Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were in charge of the 13 Billion windfall for Ireland what would you use it for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I presume this 3K will come in the form of an Apple voucher for the new iPhone16 Pro…….

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Baseball72

One-third to the national debt, one-third to (worthy) infrastructure, and a third to the rainy day fund. That's the past, present, and future covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭NiceFella

A metro when we don't even have adequate places to live is putting the cart before the horse.

Build houses and affordable student accommodation and a new prison etc. Put a serious chuck into developing green energy methods. Another large chuck into stem education.

A billion to me for consultation. Pints on me for everyone in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭gossamerfabric

Prison space or a prison ship or two.

O/T for Gardai until enough Gardai are trained.

More funding for DPP

More truancy and youth diversion services.

Councils given funds to turn land zoned residential in to land zoned residential with services accessible.

floating LNG terminal for security of supply because those wind turbines need backup.

More deportation flights for those who have reached the end of the road on the Asylum process and have been shown not to be legitimate Refugees.

More university places rather than taking in foreign students for respectable careers that Parents would be happy to see their offspring persuing. More training places for absolutely everything on the critical skills list and then taking those critical skills off the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Instead of just student accommodation, if it was used to start a plan on rebalancing the Dublin vs Rest of Country debacle, it would start to alleviate (very slowly) some of the issues in Dublin, such as poor transport, lack of accommodation etc etc by reducing demand, improve Galway, Limerick, Cork and some other towns and more people can live/ work there. We need more balance in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I worked hard and saved through my late twenties and early twenties to get a deposit and be able to get a loan to buy a house but that was because my parents had also worked hard and saved and brought me up to understand hard work and long term goals.

There are a load of people who's parents didn't ever work amd so didn't teach their kids to work.and now those adults need housing. It's not fair that they are forced to live in rental properties just because their parents didn't raise them to save or even to work so I think we should buy them all houses in nice estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Finish the Children's Hospital. Should just about cover it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Berlin Brandenburg airport has been open for years. But yes it was about 10 years late and wildly overbudget.

• Advertisement

It was only invested in government bonds as the principal aim was to guard the capital. It lost a small bit but has recovered beyond that now. Sovereign Wealth funds are far more aggressive in their investment and would expect much higher returns in the long run.

As to what to do with the money, I'd say infrastructure but our slowness in rolling out infrastructure has little to nothing to do with financing. We can afford the metro no problem, the slowness is entirely around planning to one degree or another.

The same issues would be run into with any other large infrastructure project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

politicians and planners are increasingly of the mind as am I and many people using the current Dublin Airport… that with the unprecedented nutsville, mental, off the scale population growth, a second airport is / will be needed in Dublin.

invest in the DAA, which is still a 100% Irish owned state company so it can be done.. to build another small airport….comparable cities like Glasgow, Stockholm have two airports and it will be needed and so can be done…. Will have to be done….

No planners or politicians are of that mind. Dublin Airport has the capacity to easily grow to 50M passengers or more. Diluting network effects with a second airport would be incredibly foolish.

It would also, as things stand, never ever get planning so they couldn't waste money on it if they wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

More prisons with electric chairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭StudentDad

A train line to Dublin Airport so that the airport is accessible from all corners of the counrty quickly and cheaply. The way this place is run though, by the time the plans are in place to build it, inflation will have reduced 13 billion quid to about €3.50 and I'll be 160 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

One thing for sure is contractors prices will be going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭iniscealtra

childcare being publicly run

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭greyday

Give it to Cork obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

limerick cork motorway

Cork ring road

Dublin airport train line.

Shannon/cork airport train lines

Invest in apprenticeships

invest in doctors/nurses and enable and incentivise them to stay in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭whatever.

Underground tunnel bypass for Galway

Contract the UK to build a nuclear power station for us beside Hinkley point

Wouldn't be anything left after that but they are two projects we'd never do or be able to afford otherwise. Both offer 50+ years of benefits and proctect the environment and reduce costs for the people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a tunnel under dublin linking the port tunnel with the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As The government and Apple unlawfully colluded to deny the taxpayer the benefit of this money during a time of extreme austerity and hardship I think a portion of it should be put in trust as a hardship fund that people can apply to in memory of those who succumbed to the pressures of that time. Some of them I knew myself were business people who could have maybe survived had they got the preferential deal Apple got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I figure it's enough money to buy 3 to 4 General Elections so wouldn't expect any grand plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

That's a noble idea! I'd be interested to hear what your criteria would be to apply for funds though. I'm not being smart but how do you identify the deserving from the chancers?

I still stick with my rebalance the Dublin vs The Rest idea (but I'd deffo give you a few quid for the above!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Infrastructure, Education, Childcare

I agree it would need to have criteria, what those would be will take a bit of thinking about. But high up there would be a fund for people in difficult situations through no fault of their own, accidents, acts of god, hardship due to the actions of others etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

In a virtually fully-employed economy, with an acute housing shortage, pouring more money into infrastructure just because there is 13 Billion floating about is likely to be dangerously inflationary. This point is totally ignored in so many recent posts.

How is putting money into infrastructure inflationary?

You know irish companies who went to the wall who had operations and entities all across Europe and weren't headquartered in ireland? Cause that seems unlikely and they are the only ones who could have benefitted from the same tax setup as Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,673 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement

Podge stop.

I didn't say 'the same tax setup as Apple', I said 'the preferential deal Apple got'. I.E. A deal that was preferential to their particular tax circumstances/commitments.
    If that wasn't clear consider it clarified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

It needs to be pumped into healthcare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

It will make a difference its 14 billion paid back on the capital amount so that has a knock on effect of having less interest to pay on a yearly basis it makes more sense to do this than anything else as everyone will benefit and the money saved on the interest could off income tax and give people working their holes off a bit more money in their pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ah, but what else did the Romans ever do for us ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭taratee

One of the last places I'd put it into. We are spending too much on healthcare as is.

Am Yisrael Chai

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭greyday

The area around the Apple plant in Cork has been neglected for decades, I am sure Apple would be happy to see their immediate locality benefit from proper infrastructure at this stage.

With the interest rates we pay and easy access to debt investing in almost anything would be better than paying down the debt, be that investment à wealth fund or capital expenditure.

The "preferential deal" was inextricably linked with our interpretation of their tax set-up.

There is nothing to compensate anyone else for and setting up a fund for companies who bankrupted themselves would be a criminal waste of the money and would, in any case, be equally illegal state aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

That's like giving a gambling addict money and sending him shopping. No money left and no shopping done. People say housing which we need but didn't I read somewhere the housing dept doesn't even spend it's allocated budget most years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

….and again, most of our current inflationary issues are from our supply side not our demand side, i.e. not from the increase in the money supply, but actually from simply mark ups and wide scale profiteering in certain critical sectors such as energy and other critical sectors!

Again, where did I say 'set up a fund for companies who bankrupted themselves?

Read and properly interpret what was actually said please.

Much like infrastructure the issues in housing are not financial. It is all planning.

Hire 200 more people for ABP would be more effective than most suggestions here.

…with an aging population, comes an increase in demand for health care, so get use to health care budgets to just keep rising, to simply try catch up with our health care needs, noting, we ll probably never have the heath care services we truly need, resulting in our current state of rising social dysfunctions, long term serious health care issues, which in turn just causes a positive feedback loop within our health care system, as the lack of sufficient care simply causes a revolving door outcome, whereby people just keep ending up back into the system, but their health care issues keep exasperating over time…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Build schools - the temporary portacabins are a blight and a scam for well connected people.

Solar panels for schools and hospitals.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ring fence it for metrolink.
    Quadruple the size of ABP and get them to work 3 shifts of 8 hours over 24 hours a day seven days a week to remove the backlog

• Advertisement

We could but we don't need any extra money for Metrolink. The budget is already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I actually added to that post.
    Has existing money been ringfenced for metrolink?
    I don’t think it has according to “experts” on the radio yesterday.

…its not entirely planning, but it definitely plays a part, but yes finance plays a much smaller role, we do have serious capacity constraints occurring within housing, we simply dont have enough people to build, but focusing on the demand side of the problem, is not gonna address our supply side of the problem, i.e. providing more money into this sector wont resolve the capacity constraint, but will simply keep pushing up prices, which of course works well for current owners of property and land, including institutional entities…..

So I see. Indeed I agree on that frankly.

The government doesn't really "ringfence" money as its not a concept that makes sense for exchequer funding. But it is budgeted for (with plenty left over)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

No podge we are best to pay of debt and I will tell you why. Podge prices for everything has gone out of kilter and the tradesmen, public sector and other vested interested are all licking the lips looking at this pot of money and thinking there is one hell of trough coming for me a little piggie to put my nose in. Those in power have shown they cant manage the current tax take we are taking in and the knock on effect of this mismanagement is a serious fueling of inflation when a phucking bike shed costs 330k or over 2Billion to build a hospital what happens then is the tax payers dime is seen as a barter account for those in power with no one actually over seeing it. You can see it even with the whole RTE debacle and its consistent as in it costs the tax payers a shed load of money and no one is accountable not one sacking. Everyone wants a little slice of the tax payers pie and no one is standing guard over said pie. The spend on almost everything should be stopped ( so no increase in current spend and a full stop on all capital projects until the costs are gone through with a fine tooth comb) with both this windfall and all taxes until a system is set up where its all transparent and declared well ahead of time before something like this bike shed is built and where someone is accountable. Until then there needs to be a serious C change within the groups that control the purse alla politicians and the perma-gov more accountability with them losing the same amouont on their pensions if they cost the tax payer money . So with the exception of a spend to set up a proper transparent procurement policing system for our public purse the money should be put off debt. I know there are numerous areas needing it but at what point do we call a hault on the tax payers money being pished off the edge of a cliff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement