Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Knockdromin

Did I though? Read what I said again. I asked the question and gave an answer on who the favourites will be next year. And I stated that the current champions are the ones with the target on their backs. It’s their title to lose afterall.

Being favourites is pretty much meaningless and guarantees sweet fcuk all anyway. Didn’t even get Limerick to the final this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Going into 2025, it’ll still be Limerick with the targets on their back if their squad stays relatively the same. All other teams will be thinking that.

One team beat Limerick twice, one team lost twice to Limerick. Which one is currently enjoying the celebrations and homecoming’s?

There’s no prize for beating Limerick. It’s all about lifting Liam and Clare are currently in possession of the trophy. It’s theirs to lose and they’ll fully expect to defend that title next season.

I don’t believe they will feel unduly pressured by that target being on their back, whether you like it or not that comes with the territory of being champions. Teams will also want to beat Limerick but Clare were the best team in the championship this year. It was no fluke, they didn’t have an easy path (as has often been stupidly suggested about 2013), they’re a serious outfit and anyone who watched their games with Limerick in 2022 and 2023 knows there’s very little between them. They now have the added experience of having now won the championship.

Give them the respect that they have more than earned.

Believe me, I respect Clare as much as anyone but there’s a reality to this. Limerick are the top dogs on paper

Yes teams might see Clare as a chance to take a scalp off the All-Ireland Champions but my god beating limerick is the big one

I can assure you that not a single Clare person gives a shyte that they didn’t beat Limerick this year and not a single Cork person wouldn’t immediately trade the two wins over Limerick for the win on Sunday. Limerick aren’t the centre of the hurling universe - Liam McCarthy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Munster will be insane next year with the 3 big dogs (Clare/Lim/Cork) all in one group. If Waterford are good or better it will be madness. The one big unknown is where Tipp will stay down or if there's a bounce back.

I know they don’t give a **** they didn’t beat limerick. And yet everyone going into next year would love to beat limerick as much as anyone else

It’ll be a minefield once again for sure. The other fella going nuts trying to deflect and saying Clare are the ‘top dog’ essentially favs is ridiculous though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Target on Clare's back now, which should make life easier for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭High bike

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think it's clare cork and limerick in no particular order by the way for next yrs munster final. Either might win the all Ireland but I feel the future has to be red maybe saffron and blue we don't seem to be bringing the young lads through. Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think its too close to call, if we didnt get that 45 against waterford , they would have been through ahead of cork to the latter stages of the championship

limerick will make the adjustments in midfield and the half back line to cope with corks speed next year , tipperary have some really good players in the making but i just doubt the man in charge will get it out of them i could be wrong , we are the ones now with the target on the back , and we need a transition so it could be us very easily that are sacrificed next may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We have a younger age profile than Clare and have had more good underage than them recently.

Our last good u20 team was the one that got to all Ireland final I'd say we have got as much off that team as we can? Clare have had 2 minor winning teams recently? Anyway it's not the be all end all.

Clare certainly have as old lads as we have but they haven't been as flogged if you know what I mean.

If our lads commit and for once we get a break re injuries we'll take stopping. It has to be said we were missing 3 all stars v cork. Not looking for excuses as cork were superb as I expected them to be .

Congratulations to clare I must say I was delighted for lohan

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭letsseehere14

We're unsure at the moment who they'll lose but;

Lohan refused to answer if he'll stay on next year.

O'Donnell has spoken openly about travelling in the very near future.

McInerney will be 32

Conlon will be 36

Cathal Malone will be 33

David Reidy will be 32

Then about 7 or 8 others are already also the wrong side of 30.

Time waits for no man as they say. People can ignore it but after 30 the end comes for some quicker than others. 2/3 of their starting team and half of their squad are into the twilight of their careers after reaching the pinnacle.

Best scenario for Clare is if they lose noone and maintain. Thatll be a serious result. If Clare can maintain their current levels without O'Donnell and Lohan it'll be a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Villa05

Tipp are in the same position as Cork were last year with a good crop of young players coming through.

Munster will be carnage next year, it will be an achievement to get out of it whatever your colour

Congrats Clare. Hurling the biggest winner of last Sunday

Could be the highest attended Munster ever. Might try and get down for my first game or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Limerick Cork will be a sell-out.

Clare Limerick will be close to a sell out

Clare V Cork in Ennis will sell out

Clare V Tipp in Ennis will be a sell-out.

Not sure with Waterford depending on the results but Clare v Waterford will be sell out.

Limerick are heading down to Waterford so you would imagine we will sell it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭HurlingBoy

It's hard to know how hungry Limerick will be for it next year. They have won 5 in 6 years with practically the same team through that period. There will need to be an infusion of 3 to 4 players with the some of the regular players maybe needing to become squad players which can be more difficult for a manager keeping the spirit of the group intact. Kilkenny came back after doing 4 in a row and won another 4 over 5 years so anything is possible. Back2Back All Ireland's would be a great achievement for Clare given their age profile. Cork should have serious hunger next year and be highly motivated but there is extra pressure now for them. It's hard to see any other county winning Liam next year. Cork, Clare or Limk

I can't imagine Limerick will be anything other than hungry after a year of watching Clare waltz around with what has been our trophy for quite a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

The neighbours might give visitation rights 🤣

Agree there will be an extra edge to the will to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. I reckon the Limerick team will be itching to get back to action in the new year and put silverware in the cabinet.

I think the fact this year was the drive for 5 it'll leave a very sour taste in their mouths. Limerick are a panel of young veterans like the great Kilkenny team after tipp beat them in 2010. If I was to predict I'd guess Limerick will win 3 of the next 5. Now I don't expect Limerick fans to be that cocky but as a neutral that's what I'm going for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭another36

Agree there is definitely more titles in this team age profile is right to drive it on. Sometimes a loss can remind a team how much they want to win. A semi final is a tough spot to lose this will drive them on.

• Advertisement

A number of things will need to change. There were warning signs on the hunger front. Cork were first to everything for the first 20 minutes of the second half. They wanted it more and Limerick raised a gallop in the closing 15 but they had left themselves too much to do.

It feels like they fall back on their belief that they can turn any situation around because of having done it a number of times before. Got out of jail in Ennis, almost got out of jail down in Cork. The game management needs to be better when the opposition is on top. We can’t go 8-10 points down in games and expect to turn it around.

Team selection has been conservative over the years and rightly so given what they have delivered. But changes are now necessary. A handful of the old reliables only performed in patches. Our half back line needs changes, partially in terms of personnel but also in terms of support from 8 to 12. Cork avoided Hayes, exploited Byrnes’ defensive weaknesses and coaxed Hannon out of his deep lying role and forced him to engage. In both games.

Hunger and hurt will only do so much. A few personnel and tactical adjustments are required, nothing drastic but Cork exposed a number of weaknesses, twice. And we need a Plan B that isn’t just do Plan A better.

We’ll be contenders for another 3/4 years for sure but we need to address a few things first to go from contenders back to winners.

The core of this Limerick team were from the 2015\2017 All Ireland U21 Winning Teams. They are all 28-30 now with alot of mileage on the clock. JKiely did a remarkable job getting 5 All Ireland in 6 years which is unbelievable return. I would be concerned that there is not enough star quality coming through from U17/U20 over the last few years. Apart from Cathal O'Neill no other players have been able to break into the team. The Round Robin won't be any easier next season. Limerick will be still the team that every other team will want to bring down rather than Clare. I think JK will use the round robin to blood more players next season and rotate the players giving them more experience. The likes of Colin Coughlan did not see any championship time and if he had would surely have being introduced in the semi final against Cork. We are light on cover from 2-9 and I think this will be areas that will need to be focused on during the league. There is going to 3/4 injuries to contend with every year.

Yes there's always injuries well for us anyway we're due a break though and if we get it and have a full squad to go with we'll be hard beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont think there is need for drastic change , i think the likes of cathal o'neill and colin coughlin have been groomed to take over in the half back line , a few tough decisions will have to be made but few changes needed , maybe hegerty and hayes either side of coughlin could be the new half back line

We’ll not be getting a break injury wise. There have been significant injuries to first choice players for each of the last 5 seasons. The bulk of the first teamers were born in 1994/95/96 and it’s a lot easier to recover from long term injuries in ones early to mid 20’s than it is in their late 20’s and early 30’s.

Certain players haven’t quite been the same since recovering. It’s something we will continue dealing with, especially when we have a key group of a dozen players moving into their 30’s. We have lads who played non stop from minor level all the way to their mid 20’s until they pick up a long term injury and things have been a bit more stop start since.

Some of those players need to be transitioned into impact sub roles, still a massively important role but I think we’ve seen enough in Adam English and Shane O’Brien to suggest they should be nailed on starters. O’Dalaigh still a bit of a rough diamond but there’s a serious player there once he nails down winning the ball first time. Our defence needs an injection of pace too - Kyle Hayes at 26 is our youngest regular defender. I’d start Fergal O’Connor and Coughlan in all 6 league games next year as both are still not quite there yet and we need to give them every opportunity.

Time to invest in the younger fringe players, we’ll still have one hell of a bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/john-kiely-set-to-remain-in-charge-of-limerick-hurlers-as-treaty-bid-to-recapture-all-ireland-title/a742675920.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR20zEdYMtGufbN6VLwl8CaHPY29K5-7ycTmP1AOwGv8QlVqibf_0JY112o_aem_aiaJssqXddLl0BffnLCe1Q#m02uim2s7s9epwn9rlb

• Advertisement

was it ever in doubt 🧐

Hon Limerick

Great news. Hopefully all the players will stay on board. There is certainly a few more All Irelands in this team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭einn32

Are any of the club games being shown on tv/streaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

doesn’t look like it , too much like work for county board . They also got rid of county program that had all 64 hurling teams for championship weekends in it which was a major step backwards in terms of promotional work . They used the excuse of losing money but it was only small money which is offset by the large takings at the gate those weekends .

What was in those programmes ?

Previews of the whole country championship for the week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭C4000

They had the line ups for every match across all grades.

2025 Munster Hurling Fixtures:

April 19/20th:

• Clare vs Cork
    • Tipperary vs Limerick

April 26/27th:

• Cork vs Tipperary
    • Waterford vs Clare

May 3/4th:

- Waterford vs Limerick

May 10/11th:

- Clare vs Tipperary

May 17/18th:

• Limerick vs Cork
    • Tipperary vs Waterford

May 24/25th:

• Limerick vs Clare
    • Cork vs Waterford

An All-Ireland final rematch to kick it off

Post edited by moby2101 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Where were these published?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Various outlets I think, definitely in the Examiner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 biglad40isback

if kiely was walking away it would be announced by now. Sure davy has left a county and got a job with a county and vacant roles more or less filled since.

Interesting not one player retirement yet.

Anyword on casey. Danilo for forest had a similiar injury completely broken ankle in the prem in august and is expected back january.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 biglad40isback

need curid back. The two seasons she wasnt involved. 2019 and 2024 two sf losses.

Kiely and Kinnerk confirmed for 2 more years.

Was never in doubt. Though my favourite rumour over the last few months was the Paul Kinnerk and the Dutch national hockey team!

They still have the players to win one or both of the two AI’s on the new term. But a number of changes are needed as well. A lot of lessons to be learned from the first half down in Supervalue Park and the second half in Croke Park.

Getting Currid back would be massive, and you’d have to assume contact has been made but Sligo hasn’t gotten any closer to Limerick in the last 12 months. We may need to move on and learn to win without her.

How do you know when a thread is full ?

This one seems to be acting weird so maybe it's time for "part 3"

• Advertisement
Advertisement