Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2025 Irish Presidential candidates

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Not a bad list all told

Frank Clarke will be out based on your age criteria (73 in 2025). Anyway look at what happened the last time the job went to a former Chief Justice !

Máire Geoghegan-Quinn (73)
    and Olivia O'Leary (75) are another two who miss out on age grounds.

And please, no more z-list celebs, dragoneers, entertainment has-beens etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,608 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Labour lent DL money?! Any details on this?

@Larbre34 Yes, the President shall be elected by a direct vote of the people, but if there's only one candidate nominated then no election will be held. This has occurred in Dail elections in the past.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They owed Labour money from the Adi Roche presidential campaign.

She was originally nominated by Labour, then DL also officially endorsed her and agree to contribute to campaign costs.

That was very silly on DL's part but in return they effectively got to take over the Labour Party…

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Based on seat count, they're 4th biggest in local government, joint 4th biggest for Irish MEP seats, joint 3rd biggest in seanad and 5th biggest in the dail.

Still around, just smaller now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭blackwhite

From what I remember they were too small at the time to get much State funding, and as a result had run up other debt as well. All of which Labour agreed to take on as part of the merger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭mehico

I agree with your criteria and would also add that the person would have a record of being socially conscious and ideally have a high regard for arts and culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

6 Seats or 3.75% of the Dáil. Same number as social democrats, half the number of Greens

I think largely the electorate are happy for them to be in Europe or the local authority where they can't create too many problems but haven't forgiven them for their record between 2011 and 2016. There's 2 of the old Guard left from that era, Alan Kelly and Brendan Howlin. If those 2 step down there could be a resurgence

With regards to the presidential candidate if Labour pick a "celebrity" candidate they might just sneak it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,614 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Howlin is not running again.

Labour won a Dáil by-election during this Government also; one that FG were tipped to get at a canter initially.

1 down 1 to go so

Yeah sure in Dublin Bay South Labour are seen as having many of the same policies as FG

It doesn't make sense that a party would be punished from taking over a country that was in complete rag order and leaving it in quite a good place actually - and continue to be punished for that almost a decade after leaving office.

Anyone who believed Gilmore's ridiculous promises in 2011, which even a Labour single party government could not possibly have kept, can only have themselves to blame really.

But again, Gilmore is long gone… and FF are apparently by now forgiven for wrecking the country in the first place!!

FF wrecked the economy with the Economic War in the 1930s - rewarded with a 16-year term

Wrecked the economy again in the 1950s - rewarded with another 16-year term

Wrecked the economy in 1977-1982 - got straight back in in 1987, and Haughey the obvious crook still commanded a massive personal vote, as Bertie would after him…

Wrecked the economy in 2006-2008 - are now within the margin of error of being the biggest party in the polls.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

i reckon Bertie wins it ,

But the rouge in me would love to see McGregor win it just to see what would happen,

I'm well aware it would be total **** show but sometimes a man wants to watch the world burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,240 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd love to see one of the dignified and brave people who came forward to expose what the church did here and to them in the past be made President by the people. Someone like Catherine Corless for instance.
    A President to signify catharsis, so to speak, a coming to maturity, and a very public admission that we as a people got it terribly wrong until we separated church from state, albeit that job is by no means complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Bertie has more chance of being elected the next Pope then he does of being elected the President of Ireland.

It would be a crazy move for him and FF. All his past in the spotlight again and maybe more. It would be a filthy campaign. Second thoughts, maybe they are that out of touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Wonder who will SF put forward? It can’t be Adams anyway.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You seem to be missing the connection between the voters and the parties… There was very little to forgive, the voters just needed a little time to recover before going back to voting for for the parties that represents their views. It's the same everywhere, people don't change their views much even over time and PR reflects that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Surely the safest option for FF is Michael Martin?

• Advertisement

If Martin runs he wins I feel. But the only way he'd run is if he doesn't have a shot at being taoiseach after next GE. With the numbers showing that the next government is likely going to be FF + FG + somebody else, it will come down to how close the FF and FG numbers are. If a rotating taoiseach (or a FF led, full time taoiseach) situation is off the board, so that the FF leader will end up just being the Tainiste for the full term, then I can see him running. If Martin can be taoiseach, he'll stay put there and not run.

Agreed. MM got a taste of the Taoiseach's office. He liked it. They people seemed to like him as Taosieach. He probably doesn't want to go down in history as having the shortest tenure in that role - also he got robbed by Covid of his opportunity to go to the White House for St Patrick's day!

Would disagree he would be a shoe-in.
    He was surprisingly good as Taoiseach largely because he kept his head down and cultivated the statesman image.

As Presidential campaigns can be dirty I think the dangers of his past coming back to haunt him would be high.

Five figure sum from Owen O'Callaghan comes to mind.

I think it's unfair to label the Labour 2011 promises as "ridiculous." And if indeed they were then you can argue they shouldn't have made them in the first place

While it's true that FFG wrecked the economy in 2006+ at least they were very honest with where their loyalties lie, from playing golf with anglo bosses to shafting people without health insurance to taking the knee to Donald Drumpf at Shannon Airport to a €300,000 bike shed. All of these are expected of right wing voters. Generally speaking, left wing voters are much more likely to hold the political parties they support to account.

