Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wow, that is some display of mental gymnastics!!

I am imploring, pleading with carriers to schedule flights and routes with the regional airports.

The capacity and demand is there.

Therefore it is the carriers, not the travelling public, who show contempt if they decide to up sticks and leave the Irish market because they cannot fly from DUB.

Throwing the toys out of the pram comes to mind…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Not at all. It's airlines choosing to send their aircraft to the second most profitable destination, wherever they believe that might be. The Irish customer has nothing to do with it.

Hint, it won't be Shannon.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

So Ryanair and Minister Lawless from DoT had a meeting this morning, looks like he wants Ryanair to rename 'Shannon' to 'Dublin(Shannon)' and presumably hope nobody notices they actually end up on the far side of the country 230km away from their actual destination.

"Mr Lawless said another possible interim solution to the problem would be to push some traffic to regional airports, away from Dublin.

"We have no cap on Shannon, we have no cap on Cork, we have no cap on Knock, we have no cap on other regional airports," he said.

"I've suggested to Ryanair and I will suggest to the other airlines that they should explore, in the hiatus while Dublin Airport is at or reaching the cap, that they should explore increasing connections to the other airports."

He added that there is no better placed airline than Ryanair to market outlying airports as a destination.

"I've flown to Paris Beauvais with Ryanair. I've flown to Venice Treviso with Ryanair. Why can't I fly to Dublin/Shannon with Ryanair?" the minister claimed."

The 'slight' difference there is Beauvais is about 90km away from Paris city centre and Treviso is about 40km from Venice, versus the 230km between Shannon and Dublin.

I see some on the thread mention 'emissions' as a good reason for a passenger cap. How exactly is forcing 1000s of passengers to overfly their desired destination by 100s of km in the wrong direction and then forcing them to backtrack 100s more kms on another form of transport to get back to where they actually want to go, creating millions of unnecessary kms traveled, going to help with emissions or the climate issues?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dublin-Shannon would be a lot more attractive if there was a high speed rail line between DUB and SNN running hourly and if airlines started offering very cheap prices and new routes to bring in the punters then it may work… But..we don't do planning/infrastructure in Ireland so the Rail line won't happen and no one will want to experience a 5 hour Bus&train journey to Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Paul2019

Ryanair and Aer Lingus might choose an inconvenient time (for the government parties) to voluntarily bring down passenger numbers at Dublin.

Maybe in the week of the general election the real effects of the cap could become apparent.

PS The concrete barely dry on the new €350 million runway and we now have a new Shannon Stopover.

Nobody manages the provision of infrastructure quite like the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Pygmie

We've got an extra 13 billion to spend now. You never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jwm121

Why is this even allowed? Minister who knows absolutely nothing about aviation talking to the CEO of Ryanair to try ''minimise'' the damage the cap will make. The only way to minimise the damage the cap will create is to get rid of it altogether. But instead he wants Ryanair to fly passengers to the other side of the country and call it Dublin. If these are the actual steps being taken to take action then it just seems like its all a laughing matter to those in charge.

What do you mean 'allowed'? Allowed by who? Remember there are over 600 people working in the Department of Transport and you can be sure many of them know more about aviation than the 'experts' on here and who's job it is to take a holistic approach to transport matters, and not just profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭dublin12367

judging the comments today from James Lawless, it worries me that the Department of transport seem to know sfa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I wouldn't be too sure about that 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭FR738

My god I’ve heard it all now 😂😂

In all seriousness though, that should be all his creditably gone after suggesting something so stupid. I don’t understand why a Kildare TD would suggest such a thing? Surely saying something as ludicrous as renaming Shannon to Shannon/Dublin would be damaging to his reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ireland, the only country in the world that Builds makes a success and then stops all that success.

You couldn't make this crap up.

Every country in the world wants growth. Airports being built to create capacity. In Ireland we build a second runway, revamp the airport and then try to stop the extra passenger numbers as it's going too well.

The level of stupidity of politicians is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Paul2019

I wonder what Kildare voters will make of their local TD turning Shannon into their local airport.

Another cabbage brained politician, how do these morons get elected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Say what you want about Ryanair, but they're masters at pr spin. They can't fly kids to LapLand to see Santa Claus because of the cap.

Won't somebody think of the children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Trampas

Lawless is another one of these politicians who makes out he pushed this and that for decades and photographs to show us all when it opens. MOL knew he was just coming to humour him and well prepared for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭john boye

It would be very funny though if Shannon was forced to change its name to Dublin Shannon after years of decrying Dublin as the devil just to get a few Ryanair flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The carriers are showing contempt for the passengers. Not the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭davebuck

The sad situation is jobs will be lost across all of Ireland with restrictions on Dublin at present, even the regionals will suffer as potential passengers landing in Dublin and leaving from regional airports will lose out. Look at the USA/Asia traffic that may land in Dublin either direct or via Europe but tour around Ireland and leave via a regional airport or vis a versa. It sends the wrong signals out both for tourism and business activities if air access into the capital is restricted. They're really is no point saying direct traffic away to regionals airports until the cap is removed as we all know how long the planning process takes in Ireland. The present government has a lot to answer for look at the night time cap appeal over 25 months with ABP and still awaiting!!! the wider picture with the metrolink, Dart+ etc. delays appeals and timelines tells a lot. We really don't help the big infrastructure projects to design and build too easy, not saying bypass all the planning regulations but we need to work smarter not harder!

Suprised Someone in ABP or FCC hasn't taken a backhander yet or maybe they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

How many people working in the DOT have real world experience working in the transport industries they regulate? I bet its very little if any. You just have to look at the dept of finance during the crash most people working there had Arts degrees.

Look at the TFI the majority have never worked in the public transport domain, Yet they oversee the majority of public transport services .

It’s completely unacceptable that An Bord Pleanala have been sitting on this appeal for 25 month and there’s no questions being asked. There is absolutely no justification for that. Tom O’Leary stated last week he expected a decision on this last Friday or early this week. Another week has nearly passed and still no sign of a decision.

You bet little if any? Sounds like you have the inside scoop on government departments! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Tippman24

The world and its mother knows that the main problem here is that Eamon(the bike) Ryan is the Green Minister for Transport. For the last 4 years he has made sure that nothing has happened in the Tramsport area that will.inconvenience his bunch of lunatics. All thebike has delivered is empty buses going around Ireland. No new luas lines have been delivered. No metro to Dublin Airport. His Deputy today could hardly go out and go against him with his comments about the problem at the Airport. People have said it on this site that the DAA should let the numbers teach their allowed limit and then advise that Dublin Airport will.then close and resume operations on 01/01/25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I've worked in the transportation industry around 30 years now both road freight/Airline and FBO at the airport.Working shift work unlike the DOT officials who do M/F 9/5.

Did you need an Arts degree for that? 😜 Only joking. As I said before, this isn't just about the airport - the DOT need to take a holistic view.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The world and it's mother should get over it's unhealthy Eamon Ryan obsession as this could not possibly have less to do with him.

The DoT would not implement such a stupid cap and they almost certainly want it gone. However they didn't impose it and removing planning control from local councils is not remotely within their power. FCC (and latterly ABP) are at fault here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

he is the minister for transport and has been ineffective, that’s not an obsession, it’s a fair observation. He has done nothing constructive or positive for transport in Ireland, nothing for the aviation industry or the travelling public just as predicted. He’s had the job about 4 years and ? What has he achieved and accomplished ?
    He’s at odds with every major stakeholder in the aviation industry, airlines, airport operators and travelling public. All of those stakeholder’s have denounced publicly his actions and inactions…He’s completely myopic in his outlooks and decision making…

You can’t support mass immigration as he does, and expect the Irish public and others coming here to travel less and use airlines / airports less. That doesn’t compute….The demand will increase yet he wants less. There is a passenger cap on Dublin airport yet Ryan has repeatedly said he wouldn’t / couldn’t intervene… However yesterday Junior Minister for Transport James Lawless called the cap ‘antiquated’ and is getting together with stakeholders to discuss and try and actively change it…. Eamonn Ryan…on the same question..”sorry, won’t do anything “…

People get obsessed, hot under the collar when other people like Ryan are in a job they are not qualified to hold and have zero intent to make things better and instead deal in glib off the cuff politicking media remarks instead of ‘doing’ things to help the industry and travelling public, he’s done zero.

Ultimately what’s probably required now or soon in the future….a second small Dublin airport….to accommodate further population growth and DUB close to capacity … All very well having a second runway but when you have nowhere to park the extra aircraft and no terminal space to accommodate resources demanded by airlines, handling agents and the public…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I wouldn’t quite agree with your first paragraph.

While you’re right that Eamon Ryan hasn’t been aviation’s standard bearer or friend, and hasn’t encouraged it, to say that he has done nothing constructive for transport in Ireland or the travelling public across the country is simply not true.

He has implemented major fare reductions across public transport throughout the country, with more to come, which has seen usage increase significantly.

He has obtained major funding to implement the biggest expansion of public transport across the State in the form of the Connecting Ireland project which has seen significant increases in bus services right across the country, both rural and commuter.

He’s obtained funding for the expansion of the bus and rail fleet which is being built and rolled out.

And he has progressed Metrolink, DART+ and BusConnects investment projects through the cabinet approval process - the shortfalls at ABP are the main reasons for the delays.

That’s pretty constructive from where I sit as a member of the “travelling public”.

There’s plenty of room for further expansion at Dublin Airport - between the two runways to the west there is tons of land and if you look at the Dublin Airport expansion strategy, that’s exactly where they plan to do it.

There won’t be a second airport in Dublin. It’s not needed.

• Advertisement

Whether we like it or not, ABP and FCC are merely implementing the law of the land as it stands.

I’m in no way in favour of the cap, it’s utterly ludicrous, but daa knew about it and did nothing to resolve it when they should have done so, which was about seven or eight years ago when they could see the trajectory that the airport was travelling along in terms of passenger numbers.

Instead they only made the planning applications very late in the day and seem to have left major parts of them with significant omissions of detail based on the response for more information from the planners.

I would argue that it is up to the lawmakers in the Oireachtas to make changes to those laws, where necessary, and change the planning process for major infrastructure, so that we can progress them within reasonable timeframes, while still respecting the Constitution of this country and the rights that it guarantees the citizens.

And is certainly up to daa to get their act in order and start applying for things much earlier and more importantly to get the applications right.

Ultimately I suspect a solution will be found over the coming months, as it is not in the State’s interests for the cap to perpetuate, but the wheels of the State rarely move quickly.

This should take some pressure off the Dublin cap. https://simpleflying.com/aer-lingus-record-breaking-winter-schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Thunder87

But they removed planning control for large housing developments from local councils with the SHD legislation a few years ago so it's clearly possible.

They also turned the whole of society on its head literally overnight when covid kicked off in 2020, where there's a will there a way.

I'm far from a legal expert but couldn't they draft some legislation to designate certain facilities and infrastructure as "of national interest" and bypass local authorities?

That wouldn't be a quick fix either given the mess ABP are in but taking a long term view it'd surely make more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a minor increase on what they were already operating; out of an airport that lost its previous main carrier and hasn't really recovered.

So no, it won't have any noticeable impact.

450,000 seats with one airline! Looks noticeable to me!

Very little of the 450,000 is a new addition.

They have added a small amount of capacity to a few routes. They use 76 seat aircraft. The total new capacity is going to be a five figure amount.

Goes to show though, if there's a will there's a way! Positive move in general.

It has nothing to do with the cap in Dublin, though. It has to do with the serial bankruptcy of the main carrier (flybe) at that airport and Emerald slowly taking up the routes that were lost and bringing them back to their old capacity; or as close as they can considering they operate slightly smaller aircraft.

Replacing lost routes that had proven demand is not the same as establishing entirely new routes at other airports where there is no indicated demand; or in some cases, proven lack of demand as the routes existed before and failed.

There are not many routes that have viable demand from Shannon, Cork, Knock or Kerry that aren't already running. The only routes that have a very flexible demand base are cheap sun holidays and all of those airports already have sun routes - there may be some growth potential there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Once the cap is lifted all that traffic that has "moved" to other regional airports will come back within one seasonal schedule... fact.

Spitting facts! Once the cap is lifted? Have you some insider knowledge you're not sharing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

So if they took major infrastructural projects away from the current planning authorities, who would assess and decide on them? ABP? They have turned out not to be much faster and they can also say "no" as well as "yes".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is nothing forcing FCC legally to implement the cap and nothing stopping them explicitly excluding transit passengers. And the issues with ABP are more around the interminable delays, much of which admittedly is outside their control.

DAA were inexplicably late with the application and government ultimately are responsible. I don't dispute that. Laying it all at the feet of Ryan, who has no responsibility for planning for ABP, is utterly demented however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The cap is not "the law of land", it is a planning condition imposed by FCC. FCC are not "merely implementing" it, they dreamt it up, plucked the figure out of their arse, imposed it then walked away and insist that any issues caused by it are for daa to solve.

Saying "it is up to the lawmakers in the Oireachtas to make changes to those laws" isn't relevant to the cap. The legislation underpinning the cap isn't the issue and the cap can be removed/altered without changes to legislation. Planning permissions are changed, superceded or expire all the time. You can also apply to change or remove a condition(s) to a planning approval without impacting any other part of it.

The condition relating to the cap needs to be struck out, that is the solution here. I'd say that condition would be defeated if challenged in court. There is the wider EU element which Kenny Jacob referred to but also, it is completely arbitrary. Is there any calculation for how they arrived at that number? Any updating based on changes in the transport infrastructure over the past 17 years (M50 upgrades, M1 widening, BusConnects, etc.)? I seriously doubt such a restrictive condition with no defined rationale or ongoing review methodology would stand up if challenged in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭john boye

Breaches of planning law are generally a criminal offense. If the cap condition could be defeated in court, why hasn't this avenue been pursued in all the years it's been around?

https://www.kfmradio.com/news/localnews/junior-minister-for-transport-responds-to-ryanair-claiming-meeting-was-not-productive/

Lawless today doesn’t understand why the charters to Lapland, and the Leinster rugby charters can’t go from Weston.

This man hasn’t a clue how it all works does he?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As you've been told already, they didn't need to as they were nowhere near the cap for most of that time. They are currently trying to get it changed via the planning system. If that avenue fails then they can go to the courts.

Not sure why you are bringing up breaches of planning law.

DAA obviously decided to deal with the issue of the cap through further planning applications. They likely thought that would be quicker than going through the courts but the courts are probably faster at getting decisions made than the planning system at this stage. Kenny Jacobs has already hinted at taking it to the ECJ.

Right now the cap is the law of the land, as it is part of a planning decision granted years ago

It remains the law unless challenged in the courts, or an application made to change it.

The daa have mucked up royally here. They knew the planning conditions and did nothing to try and change it when they ought to have done, which was seven or eight years ago.

Why didn’t they challenge it at the time?

There is a process to go through as the law stands, and that’s what the daa need to follow.

Blaming everyone else isn’t the solution here, and frankly going around ranting about the Minister, planning officials, etc. as some are isn’t going to solve this - it will be solved by talks between all the parties outside of the media glare.

My comment about the Oireachtas was aimed mainly at moving planning approval for critical infrastructure projects away from local authorities and into a specialist entity that takes the national perspective into account.

As to your questions, presumably the planning decision documentation explains the rationale, whatever it was. I’ve made it clear that I don’t agree with the cap but it’s there and daa have to accept the blame for not challenging it sooner.

• Advertisement

The "law of the land" is generally considered to be legislation, which is not the case for the cap. The cap is not enshrined in legislation and legislation is not required to alter/remove it, the solution is not legislative. It is a planning condition and while planning conditions are enforcible under law, they are not laws themselves.

You said "ABP and FCC are merely implementing the law of the land as it stands" which makes it sound like somebody else introduced a law and that ABP and FCC have no choice but to abid by it. That isn't the case, FCC introduced the condition and both them and ABP can change or remove that condition. FCC aren't "merely implementing", they are the reason it exists.

Advertisement