Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Rawr

I hope the normal Harris/Trump threads get de-borked soon. Plenty to talk about in the debate for sure, but plenty to consider in the wider scope of this election too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I liked a lot of what Harris said and did last night but I'll be blunt here. There are a lot of GOP voters [male and female] who would be uncertain or unhappy at a woman being elected to the office of POTUS, that they don't think a woman would have the bottle to go all the way if some foreign potentate became a clear and present danger to the US. Harris has to convince those voters that she can be relied on to sit behind the desk where the buck stops and do the job regardless of the taste it leaves in her mouth.

I see Trump as being so intent in avoiding direct combat casualties with such a foreign potentate - in order to keep US troops safe within the borders of the US and not on foreign soil - that he'd cave in to the three bullies working hand in hand from Russia, Byelorussia and Hungary [and the invaded territories] to a greater degree than he did while president. He exchanged bluster with foreign heads of state and dictators, now believing his own reports on the success of his policies, that he believes he can force Putin and the like back into their cages. He sees his policies as sending a chill up the backs of those potentates to the degree they believe in and are scared he'll do what he said in his bluster.

One thing about last night. Trump concentrated his eyes on the camera to give the viewer the look that he was looking them in the face while Harris kept her eyes fixed on Trump and away from the camera, giving the audience an impression she may have had no interest in them, only addressing them with words defending women's rights and the other things she spoke about. If there is to be another debate between them Harris will have to split her visual attention 50/50 between the TV audience and Trump in the studio. I think the moderators did a very good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I reckon it’s possible those threads are too big and a “part 2” thread needs starting - I think it’s happened with other ones lately also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Shoog

You can still post in it, you just need to scroll back through 5 pages to get to the latest posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

@aloyisious

There are a lot of GOP voters [male and female] who would be uncertain or unhappy at a woman being elected to the office of POTUS

Disagree. If they'll vote for Trump, I don't think they have a red line for candidates. They'd vote for a candidate who is every MAGA bogeyman rolled into one, provided that individual said the right things.

• Advertisement

For me I think it’s less about her being a “woman” for some voters - Economy and Security seem to be the big bug bears and have been for some time now - her perceived “liberal” stance won’t also go down well with some voters - would those currently fearful be more reassured around security of the country (border and foreign wars etc) if this was a male candidate - yeah I concede they probably would - but then again, that “male” candidate whomever they might have been, may not have been so successful in uniting the Democratic Party -so an element of swings and roundabouts - I think we are where we are now- Harris only task for me is to connect in some way with the undecided and swing voters .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Just watched the debate now. Trump was very convincing for one set of viewers. If only pets had a vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Trump Media share price is down 15% pre market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Welcome to insane MAGA land of racism and misogyny, lies and hate.

So, immigrants eating cats is bad
    (also an insane internet rumour your brain would have to be melted by racist hate ti believe)

But being a childless cat lady is bad too.
    (also a hateful misogynistic piece of vomit)

What if the cat belongs to a childless cat lady?

Paging JD Vance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I'm sure that will resonate with the 30-90year old voter-base, many of whom are proud parents… Unfortunately for Trump this will mobilise the 300m 8-25yo bracelet sharers who will hit voting booths in great numbers…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

That CNN poll saying that more people trust Trump with the economy post-debate than before it is just a damning indictment of the stupidity and nativity of a lot of American voters. I don't think Harris could have done more to say how bad his policies will be for the economy. A quick Google is all that is needed to confirm that her statements about third party assessments of their economic plans are correct, and yet some voters just continue to be stubbornly ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I see this pet eating slur arising in the following way.

Vance insults cat ladies, MAGA see that it is a huge mistake.

Therefore MAGA pivots to make Dems seem even worse, over correct, hence the eating pets nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That kind of analysis is only relevant to political nerds who have their minds made up already.

The swing voter is not all that interested in politics and if they do pay attention it will be to a particular issue they care about - could be migration, healthcare, jobs etc.

The winning over of those people only requires them to appear generally competent and confident (sometimes confidence is confused for competence) and to not alienate them on the issues they care about.

Debates are about the lasting impressions they make and the nonsense about migrants eating pets will probably be the memorable takeaway. Whether that's good or bad for trump remains to be seen.

With a bit of luck the GOP campaign staffers might decide that to let him loose on the debate stage again with Harris would be a big mistake. While they've now got a look at each others performance last night, I think she got a bit more, a taste of his blood and knows where to land blows on. With his exchanging getting bites into her to rants about foreigners diets and Walz allegedly being Ok with ninth-month abortions [after birth on the delivery table] he fouled up majorly. All she has to do, IMO, is to look at the cameras every so often when speaking, to let them know she is talking directly to them, not him.

The Trump campaign managers will have to take his losing behaviour last night into account before another debate. Sure he's the runner with the power to over-rule them, and if he does, I'd recommend that they resign immediately and let the media know the reason why, that Trump blew the election. I don't see him changing his spots any time soon.

I think Trump made a major c*ck up with the dog eating statement. Even if true (which it probably is), he shouldn't have said it. The democrats will soundbite this until November and it's not a good image. I didn't hear him say this at any of the rallys either, which are usually more off the cuff than the debates.

Only for this one line, it would have been a complete disaster for Harris. She showed she will be just as useless and weak as Biden. Putin, Netenyahoo, Xi and any other autocrat will be drooling at the prospect of another 4 years of sleeping at the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm sure Trump has a concept of a plan on how to bigly improve the US economy.

Certainly if there’s another debate, and I have my doubts that there will be -Harris needs to hone her message to her audience and forget about the orange buffoon beside her - she’s proved she can match him - it’s now about the voters and the policies - and that means reassurance around security and the economy- she’s achieved loads I grant her that- but there’s still a number of steep hills to climb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭McFly85

How is it probably true when it’s already been proven to be false?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No it really wouldn't. If you believe the hate filled drivel Trump comes out with you'll believe anything.

Trump has already showed he is Putin's lapdog, time and again.

There's no experienced neutral observer of the debate who remotely agrees with your opinions that the debate would otherwise have been a disaster for Harris. It's complete nonsense that doesn't connect to reality of what happened at all.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yes. Whether there are fewer debates or not, she and her V/P-choice MUST stump the states, something Trump seems to have lost the taste for. She must not make the mistake of taking the returns as a given. Edited wording of the debates quote at the start.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm am definitely using that line when my boss asks how I'm going to fix a problem next time.…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭yagan

Maybe a lot of US voters think protectionism is a wealth maker.

The post world war boom lifted a lot of boats domestically but that's when the USA was the primary industrial exporter to the world, so they didn't have to worry about competition. That's the era that MAGA is about, but the world has moved on and if the US can't lead it anymore then some US voters will be happier with a closed economy.

Economic suicide of course, but ask Putin about how his Make Russia Great Again is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

but like- “Wow” on what she’s achieved in just 2 short months - it must be one of the most impossible elections ever to call - an incredibly bad indictment of just how feiced up America is -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Putin, Netenyahoo, Xi and any other autocrat will be drooling at the prospect of another 4 years of sleeping at the wheel."

Uh huh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Why is it "probably true"? He categorically made it up.

How many invasions of other countries, how many wars were started during Trumps term?

Now compare that with the amount of invasions, wars started during Biden's term.

Oh but he's in a picture with Putin. Orange Man Bad! 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭amandstu

Should the Dems own the slur and rename their party as the Dogocrats and the Magas as the Aristocats?

Or is the slur to vile to go near?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,120 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd say Putin is raging at Trump coming apart at the seams.

Advertisement