I think when the last of the old crew are gone from the Labour party, they will rebuild but not before then. Realistically Alan Kelly, Ged Nash and Brendan Howlin need to go before any real credibility is brought back to the Labour Party

Yes I would argue that they were both ridiculous and should not have been made, e.g. "Labour's Way not Frankfurt's Way", no third level fee increases, etc.)

"FFG" was not in power in 2006, let FF take the blame for that debacle.

Which minister signed off on the bike shed? People seem to have no idea how public administration and government work in the real world as opposed to online memes and soundbites.

Scrap the cap!

No minister signed off on the bike shed. Do you think line ministers approve directly all expenditure in their departments?

‘The Minster is only in charge of the good stuff’ is what’s wrong with the system.
    If he/she falls on their sword because of something like this, how long do you think it would take before proper oversight was put in place? The buck stops….and all that.

"No minister signed off on the bike shed."

Bingo.

Plenty of people seem to think that Eamon Ryan wrote the cheque personally.

Scrap the cap!

Nobody knows who knew what or signed off here.
    Unusually this project had made newspaper headlines before and after it was built, the Ceann Comhairlr, Ivana Bacik and Ryan, the current Minister and two Dáil committees all knew about it before it was built, but the line Minister at the time never heard anything about it all the way through the process apparently.
    We need to wait until the information tumbles out to be able to categorically claim anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bertie should run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm sure he's sorely tempted being that he has become a darling of certain media. He's on commenting on stuff more than Micheál Martin this last while.

Everything dodgy he was ever involved with will be (rightly) dragged out into the open again - and that's a LOT.

He really doesn't look very well and I wouldn't be certain he'd make it to the end of a first term never mind a second.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He may , but at the moment I can't see anyone else likely to win.
    Mcgregor? (lol)

Assuming Bertie and not Micheal is the FF candidate then I would give a fair shot at him winning. He's got my vote anyway.

I'm sure Bertie's delighted.
    Not so sure if the Irish electorate would want their president reacting like this when he is asked legitimate questions:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

As far as I recall, George Hook has said he will run against Bertie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭LastApacheInjun

My we have short memories.

Bertie certainly got some great PR company to get certain journalists to write glowing pieces about him in the newspapers regarding his role in the Good Friday Agreement. Which is not to say that he did not have a pivotal role in that. It was a masterclass on how to rebuild a reputation. But those shmooze-pieces conveniently glossed over the "dig outs" and "helping hands" he got from certain friends over the years. Remember he didn't have a bank account when he was Minister for Finance? And the less said about bankrupting the entire country the better. Bertie would understand the role as President fine, and would do a passable job, but he absolutely, absolutely, absolutely, doesn't deserve it.

McGregor is obviously a sociopath, and probably believes he could win. But if he has anyone sensible giving him advice, he'll stay well away from it. We all know we can't mention it on the internet, but we all also know a certain thing that he did, that through certain connections that he has, didn't end up with any repercussions. Every Irish politician knows that you can't have someone like that as President. If there's even a sniff that he'd get enough backing, I'd imagine there are ways and means that that incident would end up in the media again. He'd be very ill advised to put himself in that position.

Wouldn't have a chance of a nomination.

I would be amazed if there are more than 4 nominations next time - FF, FG, SF, and centre-left parties/independents are the only potential sources. Council route will be sat on by the parties.

• Advertisement

Councillors really made themselves look stupid the last couple of presidential elections.

Scrap the cap!

Not to mention that the generation that got most badly burned by the housing crash are now at the ages where they are one of the most important electoral demographic groupings.

Good luck winning an election that massively depends on transfers (you need to reach 50% + 1 of the vote) where large portions of people aged 45-60 hate your guts.

The last three contested elections all had ridiculous council route candidates; and then we only had one before that in the past 50 years!

Yeah I think in the past there were a lot of abstentions on those council votes that allowed people to get the nominations. I don't think that that will happen again. If just FF & FG alone vote against motions there's probably not a local council in the country where you could get a majority (definitely not if you add SF to the naysayers)

They set a very low bar the last time.

I see Auntie Vaxxer's wikipedia article has been carefully curated by SF to remove all the questionable stuff she uttered and endorsed. An empty shell is left.

The Brave New World is just around the corner.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Young Dev is retiring from the Dail.

• Advertisement

Cuiv O, Eamon ? That was announced a fair while ago. Another dinosaur falls over moaning and dies.

(Note how he was "creative" with the alphabetical ordering of the ballot paper)

Scrap the cap!

Presuming O’Cuiv has no skeletons he would have a better chance than Micheàl or Bertie

Chancer of the worst order and enacted nationwide legislation to create taxpayer-funded non-jobs for the girls and boys of his constituency… I suppose in Irish politics that's a win 🙄

Scrap the cap!

I doubt that would be on a par with the questions the other two would be asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,254 ✭✭✭✭briany

Irish presidential politics is not American presidential politics, thankfully. While American presidential politics is a circus it's hard to look away from, I really don't want that circus coming to town, so to speak, and it would be utterly cringeworthy seeing eejits like McGregor campaigning on vacuous, vain promises that they would have absolutely no real power to make good on anyway. It's what was so stupid about Casey's platform.

A stable and sound individual who is a good representative of the country and is able to perform their constitutional duties ably. All you want, really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement