Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭niallm77

AM REPORTEDLY have been talking to Verstappen about a 2026 move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭quokula

It's amazing how short people's memories can be. Perez proved himself time and again to be one of the most capable drivers on the grid, he's just in the unfortunate position right now to be driving a really difficult car while people massively overplay how good it is because there is a once in a generation talent in the other seat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

McLaren to favour Norris over Piastri in the title fight - as long as they do it in a manner not to piss Piastri off too much then it makes sense. For sure the constructors title is theirs to lose now but hopefully Max can hang on for the drivers. 🤞

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/articles/c4gen1vegx7o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I hope that if Norris does well they keep pushing him to compete for title but, if it's apparent the drivers title is gone, they revert to the "papaya rules" and let them race.

It will be interesting to see if this has any affect on how Norris drives now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

An obvious action taken multiple races too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hopefully it isn’t too late. The papaya rules bs has already cost them points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Fascinating times at McLaren! Be interesting to see what sort of shape that priority takes. Presumably no more Monza type overtakes and allowing Lando to lead the 2 cars where appropriate. They must be hoping that Lando can be the dominant driver over the next few races to make this issue redundant.

Of course I wouldn’t be surprised if Oscar starts looking to drive the wheels off the car to make team orders difficult to implement. Should make for great entertainment regardless!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hopefully! (From a Max fan's perspective ofc 😁)

Seriously though, 62 points is not insurmountable with 232 still available. It concerns me that Red Bull seem to have no clue how to fix their current issues so even with no reliability issues or forced engine penalties, I'm not sure Max will be in a position to fight for wins anymore. The title run in is going to be nerve-racking.

To be fair to myself, I can’t forget things I didn’t know in the first place. That was before I really started watching F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭niallm77

They may revert to a pre-update version Of the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I can see that Mark Webber will always be in Oscar's ear about strategy and how to maximise winning/gaining positions, even against his teammate. And it is certainly possible that Webber is ensuring that the Papaya Rules are exploited for the benefit of Oscar. I think this is what was interesting about the first lap at Monza: Whoever is leading after Lap 1 gets preference, so that puts the emphasis on the driver ensuring they are ahead of their teammate by that stage. Oscar did not hold back on taking that place as soon as he could. But we know it hampered a 1-2 finish for McLaren (so not quite a 'team' approach by Oscar). I expect fireworks before the end of the year within McLaren, resulting from Lap 1 incidents!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lando shows he can't keep places on lap 1, which is the most important lap to gain spots let alone not lose. If I were mclaren I'd be doing what they were doing and target the constructors. I still think the most likely outcome is a Max WDC and a Mclaren constructors title. Fair play to anyone who had money on that at the start of the year. It's going to be like Button's WDC if Max does win, crazy how much the regs are penalizing red bull.

Max to Aston in 2026 would be a good move IMO, I'd love it to be 2025 and put Max and Alonso in the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,569 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah it might be too late already. They're transitioning from not being a championship contender to championship contender in-season. So they're having to change the rules they set at the start of the season. In the past, mclaren would have been about prioritising the total team points rather than pushing for one driver to get maximum points over the other.

I presume they'll have a more formalised approach next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why?

Why would you decide to just give up on the drivers if the impact on a push for the constructors is zero?

This thinking is genuinely baffling to me.

They have more long term faith in Oscar and don't want to alienate him?

Because both drivers are equal in their eyes and they can win the WDC without picking a number one driver. If they set Piastri as a number two now it will kill his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

F1 is setup that way on purpose. The money is in the constructors championship, McLaren built a car and have 2 drivers that are capable of delivering that. Considering how strong they’ve gotten mid season I’m sure that’s the priority.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure they want to find a way to get Lando a WDC too but primarily that’s Landos job to execute. If he continues to have poor starts or gets outpaced by Piastri, it doesn’t look great if they’re going to continually ask his teammate to back down so maybe he can get a WDC.

And it will ruin the idea that they have 2 number 1 drivers if they ask Piastri to sacrifice a third of his season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see RB/Aston sniffing around Piastri if they thought he was unhappy there.

