Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think happens after death?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

But if consciousness is a function of the brain,

how can one be conscious of one's own state after death? In death all neuronal activity stops. The body decays into the basic chemical building blocks from which it is made.

You are dust and to dust you will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

I come from a family that was steeped in religion as was the whole country at the time.

3/9 of us still believe.

Personally, at age 14/15, I began to question the morality of a religion based on fear.

And it is simply a question of belief.

If you believe there is a god, there is a god.

If you don't believe there is a god, there is no god.

There is no point in discussing anything with someone who subscribes to peasant myths from the Middle East of 2000 years.

I was going to say it beggars belief...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There is no point in discussing anything with someone who subscribes to peasant myths from the Middle East of 2000 years.

Mod warning: This is not a forum where you are allowed to openly attack the Christian belief system in this manner. Please read the forum charter before posting here again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

I sure did. Christians are absolutely certain there is an afterlife. If you are absolutely certain of something you can't at the same time be hoping its true.

Therefore, by your own logic, Christians are without hope and therefore hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There we go, I knew you were a Born Again Christian by the way you were writing. It's very easy to spot.

All these millenarian era Christian denominations, such as Born Agains, Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses write and speak with an incredible amount of conviction and dare I say it, utter condescension and scoffing towards what anyone else thinks. Like they're part of a secret club.

We have another terms for such secret clubs you know, they're called 'cults'.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

I don't know what happens after I die. I know what happens after other people die.

Some people believe in an afterlife but I won't be making any decisions in this life in the hope of being rewarded for them after death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Do people going to door to door are just about stroking ones ego? Did you say that about prochoice campaigners knocking on people door during the abortion vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

The bible speaks of Christians as having this experience. If a person hasn't experienced what Jesus spoke about, they are not a Christian in the biblical sense of the word Christian.

Just because your parents are Christians doesn't automatically make the child one.

Likewise, the performance of a ritual on a baby or adult, doesn't make them a Christian.

I suggest you read the new testament to understand the definition of a Christian. The Apostles lived with Jesus 3 years. They still needed the experience demonstrated in Acts 2. The gentiles and Samaritans has the same experience as you read on in the book of Acts.

As for the word Christian. It was a derogatory and slanderous term used by the general population. The early church never referred to themselves as such.

As for secretive cult. We meet in a building on a main street and our doors are open to anyone who wants to come in and hear what's being said. Nothing secret about that.

As said, it's not a new phenomenon. Jesus spoke about it (John 3) . The old testament prophets spoke about it. Not sure why you think it's a modern idea. It's plainly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No. Because that had the obvious intent of informing people and getting the vote out to repeal the 8th amendment and it was very successful.

You'd have to be some lunatic to change your religion because someone happened to knock on your door. It hardly ever happens yet these eejits keep trying again and again.

The public preaching stuff is just performative, extremely annoying (nobody should be allowed use amplifiers in a public place, including buskers, imho)

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

We meet in a building on a main street

So you are a member of a religion after all.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

What makes you think that ?

The local GAA club meets at a venue as well as does the local ceolthas. I suppose they're religions by your definition.

Ridiculous comment but not surprising given your off mentioned position.

Really not sure why you bother coming into this forum. I suppose it strokes your ego, a bit like those who preach on the street.

Mod note: From the charter, we define Christian here as described below.

• 2. For the purposes of this board 'Christian' means broad assent to historic Christian belief such as is contained in the Apostles' Creed. Individual posters with other beliefs, however, are welcome.

Suggesting anyone else is not a Christian for any reason other than the above is not acceptable in this forum and also constitutes a breach of the charter. As has been said previously, Christianity is a broad church which contains many differing, and occasionally opposing, views and beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

So changing mind on social policy at the door is normal but changing your worldview isn't. You are talking in circles.

Mod note: Warned for breach of points 3 and 6 of charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

Stumbled across this on the main page while checking my inbox...

I'm a firm believer that once I take my last breath and my heart beats it's last - that there is simply 'nothing'. The same 'nothing' that existed before/as I was conceived.

In fact, the idea that there is a white-bearded man in the sky waiting for us is, in MY opinion... utterly ridiculous.

And what if you're wrong?. I'm sure you couldn't be but what if your wrong

Canvassing is normal before every election and referendum and done by all sides, and all they want is that you take a few minutes on a specific day to vote, then they leave you alone.

People knocking on your door expecting you to turn your whole life upside down because they say so is rather different.

The use of the word "we" implies a congregation of some sort. I would call a congregation of people worshipping a god a religion, how would you define a religion?

This is not a forum exclusively for Christians, is that what you want? No other opinions allowed? Burn them at the virtual stake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'll tell you what happens after death. You get a full time job(day in day out) and live in a high rise block of flats like Ballymun but on a scale that isn't seen on this planet as in there are tower blocks for miles in each direction from the one you live in. You will always have a job but you will never be rich.

• Advertisement

So really no different to the local GAA match with a few thousand people worshipping the people running up and down the pitch and shouting their adulations to the winners.

Or a rock concert in slane , everyone in a state of ectasy gesticulating towards the altar they call a stage as their god of music belts out his or her latest song.

I don't recall the GAA or Bruce Springsteen laying out a dogma for how I should live my life, or threatening me with eternal hellfire if I displease them.

You didn't answer my question, how do you define religion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭monara

T

The question raised was "What do you think happens after death?". I think it was a mistake to view this in a religious context. Most religions seem to promote the idea of life after death if only to support a belief in religion, If there is no life after death, there seems little point in any religion.

The answer to the question must ultimately be a personal one. I always wince when our priest prays for us to be kept safe for eternal life. Who would want to live eternally as an arthritic oldie suffering all the indignities of age as well as having the memories of mistakes made and dreams shattered? Oblivion and descent into nothingness may indeed be paradise for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 EthelMercaptan

Viewing the question in a religious context would seem entirely appropriate if posted in a Christianity forum 😀. Both Old and New Testaments indicate post-death consciousness with awareness of identity, personal history and in a permanent state of being either saved or unsaved. The promise of resurrection for the saved is in regenerated physical bodies just as Jesus appeared after the crucifixion, no diseases, no ageing but a restoration of the pre-Fall state, albeit older and wiser. From a Christian perspective, the answer to the question can't be anything other than Jesus taught - it's the final destination which is a personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

We rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The fact there is anything at all and no one can claim where it came from makes me think there is a whole lot we just don’t know for sure.

Anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

This being a Christian thread in a Christian forum means there can only be one correct answer.

Heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Or even Limbo, though I understand it isn't part of modern doctrine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 EthelMercaptan

The OP raises a fair question because at least in my experience, there is very little detail in teaching on the subject in traditional churches and outside of those, most people's interaction with the Christian perspective will be vague "reunited in Heaven" platitudes at funerals. Jesus certainly didn't shrink from discussing the here-now reality of Heaven and Hell as well as the urgency of making the right choice ahead of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Murt2024

Get to beat up all the pedophile priests and nuns from the baby care homes in Heaven.

Also ask God why he gave my child cancer.

Warning for breach of points 1 and 3 of the charter. Please read it before posting here again.

Purgatory still is in the RCC, the various reformed churches appear to have differing opinions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies, only seen this reply today. that isn't the alternative in my view. The alternative to me is ceasing to exist personally. Yes I will exist in the memories of others for a short while but in reality, I will be gone, there won't be a soul or spirit trapped or conscious of its state, I simply will no longer be. it is an unpleasant thought but that is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And really we as a person will only exist as long as other living people remember us. Once all those people die off too, we are only a name in history. Admittedly with so many videos and photos of us now online, images of us will be more easily accessible, you'd think? At least moreso than say my great great grandfather etc. He lived a life, had a wife, kids etc, yet now it's like he was just a speck in history. I don't even know his name. I will be like him some day.

Sobering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't think it's an unpleasant thought at all. I take a lot of comfort from the idea that we have an opportunity to make the most of the one lap round the track we get and that when we're gone we're gone. That motivates me to keep moving forward and doing things, learning new things and trying new things etc as long as I have a pulse. I always look forward, never back and absolutely hate endless "remember when" type social chit chat.

Yes we'll be remembered by those who loved us and who we had a positive impact on but those memories will inevitably be diluted by newer memories made by those same loved ones after we die and diminish all together as they too die away.

Most of us love or loved our parents dearly but how many of us have strong memories of our grandparents and how many of us even know the forenames of our 8 great grandparents or much about them at all?

I like the closure of being dead. You ran your race. It's now over. End of.

Very much so, I do struggle to deal with it when it occasionally crosses my mind but to the best of my knowledge those are the facts as I see them. Once my friends are gone, followed by my immediate family, I would be remiss to think I will be ever mentioned out loud again. On the same note, it is unlikely to bother me at that stage (joke) but it is sobering and I can see why many turn to the comfort of thinking of alternatives.

I do live my life like that, I do try to do the best I can while I can but it doesn't make me feel better about death, it is just who I was raised to be. I suspect my fear will alleviate with age, it is certainly less than in my youth. I already have grandkids and I am lucky enough to be young enough to be a fun grandparent. I will quite likely see my great grandkids and still be in OK shape. My own were all gone bar one, and while I loved her, I never seen her in any place but her seat in the kitchen. Never occurred to me about age, that was who she was to me. More recently, a neighbour talked about my grandmother galloping across the field, chasing cattle like an Olympic sprinter, full of youth and vigour, but I never knew her like that. She would always be in that seat, but with a razor wit.

Very much my philosophy as well. I see life as being composed more of a series of events, past and future, rather than just a dwindling sequence of days and years. I strive to enjoy life and try my best not to worry or pay much heed to things I can't control. Death is inevitable so falls squarely into that category. Growing old is too, but that doesn't mean plenty of fun stuff isn't available all the way to the end if we look for it. Planning for this fun stuff to happen in between the day to day drudge is essential in my opinion.

Going through some health issues myself at the moment which may entail some hefty surgery worst case (hopefully not!). Had a great natter with friend about it yesterday which was both dark and humorous. We agreed to meet for a coffee next week to discuss it further, at which point he asked that if I died beforehand, I'd ring to cancel. Sure I said, making a mental not to call the solicitor and add a line to my will saying 'In the event of my untimely demise, please call PN to say coffee's off' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Light switch comes on at 0.00 hours and 0 years.Light switch goes off at: - whenever.Thank your mammy and daddy for it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

We should be respectful to all animals.We share the planets with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I believe that there is of course life after death…BUT…not in the way most people think of the phrase. I believe that when we die, as with the trees and other living things, that we decay (or ..rot… as someone previously posted) into the soil/earth, thus nourishing it and providing the fundamentals required for more life to continue and thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Juza1973

Jesus will clarify us what happens after we are dead. The soul is immortal and it belongs to him.

Advertisement