Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Greece 10.09.2024 Match Thread - UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Exactly. It doesn’t matter what shite gets served up now, there’ll be an element of “shur it was better than games under Kenny”. Those 2 games absolutely weren’t. Pure and utter muck in both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

So who should be in the squad next time? I'd agree Doherty Brady Coleman should be out, also Browne and arguably Idah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We weren't really. It's just the bar is set so low now.

Folk thought that getting rid of SK, everything would be better. Could be a long tenure for HH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sad thing is San Marino knows they are sht. So many in Ireland are still so delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

We were decent for about 10 minutes not the 1st half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

We had one half decent chance that Browne drove over and nothing else. The other thing to remember is that a football match consists of two halves and we were dreadful in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

The only thing stopping me from seriously suggesting that the FAI be wound up and a United Irish national side team and league structure be run by the IFA is that the fans are probably too tribal for it.

FIFA would probably get their panties in a bunch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Our lowest point was Cyprus 18 years ago.

We have still a bit to go to reach those depths again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

So along with wasting the windows with O Shea in charge earlier in the year we have essentially wasted another window with the same shite O Shea put together in the previous windows. Heimar has questions to answer over his hands off approach in this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I remember I think Mick getting lambasted for not picking Doherty over Coleman because of his Wolves form.

Hes always had the positioning sense of a pigeon with absolutely no interest in ever actually getting into the correct position or even pretending to keep any sort of shape. He was possibly the most overated player of this generation (that actually played).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

We were vastly under performing back then partly because we had a cowboy of a manager but still had a decent squad. Our current squad is nowhere near that level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

It’s very depressing when there’s no real sign of where we go from here . Since the last generation of footballers that managed to play for top premier league sides have gone ie Given , Duff , Keane , O Shea we have slowly but surely been sliding to what will be our rightful place in the football world

When England had the money to start looking for players outside of these islands then our total neglect of our own league and underage structure has come home to roost in a big big way . And England aren’t going to go backwards so we either sort it out at home or we settle into competition with Moldova , Malta and anyone else that can’t produce their own top players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭StevenToast

How are we still in League B?

Absolutely no business there.....we honestly belong in League D....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's not been good, but it was disgraceful that he was getting boo'ed when being brought on tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

In hindsight worst thing that probably happened the team was not getting relegated to League C after we finished bottom under MON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That was away from home.

Luxembourg came to the Aviva 3 years a go and beat us quite comfortably 1 - 0. Hardly gets lower than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I disagree to be honest.

I can take a lot from a player who's limited, be it physically or technically, but tries. I wouldn't be in favour of booing Idah, for example. It's not his fault he's built like a twig.

But I can't stand lazy players and that's what Doherty is. He went onto the pitch tonight and didn't try a leg. And that's been him for at least his last 20 caps. Fans have every right to express their disapproval imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Sadly very true. We just huff and puff, sometimes exciting. Never look like scoring, always look dodgy at the back. Inevitable bad pass or missed tackle and another demoralising defeat. I just don't know where we go from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Wait till we are in group c and don't qualify for our home euros , we are sinking to the bottom rapidly, but not yet at rock botton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Doherty could easily have gotten back to nick the ball for that second Greek goal tonight but for some reason he decided a casual jog was the better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭joinme

How In the name of sweet merciful God did we end up in Group B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Game of 2 halves in my opinion.

First half the team put on a good shift, pressed well and allowed very little space to Greece. Stats were saying only one shot on target for Greece - if I recall correctly that was a Kelleher save on a free kick and I don't think it was even going in.

Second half very poor. As soon as Greece scored, heads dropped. I think this is a big issue that the new manager needs to address urgently, improve the mentality of the team. Because I think improving the creativity of the team will be a much harder task.

I honestly think the first half performance should be part of the process to improve results. Find a formation that works and stick to that formation and press the opponent as much as possible. Surely it won't be pretty football, but getting any results is important as it might boost the team psychologically and improve performances. This was the template that Otto Rehhagel used to lead Greece to the 2004 Euro triumph. I'm conscious that football has changed a lot in the last 20 years. But everything else tried the last few years hasn't really worked, so probably no harm in trying something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Apologies, I need to come and vent emotionally a bit. Why oh why did I spend €300 for myself and my son to go and watch this ….. Why did I think things would be any different to the Portugal, France, Wales and Serbia matches. Why do I put myself through this again and again. I no longer travel with hope. Of the 4 of us who go to the matches together, 3 of us predicted a Greece win in our pre-match sweep. There was no hope. The hope is gone. If it was ever really there. Maybe we believed that Kenny could fashion something given enough time. Maybe we had hope then. The only excitement from an Ireland attack these days is wondering where it's going to break down. Every time I get frustrated with the players on the pitch, I feel regret when I remember that they are doing their best. This is their level. Can I blame the new manager? No, he can only work with the squad of players he's got, essentially the same group as Kenny. And they play very like they did under Kenny. Passing around at the back until it makes its way back to Kelleher who boots it long and at least then we have the excitement of a 50-50 or a bit of a chase. One of our full backs tried an overlap in the match today. Notable just because he tried it. It's very limited. First 30 minutes, neither team risking anything. But if I wanted to watch a 60 minute game of football I'd go watch an u12 match at the club. And it would be a lot more exciting. And not nearly as much of a waste of money. I don't have any suggestions about how it can be fixed. Bring in this guy or play that lad I saw playing in the u45s last week against Kazahkstan, or play a 2-6-1-2 bearing in mind the players we have. I'll leave that to the lads who know more about football than I do. I only came here to say that once the Finland match is over I can't see myslef spending big notes watching this dross any more when there's way more fun and interesting football to watch down in my local park every weekend. Vent over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was it 300 euro for 2 tickets for each game ?

About 75 euro a ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

I watch Shels regularly and this was almost inferior to what we see there.There is one major problem in Irish football and it has been my bug bear for years.We just don't produce any ballers,players that can take the ball with their back to play ,turn and thread a pass,the closest we got to one was Stephen Ireland,we just cannot compete today without players in midfield who can turn and get us moving up the park,guile players,we have loads of functional players but without a playmaker type we are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joeymcg

Yes €150 a head, but fo 3 matches for the tickets we got, so €50 a match. May not have been the cheapest available, but not the most expensive either. Lovely day there on Saturday, back to normal tonight. €7 for the curry chips was excellent value compared to the football on offer. A lot of people left after 70 minutes. I don't remember seeing as bad as that under Kenny.

Very loud booing for the Smallbone MotM. Not sure whether they were booing the choice or just the fact that they had a MotM. It would have made more sense to give it to one of the Greek lads or just not give one. Either way, it wasn't nice, the lad was only doing his best and in the 1st half he'd gotten applauded for some of his passing. A bit less booing at the final whistle, but very noticeable all the same.

Very different to the start of the Kenny days. Kenny began with way more credit in the bank, people were prepared to be patient with him to see would it work out. HH doesn't have any of that credit, and after 2 matches a lot of the supporters patience is already gone. If Finland beat us in November, he's going to start getting some of the blame for the shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's true about the bounce Kenny got in support for the start of his tenure.

The crowds came back and there was optimism.

But I think Kenny's tenure itself drained that optimism and the long process of hiring a manager and then getting someone no one has heard of did nothing to bring the hype back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Yes,but actually him and Reid were exceptions to the rule and we really need to embrace them rather them sideline them the way we did.

For me Greece played the ball around so much more effectively than we did,got turned ,didnt panic when in our final third,players like Molumby ,knight and Browne belong in teams but not together,without a baller you are going sideways or backwards all night,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The problem for irish football is that it has always neglected grass roots and relied on english clubs to take any young talent and develop them.

Big change needed. Start with an all Ireland league set up and try to appeal it to all social demographics not just the working class like LOI. One big dublin north side club and one big south side club. Belfast has two aswell one for the nationlists and one for the unionists ( got to play that riverly off another) and then a few other clubs scattered around like Cork Limerick and Derry. Try to have a maximum of 10 clubs in league to keep quality higher like the way Scotland does it. Ireland has 7m people now. That is more than Scotland 5m and similar to Switzerland and Austria. But are league is sh*te compared to thiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Only because we haven't played them since.

We have been shite for a long time but this window really hit it home for me anyway. Honestly just lost, first time I have genuinely got no hope of qualification pre campaign, pre draw even!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

With England in group there is little to no chance we were going to qualify to league A. Finland are also terrible so we might not even get relegated from this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could been in League C actually help us with qualification for Euro 28 ? Even though we're 'co Hosts' we could still miss out on qualification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I thought Ireland were not as sh!te as I thought they would be overall.

This HH seems to have a good sensible head on his shoulders, he seems like an honest and direct sort of fella.

The only way is up. But I think this Ireland squad needs a psychologist and not just a sports one. They seem like they are suffering from PTSD after Kenny.

I also think HH should start thinking about dumping some of these underperforming bigger names. Ironically the only success from the Kenny tenure IMO was Ogbene. Kenny basically made his career. A great success.

I would rather have HH play lads from the lower leagues than constant underpreformers from the EPL or English Championship. Fellas that have some "go" about them.

The team also seems very fragile there are no leaders, surely there are some leaders with bite and fight (nevermind skill) able to play for Ireland? Those are the types required I think.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I think there are some positives to take from last night to go along with all of the negativity. We changed to a back 4 and looked far better for it. Omobamidele didn't work at RB but I commend HH for trying it. The full back positions look like they will be an ongoing problem for us over the next few years.

I thought Molumby was one of our better players last night. He's never gonna win you a game but he's all effort and he hit some lovely crossfield passes to Ogbene. Going forward I'd have Cullen & Molumby as our midfield two with Smallbone, Knight, Azaz all possibilities to step in. I thought Browne was poor again and he never really impresses me when I watch him.

Up front is ironically probably where we gave the most options. Obafemi, Parrott, Smodizics, Johnston, Ogbene, Ferguson, McAteer, Idah. Depending on what you want from your forwards there are good options to choose from. I'd like to see us get Smodizics, McAteer & Parrott into the team with one of Ferguson, Obafemi or Idah leading the line. Ogbene and Johnston obviously provide a more traditional wide player if you wanted to replace McAteer or Parrott. Andrew Moran is another that will be knocking on the door of the senior squad soon too.

I totally understand why alot of people are down on the team and management but I don't think things are as dire as some believe. We need to get our best attackers into the team and let them play their football and trust in their ability. Last night was the first time in a long time where I felt we set up to go and win a game instead of just hoping to get a result by defending well. I'm encouraged by enough small changes last night that I have some hope that HH will get things right and we will improve under his management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I think that the base for a good defensive system and effective attack revolves around the midfield.

So regardless of the good attacking and defensive players we have, there isn't enough aggression and drive in midfield.

And by aggression I don't mean flying in to tackles recklessly I mean been able to get around the park to support defense and attack with real conviction.

None of our midfielders offer that (Molumby at a push, but even he is limited)

I don't know if or how this issue can be fixed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Big change needed. Start with an all Ireland league set up and try to appeal it to all social demographics not just the working class like LOI. One big dublin north side club and one big south side club.

Ah, this old crap again.

The North don't want to join the LoI, and it wouldn't remotely change things if they did. And merging Bohs and Shels or Pats and Rovers is equally daft - you'll just lose fans of both. They're nothing solutions put out by people who don't understand the issue but want to be seen to be putting out an edgy solution all while doing nothing themselves.

We need to start developing our own players - have needed to fit 25+ years but we've done nothing about it.

Clubs here need money to put into academy coaching but (a) the FAI is broke and (b) football fans here would rather prattle on about merging clubs and leagues rather than actually support the league. (Also clubs here need to be better run - look at Dundalk as the latest in a string of clubs to piss away millions on first-team wages with nothing by way of infrastructure to show for it)

We have the team Irish football fans deserve, sadly.

Glenn makes a good point. The big problem with the match last night was the the heads of a few players dropped after we went 1-0 down. Hallgrimsson himself alluded to this in the post-match interview.

• Advertisement

I can see why heads went down.

We struggle to score. Once we go a goal behind, the chance of us winning is very very low.

If we open up and try to attack more for an equaliser, usually against teams more technical than us, we'll more than likely concede a 2nd before we'd score.

So the players knew we were done once Greece scored.

Can't be having that.

These are professional footballers who are playing at a decent level, they were 1-0 down against a team who hadn't been particularly impressive. I don't think it was unreasonable to have expected more from some of them.

I am kind of glad we had this sort of game early on in Hallgrimsson's reign. At least now he'll be confronted directly with some of the problems. There's a few things that he will be able to have an impact on. Firstly, he's going to need to cobble together a team of committed players who want to be out there and won't hide. Secondly he's going to need to be able to rebuild the confidence levels of the lads. We've Finland next month, it's a lot to ask for but let's see what he can do.

Are we back to talking about Wes and Andy Reid ?

Two players who's stock rose and rose because they were not playing rather than because they were.

Any league on this island will never be popular because you have the UK and Europe on your doorstep, and all the talk of merged teams and merged leagues will not change that.

The best you can hope for is that LOI clubs develop young players to a high enough standard that it becomes a valuable shop window for the bigger leagues.

And I think they have come on in leaps and bounds doing that in the last few decades.

A lot more international players are spending longer in the LOI than ever before.

But then again the national team has gone to pot over the same period, so I'm not sure if it's doing any good.

A lot of posts about the player's confidence and it affecting their levels.

Is there any evidence that these players can play at a higher level for their clubs than how they played over the past 2 games for Ireland?

Have any of them had a standout game against a top-half Premier League team for example?

We are in a false group.

We aren't at that level. Probably deserve to be down 1 more league.

The game v Finland will tell us a lot. I think we are at their level, and perhaps a draw will confirm this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Completely agree - Shels wouldnt even share a ground with Bohs - so how are we going to have one big Dublin club.

Plus, its a bit of an insult to LoI and Irish League fans to say - yeah lets rip this whole thing up that you love, just so that maybe the national team will get a bit better (or maybe it wont).

Even a consolidated league would still be far smaller than the Greek league, or the Czech league.

Our single biggest 'advantage' is our proximity to England - thats what we need to leverage. Build stronger connections with the top clubs there (our whichever clubs are interested).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I totally disagree that a league will never be popular here, the league is getting more popular, I was at the last 6 FAI cup finals, around 2019 you would get 30000 to 34000 at the game, last year the Aviva sold out all tickets.

Also say you support man united or liverpool, how many times a year will you get to go watch them once or twice? if you support a league of Ireland team, you can go see them play every week or second week for 10 to 20 euro, no getting planes to England, having to stay in hotels and all the expense that goes with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I did like some of the changes Halgrimsson (I assume because Sheasy wasn't changing anything) made.

The formation was much better suited to us.

Omobamidele RB was adequate tbf but I wouldn't try it again. He could be seen as a full back option but should stay central, I'd like to see O'Shea out full instead.

Other side Brady was fine he was good at pressing high - possibly too agressive at times and was lucky to stay on the pitch.

I'd like to see Brady with Robinson infront of him. I thought Knight wide was a stupid idea under Kenny and its still stupid now. We have wingers use them put Knight #10.

Even if McAteer and Johnston are to be held on the bench until the second half just start Robinson. Knight is just wasted out wide, and doesn't offer anything from there imo

Ferguson should not have been called up this window. I'm really getting somewhat worried he'll be back in the LOI in a few years a broken shell. Hes either been "injured" or "recovering" for the last 12 - 18 months. Hes too young for that theres no way thats going to stand to him and is surely just shortening his career at this stage.

I said before as inept as Kenny was the long range shots were not his fault. Its also not Bazunu (or even Kellehers) last night. Post-Whelan there hasn't been a DM in the squad. All our midfielders are game and will chase and put in a shift but they don't have the actual positional sense to fill at DM and that gaping hole is always there for an opposition player to fill and get his shot away. Frustrating but it is what it is.

Doherty shouldn't be called up again. Idah shouldn't start for us, hes an off the bench option but certainly not a starter again. Coleman can be in squads as captain if he wishes but no play time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement