Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

PHONER,

What is the MNC in the APN? If it's 01 then you should be good for 5G on any Pixel. If it's not, then unfortunately you may be SOL because Google being the not-so-evil bunch of lads that they are, use a PLMN whitelist and in Ireland only Eir, Three, and Vodafone are on it. GoMo uses the same MNC as Eir, so 5G works on Pixels. 48 uses Liffey Telecom, same as Tesco Mobile, so 5G does not work, as they're not on Google's nice list. Strange, since Three own 48, and one would have thought they'd use the same MNC, but they don't. Plenty of threads on 48's forums about the lack of 5G on Pixels with promises to sort it. Same with Lycamobile; its MNC is not whitelisted. My guess is the operator and Google need to chat and iron it out in order to be whitelisted. Funnily enough, An Post Mobile also uses 01 as its MNC even though they use a third-party ISP (hence a different APN), so should they add 5G, Pixels will work. I use a Pixel 7 and since 48 started offering 5G, I have been on a quest and have hopped and trailed GoMo, 48, An Post Mobile, Vodafone prepay, Three prepay, and Lycamobile. I'd love to trial Sky, but that 12-month contract...

Anyway, the TL;DR is, check your APN's MNC and hope it's 01, otherwise hope Sky establish a dialog with Google soon and make the cut for their PLMN. All I can tell you is that as of April this year, no new Irish carrier MNCs have been added by Google; the issue remains ongoing for 48, Tesco, and Lycamobile.

Also, I don't know about Clear Mobile's MNC, as I haven't trialed it yet, and they're only offering 4G. Virgin Media has its own MNC as well. I haven't trialed them either for the same reason.

Post edited by DECEiFER on

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

@DECEiFER The APN MNC starts with a 2 in my phone, though the website docs say it should start with a 5. The help doc MCC & MNC are both different than what is on my phone, and if I try to edit it to the help doc's numbers, it deletes the APN.

I hope Sky does do something about it, the help docs show 5G and WiFi calling instructions listed. Hopefully it's a sign of what's to come and not just generic.

Anyone know what the MMS APN should be? The help doc MMS settings don't appear to work properly on my Pixel. The MCC MNC also appear to be wrong, as when I change them to what is listed in the docs, the APN will not save.

Here's what Sky's website shows:

Internet APN Settings:

Name:

Sky Mobile Internet

APN:

mobile.sky

Username:

None

Password:

None

MCC:

MNC:

APN Type:

MMS APN Settings:

Name:

Sky Mobile MMS

APN:

mms.mobile.sky

Username:

None

Password:

None

Proxy/MMS Proxy:

MMSC/MMSC URL:

http://185.110.178.96:38090/was

Port/MMS Port:

MCC:

MNC:

Authentication:

None

MMS APN Type:

mms

APN Protocol:

IPv4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

These are the UK settings as the MCC for the UK is 234 while Ireland is 272

Is the MNC 02? Also the MCC for Ireland is always 272. 234 is the UK. The APN will delete if the MCC or MNC doesn't match the SIM.

MCC is Mobile Country Code and MNC is Mobile Network Code.

The 02 MNC is or was Three's, but Three might be exclusively using 05 now. 02 could be from the O2 SIM card days and perhaps Sky have taken it over? Let us know if it's 02, because if so, phones like the Pixels that use a PLMN whitelist won't get 5G until their manufacturers add it as a profile.

Note that if you have or are willing to root, there are ways to edit the PLMN on-device but I'm personally not going down that rabbit hole on my Pixel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

PLMN for sky mobile in Ireland is 27201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I got a 3 SIM last week for testing. It came with an 083 number but the SIM itself is 8935302, the old O2 network. The PLMN in the iOS FTS app still says 272 05.

Just wondering if you have a SIM; are you sure?

If it is 25, you won't get 5G on your Pixel until it's added to the PLMN and when that happens is anyone's guess.

Post edited by DECEiFER on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

I’m using eSIM, this is what the carrier testing apps shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Anyone know since they are on the Vodafone network, can you avail of OneNumber, to use on an AppleWatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Being an MNVO on Vodafone wouldn't mean much in this scenario. Sky would need to implement it which I don't see any mention of anywhere.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

I might still move, they should have better coverage than Eir in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SkryneRed

Managed to get the volte and wifi calling working with pixel ims app, but still no 5G in my pixel 7.

Hopefully Android 15 will enable the 5G since in the last beta test Google seems to remove the whitelist and every one who can get the 5G was able to

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Can anyone tell me what UK networks roaming is allowed on. The only reason I'm currently with Vodafone on a red legacy plan (which they are increasing from €35 to €40 this month) is because Eircom (and its derivatives) only allow roaming in the north on EE, which really only has good town & city coverage. Can anyone confirm that roaming on Vodafone UK is allowed?

Signed up, and requested an eSIM but they said i have to port the number myself?

Logging in to MySky and try to register the port but hitting an error every time?

Anyone else have issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I was just chatting with a guy on the phone a few mins as I was trying to join and he said they are having problems sending the codes for porting at the moment and they got a memo saying it should be sorted in the afternoon.

I've decided to go for it. But the checkout page completely stalls for me no matter what browser I use (on macOS), though with Firefox I can get up to the point of sending an SMS to my existing number. Hopefully this will be resolved during the afternoon. I recommend clearing the site cookies and browser cache before each attempt you make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Currently have 2 sims on GoMo at the €9.99 rate each, so €20 a month barring any additional out of band spend.

Coverage is fine most of the time. I don't use the mobile much for anything beyond browsing/mail/messaging/Youtube. I also have access to wireless/Fibre most of the time too.

Don't travel abroad much.. Only really for work occasionally/rarely.

Got a call from sky this morning but I can't see any benefit for switching? Suggested they would have been better either undercutting the existing €15 per month operators or maybe offering discounts for existing Sky customers (I have fibre with them already)

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Just another little update just been talking to them again they called me back and they have advised they will not be processing esim's until further notice.

• Advertisement

So are they cancelling existing signups that are waiting on esim activations? Sounds like a bit of a shambles.

yeah this is a bit of a disaster if they are cancelling esims.

They haven't contacted me, i just can't get any further on the website to progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 vapourer

I was up North for work today and it roamed on O2-UK and vodafone UK.

One big benefit over your gomo is that in europe + uk you have unlimited data and not say for example 10GB which is similar to your offer. You can also set up a spend cap of 0-300euro so for example if it's 0 it won't let you use anything out of bundle.

Gomo have a €30 out of bundle charge cap. Unlimited EU/UK roaming though is great for those who use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers. As I say I don't do much travelling these days, but food for thought. If there were tangible benefits over the GoMo package domestically though I'd be willing to consider it.

Anyone who is already active…… any issues noticed yet with things like banking 2FA texts/app prompts etc?

True. I preferred the sky cap because you can set it to 0 if needs be so for kids its good as they can't go over the standard 15 euro. I don't think you can make it 0 on gomo.

I've been active since yesterday morning and I have no issues with 2FA stuff for the moment anyway. Also I am pretty sure gomo only give 120GB of data for national use (unlimited in their eyes) and after that slow your data down to 5 megabyte speed. Sky are truly unlimited from my understanding and there is no cap or fair usage crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Same situation here. Not really seeing anything that would make me switch from the €9.99 Gomo deal.

Advertisement