Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Big time.

Belle here looks like she's about to put her fist through the camera. She hasn't spoke about Arlington yet. I suspect they're a military family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Hoop66

What I'd like to see today is for someone to ask Trump: "what was the name of the soldier whose grave you posed at?".

Absolutely no chance he'd be able to answer correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can't expect Trump to remember a loser; anyone who dies or get hurt is a loser after all in Trump's book because they were not smart enough to dodge the risk. Only losers defend their country; the smart people like him make sure other suckers die instead and claim civilian medals as being worth more because they did not get hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A visit to a cemetery is like kissing a baby, it should be impossible for anyone going for election to f*ck it up.

Except…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

it wouldn’t be the first time he’s disrespected the war dead, and it hasn’t seemed to dent his popularity Wih the Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Dont have time right now to watch tv news to hear analysis of her interview last night- I see some headlines in tabloids as “car crash”- keeping an open mind for the moment obviously.

However, from the outset, we have known that past performances by Harris in a live unscripted environment can be, mixed. Careful presentation and staying on script is vital - a lot of jubilation in the Democratic Party up to now - could be easy enough for this to unwind with bad performances - looking but equally important sounding, presidential will be a key influencing factor.

“It’s unclear if Harris will start doing more media interviews as she continues on the campaign trail. As some commentators on CNN noted before the interview aired Thursday, increasing the frequency of interviews makes it less likely that each one becomes the topic of intense scrutiny and fixation like the CNN event became.

Trump reacted to the interview on Truth Social, saying simply: “BORING!!!””

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/29/cnn-harris-walz-interview

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The interview was bland , neutral and largely uneventful - The way pretty much every interview not involving a MAGA loon is.

There was absolutely nothing "car crash" about it - She did all the things normal politicians do , she gave long full throated answers to questions that allowed her to lean into her key platform items ands punted on some questions that didn't.

Like Every Politician in the History of politicians.

Given how low Trump set the bar for her after his constant claims that she's stupid and doesn't know anything etc. etc. she cleared it with miles to spare.

Excellent - “bland” is good for Harris- and if Trumps worst criticism is “boring” she’s doing a lot of things right.
    I don’t see her as one of the “great” presidential orators - Kennedy, Clinton, Obama - maybe even Reagan too as his style was so different when it arrived first. But she doesn’t have to be to win this election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,991 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I didn't see the full interview, but did see a clip of her being asked about Trump saying she 'became black' for political reasons.

Her response was outstanding. Just smiled, said nothing first but then said 'It's the same old tired playbook, next question!'.

The interviewer seemed taken aback that that was all she was going to get. I thought it was really excellent because it refused to let him dictate the terms of what their interactions are going to be. It's remarkable because we've seen so few people genuinely manage to do this over the last 9 years. Hopefully she'll continue in this way, if she does, only one of them will look Presidential.

I think in a word-oxygen - take the oxygen out of the air, which she did beautifully, and you’ve won the upper hand without having to lecture people - she’s shown restraint composure and an extremely well judged response.

I’m the upcoming debate if she continue to play her hand coolly like that, people will remember such moments.

If the debate is going to increase her vote and possibly get people off the fence (which in my view is far from certain as those currently on the fence are a mystery to me anyway as to why they’re there)- it will do so by literally 1 or 2 key responses to a question- a “gotcha” (in a good way) moment or just a terribly clever reply .

It will go viral and Trump will go bezzerk

Short pithy memorable responses are her friend- they were friends to George W Bush also - long narrations and speaches- that’s the realm of Obama and co- while they might sound grand, I don’t think they suit the modern American president position or the world in which it exists

• Advertisement

Considering it’s just 3 people, it’s simple food for thought than anything - main theme emerging seems to be around Harris needing to outline her policies for those undecided as well as being seen in action without teleprompter - the debate should help with that.
    However I’m getting the impression than those “undecided” people are simply making up excuses - it’s possible they simply just don’t want to vote for Harris and regardless of how well she performs or regardless of what she says she’ll do when in office or regardless of how well she handles Trump, they’ll find an excuse.

