Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Parody, surely?

Did Trump even ramble about the wall this time? Or is he trying to forget that whole thing and his scammer buddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So stepping back, if we go back a few months, we always said the primary purpose of this debate was the chance for Harris to show she was “presidential” worthy- she needed to act and sound presidential- I believe she did that.

It was also an objective to show that she could stand up to Trump- she did that too.

However, since two months ago, we’ve learned that this is not enough to win the presidency - if it was, she’d totally be president elect come November.

Whilst I only saw the final 3rd of the debate and snippets from the rest of it, what went through my mind was- is she reaching out and influencing enough the undecided voters? If their “concerns” were simply about her ability to be presidential, then I think yes she addressed those concerns.

But in the 1/2 hour I watched, I’m not sure did she land key messages to those voters in the swing states who feel disenfranchised and forgotten - poor, possibly jobless or multiple jobs to make ends meet- what was in it for them? Trump used his usual scare tactics - honestly I felt that was working a bit too much when I thought of those particular voters- I don’t think Harris copped what was happening and assumed he was just ranting- but I think that was trumps way of landing messages towards these very precious swing voters. Just my view.

However, IF, there were significant votes to be picked up by other voters that could help swing the election, then yes I believe Harris would have got these- maybe some of those Kennedy votes even.

I think she’s done very well at this debate - but if the polls are to be believed, and I’m certainly skeptical of these right now in terms of how close the two candidates are, the Democrats now need to carefully “court” the swing state voters - I mean, walking door to door isn’t out of the question here - in fact that would certainly get the headlines and possibly the empathy from these voters- it has to be a big loud act to get their attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,182 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Parody, surely?

Not at all. Genuine account. boards.ie is where I made most of my electoral gains in 2016. I have to get the message out here. Kamela doesn't even know it exists because sleepy Joe forgot to tell her. I tend to post more on the F&F forum as the big votes are there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,971 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

At least RTE radio programming will have its filler content sorted for the day.

It will be discussed on every single show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I would be sure that all their talking points were worked out well before the debate, so I'm surprised there's not even a handful of them here spewing their phantasy world nonsense. It's such a lazy effort at trolling that it looks like they let the intern collate the usual lies and insults and quite frankly I'm disappointed. There isn't even 10% of the energy of 2016.

I'm guessing they know a loosing battle when they see one. No point paying lots of overtime for the troll farm when the return is questionable. And Russia seems to be busy with something else, so the money, energy and manpower is no longer there.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Trump looked and spoke like a defeated man imo, he and his allies such as Musk are already trying to question the result of an election which hasn't taken place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

Absolutely beyond parody.

There was at least a time where Trump made a kind of effort to say that there were good immigrants and bad immigrants from what he might call the "shtthole countries", but in this campaign he has completely dispensed with any attempt at middle ground language. It's now just maximum fear.

The eating dogs and cats thing I'm not even sure what to do with. It's flabbergasting. There is no Axios type interview he can do from now until election day where he wouldn't be pressed on that quote and be asked wtf did he mean. And the only answer he'll have is either to dig a bigger hole or to cut the interview short.

In summary :

I actually think the manner in which Harris came to this election actually did her a favour - she got overwhelming endorsement overnight - so that’s the Democrats united in an instant- since then she’s risen in the polls to become neck and neck with Trump - absolutely no time for the Republicans to plan their battles - had she been the “chosen one” much sooner, it would have given the opposition a lot more time to assassinate her character - she’s still “new and fresh” in the people’s minds as a future president - I think that’s important - they need to see her as the future president not “the former vice president” - had she a longer lead in I think there would have been upset in the Democratic Party so not united and she would have had to endure a lot more criticism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This is a debate forum.

If you are confident in the ability of your candidate, you can still appear on line and not hide under a rock.

Is it beyond a follower of Trump to appear online and admit that the debate went poorly, or to comment on how it could have gone better, or even to argue about how he scored some political points?

Apparently yes.

If you had someone on a football forum who only only posted when their team won 3-0, I'm sure you'd have a name for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Advertisement

Yeah, immigrants eating pets is a core worry and issue for the average american!

It's race-baiting nonsense, pure and simple.

All MAGA have is hatred and bile.

The average american cares most about education, employment and healthcare, infrastructure, inflation. MAGA have no plans for any of these, and all were skewered by Trump under his last administration. All they have is fear-baiting and lies.

It was shown on a national debate and hopefully sunlight will have its sterilising effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dingaan

Trump came across as a guy who prepared for an hour before the debate, fumbling through it like a university presentation. He failed to provide any specifics in his arguments and focused too much on personal grievances. I wonder what was actually covered during his debate prep. Anyway, it will take a week or so to know the impact of the debate.

But it's not all bad, from the CNN flash exit poll:

".voters who tuned in gave Trump a 20-point advantage over Harris after the debate on handling the economy, 55% to 35% – a margin that’s slightly wider than his pre-debate edge.

Debate watchers also gave Trump a 23-point advantage over Harris when it came to whom they trusted to handle immigration and a 6-point edge on handling the role of commander in chief."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,804 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Just feeling great relief that Harris delivered. Haven't seen it, but from all the different talking points I think she nailed it. I'm a real fan of Scaramucci, really clever guy. He had said, last week, that this was Day 1 for her, that she would kick on from this debate.

Elon Musk must be offering Taylor Swift the trans child he has and he has turned his back on. What a plonker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Definitely looks like a mistake by the Trump campaign to press Biden so hard before the democratic convention, giving him time to pull out and a new candidate be put in his place.

They have nothing to date that's landed a meaningful blow to her and the debate seems to have gone completely her way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Was discussing this with some mates and they reminded me of a rumour portrayed about 15 years ago about the Polish eating swans around Sligo town when they initially started travelling here to work and live.

It seems Trump must have the same source as this rumour 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭crusd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

15 minutes in…

Harris more punchy than Biden

Trump is able for her though.

Is it me, or is Harris overdoing the body language? Odd facial expressions.. It is like she is acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

The one thing Musk wants more than anything is to be genuinely liked by the public, but he is deeply unlikeable with a darkness about him, so that's not a goer.

So, because he cannot have love, he will take notoriety via his second career of professional Twitter edgelord.

• Advertisement

Sigh- and that’s why I felt uneasy last night - Trump has led on these factors - the economy and security in particular - we know he talks bullsh1t but that’s not the point - it’s all about the voters - this isn’t a race to see who takes home first prize in a debating completion .

Harris did well - I hope to god some thickos who are out there are now more motivated to vote Harris - but Trump is a hard nut to crack simply because his followers are sheep who just don’t have the capacity for independent thought - my respect for Harris has gone up a good few points since this debate - I hope the American voters agree

I can go back to the early 80s- an Asian restaurant in O Connell st - “where someone found cans of dog meat in the bins out back- “- was the rumour -it’s obviously a universal way of creating fear against people who find themselves living in a non integrated or low ethnic population

Trump is a sexual assaulter.

Trump has 34* felony convictions.

Trump is a fraudster.

Trump incited a riot.

Trump added 8 trillion to the deficit.

Trump lies about gender reassignment operations on kids, and immigrants eating your pets.

Hot take - Harris' body language is weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trump has 24 felony convictions

He only does felony convictions biggly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭McFly85

Perfectly played by Harris last night. In all topics that would have been fertile ground to challenge her on, she needled him with something he couldn’t let go and spent his time ranting instead to talking about actual issues. Shows just how fragile he is and how easy it is to rattle him.

Also seems like his mind can’t hold information in an organised way anymore. It’s all the same notes rambled together, to the point where he’s suggesting Harris supports forced transgender surgeries on illegal immigrants in prison. It’s actually worrying that some still think he should lead the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,804 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Harris used body language very well. The hand under the jaw, tilting up her head, meaning 'you're talking sh1te', and I'm coming for you. That also was a replacement for might usually be her laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is it me, or is Harris overdoing the body language? Odd facial expressions..

What expression apart from gut laughing can one do when a loon is ranting and raving about pets being eaten?

On a side not, Trump lives in Florida and spends his time golfing, how is it that he has to artificially orange up his face all the time? Can he not tan or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Has Trump's voice gotten weaker or something? He sounds almost like he has a head cold or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

He's sounded like that for a while now, reckon the campaigning plus age must be taking a toll

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-voter-panel-says-harris-won-debate

Usual sycophants will be on here though denying reality and trying to invent their alternative facts

"Trump was so bad, he’s just like an old suit from like 1987 right now. He just repeats himself, says the same stuff, and she’s refreshing in that she’s different," the voter said. "I think if he had a different line of attack with her, it would have been more effective."

"He is still in his head basically trying to run against Joe Biden," one voter said.

"I think she won the debate from my perspective, because he was so bad and he just sounds so repetitive, but I think she’s weak. 

Advertisement