Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭einn32

There is some messers out there. I had a lad call one day to a farm I was managing to give him a run through of the place. Showing him the milking routine and he turns around and says I don't milk on my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭green daries

Bloody nora.... give me strength 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭older by the day

AaAh for feck sake, when you were asking about starting dairying last year, I never knew you were leaving an 80k job with all those perks.😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭visatorro

As In holidays ... a neighbour and my BIL mostly.

be the same as a parlour, just change the liners and rubber pipes. Rest of it will last years hopefully

He left all his wet gear and wellies in the milking parlour. I never saw him again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ah no, I’m not on €80k at the moment. But it’d be easy enough to get onto that money in there. You need to be fairly cynical thou and not worry about working the system, pushing paper around and calling it work, etc. And you’d be surrounded by people like that every day of the week

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

What a couple lads that have robots said its grand you can go to the match or go off in the morning but you or someone that knows what to do have to be able to get to the robot or within a couple of hours .there was a story of one the early lads to put one in around here who went off to Bruce Springsteen in nowlan Park.all was grand until he left the concert and phone started beeping and he ended up having to drive back to sort whatever the issue was that night despite having a hotel booked for the night.

• Advertisement

yeah can happen alright. same with a relief milker not showing up or a part on the machine giving up. if farmers checks are done it doesnt give me much hassle touch wood. i can talk the chief thru it here over the phone. someone told me before they never went too far away incase something happened, this lad had sucklers. sure if you lived like that youd never see outside the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭farisfat

Would the robot have problems that need attention most days outside the general maintenance.

No, keep it clean. Keep an eye on the ropes. There's a couple of calibrations to do once a week maybe. Keep cows tails clipped. Like anything if you look after it it's most of the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was always told when you leave for work in the morning you take your lunch box off the table and coat off the back of the chair. Then leave your conscience and feeling there instead as neither add anything to your job.

I remember taking my feelings to work a few times they were ball breaking days.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Wise words, left my last job as I had started to care for the place like it was my own and couldn't take the place being treated like a sh1thole by everyone else.

We used to clean the camera and laser glass twice a day and wash the area down. It's most of the battle. But yes you always need someone available to deal with issues. Nothing worse then everything shutting down and cows standing around.

Matt Cooper was teasing the wee john gibbons a bit the other day. What a twat he is. Talk about nonsense. He has alot of sympathy for the hard pressed tillage farmer vs the bad bad dairy farmers. Especially the dairy farmers in the South East poisoning the rivers with nitrogen... he never mentions Cork it seems. that's where the majority of the cows are and it has the cleanest rivers.…

He has has big problem with teagasc too so they must be doing some right.

https://www.podbean.com/ea/dir-hmg4d-20c94282

Things are quiet around the yard at the moment (waiting on builder, electrician, and parlour man) so I'm reading too much about cows.

Did anyone ever put sand under cows in cubicles?

I won't be putting mats into the cubicles this winter but plan to use sawdust-lime instead. I'm wondering if mixing with sand would help or maybe dilute the costs a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Having your own gear means you can do what you want when you want.

We have most gear needed here ourselves. One of the side headaches though is having the space to store it over the winter. If you buy new and want to keep it a long time, you can't be leaving it out in the rain all winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭alps

Don't.

Deep sand bedding is very good, but I'd expect sand on concrete would be a disaster.

Sand also builds up in tanks, and you will end up having to dislodge...slats off, digger, bobcat...the works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Last year or the year before there was an interview with an award winning regenerative farmer on south east radio. Don't know who were giving the awards or how they entered. The farmer explained his own situation of being a tillage farmer on 60 acres and how his uncle left him the farm. He was planting cover crops and min tilling. That qualifies you as regenerative. He explained how he was in favour of worms and beetles. He explained how he kills the beetles with the harrow and sprays. (He didn't say that bit). Then he said there's too many cows in the country and how if there was more tillage the country would be better. (These brainwashed are placed in different parts now). When asked what his day job was. He replied he worked for Herdwatch.

A kick in the hole is what some people want.

There used to be a report of the Seine river in France of when the current generation of farmers left livestock and pasture due to workload and converted to tillage and tractors and sprays. The nitrates in the waterways went up. The report was taken down most likely from Irish "environmentalists" (livestock vegan cult members). Whatever it was it's gone offline in public. The report recommended grassing the fields again and bringing back livestock. If you want to test nitrates in soil you till soil, expose it to the air, move it around and then add water and test the water. If you want to keep nitrates in soil, you don't apply tillage and you keep plant cover on soil. The whole carbon element is being neglected too. A whole book was written on the subject "Dirt to Soil". What finished the Romans has many similarities to today's farmers and fools like Gibbons mindset.

even if money is tight keep an eye on done deal, youd pick up secong hand mats for feck all. mightnt be pretty but youd bolt them down cheap. would be better than concrete and you can spend money on mats again. heifers will sit on the passageway aswell because there is no more comfortable alternative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Wise words, im a qs so as you can imagine i have a lot of tough conversations regularily. only thing id say is always keep the morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

1000€ will get you 50 mats. If you can spare it at all go and get them

I read Dirt to Soil a few years back and was disappointed to find no magic bean formulas. Then it dawned on me that much of what he wrote about was just old common-sense stuff that livestock farmers have always done.

I could be completely wrong on this but it strikes me that soil needs to be depleted (usually thru deep tillage) before "regen" is required. If you're not poaching grassland or spreading 250+kg of N every year, then the amount of regeneration that soil needs is small enough.

It'd make you laugh when you hear the NGO commentators talk about regenerative practises as the way to restore nature after all those nasty cows, when it's cereals and tillage ground (their preferred choice of land use) that needs regen more.

I found Gabe Brown's 5 principles on the website below and a lot of these are practised by default on livestock farms. We just didn't know there was a fancy new name for what used to be called common sense.

1. Limited disturbance. Limit mechanical, chemical, and physical disturbance of soil. Tillage destroys soil structure. It is constantly tearing apart the “house” that nature builds to protect the living organisms in the soil that create natural soil fertility. Soil structure includes aggregates and pore spaces (openings that allow water to infiltrate the soil). The result of tillage is soil erosion, the wasting of a precious natural resource. Synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides all have negative impacts on life in the soil as well.
    2. Armor. Keep soil covered at all times. This is a critical step toward rebuilding soil health. Bare soil is an anomaly—nature always works to cover soil. Providing a natural “coat of armor” protects soil from wind and water erosion while providing food and habitat for macro- and microorganisms. It will also prevent moisture evaporation and germination of weed seeds.
    3. Diversity. Strive for diversity of both plant and animal species. Where in nature does one find monocultures? Only where humans have put them! When I look out over a stretch of native prairie, one of the first things I notice is the incredible diversity. Grasses, forbs, legumes, and shrubs all live and thrive in harmony with each other. Think of what each of these species has to offer. Some have shallow roots, some deep, some fibrous, some tap. Some are high-carbon, some are low-carbon, some are legumes. Each of them plays a role in maintaining soil health. Diversity enhances ecosystem function.
    4. Living roots. Maintain a living root in soil as long as possible throughout the year. Take a walk in the spring and you will see green plants poking their way through the last of the snow. Follow the same path in late fall or early winter and you will still see green, growing plants, which is a sign of living roots. Those living roots are feeding soil biology by providing its basic food source: carbon. This biology, in turn, fuels the nutrient cycle that feeds plants. Where I live in central North Dakota, we typically get our last spring frost around mid-May and our first fall frost around mid-September. I used to think those 120 days were my whole growing season. How wrong I was. We now plant fall-seeded biennials that continue growing into early winter and break dormancy earlier in the spring, thus feeding soil organisms at a time when the cropland used to lie idle.
    5. Integrated animals. Nature does not function without animals. It is that simple. Integrating livestock onto an operation provides many benefits. The major benefit is that the grazing of plants stimulates the plants to pump more carbon into the soil. This drives nutrient cycling by feeding biology. Of course, it also has a major, positive impact on climate change by cycling more carbon out of the atmosphere and putting it into the soil. And if you want a healthy, functioning ecosystem on your farm or ranch, you must provide a home and habitat for not only farm animals but also pollinators, predator insects, earthworms, and all of the microbiology that drive ecosystem function.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2022-06-08/dirt-to-soil-excerpt/

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I'd looked a few months back and couldn't see much on DoneDeal. Maybe fellas are changing them at this time of year and are selling second-hand ones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

you forgot to mention how gibbons now has a problem with the head of the environmental group that issued that report.marie Donnelly I think is the name.cause she said there’s no need to cull the national herd as previously stated he wants her gone.gibbons the gobshite that keeps on hating

I was in the car this morning and heard some "climate researcher" called Sive debate with Jackie Cahill the TD. It was very poor on all sides.

You could easily make ribbons of anything Sive said. It was the usual guff about Ireland not growing enough fruit and vegetables, using CAP "farmer subsidies" to move away from beef production, etc. Jackie Cahill just repeated the usual stuff too about moral obligation to feed the world, Irish farmers being the most sustainable and best farmers in the world, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭cosatron

matts are essential in my view. Try and get some if you can. It's amazing how much they lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,879 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I sold a good few from my old shed to a young lad starting out.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking during milking that no fence tech would be a great help with robots. It could make them more popular. Should be easy enough to integrate seeing as the cows already have the collars and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya definitely but he's chancing his arm at 20 euro a tenner a piece is really the price of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,374 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I heard that too. Condescending eejit she was. Going on about going back to plant their own vegetables. I'd be nearly hoping the other man would have invited her to come and work on a small-scale market garden operation (if any are left) for a month and be paid what the farmer is making.

Labour is a big reason why most smaller scale lads gave up. It was go big or go home. If you went big you could invest in the expensive labour saving machinery. Advocating a nonsense scenario that all farmers can go back to growing a few veg (ignoring that some might not have any suitable land for it) is about as far as you can get away from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭ginger22

That technology already exists.

https://www.nofence.no/en-ie/?utm_term=cow%20collar&utm_campaign=Nofence+-+UK+-+Products&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=4042644703&hsa_cam=21476762620&hsa_grp=167717523791&hsa_ad=705965214191&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=kwd-3797129301&hsa_kw=cow%20collar&hsa_mt=p&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw_4S3BhAAEiwA_64YhrUPRZ9qca7i6J95ufIMEzIoFX5RIYsDkOBIrL0lMWKpf4cav2WmjxoCJIsQAvD_BwE

i see taaffes have an auction on the 2nd of October, 160 head, high production robot herd in offaly. are they changing cow type or pulling plant. robots look fresh.

Where did you see that?

taaffes auction facebook page. great cows with deep pedigrees

Will be looking for a few autumn calvers. Out of my price range I'd imagine! Probably fulled housed with those litres. Fr breeders will be a few them most will head north.

I owe @GrasstoMilk big time for the reminder to check DoneDeal. I got these outside Gorey today for €10 each.

50 in the bunch and I’ll get at least 45 good ones out of that. Will power wash and disinfect now and they’ll do grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

A bit of weight in them.

Spread them out on the slats and let the rain do the hard work of cleaning them

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now - leave them out in the rain for a few weeks and then see how much more washing is needed.

They weren't too heavy but the trailer has seen better days. I should have angled them the other way too so I'd have been more aerodynamic on the very windy bypass around New Ross 😂

That's a good deal and the man was probably glad to get them out of the way too. No need for sawdust now. A very slight dusting of lime once a day I'd say.

I'd leave the rain soften the dirt but definitely wash them and disinfectant them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I buy in 2 heifers every year ….they have to be better than what I have .in calf to sexed semen ,janurary calving with milk and % in back pedigrees …yes I pay bit more but bar 1 heifer so far well worth the premium ….no point buying in lesser quality stock that what you already own even if you end up buying less numbers for more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

I've a rock solid 20kg bag of urea lying around that cannot be broken. Is there any sense in throwing it into the dairy washings tank where the water or agitator might split it and lead to better value in the washings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Your right in not buying worse than you have. There is an element of luck with any purchase. The 10k cows wouldn't even get off the trailer in my yard. I wouldn't be fit for them! B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Break it up with a sledgehammer somewhat and then put it in the washings tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Advertisement

The training period would be rough! But would defo make robots on grass easier. If there were cows still hanging about in the last paddock and not coming in you could push them in from your phone by moving the fence along.

Advertisement