I agree with what Buxton says, I’d love to see a title fight with a few races to go, but I don’t want to see one where one driver really isn’t performing and is only there because the other one is forced into team orders. I want to see Lando sort out his starts and have more dominant races like Zandvoort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭bren2001

Piastri cannot win the WDC in 2024. Its over for him. For Lando to win, he needs help from his teammate. It in no way means McClaren have a #1 driver moving past this season.

Prioritizing Lando as the driver for the final 10 races of this season doesn't end Piastris career. That's hyperbole. Come Melbourne in March, McClaren clearly won't have a #1 driver. If Piastri puts himself in a similar position to Norris in September of 2025, he should expect the same preferential treatment.

Prioritizing Lando for the WDC can be done in such a way to have zero impact on the constructors i.e. swap positions if you're one place ahead otherwise race your own race and qualify as best you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I could see Max at AM 100%, they are really making moves lately and the team they have assembled is quite impressive. He has a good relationship with Newey already, and is very popular with Honda. Could see him taking over from Alonso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Newey was on the high performance podcast this week, it's an excellent watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Think that’s an exaggeration. Look at the last 4 races.

Hungary - long way behind Verstappen in the drivers championship and denying Piastri his first ever win makes little sense.
    Belgium - Norris was nowhere. Multiple cars between them.
    Netherlands - Norris won.
    Italy - here it would have helped Norris.

Just had a look at the points tally after round 6 when Norris got his first win and the gap to Verstappen was 53 points. I think it’s pretty clear that the McClaren has an edge over the Red Bull on average over the 10 races since. Gap is now 62 points.

People can make excuses until the cows come home but he hasn’t been good enough up to this point. He’s failed to make himself the obvious lead driver. He’s the full backing now so I hope he gets going to make it a proper title fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭bren2001

He’s the full backing now so I hope he gets going to make it a proper title fight.

Lot of pressure on Lando this week. It will be interesting to see how he handles it and if he is cut out to win a WDC.

Absolute best thing Piastri can do is make it hard for him. Out qualify and pull away from him in the races or drive up his hole when given the chance.

Hungary would have helped. That's 2 out of four races. If Piastri could help directly by giving points in half the races, that's a huge impact.

You're not making the case that they ought not have team orders by pointing out that Piastri could only help by gifting points to Norris in half the races.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it. It's about winning the championship. I understand Mclaren not wanting to do team orders, but I think they'd be mad not to do it.

If I were piastru, I'd want iron clad, written giarantee that it goes back to normal next season and he's not going to be seen as no.2. Probably easier said than done though, so he should fight tooth and nail to avoid it.

There are a lot of competing forces. Ultimately, mclaren will need to make the decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Part of me agrees with your last paragraph.

Other part of me thinks, if Piastri has outscored Norris across the last however many races and has to purposely hold back the remaining races to support Norris in winning the driver's championship, then theres a good chance next year Piastri can continue that form and start the season better than Norris, which might put him in contention by middle of next season and he will then need Norris to support him for the title. No guarantees in F1, could have a stinker of a car next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If Piastri backs Norris for the rest of the year and Norris wins the WDC, there is not a hope Norris starts anything other than #1 driver next year! The team can call it what they like but once a #1 driver has been established it very rarely if ever just switches to the other driver, and I don’t think a reigning champion has ever been demoted to #2. So it’s not really in Piastri’s best interest going forward to back Lando in such a way. Now is the time for him to establish himself as the more valuable driver, not next year when he could potentially be racing with the champ*

*still can’t see Max being caught!

• Advertisement

Merc didn't enforce that in the rosberg win, after Hamilton winning.

I think it would go back to a fair fight until it was clear one needed to be backed or they'd both lose.

Why would they want to demote Norris to No.2? That would be madness. They could start again at equal status. Rules about who gets priority pitstops and Hungary rules when they take pitstops out of sequence and gain track positions, qualifying running order, equal access to new parts etc.

Why do you think it involves Norris becoming no.2 next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Arguing that it was obvious to give team orders races ago based purely on Hungary is a weak argument from my perspective so it’s really the last race of four. It’s obvious why Piastri deserved that win and why McClaren wouldn’t want to have cost him it in the circumstances.

And that’s it, deserves has a lot to do with it unfortunately. Norris wins substantially more points from the chances he had and this becomes far less of a discussion.

I think Norris has said himself in the last day that it isn't about gifting wins - but (and this is my reading) that in a situation like Monza they would look to swap the drivers - where the extra points for 2nd is a boost to Norris but the prestiege of finishing 3rd vs 2nd is far different from giving up 1st.

I would assume we might also see it early in races where if the two are on different strategies they would ask Piastri to let Norris through to not damage his strategy. Monza, with Piastri attacking Norris at turn 3/4 probably also won't happen - and it seemed implied after the race that McLaren thought his actions there already went against what they had agreed, especially as it put Norris behind le clerc too

Yeah I think now Piastri has the chance to either outqualify and drive away from Norris, or pass him off the line as Norris simply can't do lap 1 for whatever reason and put cars between them. This is an opportunity, if Piastri has the ability I think he does, to put himself an echelon above Norris. I think Oscar's peak is higher than Lando's and the only reason we're putting them together is Lando has more experience and he's being pushed by the english broadcasters.

• Advertisement

It’s going to be spicy! I’d expect fireworks between Lando and Oscar before the season is out.

There’s was suggestion on the thread that if they back Norris this year to get the WDC then they start equal next year, what I was saying is that if Norris wins this year, they won’t be starting equal next year regardless of what Brown or either driver says, so what benefit is it for Piastri to act as a rear gunner this year? Zero IMO🤷🏻‍♂️

That’s true, we’re going back a few years so I can’t remember strategy per se but wasn’t Hamilton still favoured, but Rosberg just kept fighting?!? Edit: it also got very toxic between them with Toto saying after Rosberg’s retirement and Bottas’ signing that they wouldn’t let that happen again.

Ironically enough I was at AD when Rosberg won his title!

No, They got equal treatment. Order for quali was organised at the start of the season, pit strategy favoured the car in front etc.

They had a huge car advantage so the championship was between the two of them.

Ah cool, I can’t remember so thanks. My point still stands tho, the example given is one that got very toxic so I can’t see McLaren doing that in the even of Norris winning the WDC, they’ll say it in public no doubt, but 50/50 calls won’t be 50/50 in my view. Suppose time will tell.

It got toxic when they treated them equally at Mercedes. Team orders are likely to make things worse. Most likely at least one driver leaves as quick as they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I reckon Haas should just leave Bearman in for the rest of the season.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I’d would cost a fair whack to pay off Kmags contract id imagine, 5 points off RB in the constructors too, perhaps they fancy their chances in catching them with Kmag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Poor Sauber. Not a single point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, if someone were to give Lando a Mayo jersey then Oscar would take the championship?

https://x.com/BBCMOTD/status/1835268573989937561?t=QFLMQxTuUhjviafCABSYXA&s=19

• Advertisement

Lando technically still has the world championship in his full control. 7 races left, plus 3 sprints. If he wins every race and takes the fastest lap, and Verstappen finishes 2nd the gap will close by 59 points (7 points difference per race, 7 fastest lap points, 3 sprint points). They would then finish tied on points and Lando would win on count back with more race wins.

Do technically if Lando does everything he can, there's nothing Max can do to stop him. Technically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,477 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya but it doesn't look like lando is anywhere near winning every race or verstappen anywhere near coming second in every race.

I think this race has hurt Landos chances bigtime. Didn't gain enough over max. With be a push to overturn it from here.

Piastri is the real deal. Serious drive today.

Oh I agree. At this point it's probably more likely that Lando could win every race than max finishing 2nd. That red bull has really gone off badly.

Seeing talk of people saying the mclaren rear wing is moving, opening under high speed.

Anything in it, or just something common under high speed?

Don't think so, the tips on the end are clearly rising, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

there’s also videos of the wing doing this at monza too. Assume the fia will be swift to stop this mini drs or will they also say it’s fine like their flexi front wing. Not wanting to intervene now that there’s competition. They were quick to shut down the last team with a flexi wing mid season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The videos show the outer edge really lifting at high speeds. It’ll be interesting to see if the FIA make a test for this, from what I’ve read they only test the wing bending back, not flipping up like this.

While Red Bull has gone down hill, Max was rubbish today. Perez was legitimately faster than him, which means Max was off the pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

In fairness to Checo, Baku is a track he's legitimately good around

Advertisement