I’m predicting a rise in 3rd party candidate votes for this election - there will be Republicans who just won’t want to vote Democrat but don’t want Trump either - given their “principles” they can probably find a 3rd party candidate they can reconcile with.

On another note, regardless of poll gains by Harris in key swing states, Trump leads significantly on the area of economy and border security- the economy lead is what would concern most in my view-the Debate may change this or more importantly needs to change this

“Despite Harris' gains, Trump continues to hold strong in areas that are particularly important to voters. He leads Harris on the economy and inflation by 8 points each and has a 9-point advantage on handling the US-Mexico border. These issues are expected to play a critical role as the election nears. As reported by The Wall Street Journal, these areas of strength give Trump a solid base, even as he trails in overall polling numbers.”

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/us-presidential-election-2024-new-polls-show-vp-kamala-harris-outpacing-donald-trump-in-key-states/amp_articleshow/112978787.cms

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cgky2v681z4o.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Staying muted thankfully, don't care who it benefits whatsoever, all I know is muted mics make it more tolerable viewing experience. Harris I suspect had the "I'm speaking" line ready to go when Trump was rambling incoherently but I am sure she will have a chance to deliver it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think the problem with the muted mics is twofold:

1. It helps Trump look more Presidential to the viewers at home
    2. Harris will still be able to hear him if he tries to talk over her (even if the viewers cannot)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Dems tried to boot Jill Stein of ballots tbf, so yeah neither side are going to be angels on this.

Welcome to US politics.

Trump is near 80 and his brain is made of mush, if she can't do what is needed in a 2 hour debate then unfortunately no sympathy for her whatsoever. Trump has had 7 presidential debates, he obviously won v Biden and lost the other 6 handily, no reason to believe anybody under 70 who is coherent won't handle him easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

there will be Republicans who just won’t want to vote Democrat but don’t want Trump either - given their “principles” they can probably find a 3rd party candidate they can reconcile with.

Can't see any of the three highest-profile 'third-party' candidates having much appeal for moderate Republicans

Voting third-party is generally confined to people on the political fringes anyway: anyone whose views are any way mainstream can surely pick a 'lesser of two evils' between the Democrat and the Republican

I posted on the Trump thread today about undecided voters - I probably have a bit more of understanding about them now well at least some of them -poor, forgotten by politicians and not a lot to look forward to- I “understand’ why Trump may appeal to them - they’ve feic all left to lose poor sods- “saving America from Trump” just doesn’t register on their radar at all and I think it would be pointless going that route with them - in fact the opposite will likely happen - whatever promises empty or otherwise, Harris has to offer -she better choose the right ones that resonate with these people - otherwise they’re not going to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭myfreespirit

Slightly off-topic question, apologies in advance:

Does anyone know if the forthcoming debate between Harris and Trump on the 10th September will be broadcast live on TV on any European TV stations?

Слава Україн– Glóir don Úcráin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,421 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see it in listings for CNN Europe, Sky News and Channel 4.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I say it will be easy to find on youtube as well.

I was thinking earlier and tbf its been alluded to by others, Harris and Waltz not doing interviews does seem like a small own goal. Waltz especially has a lot of charisma so he should be much more visible.

Harris has an interesting back story which plenty of people would like and has some charisma so their is no reason for her to be dodging interviews.

They don't need to go on Fox, but some soft interviews would do her no harm and tbf very few politicians stray outside their comfort zone these days anyway.

Before the usual "Trump~" line yeah he's not been much better , popping up on Hannity ffs . I do think the gamble of popping up on podcasts is interesting whether it will translate to real votes who knows. It didn't really work that well for Yang or Vivek but Trump obviously has a bigger profile.

Oddly enough Vance out of the 4 has probably been the bravest in going on interviews with which his base would be considered enemy territory early on and seems content to take questions everywhere. The obvious downside for JD though is its all to late, the Dems nuked him early with all the stupid **** he has said over the years.

I had a look at the polls of the swing states (the important ones) and oof… It has NOT been a good week for the Harris/Walz ticket.

In alphabetical order…

Trump takes the slimmest of leads of .4% in the battleground state of Arizona, which has 11 electoral college votes. on the 31st August, Harris had a .3% lead, so that's a swing for Trump of .7%

Next up…

Interestingly, both candidates increased their leads in Georgia this week. Trump increased his share from 45.8 to 46.1, a .3% swing , and Harris maintains her slim lead with a .2% rise from 46.3% last week. It's going to be a neck and neck race in Georgia, with it's 16 electoral college votes.

Next up:

Gretchen Whitmers' Michigan with 15 Electoral College votes. I'll be honest, I'll be surprised if Michigan turns red on Nov 5th, but Trump is catching up. His share increased by .7% from 44.1%, whereas Harris has only gained .1% in the week, up from 46.6%. While she still leads in this poll by 1.9%, last week, it was 2.4%…

Up next:

Nevada with 6 EC votes. Harris' lead has fallen from .7% to .5%. She went up .2% from 45.7%, but Trump has increased his share by .4%, from 45% last week. This can go either way.

Next up:

North Carolina with 16 EC votes. More bad news for Harris here as Trump increases his slim advantage of .3% last week, to .8% this week. Trump increased his share from 46.1% by .6%, while Harris has only increased .1% from 45.8% last week.

Next up:

Arguably the most important swing state, Pennsylvania comes with 19 EC votes. And it is yet further bad news for Harris as her lead shrinks from 1.2% to .6%. That's a 50% drop. Ouch. Last week she was polling at 46.2%, so has gained .2% while Trump has increased his polling by .8% from 45% last week. I think this one will hurt the most as she has been based in this state the past week, so would expect a small bump, or at least maintaining her lead over Trump.

Lastly:

Wisconsin, with 10 EC votes. Last week, Harris had a solid lead of 3.2% over Trump, which has been shorted by .5%. She has remained steady, gaining a single .1%, while Trump has increased his share by .7% from 44.2% last week. I'm still going to surprised if Trump wins Wisconsin this year. He won it in 2016, lost it by .63% to Biden in 2020 (a mere 20,000 votes!) but 2016 Trump is very different from 2024 Trump. I expect HArris will win this by .75% or more.

Conclusions:

OOF…

Tough week for Democrats, and Republicans will think that the wind has finally changed in their direction. Part of the reason may be RFK voters making up their minds and stopping sulking. I don't think Trump got quite the bump he was hoping for, but it might slowly be getting there. I think Democrats will know how vitally important the debate on Tuesday is. Harris has everything to do. All the pressure is on her in the debate. Trump will do the only thing he knows how to do well, which is play the character of Donald Trump. I fully expect to see an enraged Trump at one stage of the debate, and hopefully(!) a strong, resolute performance from Harris.

Anyone who says with a straight face that Harris/Trump are definitely going to win are wish casting or have a bet on, its probably the closest election in decades.

Regarding these states, Michigan I am surprised by it been so close after Gretchen's dominant 2022 win and what a mess the Michigan GOP are but we have seen enough polling now that indicates yeah its going to be close. Their is a sizable Muslim population their who may sit out due to the Israel debacle which may be enough for Trump.

Georgia , the Dems have done a lot of good work over the years and stacked the wins, but in a rare moment of common sense Trump has made up with Kemp who from all accounts has an elite ground game which might get Trump over the line. Their is also a small but crucial Muslim population who unfortunately may sit this one out also.

Wisconsin is a notoriously difficult state to poll, some absurd numbers last time round,example one poll had Biden 17 points clear ffs.

Pennsylvania if Trump wins that then the call to pick Waltz over Shapiro will be analyzed for decades to come.

Regarding the debate…Nate Silver in his newsletter summed it up well, don't overthink it just go for the stuff that Trump is weakest on and the masses are most familiar with.

I’d mention: January 6, Roe, Obamacare, Project 2025, JD Vance and the words “convicted felon” — 

and not much else

. That’s a lot to work with, and it’s a reasonably coherent cluster of topics that bolsters perceptions of Trump being too conservative.

I lost a lot of respect for Nate Silver once I found out about the Peter Thiel connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭myfreespirit

Слава Україн– Glóir don Úcráin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Wonder if the fact that the sentencing has been pushed given the polling a little bounce for Trump.

Over the past week I watched "The Loudest Voice" which is a mini-series depicting Roger Ailes's time at Fox News. Great cast, storyline and acting and I'd imagine anyone with an interest in American politics would find it fascinating.

When watching it the saying that "Trump is the symptom, not the cause" really rings true. Ailes was poisoning the well with middle American right from the start of that channel in 1995.

If the show is accurate then Donald Trump as a plausible presidential candidate was entirely the creation of Ailes. Among other things they had Ailes:

• Convincing Trump to actually run in the first place and not just pretend to do so to get media attention
    • Advising Trump on his announcement, specifically on hiring out of work actors to fill the lobby and enthusiastically cheer him as he came down the escalator and made his announcement speech
    • Gave him disproportionate coverage on Fox News during the Republican primary, which the Murdoch family specifically ordered him not to do
    • Went to bat for Trump and brokered a truce when Trump specifically attacked Fox News and Megyn Kelly after the first debate.
    • Advised the Trump campaign on set design and his acceptance speech during the Republican National Convention

The show is available to stream on the RTE Player for anyone else who's interested in watching it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

• Advertisement

So yeah the debate as I said elsewhere you can't really win these things but you can lose them and well Trump did. I can't believe how easy it was though, he's in a good place in the polls but Harris just baited him so easily, the most embarrassing moment was early on the immigration question something which the Republicans lead on and he was rambling about crowd sizes. The abortion question where tbf on the moderators they did throw him a lifeline when suggesting he would veto any abortion ban which is sensible politics he threw everyone under the bus including his VP.

Harris should do the Fox debate, so no excuses about biased moderators etc. It would be moderated by Brett Baier/Martha MacCullum who will obviously have their biases but they have shown they are as fair as any moderator about. Their is nothing for her to fear from this guy whatsoever.

Actually no the worst moment was when he was rambling about people eating dogs, not only was it drivel made up online its something only a very online person would know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just watched the debate and we'll...... Trump absolutely blew it, Two hours of him rambling, lying and repeating his same tired soundbites.

Harris was smart from the get go predicting he would do this and reminding people as the debate went on that he is doing exactly what she said he would do.

Can honestly see him refusing any more debates claiming he doesn't need to do any more as he did so well last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I still refuse to accept the US is ready to elect a woman, much less a woman of colour. Prove me wrong America

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The other candidate is a rapist and a white supremacist who can barely assemble a sentence. If they're not ready now, they never will be.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

True, and don't forget about convicted felon… But what is more important to many Americans is that he is also a man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd have said "white man" but I'd otherwise agree.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Yvonne007

I saw nothing from that debate last night that would do anything to sway voters who were undecided. We got Trump going off on wild tangents and we say Harris not answering specific questions. It seemed like they were pandering to their already locked-in bases.

It was telling that it was only Trump that was tasked by the moderators to answer specific questions though. It would have been interesting if they had pushed Harris with the same amount of insistance when it came to the question of the restrictions she would impose on abortion. That question was left unanswered.

Harris did better than expected though, and Trump, well, did what was expected from him.

I expect the next debate to be interesting if it happens. I'd say both learned a lot from how to deal with the other.

Very close election, far too close to call at this stage.

Which one appeared more presidential?

That's the main point of these debates.

Was it the guy who rambled about immigrants eating their dogs, who's 9 year health care plan is in the "concept of a plan" stage, who's convinced that some states allow post birth murder or the woman who didn't say any of that crazy hoopla?

The users of PredicIt saw a clear winner judging by the jump for Harris in the "Who will win the 2024 US presidential election?" market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Well... To be completely fair and subjective Trump didn't accuse immigrants of eating pets. He said somebody in Springfield Ohio told him this information. The fact that hearsay is one of Trump's points does raise questions about his suitability as president mind…

In fairness the stupidity of this man is comical and actually a joy to watch from an entertainment perspective

Neither really.

Trump did exactly what was expected with his crazy rants, and Kamala said lots of words but also nothing at the same time.

If presidential means not saying "crazy hoopla", then I suppose Harris did better.

But both were guilty for misrepresenting statements to make the other look bad.

Trump misrepresented the ex virginia senators statement about abortion, Harris misrepresented Trump's "both sides" statement.

Sad state of affairs that these are picked as the two best people to lead America.

Harris didn't misrepresent anything.

Trump's both sides comment was racist dog whistling.
    There were no fine people at that rally, there were just racists in a mob.
    Such weasel words were intended to give cover to the racists.

Bear in mind since then - this is not an exhaustive list:

Said that illegal immigrants were poisoning the blood of the nation.

Implied that illegal immigrants are going around eating pets.

Tweeted memes showing immigrants as people of colour - no light skinned faces- as destroying neighbourhoods.

So what are the chances Trump wasn't actually dog whistling support to racists?

Zero.

It was racist dog whistling from a racist and Kamala Harris is entirely justified is putting that in the spotlight.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"I'm just tired of both candidates, they are just as bad as each other" - Every Boards Trump supporter.

There's a twitter account called New York Times Pitchbot that specialises in coming up with ridiculous bad-faith false equivalencies (the types that are typically used by certain NYT op-ed writers who want to drive engagement). The above post could have come straight from one of their tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I am no fan of Harris to say the least she seems like just another corporate Democrat to me. But to suggest and or claim that they are both just two sides of the same coin so to speak is at best being disingenuous and that is me being extremely generous. Harris may not be anything special, but she at least is not a lying, racist, wanna be dictator etc etc.

That's a very typical and telling response.

"Unless any post that says something negative or uncomplimentary to Harris, you are a Trump supporter"

I don't support any candidate in this race. I am interested in it though, hence why I am commenting on it.

If I was american, I wouldn't be able to confidently say that either represents me. But according to you, my assertion that I don't like either candidate is supporting Trump.

This is why conversation is impossible.

I thought the Politics forum would have less of this bulls**t than the Current Affairs thread but I've been proven wrong.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gentle Mod Note: I've observed your posts over recent weeks and they definitley come across as anti-Harris making use of similar arguments put forwards by those who come on trolling on behalf of Trump.
    You don't really engage in conversation but prefer to make a point (often a criticism of Harris or making a disingenuous comparison between her and Trump) and then ignore replies or questions about your point.

So If you want to engage in conversation then do so but don't start moaning when others see your posts in the same light that I do.

Lastly, if you have an issue with a post, then report it but stop with the soapboxing

Thanks for that. Will do.

The only reason I didn't engage in converation on that forum (and now this one) was because any criticism of Harris resulted in having to respond to multiple posters who were quite hostile and I was being accused of trolling.

It's a little unfair I think. Trump is a **** moron but that has been stated over and over again by multiple posters, but I see little criticism of Harris who is also flawed. And as someone without a vote or a dog in the fight, I thought I would be able to talk about it.

I did think the Politics forum would be a better place to post but if I am being viewed as trolling then I'll step aside. I'm not here for arguments but discussion but if thats not possible, that's fine.

I do appreciate your gentle warning though rather than just thinking the worst of me.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭hometruths

It's a minefield.

A couple of months ago post debate some posters were suggesting, with good reason, that Kamala Harris would be a better candidate than Joe Biden and he should step down.

This praise of Harris and criticism of Biden attracted the usual ire, and was met not only with the accusation of being a closet Trump supporter, but also with some fairly strenuous criticism of Harris as a potential candidate from certain pro Biden posters.

Now that Harris is the candidate, if anybody repeats those same criticisms of two months ago, they're a Trump supporter.

FWIW I think Harris is significantly stronger candidate than Trump and will win comfortably, but that is a pretty low bar.

Advertisement