Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posts not visible in a thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's a bug that's been happening for the last few months now. We're still waiting on the fix from Vanilla for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you skip back about 5 pages you can see the new posts, it's a glitch between the thread index due to deleted posts.

A new thread was setup to discuss the debate, so most of the new posts are going there at the moment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And what would be good enough given we are reliant on a 3rd party to deal with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is this the same issue affecting

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058352052/russia-ukraine-war#latest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Happens very intermittently. From my bookmarks it only seems to affect one thread in gaming/PlayStation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Fair City thread is affected too

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058160260/fair-city-news-spoilers-and-discussion-v10-read-post-1-before-contributing#latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe using a better third party, or not going down that route in the first place - especially when this was all originally sold as going to be better than the old platform.

Here we are several years later and the site is still a broken mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭weisses

I don't care what other 3rd part boards relies on regarding the stability/functionality of the platform …. For me as a user Its just not good enough, and its going on for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's happening on multiple threads. If vanilla can't get it fixed I hope there's severe penalty clauses in their service level agreement because as it stands multiple threads are unusable. The platform is not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s a slight inconvenience, it’s been “addressed” and we’ve been told it’s being looked at.

What more do you want? The options before the move to Vanilla was shutting it all down.

Why is it that threads about site problems seem to drag in the posters who, actively, dislike the site and have been heralding its demise for years?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's the latest in an ongoing series of problems that break basic functionality and cause confusion and frustration - in part because users have to guess what's happening this time if they don't know about this corner of the site.. maybe a site-wide banner announcement would help?

If it was a one-off fair enough, but this stuff is happening ever since the switchover. For all the complaining by the staff about the old site, I don't recall these sorts of issues happening too often. At BEST we moved to stand still but in real terms it's multiple steps back.

As for the alternative being to shut it down, I don't buy that - it could have been sold to another party with the interest/pockets to invest, it could have been community funded or supported, or even just basic transparency at the time rather than this pitch that it was all going to be better would have helped set expectations.

Fundamentally the place is a shadow of it's former self. AH has threads on the first page from days ago (always a good barometer). I understand the reality of where this site is these days in terms of funding, staffing levels and prospects, but many of the same old "management issues" persist regardless and that certainly doesn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can we get a restart of the megathreads in CA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wouldn't call it 'unusable' at all. But mods, or regular posters themselves, should take a more proactive approach and just start another thread as soon as it starts happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Not sure if something happened to make it worse but anecdotally I'm seeing this in quite a few threads now and hadn't seen it before last week or so. The PS Plus thread and a few of the longer threads in the running forum

Just posting in case there was something that made it worse that needs to be investigated, not to complain :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, there definitely seems to have been a sudden surge in reports of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Grand, like I said just making you aware, keep fighting the good fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When I click on the Harris V Trump thread it's all blank but I can see from the main page there's new posts.

...you need to go back a few pages to see the new posts. There is page glitch.

Most new posts are going to the new Debate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mykrodot

This is happening in other threads too. The "Zero refugee" or whatever it's proper long name is thread is now invisible too, page after page is blank.

(what do you mean "most new posts are going to the new Debate thread"?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭TokTik

Same for me. I’ve gone back multiple pages and can see some but when I go forward again it’s always blank. So that work around isn’t working

I expect it will happen on any thread that has had posts deleted from it. The more posts deleted, the further you will have to back in pages to get to the posts. The Zero Refugee thread likely to have a lot of deletions.

If the thread is completely unusable, maybe tag one of the CA mods and get the messed up thread shut down and a new one opened?
    That had to be done last time this glitch occurred on the Russia thread.

Re: most new posts going to the new Debate thread.

There was an original thread for Trump v Harris, but that was affected by the glitch.
    Someone set up a new thread for the Tuesday debate last week, as the glitch would have made the original thread unusable during frenetic posting about the debate.
    So most of the new posts about the US Presidential election are still going to the debate thread as it is more responsive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Boards is completely unusable for me now, due to this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A workaround/hack would be to edit offending posts to say "DELETED" etc and not actually turn off their visibility so that they are still there for the normal role user.

If there were 1000 posts, 20 per page, but 100 got deleted, what you have is 45 pages of visible posts for the normal user, but the site is calculating 50 pages and taking the user to page 50.

Probably easier for mods / admin to have deleted posts visible to them, unedited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm sure it is and I'm sure there is a reason why they want them kept. My suggestion was a temporary measure which is really a hack to make the site usable again.

Or just close up those threads and restart new ones and repeat when the problems arise the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

According to @Boards.ie: Mike, there haven't been any deletions that would explain the mismatch between the stored count and the actual number of posts. So there's some other issue that actually causes the incorrect calculation. Why dozens of discussions were affected all at once (or within a very short space of time) hasn't been explained.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Hi ….. 3 days later and I still cant see anything but blank pages on the "Zero refugee" thread. I have gone back 10 pages and they're still all blank!! What on earth is happening, is this at my end? What can I do to fix it ? It's days since I asked about this but seems the issue is not fixed, is anyone else experiencing this?

• Advertisement

Have you actually gone back 10 pages? Because there are posts on page 1010, which is less than 10 pages back from the current 1019 pages

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’ve gone back 10 pages and more on a few threads before I honestly just gave up and figured I’d wait for the fix to be implemented.

It isn’t the same for everyone as I can see the threads being added to (after I’ve marked all threads as read, they’re later appearing in bold), but it was too early to be suggesting navigating back 10 pages fixed it - I think that may have been more of a coincidence that it appeared to work on some threads when there was only a few of them in the initial stages. As more threads are experiencing the issue, it’s becoming obvious that the 10 page workaround, isn’t working.

EDIT: I think the reason we’re now seeing the effect on dozens of threads is because of the length of time and the amount of posts the threads have been running for - similar to the old 10k limit before data in the DB starts getting corrupted - something unforeseen in the underlying code is happening.

The bug which is being looked at is the same for everyone (on a per-discussion basis). For a given discussion, everybody sees the same number of blank pages. The previous poster claimed that there were more than ten blank pages on a discussion where I could only see 8 blank pages. If that is actually happening, then that's a more serious bug which needs further investigation, which is why I asked them to to confirm.

The workaround is not "go back ten pages", it's "go back until you see posts". On some discussions, that takes ten pages. On others, it's one, or five, or fifteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’ve only just gotten to read Mike’s post in the bugs thread, then yours that followed, then nothing on the next page. I shouldn’t be thinking to myself “Do I feel lucky?” 😂

yes I have and all I am getting is blank pages. Likewise the Fair City thread. It is currently on page 478 on my laptop, and there is nothing, I went back to page 470 and that's blank too?? What is happening? Its across lots of threads? How far should you have to go back?

yes I have

Please post a screenshot from page 1010 of the zero refugee discussion

Likewise the Fair City thread. It is currently on page 478 on my laptop, and there is nothing, I went back to page 470

There are posts on page 469

How far should you have to go back?

You shouldn't have to go back at all, it's a bug that's being worked on. While the bug is still active, you have to go back until there are posts - it's a different number for different discussions. However, the number is static (±1) for each discussion - all users have to go back the same number of pages for each discussion.

• Advertisement

ok thanks, so on page 1010 I can now see posts, only 7 for today in total which is very low, on to page 1011 there is nothing…. right up to 1019 nothing, so probably lots of posts never got posted to the page, or the pages from 1010 are irrelevant as they are blank. Either way now the thread looks dead.

On your reply about Fair City, it seems ironic that whatever page I went back to (usually 9 pages) I am just unlucky and need to back 10 pages to find posts. Most of us don't have time to keep going back page by page to finally hit the jackpot. So we just leave. Seems crazy so I will migrate to another platform as this is just painful.

Thanks for your response though. Maybe another time.

Seems like it would be logical for mods to close existing thread and start a new one for the popular threads that are many pages out of synch.

Pages 1011 to 1019 are irrelevant. All the posts that have been submitted are being displayed, it's just that there's extra blank pages added on. There's only seven posts today because most of the posters are clicking into it, seeing blank pages, and leaving. Relatively few are aware of the workaround

Probably, but given the number affected, the reduced number of mods, the coordination needed, and the lack of any top-down communication for expected timeline of a fix… I wouldn't hold my breath. Some individual mods might do it on a discussion by discussion basis if they're directly involved or specifically asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I can't seem to follow any forums lately too. I don't know if it's related to the invisible posts or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is this how it ends?

it seems ironic that whatever page I went back to (usually 9 pages) I am just unlucky and need to back 10 pages to find posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Regardless of however many pages you need to go back it makes affected threads almost unusable as one can not easily go to the next unread pst in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

@Boards.ie: Mike

Don't know if this has been reported by any other users, but I noticed today when posting on the Russia-Ukraine thread that my post was numbered #6138 when it was first uploaded to the page. On busy threads, it's common for other users to have posted since the last post displayed at the time I start replying, but these aren't immediately shown. On this occasion, the last displayed post was #6123, so I clicked on that to bring me to an updated version of the page and my post was suddenly re-numbered #6125.

So something somewhere is adding phantom posts to the count while a message is still in the draft stage, and then fixing it shortly after the post goes live.

This is caused by the same root problem as the blank pages issue - the stored count of posts against a discussion does not match the actual number of posts. You can check out the stored count of the Russia-Ukraine discussion here: https://www.boards.ie/api/v2/discussions/?discussionID=2058352052 (value of "countComments"). As of this post, the count is showing 6,139. In reality, there are only 6,127 posts.

When you click the "Post Comment" button, the front-end of the site builds the post and sticks it on the end of the displayed posts. When deciding what post number to display, it only does a quick check against the (incorrect) stored count. However, when you refresh, and the front-end does the normal building of the page, it properly calculates each post number.

If the countComments value was correct, it would resolved both this issue and the blank pages issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

And I noticed in My threads, if it says 28 new posts and I click on it, it doesn’t bring me to the first post I didn’t read. It brings me some posts after that. It could be related to the count issue you mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boards should be paying you to look after the site instead of that Vanilla shower 😀

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Considering threadbans are gone, why is not possible to close threads affected and open new threads.

The traffic in CA is way down since the issue which is understandable.

I mean this could be something that could see users move on elsewhere.

Maybe closing threads and opening new ones is not an option, but I don't see why.

A large part of the reason is that there's no timeline for a fix. The initial feedback was that this was a high priority issue, it was affecting other Vanilla sites, and that Vanilla were actively working on the issue. In that context, closing and re-opening hundreds of affected discussions across the site didn't make sense - it would be reasonable to have expected a fix was imminent.

Now however, it's 15 days later, and there's still no indication of when the issue will be fixed. It could be today, it could be end of the year. The mods have no idea whether they should go ahead with closures.

And closures are of limited use anyway. Say a mod closes a discussion and reopens a new one - how do they let the participants know about the new one? On a working site, they'd just make a final post with a link to a new one and lock it, but no-one will see that post unless they know to go back 5+ pages. Sure, if you browse at the category level, you might see the new discussion, but for lots of posters, their main touchpoint is their list of bookmarked discussions.

I mean this could be something that could see users move on elsewhere.

This is something that has seen users move on elsewhere

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement