Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ECJ upholds commission decision on apple tax case

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

To be fair, that's a hell of an interest rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Well done the EU for holding us and Apple accountable. One of the many advantages of being an EU member - there are adults outside of this country to make decisions for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

because of negative interest rates which were prevalent until Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The poster who thought it could be invested in equities clearly wasn’t reading any material when the escrow was put in place. It was very limited in investment scope as neither party wanted to be exposed to having to re deliver statutory interest or investment returns. There was genuine uncertainty as to who would ultimately receive the escrow funds. Security of principal was the most important aspect.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We keep being told there is a pension time bomb coming down the tracks.

So let's put it into the pension reserve fund for the future. It will be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

and some special needs children don’t have a place in school.

I think you mean asserting that Revenue and, by extension, Ireland had not give any illegal state aid to Apple. What many don’t realise is that the case did not even decide that position as one significant aspect of the decision is that the failure of Apple to provide evidence to the Commission in the initial stages meant that it should not have been able to rely on it at the General Court. The ECJ determined that the the GC erred in allowing that evidence (of the activities outside Ireland) to be taken into account in its decision. As such that is a procedural problem, arguably we still don’t know if the tax treatment (based on documents published by the OECD in 2010 and not followed in many jurisdictions before then) constituted state aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The government seemed to see this as a matter of sovereignty.

But eh we gave that up years ago with entry to the EU and through the various referendums over the decades. Referendums supported and promoted by the government parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭_BAA_RAM_EWE

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Soc_Alt

teachers are on maternity leave or career breaks so billions don't make a difference.

No-one is available to teach the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭pauly58

Does anyone know who it was did the sweetheart deal with Apple, sounds like something Haughey would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭_BAA_RAM_EWE

stop teachers lining up maternity leave for when the schools come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A MacBook or top spec iPhone for everyone in the audience keeps all parties happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyway not happy at the ruling, another example of the EU overstretching their authority. That money will be pissed away on tax cuts and welfare increases over a few years, heating up the economy even more.

More on housing? Can't build enough as is with money not a problem.

Health? That thing is just a black hole that could swallow the lot in a year.

Unless it can be spent on major infrastructure projects just throw into the pension fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lol. They all go off the pill at christmas at the same time? Thats a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nobody from Government available to go on Prime Time.

Surprise surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

Wouldn't say "no". There's lots of "probably" and "unlikely". We'll just have to see how this plays out, financially, legally and politically.

PS id be delighted with a decent tax cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think that 13billion should be shared out among all the adults in Ireland minus any politicians or people earning more than €100.000 per week.

I don't know how many adults are in Ireland but I done the sums for dividing 13billion by 5 million people and it worked out at €2,600 each so I am guessing excluding all the children it would mean maybe 3 to 5k each. I am OK with that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I find one comment by Apple intersting. Thay are stating they have already paid US tax on the relevant profits. I suspect that has been as a result of them already anticipating losing the case and looking for some kind of upside in US public perception.

I was also dealing with the Revenue albeit a few years after Apple's initial ruling. We had the Dublin Dock/IFSCs 10% "deal" which was witrdrawn under pressure from the EU without any penalty to any beneficiaries in the early part of this century. The Netherlands had a similar scheme they had to withdraw, although Luxenbourg remained a favoured tax ruling state for some .Most EU countries have had to remove certain tax breaks to multinationals over the past 25 years or so. I have a pretty good idea of what went on in major corporates and their interaction with tax authorities from mid to late 1990s. Things changed massively over subsequent years.

Since the removal of the 10% rate the potential for EU challenge to Ireland's tax regime has diminished materially. The EU will still push for common corporate tax rules across the union, but a single country can veto any such proposal. Some countries have been exploring other avenues and indeed the rules coming out of the OECD BEPS proposals starting off in 2013 have already changed the international tax landscape very significantly. I suspect it will be some time before we see any more substantial changes than those alreadyproposed/ implemented over the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

A €300,000 bike shed in every house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A posh Dub wants it spent on the Metro.

Dublin already gets enough money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

OK, thanks.

So, in essence, some of Apples profits will have been taxed twice, in the end? By us and the USA?

Look on the bright side. €13,000,000,000 for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how can apple claim they were fairly taxed on the revenue in question in the US a couple of years after the initial EU ruling? and four years after the end of the period relevant to the earnings in question?

if so, it was clearly an attempt to sidestep the EU action so the EU would be correct to ignore it. in fact, it'd be pretty funny if apple end up paying the tax twice in an attempt to sidestep it.

This is a problem though. Countries contorting themselves to allow MNC's to pay as little tax as possible. There should be a global consolidated tax of 33% on MNC's, albeit it will never happen, and compete for their location/investment based upon workforce and infrastructure.

The profits of ASI were always going to be taxed by the USA, eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

To be pissed away on IPAs and social welfare.

Don’t get too excited.

Yes, and build a proper state of the art nursing home in every town that needs one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But that’s not going to happen.

We are spending 2 billion a year on IPAs, that’s the truth, that’s what’s happening and that’s where the money will be spent.

Wishing the government will spend the money on nursing homes or magical school places is pie in the sky.

The sheer amount of waste in this country is off the scale. This will just further line the pockets off the few in the top.

as I stated upthread, the deemed repatriation arising fromTrump’s TCJA will have brought this income into US tax net but without a foreign tax credit for the Irish tax. They could not have claimed one as Ireland asserted it was not due.

IFSC was a subseq of “manufacturing relief” as were tech services. From inception, they were due to be gone by 2005 (IFSC) and 2010 (actual manufacturing). From 1997 (by memory), there was already a discussion of reducing headline rate of CT down to 15-17% to give same yield. When I started working in tax in 1989, headline rate of CT was 50%.

they are often taxed twice; the penalty here is that they will have been taxed in the US at 15.5% without credit/reduction for the 12.5% now payable. So in essence, they will have suffered 28% taxation. That’s less than The 35% US tax which would have arisen without the offshore structure but much more than they will have planned for - will have been close to 0%. But, to be clear, any tax avoided would have been US tax as that’s where the substantive activities (R&D on iPhones etc) will have been undertaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

We already run a hefty budget surplus even before the €13 Billion. We massage this down by paying most of this money into 2 special reserve funds (Infrastructure and Pensions). One big reason is that the economy is at full employment and extra spending just bumps up against ever more supply constraints with inflationary results.

So the €13 billion should either be used to bolster these funds further (some day we will really need the money), or even to pay down debt, which is still quite high in relation to GNI* (forget about GDP, whihc is totally distorted for Ireland).

But this would drive the Shinners and PBP into well-publicised apoplexy on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The 14 billion should go straight to paying down the National debt and we move on like nothing happened...

End of story...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

they can scrap the usc now as it was only meant to be temporary.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

…and the funds currently raised from it would then come from where?

the apple money, i think is the implication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No it shouldn't.

We would have to buy back or own debt at less favourable rates than we have at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Can you tell me exactly where the funds raised from it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It would probably be short sighted however to "blame" the EU here when attempts by nations to offset the tax advantages of other nations will always be a feature of the globalised economy. If the EU disappeared tomorrow, this wouldn't change. Europe would still have its foremost powers in France, Germany and the UK and these countries would still exert political pressure on Ireland's taxation system if they wanted — and a group of likeminded nations (which could include the US) could find several ways of landing blows on us as a pressure tactic.

If anything, at least the EU legal system offers the opportunity for legal recourse and fair procedures.

Much like Brexit exposed, I think people labour under a particular illusion that departing the EU (or indeed the dissolution of the EU) opens this pathway to ultra sovereignty where you can just more or less do as you please and without a Brussels overlord to prevent it, the world just kind of accepts it and accommodates it. The reality is that — remove the EU from the picture — and countries will just squeeze us on our tax rate by other methods.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure - in short, it goes to the central exchequer and is used along with all other general taxation.

According to a reply in the Dáil from jack Chambers on the matter (see below link)…

The primary purpose of the USC was to widen the tax base and provide steady income to the Exchequer to provide funding for public services. 

And according to Chambers, removing USC for those earning less than 100k would create a €2 Bn hole in our finances. Were we to use the apple money to fill this hole, then that would last six years or so. What would we do then? Where would we get the money to then fill the hole? Are we to hope for another Apple case?

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2024-07-04/76/#pq-answers-76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

It would not be a matter of buying back debt. A lot of existing debt matures from year to year, so instead of replacing it with new debt issues, we just repay the principal and do not have to borrow to replace old debt with new debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭greyday

There is 29 billion in debt falling due over next two years, no harm is not renewing a lot of that debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭greyday

It is very hard to avoid USC while a lot of the wealthy can avoid tax, reducing Tax rates/increasing tax bands or reducing USC as is currently happening is a far better proposition that abolishing USC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A lot of existing debt doesn't mature from year to year.

About 5% of it does. 14 billion is roughly 6% of our debt.

With inflation and low borrowing rates based on our credibility rating it would be beyond daft to throw the whole lot of it at our debt with the net result being a marginal decrease in repayments, if even.

Even our long term borrowing is around 2%, where the interest if the 14 billion was placed in a fund would be at least double that.

They should stick to the plan and stock pile any excess they have for a rainy year or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I'm sure all the Gombeen Men will be out to wet their beaks soon.

it's going to make for fun election manifesto pledges anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You'd have to wonder at the competence of the EUs legal system when the higher court says the lower one erred in its judgement. Like a lot of law, I wonder how impartial or fair it really is when the outcomes seem arbitrary like this case. A judgement can be reasoned, but the exact opposite was also reasoned.

On the latter point about the beginning of end of the EU love-in. I'm not saying the Irish establishment is about to do a volte face and become eurosceptic. I'm thinking it will be return to a more 1990's posture where derogations are exercised and opt outs are kept. In the past 20 or so years hard won opt outs have been frittered away and traded clearly to keep taxation off the table. Well the taxation advantage and the opt outs are gone now.

What's good for Europe is not always good for Ireland and I think following this ruling this obvious reality will dawn on some in officialdom

Advertisement