Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Man, it's almost like they are setting themselves up for a new PS3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I think the PS5 pro price hike has got to do with the fact Xbox aren't trying to compete anymore, So Sony can do what they want. Competition makes companies have the best offers and best quality to beat the other.

I also think the pro is only aimed at people that already have a base PS5, and are willing to trade it in to reduce the price, although the only option in Ireland is Cex which are low-balling c u next Tuesdays. Private market isn't much better as everyone will have their console up for sale so people will have a large selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Unless the PS5 Pro is a complete failure or MS has a rival console launching in the €600 range, I would expect the minimum price the PS6 will be launched at to be €800 now.

Can’t see the Pros price going down that much over the next couple of years and certainly can’t seem them pricing their new console more cheaply than that.

Wonder if their going the Apple route and having a new release every few years with the latest and greatest being considered their Pro offering - the console landscape has changed in that there’s less and less reasons to jump to a newer gen. The PS4 still has a huge install base and is still being supported with new games, that’ll probably be the same with the PS5 years into the PS6 lifetime.

So instead of going for a big bang approach and trying to get everyone to adopt the latest asap, they’re probably changing to have a fancy model for those who can afford it while having a more traditionally priced version supported that will play most(or all) of the games the newest plays.

I do think that approach sort of makes sense, but I do think it would give MS an enormous opportunity for market share with a more traditionally priced top tier offering. Although knowing them, they’d just take it to mean that they should start charging €800 for their console too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the thing about the price, in addition to Sony knowing it's a niche market who'll upgrade compared to the levels of sales they already have with the PS5, is that the consoles have generally been sold at a loss for ages. So chances are Sony know it's only for those who really want that additional graphical boost that most people don't really care about, but they're not going to sell the Pro at a loss since it is that bit more of a premium product. It likely also means the PS6 will be more expensive at launch than the last few gens have been, but also may not be as high as the PS5 Pro (because they'll be trying to get that market saturation back, especially if Xbox are saying they're not doing a mid-gen refresh and instead going earlier with their next gen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It does sound like psvr2 will get a boost from the pro hardware, and there is a version of the upscaling coming later on for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Really weird to see this framed as a Sony exec even though he hasn't worked at Sony for two decades and he was at Codemasters for quite a few years more recently.

The quote is not as bad as it sounds in context either, though it's badly worded. He was basically trying to say there is still an optimistic future for the industry, there will still be demand for the skills of developers, if you have been laid off recently don't feel that you are forced to change career path as there will be more opportunities, maybe consider doing something short term like uber driving as you will find another games industry role before long.

Uber driving is a pretty bad example to use but I hate these sensationalist headlines that take things out of context and make a statement sound like something completely different to the original intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Alright, I googled and ran with the first number I saw, my bad. Maybe it was the most expensive model I saw, maybe it was reddit speculation, i cant remember. It wasn't, and isn't, my intent to make up anything.

But I'm not trying to justify the Pro, I am getting it. That was always a given. My point was people will buy what they personally see value in. Most on here think the Pro is too much, but it still costs less than a lot of other tech people will buy. I'll get more value out of the Pro than I will out of my pc or whatever the next flagship phone I'll buy will be. O

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MikeRyan87

I expected about 800e for the Pro with disc drive so the fact it's going to be around 920e total isn't too shocking to me especially with them increasing PS5 price in Japan and upping Dual Sense cost as well recently.

I have no interest in it currently.

Have played all the touted games that I want to that are getting improvements and won't go back for 4K60 modes.

The time when I rethink getting one would be when GTA6, Ghost Of Tsushima 2, TLoU P3 and Bloodborne Remake are shown to run way better on Pro but at that stage I'll probably just hold out for PS6.

I don't think I'll bother with the Pro. Not at launch anyway. I usually try for one big purchase for myself every so often and I've my eye on a new coffee machine. I don't need the extra storage of the Pro (have 2tb already added to my PS5), won't notice the graphics and just can't see a reason to.

I know I'll probably change my mind closer the time as I've eyes bigger than my stomach, but for now anyway I can't even convince myself why I should get it.

Though maybe I will after a few coffees…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Switch 2 will be my next big gaming purchase I flirted with the psvr2 but there is no real reason to pick it up yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, Switch 2 is almost certainly my next purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Same here. Really looking forward to a switch 2. My only hope is that there's an OLED version available at launch.

As someone who owns a PSVR2, I think I can safely there's never going to be a real reason to pick it up…..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MS hoping to hide shite news in the wake of the PS5 Pro price.

Jesus... that's 2,500 jobs from MS this year. F*cking horrendous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"No top execs leaving"

Once again, most of the people overseeing all these massive job losses continue on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People aren't made redundant, the jobs are.

In the case of c-suite positions most of those jobs can't be made redundant as the job is still going to need to be filled in most cases legally so, exception being massive structural change or closing a subsidiary but then those at the top of the top are still exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The entire staff of Annapurna Interactive, the video-game publishing division of Megan Ellison's Annapurna studio, resigned this month following a dispute with its owner, according to people familiar with the situation.

Annapurna Interactive President Nathan Gary and his team had been negotiating with Ellison, the daughter of billionaire Larry Ellison, to spin off the video-game division as an independent entity, said the people, who spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to share the information with the press. When Ellison pulled out of the negotiations, Gary and other executives resigned and were followed by around two dozen other staffers.

A spokesperson for Annapurna confirmed that it had explored a spinoff and said the parties failed to reach an agreement, which led to the resignations.

"Our top priority is continuing to support our developer and publishing partners during this transition," Ellison said in a statement to Bloomberg News. "We're committed to not only our existing slate of games but also expanding our presence in the interactive space as we continue to look for opportunities to take a more integrated approach to linear and interactive storytelling across film and TV, gaming, and theater."

The exodus has led to chaos as game developers partnered with Annapurna try to figure out what this means for their upcoming projects. As a publisher, Annapurna is responsible not only for funding the games but for handling services such as quality-assurance, adapting the products for local markets and marketing. Over the past few days, game makers working with Annapurna have scrambled to find new points of contact and figure out whether the company will continue to honor its agreements.

The spokesperson said that all existing games and projects will remain under Annapurna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What the ****!!

• Advertisement

Extraordinary news, but really feel for the dev teams currently making games under the Annapurna banner. That’s a big, big challenge to deal with. Though obviously solidarity with the team who’ve decided to go their own way too.

Annapurna has had an outsized impact in ‘independent’ gaming so that is pretty major news.

And so it begins. PS5 Disc Trays are going out of stock everywhere with suspected scalpers involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Happy with my PS5 disk slim. Got rid of my original PS5, was too noisy and too big. But mostly too noisy. Have a ton of PS4/PS5 games to play at 60 FPS. From a technical point of view, FPS, and relative quiet ( not at good as XBox series ), trumps ray tracing and resolution easily. Sony killed MS, but then dropped a console that does not seem to add anything extra. The killer app for PS5 pro is GTA6 of course, but when will that actually arrive ?

I'll always argue that MS killed Xbox, not Sony…..

Yeah MS are chasing the streaming market and praying that they lock that down, if a global recession was to happen they would clean up in subscriptions when parents tighten the purse strings

Feel awful for parents who now have another new console their kids will want but absolutely not need.

• Advertisement

Oh the empty page thing is annoying. Do we need to create new threads to avoid the problem ?

Anyway, The Crew 2 is a euro everywhere at the moment and Ubisoft are adding an offline mode. And it's 60 FPS on ancient hardware like PS5. You don't even need a pro for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It seems to be fixing itself as the empty pages are filled. Still really annoying though.

Not a particularly good look for Capcom with this one. The US version of the Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection is getting a physical cartridge release on Switch in North America while the European version is code in a box. This is a full price release with a €55 price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mighty Keef right on the nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

European's who care about owning their games

Unfortunately that's not how it works - you don't own the game in neither case. You own the right to play the game, and that right can be nuked in both cases even if you own a physical copy, which is nothing more than a key and (in most cases) an early obsolete copy of the game that needs to be updated anyway.

Any EU initiative should enforce a minimum period of support, and once the support ends and sales stops a mandatory transfer into public domain for all software products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

As we get further into the digital only environment, I wonder if we’ll see the EU look at enforcing companies to provide a service allowing users to transfer their licenses to other users.

It feels anti competitive to essentially force consumers to lose their digital library if they consider moving to a different platform, and Xbox have said as much - losing the generation where people have started building their digital libraries has made it far more difficult to compete.

I have no doubt Sony/Nintendo would kick up a fuss about it but I really can’t see nothing being done as we move past physical sales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They need to rewrite copyright law to account for digital ownership. The current laws were written because you couldn't copy a copyrighted work but software works but copying copyrighted code to RAM so the license system was put in place as a stop gap. It was never meant to be a permanent solution and big software companies are basically abusing this and not using it for its intended purpose. Your should own anything you pay money for and saying you only have a license or a rental agreement to use it contravenes European consumer law. And despite the fact you own a license to use said software they will do everything they can to make it illegal for you to try and use it outside of their ecosystem, even if the ecosystem not longer exists.

We do have to be realistic here as well though. Its not a zero cost policy to release legacy games in a working order when servers go down. Server code needs to also be released which could contain proprietary code and security keys to work and patching them out, especially for a long running game with legacy code, isn't easy.

Yeah the only thing stopping them now are the companies themselves, to be fair to MS they seem to be the most open to let it be a free for all and its because they are miles behind on hardware sales and they are right it does stop people jumping ship, I only looked at this the other day I have 443 games I own on my Xbox ( thank god for gamesharing) this includes games with gold, that number goes beyond 800 when it comes to gamepass, on my Switch I have 19 and on my Playstation I have 9 digital games. There is no way I am not keeping Xbox in some form regardless of what MS do or Ninty/ Sony for that matter either.

From a consumer point of view if I could access the stuff on each of there hardware it would be golden and its not all pie in the sky tech either, yeah you have stuff like touch pad on dualsense but thats a big map button anyway and remapping is possible, Gyro you can turn off on games easily. Haptics arent make or break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

We do have to be realistic here as well though. Its not a zero cost policy to release legacy games in a working order when servers go down

Of course. But I see two directions here, one will be to enforce this end of life release of all it's needed to keep the game (or any other kind of sw) functional, and have all this cost factored in when budgeting and planning a game, and the other would be to be forced to either provide support or lose the right to seek to stop others. And none of these direction don't imply loosing the rights to IPs and trademarks and all collateral copyrighted or otherwise IP protected stuff. Simply put, either keep selling and supporting it, or allow others to do it.

Yes, that second part is very important. A lot of regulation has been brought in over the years with good intentions, but has had the end result of corporations being the only ones able to afford the ability to comply with all of them. Requiring small devs to support something along the lines of this would probably kill off the route that PUBG took to stardom, for example.

Darksiders 2 Definitive Edition for PS5 launching in October. A remaster of the remaster... I love the game but I don't think I could justify buying it again. And why start with 2? Where's the remastered remastered version of 1? Which I prefer ever so slightly over 2. Don't think a remaster of 3 will improve it.

Oh, and they clarified this release is not related to their recent Darksiders teaser. Which I presume is for Darksiders 4, which isn't announced yet.

Sure does look pretty though. And that style of game is right up my street. Wonder how long before inclusion on PS+...

The gated eco systems are a big factor in system retention. A lot of younger people will buy the system they can play with their friends regardless of any other considerations and when the PlayStation is so far ahead it gives them a massive advantage that would require a massive blunder on PlayStations part to lose.... Basically a blunder on the scale of the PS3 or Xbox one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Fyi

Note: If you already own Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition on PlayStation 4, you will receive a free upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version when the game launches on October 15th, 2024.

Xbox Owners: Rejoice! There's a 50% discount on Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition for Xbox One, running until October 14th, 2024. Afterward, your purchase will automatically unlock the new features of the Xbox Series S/X version via Smart Delivery.

Things I didn't expect to see when I woke up this morning:

A freedom wars remaster:

Seems to be coming to PlayStation, switch and steam from Bamco, I always thought it was a Sony Japan Studios game but I'd say they only published it. At least it's escaping it's Vita prison.

There's three things I remember about freedom wars.

The first was that it was a really fun monster hunter type game but with its own twist with the grapple mechanic and the focus on gunplay. I only played a little and it was really fun.

The second is the penal system where the game would fine you for doing the dumbest stuff but you could get a license for that thing. I won't spoil it because some of it is genuinely hilarious.

The the third thing was that it was Sony's last published game on the Vita and Sony and everyone else gave so little of a **** about the Vita at the time that they released this on PSN with a spelling error and I seemed to be the only one that noticed. Even took a picture as I was in shock at how it got through a QA process... If there even was one.

This was on launch day!

Will definitely be picking it up.

Bought it at the time but never got into it on Vita.

Colin and Greg used to gush about it like it was the second coming back in the day on Beyond/Kinda Funny.

Unusual for it to be announced a bit before TGS but I suppose they want to be the news rush from the event.

• Advertisement

Noice! I'll definitely give it another spin so!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I think this is the first quote by Square directly acknowledging that the latest FF games haven't sold well, and apparently they're pretty justified in thinking that according to this twitter dude (rather than it being unreasonable expectations)

https://x.com/ZhugeEX/status/1836334410477527294

Pity about XVI as it's great, the story does drop a bit towards the end.

As for Rebirth, that is a bloated corpse of a game with a razor thin story wrapped around a hundred hours of doing the same 3 side missions in each biome. It makes Remake, which was already bloated, look like a streamlined experience.

I'd be very hard pressed to call XVI great personally - played around 30 hours of it and it felt three or four times longer than that just due to the sheer volume of drudgery and inane filler in between the big spectacle bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah I loved the writing in freedom war(t)s! I'm actually happy to pick this up again because my vita is starting to misbehave as a console and delighted to see this reach out beyond the console again!

you gotta imagine they have potentially massively overestimated profits here. So many reasons why ff7Rebirth was not going to do as well as Remake, and I'm saying that as someone who genuinely enjoyed it. Covid, direct sequel, new console, those waiting on "the collection", etc etc

FFXVI is the first FF game I've ever played, and I could only stomach it for about 5 hours or so. The combat felt reasonably fun, but everything else just started to bore me to tears and looked like it would only continue to get worse.

It wouldn't put me off future FF games as I know they can all be relatively different, but with reports of how long the game generally takes to finish I just couldn't bring myself to continue with it.

On the one hand, seems entirely pointless given how great the game looks, how it's already on PC (and so I'm sure people's PCs are already making the game look as good as it probably can) and I think there was a PS5 upgrade for it too. On the other hand, weird to think the game is over 7 years old already, and maybe all the different raytracing etc will be used as a showcase for the PS5 Pro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I don't know, the rumoured numbers out there do sound pretty low (think ⇐ 2.5million copies was the estimate on some of these boards that talk about this stuff). Based on insider reports it sounds like it did really poorly regardless of Square's estimates.

I don't really believe there's a substantial number of people waiting on a trilogy collection, what it feels to me is Square (and maybe Sony) are trading on this series having the same level of prestige it had 20 years ago but it has failed to grow its audience much beyond those same players from 20 years ago. But in the meantime the budgets are going in the opposite direction.

That's the problem they have to look at fixing, and seeing if there's somehow a way to make a part 3 of VIIR that doesn't feel like it's mandating people complete Remake and Rebirth as homework. Their marketing for Rebirth was clearly pandering to a demo that was going to buy the game anyway, which is what they need to not do here. A pack in for the first two games wouldn't fix it either I feel if the interest in playing them doesn't exist.

edit according to the report out today Square lost ¥8.1 billion on their HD games division so these games must definitely be considered failures

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/24q4outline.pdf

This is maybe a little bit of rose tinted glasses, but the last FF game I really adored was 9. I liked aspects of X but also felt its more linear approach meant it felt more restricted than 7-9 (which were my core FF games as a kid), while I admire what I've played of XII for its ambition but have never quite gotten into it the way some did. I think XIII, XV and XVI are all messes in their own unique and frustrating ways.

It's a series that has IMO been searching for a purpose for a long time now, and while its flexible nature has made for some interesting ideas, I think they've often struggled in trying to match tradition and invention in a satisfying way. Also, this is a very specific thing, but have never really liked the visual directions they've chosen post FFIX. They've always been quite cutting edge graphically for the time, but their more clinical, 'realistic' art design has often clashed with the inherent goofiness that comes with many of the series' iconic elements.

• Advertisement

I may get it if its a 10e upgrade but not a notion otherwise.

Should've used their resources to bring Killzone trilogy to PS4/PS5 natively.

Advertisement