Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Borked again ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Yvonne007

At least I know I am not the only one.

Most rational people know that Trump is a maniac.

But as far as I can see, the best argument for Kamala Harris is… she isn't Trump.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭hometruths

TBH I think it is very simplistic to say the best argument for Harris is just that she isn't Trump.

It totally ignores the very valid argument that she isn't Biden either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trump could be running against FDR, Lincoln, Washington...

The best argument would still be they aint Trump.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Neither appeared more presidential because one gave classicly evasive politician answers and the other raved about crowd sizes, illegal immigrants stealing and eating pets and people murdering babies after they're born is an absurd false equivalence and you should expect to be called up on it.

That is not dismissing any criticism of Harris - there is plenty to be made. Her policies certainly seem somewhat fungible, she can indeed occasionally speak in a lot of redundant phrases etc. The problem is when you pivot to suggest these problems are essentially on the same level as those exhibited by Trump it loses all credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think that's it in a nutshell.

Harris is a standard issue US politician.

She's a bit wishy washy in some areas of policy and as Politicians do the world over she shifts direction and avoids answering questions on areas in which she is weak.

All the sorts of things we rightly complain about in our own politicians.

But Trump is simply unhinged and frankly dangerous. His inability to tell truth from lie , fact from fiction along with his obvious massive failings of character and basic human decency mean that the complaints about Harris become trivial and insignificant in comparison.

Had the GOP not failed utterly to expunge him from their ranks and had selected a functioning human being as their candidate then conversations about the kind of topics and behaviours we'll be discussing here in Ireland shortly about our own Harris and the other party leaders become relevant.

However they didn't, so it's a binary choice between a somewhat flawed "regular" politician and an utterly appalling , delusional rapist felon.

That isn't a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah. Its absolutely appalling that the objectively terrible candidate is roughly 50% likely to win the election.

There are some very deeply seeded flaws in America right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Harris not answering is a politician being a politician, the more focused their answer the more likely they are to alienate voters on their fringe. Every leader does it to one degree or another

Trump is a monster who has fractured American politics to a potentially irrecoverable degree.

They are not the same and trying to equate them is straight out of the maga playbook

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm thinking how they twice voted for Obama would suggest that glass ceiling has been broken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why? In a lot of states, waving actual Third Reich flags seems acceptable. There's even the Republican nominee openly praising white supremacists.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Yes and in many more states Obama got elected twice. Republicans will likely never put a black or Female candidate forward I'll openly admit, despite there being many of said members that will tow the party line

Correction, there are two candidates, he's exactly 50% likely to win.

It's notable how the "neither candidate is wanted by the public" line hasn't been re-phrased since Harris took over the candidacy from Biden which suggests MAGA have quite the hold on the news

When did Trump openly praise white supremacists?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sure but that doesn't indicate any ceiling breaking. Nearly 350 million Americans get governed by which of two old, white men either party puts in front of them. Sure, that pattern has somewhat cracked in the past few elections but look at the composition of the Senate or the House and it's still holding strong. It's hard to think of any other country where two men as old as Biden and Trump are the only options.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That is not how probability works....

Elections are not coin tosses (despite the phrase being colloquially used to describe a tight race). He is almost certainly not exactly 50% likely to win though determining the actual percentage is hard to impossible.

To use the probability law, the 2 candidates are polling within a few % of each other in swing states so with a margin of error it's still exactly 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If you'd left it as "its effective coin toss" or "too close to call" or "as close to 50/50 as makes no difference" that would have been fine.

But saying it's exactly 50% (and hell, you underlined exactly) is the sort of statement which is going to get pulled up by the nerdy maths people and statisticians among us (of which I count myself a proud member). The chances of it being exactly 50.000000% at any time are very very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Post Charlottesville, Trump said there were 'fine people on both sides', which is still calling the people who shouted "Jews will not replace us" 'fine people'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Hope that Harris wins because at least she isnt totally unhinged and wont be totally led by the nose by putin etc.

Gas ( sad) part of it is - had Biden said months ago that he wasnt standing DEMS would have a better, more popular canidate and would win by a decent margine.

Likewise had the GOP done the right thing and got rid of trump after jan 6 and gone away from the MAGA crowd they would probably win all 3 .

So the world is stuck with either trump or harris with the latter being the better of a poor choice.

Ah ok. So when he said "and I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally", thats when he was praising white nationalists?

Trump has said so many egregious statements that people can rightfully quote to make him look bad. But when they use this or the "He SaId hE WoUlD bE a DicTaTor FrOm DaY OnE" as evidence of his bigotry, it just makes the people making that argument look stupid.

• Advertisement

Exactly. It was a white supremacist gathering and he praised them lavishly.

The standard counter is to post some link where Trump says he wasn't praising white supremacists which is what he objectively did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You asked he question, 'when did donald Trump praise white supremacists', I answered your question.

Your counter was to say 'but he said this thing another time' which doesn't dispute the answer you initially requested.

And the rest you wrote was just waffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That is not true though is it. Even hard core anti trump people have pointed that out at this stage.

The more popular candidates in the Dems are waiting till next time.

And again you are showing your ignorance.

He didn't say it at another time.

"I’m not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally – but you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers and you see them come with the black outfits and with the helmets and with the baseball bats – you had a lot of bad people in the other group too"

It was in the same breath.

So the assertion that he "praised white supremacists" when he SPECIFICALLY condemned them is false.

When there is so much to legitimately criticise Trump for, why do people insist on making up ****? It totally undercuts your credibility.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could easily find all this yourself but maybe looking at Wikipedia would be a half-start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_views_of_Donald_Trump

Then there are various press articles:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23484314/trump-fuentes-ye-dinner-white-nationalism-supremacy

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/14/laura-loomer-trump-praise-white-supremacist

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/us/trump-proud-boys-biden.html

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-bitter-fruits-of-trumps-white-power-presidency

...and there are many more if you look.

Now, to be fair, he has also criticised white supremacists but I think only ever after he himself was widely criticised for not doing so.

He specifically condemned them and also praised them because he is utterly lacking in anything close to conviction and is obsessed with playing to his audience and can't stand being unpopular because he is a child. He was clearly told he had to condemn the white supremacists but he couldn't do it properly and had to resort to both sidesism (a familiar tactic) and reverting to claiming the crowd, who were chanting "jews will not replace us" had lots of fine people in it.

It's like condemned the racists in the KKK but then saying it is full of fine, non racist people also.

Also the seriousness of claiming he'll act like a dictator is not offset by him saying other crazy crap.

Those are the candidates who put their own personal ambition above trying to save democracy in America. They sound like a great bunch.

Jesus. When he said he would be a dictator on day one, it was an obviously tongue in cheek remark. But you have people claiming that it is an admission that he would be an actual dictator.

It's absolutely crazy how some people willingly misrepresent things he says when there are countless genuine concerns and things that are egregious about the man.

Bizarre behaviour.

It would be like someone claiming that Biden definitely questions the legitimacy of people's race when he said "if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black"

• Advertisement

What are you basing it being tongue in cheek on? He has said it multiple times and I have heard the context in which he said it. He is deadly serious.

How is it misrepresented? He clearly feels he was constrained from doing what he really wanted in his previous administration and wishes to unleash chaos this time round. The man is not subtle in his speech mor has he ever knowingly made a joking or playful comment. He may have verbal diarrhea but the one benefit of this is you get to understand exactly what he's thinking.

His desire to gut the civil service and populate it with people who will unquestionably do his bidding no matter the legal nature of them and to unshackle himself from all controls and norms is one of the more egregious things about the man. And he's telling you directly that he'll do it and you're ignoring it.

The Snopes fact check on this even clarifies:

For the record, virtually every source that covered the Unite the Right debacle concluded that it was conceived of, led by and attended by white supremacists, and that therefore Trump's characterization was wrong

The only person making stuff up is Trump, by pretending that there were fine people on both sides there that day.

There were not.

One side was a racist mob, pure and simple.

Therefore, de facto, Trump was openly praising white supremacists by implying some of them were fine people.

It is Trump giving cover to a racist mob.

You have been duped by Trump's lies and racist dog whistling.

Trump is a racist, who has, during the current campaign come out with stuff about immigrants poisoning the blood of the nation, eating pets, and similar race baiting memes.

So why would someone go to these lengths today to defend him on the semantics of what exactly he may or may not have intended to mean in 2017?

It doesn't make any sense does it?

It was like the posters trying to excuse stuff from Trump like grab them by the pussy… that it didn't mean Trump is a sexual predator, he was just joking … and then we had Trump established as a rapist by a court of law.

Why do people go to these lengths to make excuses for Trump?

He is not just joking. He is revealing himself and people don't seem to be able to handle the truth and so resort to excuse making.

That never do the same for any other politicians at home or abroad.

Trump Says He Won’t Be a Dictator ‘Except for Day One’ if Re-Elected | WSJ News (youtube.com)

You mean to say you believe this quote is deadly serious?

So then you also believe that after day one after he closes the border and drills baby drills, he won't be a dictator?

Or do you just take him verbatim when it suits you?

The man is a buffoon, but why do you choose the most benign and false things to prove your point?

Again, despite previous denials to the contrary, you're posting in defence of Trump. Please make up your mind.

Nonetheless, what you're saying is that he didn't mean what he said. So in other words, you cannot believe anything Trump says

I've not been duped. I don't agree with Trump on most things. I don't find him appealing. I don't find him likeable.

I just think that stupid **** like saying he is a white supremacist is silly.

I like to discuss politics and this particular election cycle is remarkable. but it's absolutely pointless on here. Unless you caveat any statement with "Trump is a prick too", you are accused of being a Trump supporter and piled on.

I have no skin in the game, I don't like Harris, I don't like Trump, but the race interests me. Nothing more, nothing less.

The man is a buffoon. Why are you going to bat for him in post after post?

He tried to steal the last election… so yes, when he dog whistles about being a dictator alarm bells go off.

You could add your own detailed criticisms of … well these are the things I see he has done that are not benign, this is why he is not a fit and proper person to be President.

But you never do, do you?

Instead it is post after post defending the semantics of this point or that point defending Trump.

When have you ever posted an unprompted criticism of Trump, or defence of a Democrat or public figure against one of his baseless scurrilous attacks?
    So you are not doing so from some commitment, equally applied to both sides, to a high standard of proof for claims.

For someone who claims not to have skin in the game, your posts create the entirely contrary impression.

• Advertisement

Nope. Pointing out that you are saying something wrong is not defending Trump.

And perhaps you should take your own advice. You don't believe Donald Trump, until it's adventageous to your stance. Then everything he says should be taken as gospel.

But as per usual, anything that isn't critical of Trump, is classed as defence. I don't like the man. I just like actual discussion that is in good faith and I think that parroting debunked and easily disproven statements like "remember when he praised white supremacists at the rally" doesn't lend to good conversation.

I'll leave you guys to it.

As I said earlier, I thought the politics forum would be of a higher standard than CA, but I was wrong.

No. They know that democracy will still be there in 4 years after Trump.

There was the practicality of the nomination sown up by Biden early on. His being bounced out and Harris being anointed by the leadership, so there was also no chance of the party members deciding in an open contest.

Mod: you've engaged in low level trolling which has been clear and despite other posters here engaging with you in good faith, you've continued with your approach. I also encouraged you yesterday to post with more credibility and you've apparently just ignored me. Next time it will be an actual ban.

Harris being anointed by the leadership, so there was also no chance of the party members deciding in an open contest.

I guess we'll never know if Harris was anointed by the leadership because clearly nobody else was prepared to put their name forward, or nobody put their name forward because Harris was clearly going to be anointed by the leadership.

I suspect at least some of the names bandied about decided they would be personally better off by sitting this **** show out.

I agree democracy will still exist in four years time irrespective of the result.

In a 2 way race there is only 2 outcomes, Harris will either win or the USA will loose, until we know what way every citizen in the swing states chooses to vote it's only logical to assume they will make one of the 2 candidates president

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Me fighting in a heavyweight boxing world championship is a 1vs1. Does not mean that I have a 50% chance.

One of us will win but it's not 50% split

They're eating the DOGS!!!

Donald Trump 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Tell that to the lunatics are still betting Michelle Obama to win this. 😂

…but it isn't actually a 2 way race given that there are more than two candidates!
    (Although the candidate from one of the two big parties is pretty much guarranteed to win)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Latest national poll has her 5 points ahead of Trump. Plus a clear majority thought she won the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Here's the thing though.

If you were at that rally , even just to stand on the pavement and watch it go by , by default at the very very least you are a White Supremacist apologist and a racist.

Simple as that.

Not physically holding a Tiki-torch or not being a card carrying member of the local KKK isn't a get out of jail free card.

So - the absolute facts are that there were not "Fine people on both sides" , not at all.

His message was a dog whistle get out clause designed to not offend the Nazi-adjacent people who went to see that rally but didn't necessarily actively participate. That way , the racist cowards who went to watch the Sh!t-bags march get to think to themselves "Well , obviously he didn't mean me.. I mean I'm not a racist but……."

He tried and failed to walk the line of not offending potential voters and needing to actually condemn White Supremacists.

Just like his "Stand back and Standby" comment about the Proud Boys and when his response when asked about QANON was "I don't really know them, but I hear they really like me, which is nice".

Don't praise , don't condemn and make sure to leave enough ambiguity so they'll still vote for me.

Horrible horrible man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think Irish people just have more of a sense of humour when it comes to Trump. Something missed by the very Trump serious posters here for the past 10 years.

But no time for humour when democracy is at stake, apparently.

Oddly enough , most normal people don't find Rapists particularly funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I suspect many of the serious posters here find nothing funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I don't. However I've been following polls on aggregate and there's obviously a marked diff between e.g. Biden and Harris. It's simply a gauge that's all, just too lazy to type out all the generic disclaimers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement