Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Greece 10.09.2024 Match Thread - UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It all depends on what you want to define popular as.

No matter how many people go to a FAI cup final or how many more people are going to LOI matches now than a decade ago the reality is the soccer fans in Ireland will spend more money on foreign soccer than they will on the LOI.

Getting on planes and staying in hotels and going to a premier league game featuring world class players in a 60k stadium for many is a lot more fun than freezing your ass off in Mounthawk Park on a February night watching guys who work in the local Centra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

But thats a single game in the year - its a bit like LGFA finals getting 50'000 at Croke Park, but only 500 go to the semifinal.

Its the league attendances that really matter. And the fact is (i) there are too many clubs in Dublin area to support really large attendances for any one club and (ii) the stadiums are really crap apart from Tallaght.

Having said that, the debate is probably about what 'success' looks like - if we had 10 league clubs here averaging league attendances between 6-8000 that would be a really big improvement on where we are now (avg about 3,000). But to get there will stadium improvements. Which will cost a lot of money.

And also, thats a completely different debate - even if the league doubles in size (in terms of revenue) there still wont be any LOI players in the national squad. Any more than you'd want English League Two players in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

"One swallow does not a summer make."

Judging the health of the LoI based on the cup final at the Aviva might lead to the wrong conclusion. A final between 2 Dublin clubs like last year will always have a higher attendance which was 43,881.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAI_Cup

Average LoI attendances would be a better gauge and the numbers don't show any increase in popularity.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-of-ireland-premier-division/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/IR1/plus/?saison_id=2023

Top 5 attendances 2024

Top 5 attendances 2023

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Attendances are rising every year.

I think the top division average attendance is around 3700.

It'll be over 4000 next year with Cork City and Derry's new stand.

Once the new Dalymount and other stadium upgrades are completed, average attendance will be over 5000, which is pretty decent when you compare to other European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I would be worried about a manager who wouldn't put on Troy Parrott at all in two games but kind of went like for like with Idah and Ferguson - neither of them offer an ounce of agility or creativity.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

According to this, an avg 5000 would rank us 23rd in Europe for attendances….

We are currently the 28th ranked team in Europe.

Funny enough for those saying 'we are not at this level' - the 27th ranked team is Greece and the 29th ranked team is Finland. So, yes apart from England this is definitely our level, we are just underperforming.

EFS Attendances (european-football-statistics.co.uk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The saddest thing was seeing an empty Landsdowne Road before the game even finished. I used to go to a lot of the games before but stopped going about half way through the Kenny Era. I felt I was wasting my money watching that rubbish on offer and I'm afraid it could be a while before I get the gra to want to go back to watching the ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Check what the average attendances were like 10 years ago and you'll see a significant increase. Also if you notice in some of the cases especially the three Dublin clubs outside of Rovers the average attendance is very close to the capacity of the ground which suggests that we're losing out on spectators due to capacity constraints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

We really have hit a low, growing up the team was always so competive , 80s and beyond - a year ago, we had hope for Ferguson , whether its injuries but doesnt seam the superstar some were making out.

What have you got against Kerry FC out of curiosity? You keep using them as an negative example for some reason.

Also we've been told for decades that the accessibility of players to the general public is a great thing for the GAA, why are you so against it here?

Thats all correct, but we've increased from a very low level to what is still a low level, way below where League Two is in England.

There is no way, even if attendances jump 50%, that we will get to a point where LOI players are in the national squad.

Thats not to knock LOI - I think its great, I attend a lot of games. But they are two different things. A strong LOI will not make a huge difference to the national team. The very best LOI players now get transferred over to somewhere like Fleetwood Town or Mansfield, and dont even get their game.

Its all about youth players and how they are brought through.

It was - agreed. And also the complete lack of atmosphere in the England game, which should be massive. English fans were much louder. Public has completely disengaged.

A stronger league and more importantly stronger club academies will make a difference in the future. We can already see with the u-21 and u-19 the heavy LOI influence in the squads. In time that will feed into the Senior squad. I won't disagree that it's unlikely bar one or two extremely talented individuals that there will be too many LOI players in the Irish senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Those asking how Ireland are still in League B.

They changed the format after the 1st Nations League so no teams were relegated from League B even when finishing bottom of the group as they changed it from 3 to 4 teams in a group.

2nd Nations league a draw against Wales kept them up as Ireland drew two games with Bulgaria and lost the rest. Bulgaria drew two games against Ireland and lost the rest, only 1 team from the group went down.

3rd Nations league a win against Scotland and Armenia kept them up finishing 3rd again in the group.

This current nations league will see Ireland if they finish 3rd again play in a play-off against a team that finishes 2nd in a League C group with the winner being in league B for the next league season and losers being in League C.

• Advertisement

Funny enough the U21 squad that beat Turkey at the weekend had just one LOI players, and also interestingly had no players with premier league clubs.

Republic of Ireland national under-21 football team - Wikipedia

The u19 Squad has 5 or 6, and to be fair these lads are playing League of Ireland, Curtis McManus and so on. But again, is that any more of a springboard than playing for Leyton Orient.

I've nothing against Kerry FC.

They are local to me, my wife and kids have season tickets.

I've been a few times, I'm actually going on Friday night.

I went to see them play Longford away this year*

I just use them as a real example because it's something I have experience of.

And yes the players are accessible, my kids have numerous autographs and the like from them, and my kids really love going to watch them.

The poster I was quoting was implying that following EPL teams was a chore because you had to get flights, hotels etc.

My point was that for many that's not a chore, that's a weekend away.

But my bigger point is that LOI soccer has a ceiling that's not very high because most of the people who say they are soccer fans in Ireland will always invest more time and money in foreign soccer than Irish soccer.

Even in our own house there has been more money spent in the last two years on EPL or European merch etc than on Kerry FC.

*Just a note on Longford Town. Very dismal experience, a very decent ground, all seater, good big stand, and only a few hundred there.

I know it was different back in the day when they were good, but it's really sad looking now.

I'd love to get a power hose to all those seats in the uncovered areas.

Look at the background of the u-21 team not necessarily where they are now, a considerable number came from LOI academies iincluding three from St Patricks who I'd have seen play 1st team in the league.

Fair enough, it just came across as if you were making jibes at them constantly. The LOI has a ceiling that's true but with a bit of investment in academies and stadium infrastructure, the height of the ceiling can be raised. It ain't going to stop people going to the UK for matches that's true but if we can get a bit more of the income that an increase in attendances and transfer fees would bring, then we can raise the standard of the league and then the standard of the national team. It's not going to happen overnight, in fact it would probably be the next decade before we'd even see much in the way of benefits but we would gain.

Two other points that I'm just going to mention off your post, 1- Do Kerry have much in the way of merchandise for sale? It just that I was in Elverys just off of Grafton Street in Dublin on Saturday and what did I see there but a number of Kerry FC home jerseys. Was surprised at that tbh and there was a reasonable range of LOI clothing in the place especially Pats and Rovers.

The second point relates to Longford, they're really struggling atm and it's a real shame. It's not necessarily a soccer issue solely as the town and indeed county seems to be in a downturn but you really see the effects in their stadium and attendances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ireland had a plan of how they wanted to get at the Greece team and they actually did it a few times but the final ball or shot was rushed. Most of the threat came from the right and from Smallbone getting into good positions in the half space inside Ogbene.

Ireland do have some good options to build something around but HH is going to have to find a solution to the left hand side of the pitch and the no6 role and that is going to be very difficult.

Overall too many of the older lads Ireland have are peripheral players that are not going to drive anything forward at this stage, Brady (32), Browne (29), Doherty (32), O'Dowda (29), Robinson (29).

Coleman or McClean for example never had lads coming after them that would be in that 28 to 30 age group now that Irelands younger players can rely on and help push the team on.

Even where lads like Collins and O'Shea have come through in the next generation they have Obamidele follow in the same position or Scales doing well at Celtic. We are in desperate need of a left back and Brady is still called upon. McClean (35) would still be getting games if he felt up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder should Ferguson go on loan to a league 1 club or to Celtic, to get his confidence back?

The LOI has a ceiling that's true but with a bit of investment in academies and stadium infrastructure, the height of the ceiling can be raised.

I've been hearing that for years but the way the game is run in this country continues to be a s**t show.

Look at Dundalk right now.

I'm not going to hold my breath on the ceiling being raised much anytime soon.

Getting back to Kerry FC, unfortunately they may be gone in a few years.

How do you keep a club afloat that has 5 league wins in a total of 66 games thus far in their existence, people will just drift away from them.

We've seen so many regional clubs come and go over the last few decades, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Monaghan Town.

It's such a hard slog for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He should go to a Championship club.

He's not going to get many minutes at Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

League 1 ?? he has had a big drop , but injury hasnt helped , maybe a move to Celtic or Championship team , but I'd prefer him to stay at Brighton, they have a great setup ther

Championship is a tough league, league 1 he will be banging them in, same as if he moved to Celtic, he needs a confidence booster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think the bit about the final ball is the crux. There were a few times where they'd play it around the back and the midfield were not really showing for it (when there are 3 of them I'm not sure why this is the case) and they would seemingly lose patience and get itchy feet to try something long.

The only way to make that formation work is quick passes through midfield and release the wing backs high up the pitch. Instead they were going long towards one of the two wing backs and bypassing midfield completely.

Lack of brains and lack of balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You could take the best manager in the world and he won't make a success of those players. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as the saying goes. I think we have to start at youth level and bring them on. Many LoI clubs have good youth teams at U.17 to U.21's. Nurture these and also put money into the League of Ireland and build it up. It has always been neglected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Absolutely. Basic stuff. This is how almost every other country in Europe develops players. The reason we've dropped so far since the Premier League came in is because English clubs have so many other options to choose from and don't want to develop our players any more.

No-one's saying the national team should have 5/6 LoI players. But it should have a majority of players who came through domestic academies. That's how pretty much every other country in Europe works.

And merging Bohs/Shels has nothing to do with that

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ireland have enough (too many) players playing at clubs who are in leagues of a relatively low standard. Ferguson is too good to waste his time in league 1 or the SPL, he needs to be surrounded by the highest standard of players he can to help him develop.

I think he's good enough to stay in the Premier League and get minutes but he shouldn't be going any lower than the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

I was lucky enough to play 2 charity games last year in Dalymount and Tolka Park. The facilities, changing rooms and pitches in both stadiums, but particularly in Dalymount are disgraceful. The amateur clubs in the Leinster Senior League would put them to shame and this is our flagship division. It just sums up Irish football...no money, no ambition, too many institutionalised egos afraid of change. They gripe about the portion of funding horse racing and greyhound racing receive,(and rightly so) but at least they run their organisation efficiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ferguson needs to be let fully recover before he get any more minutes.

More minutes in his continual half-banjaxed state is the last thing he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

I keep seeing Dundalk mentioned here. Yes thats a Sh**e show but its a bad owner and maybe the FAI should get some flak for that for allowing/approving his take over of the club. If we are going to keep mentioning Dundalk at least mention Everton who without a take over may also not see out the season. A bit of perspective, bad owners are bad owners no matter what league they buy into.

The FAI looked for 10M a year i think to pay for full time academy staff across the league. The FAI looked for what, 600M over 15 years to improve facilities. Our Government just got a windfall of 14B that can be used for many things across the Island to improve the lives of everyone, I for one hope they can find may 2/300M for Irish football and see it as a long term investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

The government simply don't trust the FAI with any significant cash injection. They don't seem to have any solid plan at all. Only for Uefa cash the LOI would be no better than a Sunday league division

im sure he isn't injured now or Brighton wouldnt have let him go to play these games. he is just rusty and not match fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

He looks miles off match fitness which makes you wonder why he was being brought on ahead of the likes of Robinson and Parrot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Parrot must have absolutely bombed in training not to get on ahead of Ferguson.

The other one is Callum Robinson, comfortably our top scorer and very lightly used.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Spoken like someone who knows very little about the league. Utter utter nonsense. The FAI do have a plan, im fact the first proper plan presented to government. The FAI can be slagged for a lot of things but they are at least trying tk be professional in terms of engaging with the government.

Instead of slagging off the league, go support it, you'll most likely see a future international playing at 16/17/18 years of age..

• Advertisement

Any chance Ferguson is the next Aaron Connolly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

As long as that lay off isn't the start of a persistent injury problem I wouldn't worry about Ferguson. There were red flags to be found on Connolly's social media almost from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Not only are the players poor we now have a manager who brings nothing to the party-interest level among the public is zero watch the crowds fall .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The way we are going we won't be at Euro 2028……………

• Advertisement

I reckon Connolly will be playing LOI soon enough.

Is he even a professional footballer anymore?

No club at the moment, Celtic was mentioned lately but more like the Tallaght hoops he will be playing for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Deleted

Mod: warning applied to this post

Post edited by ittakestwo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Deleted

• Advertisement
Advertisement