Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

btw, off topic but is pagination broken on here for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say definitely not an upgrade. Seems like it's a full priced game, especially if they're calling it Remastered and it's being age rated for release and everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven't seen it myself, but lots of people have. There should be a notification from the tech team at the top of the site:

Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There's obviously a market if they keep doing it, and if it was a upgraded version of [game you personally like] there wouldn't be as much of an issue. I think there's also a sense of certain hate/dislike against the Horizon games that it doesn't deserve, they're brilliant from a technical and gameplay standpoint, albeit with bloated open world mechanics which, again, a lot of people seem to still like.

Each to their own. How many times have people bought GTA V over 3 generations? Even Naughty Dog are not as bad as Rockstar in that regard. But because GTA V is near universally lauded it's ok. And no doubt the PS5 Pro version of it will sell again.

Personally I'll probably give it a go if it's a free upgrade, but meh on paying any more for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Horizon Zero Dawn is getting a remaster, because of course it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The big problem with Final Fantasy for me is that since the budgets have gotten higher they have been trying for mass appeal rather than letting the games be their own thing. This started with FF13. They're all trying to hone in on a western audience but also copying everything wrong with popular Western games, namely the boring side quests and extended play times. There's talent at square enix. Their AA games have been some of their best work and they are absolutely cooking when it comes to their art, technical expertise and especially in their combat and gameplay systems.

What the series needs to do is give Kitase license to make the game world and story he wants, make a great battle system and then have a linear progression through a world map where dungeons are at most 30 minutes long and there's absolutely no fetch quests and side quests are what you do before the final boss to get the best gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally a way to play Zero Dawn on modern systems. 🙄

Maybe bring games stuck on older systems like Infamous. (Yeah I know they can be streamed)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really don't get this remaster. The first game looked stunning as is. It's also just a bit ordinary with plenty of other Sony games far deserving of a remaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It looks like there has been a big leak of Switch 2 prototype material included renders and casings.

Of course as with anything of this nature you should take it with a grain of salt until there's official confirmation.

Probably just being done due to the ease of it rather than demand, and like I said if they squeeze a bit more out of the graphics in terms of raytracing, better lighting etc, it'll probably be used as a good showcase for the PS5 Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Pretty much. There are some differences though, such as the changes to the joycon rails and the increase in size.

Looks like additional buttons at the inner side of the shoulder buttons too, although looking at it again I presume they're the joycon release buttons. Different from the Switch 1 buttons anyway.

That said, yeah huge grain of salt. Would have expected a bit more of a difference from the original.

That's the PS5 version, the new PS5 firmware from last week has broken the game.

It does look funky.

Not often you see the console version broke and not PC!

Looking forward to the DF take on the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of Final Fantasy and DF, they have the footage of FF7 Rebirth on Pro - a game that, unlike many of the first-party games showcased by Sony last week, will benefit significantly from the extra horsepower due to the blurry image quality of the OG version.

Less squinting needed to spot the difference here, even with the limitations of YouTube compression.

Can FFVII save PS Pro? Or vice versa…

Sony kinda screwed themselves over with that initial presentation because almost all the first party games they've released this gen have performed exceptionally well and looked pretty great too. Horizon 2, Astro Bot, Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, Spider Man 2 - all run great on PS5 OG.

Third party games like FFVII Rebirth and Black Myth Wukong are likely were the more substantial graphical benefits will be seen. But they didn't showcase those for whatever reason - either because they wanted to show first party stuff, or didn't want to make third-party developers look bad!

I'd argue that showing Rebirth in the sizzle reel was them basically trying to diplomatically say "look, we know it looks shite. We have a product for you it's called PS5 Pro 800 euro RRP"

• Advertisement

Technology expert at DF, Richard Leadbetter, claiming GTA VI will be 30fps on console...

Potentially a deal breaker for me. I get why previous releases were, as most games were then, but I don't think I could go back down now. Although it's probably true seeing as we don't even have an RDR2 60fps yet iirc, the reason I haven't gone back. I get the cpu argument, but they got V running at 60 so I'm more than happy to take a visual hit for a smooth 60, including whatever they'd have to pare back on the cpu side. If possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

To be honest, I never expected GTA VI to be anything other than 30fps on console.

I think we all know exactly what they're doing. Release the 30fps version and cash in again a year later by releasing the "upgraded/remastered/deluxe" 60fps version.

Get t'fúck, Rockstar.

I basically expect every game to have a 60fps mode now. That, imo, is the "next gen" leap we should have as standard, what with 4K tvs nearly being the norm now (66% of Americans had one in 2023 and the average screen size sold in 2017 was 49" so one can assume is >50" now).

That makes all the sense.

I've no doubt Rockstar will be dining out on GTAVI re-releases and remasters for many gens to come, but you also can't just magic performance out of machines that aren't capable of it*. We haven't seen enough of GTAVI to know how it'll perform yet, but going by past form they will be pushing tech limits and so 30 FPS would not at all be surprising. Given it'd be simulation heavy as well, that'd be a CPU limitation the Pro mightn't be able to push past it.

I'd love 60 FPS to be a minimum expectation too (and a simultaneous GTAVI PC release would be the way to guarantee that on day one) but I certainly think more games will go with 30 in the twilight of the current gen. Though 40FPS is a transformative gain over 30 IMO on a 120hz TV, so I really hope they push for that at least.

*Black Myth Wukong tried that with frame gen on PS5 recently and predictably feels like ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Read this somewhere about PS5 pro ...

"The PS4 pro pro pro"

😁

Two easy things Sony could fix with PS5 pro hardware wise ... make it consistently quiet and not have a lottery where some machines are ok and some as noisy. And also, hall effect sticks.

Quite a few months later than expected, but Nintendo/ The Pokémon Company are finally suing the Palworld developer.

Not going to pretend to know enough about Japanese intellectual property / patent law to speculate how this will go, but a very, very interesting case to keep an eye on… I know internet sleuths showed that some of the monster designs and animations / assets were strikingly similar to Pokémon ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Strangely enough, all those internet sleuths have had no real effect on this, or so it seems. They're not suing for copyright, such as the designs or animations, but rather through their collection of patents, basically how the game plays.

It's like the Warner Bros patent for the nemesis system from their Lord of the Rings games.

Must have been some serious lawyering to spend this long coming up with a plan B if they thought that they couldn't use the designs, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if GTAVI launches at 30fps. They need to save the 60fps mode to resell the game on the PS6, an 8k 30fps mode for the PS7 version, and then an 8k 60fps mode for the PS8 release of the game.

At which point, time to start getting hyped for GTA7!

• Advertisement

They took their time but Nintendo is going after Palworld. The DMCA states a patent infringement which doesn't make sense unless they stole proprietary code which is highly doubtful. I would have expected a copyright claim because the blatantly used pokemon models and made minor changes.

As much as Palworld is a bafflingly popular asset flip piece of garbage I think Nintendo have a flimsy case here. It looks like someone low level patent trolling to try and force a settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m looking forward to GTA 7 far more than 6. Simply because I’ll have a lot more free time to enjoy it as I’ll probably be retired by the time it comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I can remember the lore lads let's restart the whole thing.

They should just stop. I'm pretty sure it's like legend of Dragoon where even the fans don't play more than an hour of the games because of they did they wouldnt be fans!

Sayong that if they do a gritty reboot taking into account all the properties Disney now own where sora, Donald and goofy go to xenomorph planet or planet die hard then I'm there day one.

• Advertisement

Rumours abound that Horizon Zero Dawn isn't the only first-party Sony game getting a PS5 Remaster. I miss when studios made new games....

But those Days are Gone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I want them to do it, not because it's a good game, but I want them to do it while excluding the butt hurt guy who's been giving out about Deacon being in Astrbot. That'd be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

These remasters of basically new games are getting quite ridiculous now if Days Gone is actually getting one.

I don't understand why they don't do something like a Jak & Daxter remake. For an entire generation, it will essentially be a new IP and Astro Bot has shown that people respond well to bright and bubbly platformers and then you have old folks like me who will bite due to nostalgia.

• Advertisement

The first Jak and Daxter is also really damn good

Jak 2 is poo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The only remaster that matters ... might be more than a rumour.

Hopefully it's bundled with a special edition PS5 Pro.

https://x.com/JordanMiddler/status/1836805409593565403?t=gniSRNkuJ94vyIf9cAFdSg&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As someone who hasn't played Days Gone, I'd find it more bizarre that the game is worth remastering but not worth a sequel. Strange that it can be both things.

Money for old rope. Can increase a few specs which may have been previously limited due to console limitations, SSD can boost performance of other aspects etc without a huge amount of work. Whereas a full sequel likely isn't feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yeah, that's fair I guess. I didn't think it sold wildly well though first time around?

I think it did relatively okay. It wasn't a failure or anything, but it lagged a good bit behind most of the other single-player Sony first-party games and just didn't get the hype or attention they really look for, so it wasn't deemed a franchise worth continuing with.

Pretty sure I read that there were issues in Bend Studios and nobody wanted to work on a sequel because the director was a massive bellend and he would have been leading a sequel.

Sold pretty well on PS5 and PC as far as I'm aware.

LOL - pirate-themed Like A Dragon spin off starring Majima just announced. Set in Hawaii again, and seemingly has Majima piloting a pirate ship for some reason.

Never change, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. Never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I defended both leads at the stat when the rumors came out that Sony rejected the sequel but i can absolutely see it that these guys completely burned their bridges with employees and Sony alike. The way they've been going on, can imagine what they say behind closed doors. Damn shame.

Anyway, hopefully the remaster news is correct as i know i can already play it in 60fps on my ps5 but this version says PS5 on the box so it HAS to be at least 8 times better than the version i have. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.

Also read people think it might be a free upgrade. Sony has responded already with "IT IS IN MY BOLLLLLLLLIIIIIXXXXX"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Just give the Days Gone rights to Microsoft. Days Gone 2 - an Xbox exclusive.

Zero would surely buy an Xbox then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement