds these days. They can bugger off with their "Pro" versions and I'll take a look when the PS6 releases. As Retro points out above the refresh used to be slimline or budget versions to get more people into the product but nowadays it's fancy shmancy nonsense wrapped up with a "Pro" thrown on the end of it.

I'll save my money for the Switch 2!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Digital Foundry’s usually quite circumspect Richard Leadbetter on the PS5 Pro pricing: “Went down like a cup of cold sick” 😂

It's already double the price of a digital PS5 at launch without adding anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Damn that is very disappointing. It’s a pass for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

This is hilarious in a sad way, Sony know it will sell so can set a ridiculous price and lots of people will justify it, its like Apple removing basic ports on their phones and telling everyone why its better and they should pay more for the privilege.

Throw on a dash of AI buzzwords like every business is doing nowadays its no difference to the old talk of the cloud and what the cloud can do and the best we have seen of that so far is how good flight simulator looks.

All the astro good will shot to **** in a single presentation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great to see this - no interest in these particular games, but adding offline modes to heavily online games means games will still be playable beyond their server switch off date. Fair play to Ubisoft (not a sentence I regularly type) for supporting this.

In fairness, image reconstruction is an actual legitimate use of Machine Learning (I refuse to call it AI).

Yeah image reconstruction is a great, legitimately useful feature, and has been a game-changer on PC. It’s a welcome move that Cerny and co are developing their own solution, as AMD’s has not been up to scratch on consoles so far. It’s simply frustrating that it’s locked behind this overpriced hardware for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Apart from the obvious power it's adding a 2TB SSD which is a significant upgrade over the original 825GB.

A 1TB SSD upgrade for ps5 typically costs between €100 and €150 alone and it was dearer the first few years.

IMO Sony could have sold this for €699 at a profit or €799 with the disc drive included. But they decided to make it less attractive to scalpers. I reckon it'll sell at this price until at least the GTA VI launch and then they might cut a hundred.

Here's the thing with the pro if you mainly play on playstation and trade in your consoles.

You'll get about 350-400 by selling the current ps5 so this upgrade costs 400. The ps5 pro like the ps4 pro will likely retain it's value remarkably well. Let's say the PS6 launches for 800, you'll likely sell this pro for over 500 so it will cost you less then 300 to upgrade.

To me it's a no brainer. I'd rather it "cost" me this to constantly have the best hardware. And don't forget people like me sold the ps4 pro for over 300 so the original ps5 only cost 200 day 1 anyway.

I've watched most of that and will finish it off today. I find them active quite childish. I can guarantee you their tone would be different if Sony invited themselves instead of CNET to try out this thing.

• Advertisement

I bought a 2TB external drive for about 50 quid in a sale… does me perfect.

No… HDD but it works perfect for any extra saves I need. I keep the PS5 games on the internal and PS4/below on the external.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Eh, I don't think they would, to be honest. All of the things that they're complaining about are stuff that they've been complaining about for years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah the impression I got from the DF video was their frustration at Sony not doing a good enough job showing the improvements over a standard PS5 (and not going into more detail about the new "pisser" tech for example) and also at CNET for uploading a 1080p 30fps video.

Yeah I for one would echo the annoyance of hand-picked outlets being given the opportunity of getting exclusive footage of anticipated tech and then delivering the footage in a format that is functionally useless in communicating the benefits of said tech. Such a waste for everyone - including Sony themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've it worked out. Sell my Series X to my nephew for €350. He's had it the last 6 months so time to buy it. I'll still have Gamepass pc should I ever want to fork out €800 on a decent GPU.

BuY PS5 Pro for €800, plus €100 for the drive. Won't need the stand as I'm a kidless adult.

Sell my PS5 to CEX for €300. Total cost of upgrading to the Pro with a disc drive: €250. Not bad. And I won't miss the SX.

FYI, the iPhone 16 was just announced. Base model is $1599.

The PS5 pro stuff really highlights just why Nintendo are so far ahead. They're really the only console manufacturer not only with a library that appeals to a wide audience but also with skus that are more affordable to people so again helps with that wide network audience. Imagine if the PS5 slim was a more affordable price like previous slims.

I don't know where you pulled that iPhone price from as the Max starts at $1200, significantly less than what you state the base model is.

I still wouldn't touch the iPhone anyway, the only product that Apple make that is worth the money is the base iPad.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you can buy 4 Switch Lites for pretty much the same price as a PS5 Pro and a disc drive.

No doubt Nintendo have played the Switch smart (albeit with a premium model of their own), but to be fair Microsoft came right out of the gate with a way more affordable next-gen SKU - correctly anticipating that hardware prices weren't going to fall enough for big price cuts or revisions to the Series X. It hasn't moved the needle for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's almost impressive how quickly Sony can still manage to wipe out 10+ years of goodwill with one announcement. More worryingly is how a lot of people are immediately likening this to the launch of the PS3, whose stink took an absolute age for Sony to overcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The iPhone isn't $1599, it's $799. There's no need to make things up just to justify your purchase. If you want to buy the Pro just buy it, nobody really cares.

There was an arrogance to Sony back then that I'm not getting from them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I was thinking about doing something similar as I have a Series X gathering dust, but really 2 current gen consoles + €250 for one current gen console seems insane to me.

Reckon the series X will go towards the Switch 2 next year instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Agreed.

I think with the PS3 they announced it with a whopper price and expected people to go along with it as some sort of easy sell.

With the PS5 Pro, I got the impression that they know, somewhat similar to the Dualsense Edge (albeit at a much different price point), that the PS5 Pro will be a relatively niche product that will only penetrate a small % of their user base, and they're ok with that.

I have to admit, I'm struggling to see much (or even any) arrogance in this. I found it much more galling when they wouldn't support older controllers, even though you could use them for the cloud streaming option.

This is just launching a more premium version of an expensive consumer electronic device. The PS5 isn't going away, you're not being forced into buying this, it's just a high end version for those that want it.

Yeah as ridiculous as I think the price is, ultimately this was always going to be a niche product even with a cheaper (though still premium) price tag. It was always going to be expensive… just it’s more expensive than almost everyone expected. I don’t think it moves the current gen needle any meaningful way, whether it sells fine or poorly. Maybe a PR hit - never a great look when most of the internet is laughing at you - but certainly recoverable.

There’s a fair argument that the whole concept of a premium console is a bit misguided when the costs are this high relative to the benefits. I haven’t seen anything that remotely justifies an upgrade IMO. But it’s also not pretending to be anything more than a premium alternative. If Sony come out in three, four years and announce an 800 euro price tag for a digital only base model PS6, however… Now that’d be more akin to the halcyon days of Sony arrogance.

They didn't tell people to get a second job of they can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Another thing that just occurred to me is that there's no easy upgrade path anymore. I had both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and was able to trade in my base console to GameStop and just pay the difference - they had pretty generous deals at the time too.

Really don't like grubbing about in Cex and Adverts/Done Deal is a minefield of nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement