Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Ah come on, this is just arguing over semantics, and I’m not going to go into a forensic discussion no matter how much you want to. I’ve better things to do with my time.

The bottom line is that the daa mucked up spectacularly here by not challenging this daft restriction sooner or lodging a new application earlier. They didn’t and that’s why we are where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It isn't sematics. You said "ABP and FCC are merely implementing the law of the land" which simply isn't the case. That absolves them any wrongdoing/incompetence/malice which isn't deserved in the case of FCC. The solution also isn't new legislation as you suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

I tend to agree with lxFlyer here , DAA sat on their bums. Very like what happened with the security screening, didnt do anything until the system was completely overloaded and then responded with "but how could we have known ? "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭dublin12367

I don’t think anyone disputes that the daa should have acted much sooner. They absolutely should. This is now a much bigger than a daa alone issue. It affects every person, business, town and city in Ireland. Many business reported a poor summer season for 24.

We are where we are however. We’ve long established who’s to blame. Daa, FCC and ABP.

Where we go from here should now be the topic for discussion. FF and or FG should now take ownership of this as the greens have no interest.

Shannon and Cork are not viable solutions.

there’s how many applications being unnecessarily held up for months and years on end due to the current system. NIMBYs have too much of a say for such vital national infrastructure.

I for one don’t think we are in any position to keep this cap for 4 years without serious damage being done.

I did find Ryanair’s point in the letter they gave to the DOT interesting. “Section 10 aviation regulation act……. States 10(1)the minister may give such general policy direction (…..) to the commission as he/she deems considers appropriate to be followed by the commission. Irelands aviation policy is to grow aviation.

full letter uploaded by Eoghan Corry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I’m sorry, but enforcing planning decisions is implementing the law of the land.

We can argue the rights and wrongs of the decision till the cows come home, but there were and are proper legal channels for daa to challenge this decision, and they didn’t avail of them.

New legislation won’t solve this issue, but legislation removing planning decisions regarding critical national infrastructure from local authorities might stop it happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Pygmie

I think most people would agree that Kenny Jacobs should be shown the door, no matter what side of the fence you fall on.

why? None of these issues are down to him? He’s in the role of daa CEO just over a year and a half. The daa lodged the infrastructure application under him after 9 or so months.

Ok, so it might be a bit early just yet, but if the DAA exceed the cap like they are threatening then someone needs to be held accountable, and the buck stops with him. If it was an ordinary Joe Bloggs who flouted planning rules, then the authorities wouldn't be long holding them to account, so it shouldn't be any different for the DAA.

they daa aren’t threatening anything. They’ve stated after exhausting all the options available to them they are likely to breach the cap as there’s so much demand out there.

They’ve took all action in their power to comply with the cap and I’ve previously discussed these with you a number of posts back. I’m sure Kenny Jacobs will be fine.

Yet again we’re going round in circles with you in this debate. Are you the man that pays for those ridiculous adverts on X giving out about the cap and the flight paths 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Have you literally ignored everything that you've been told? daa have asked the IAA to reduce slots further to avoid going over the cap. daa have to do what their told by the IAA.

“This leaves Dublin Airport caught between a rock and a hard place. We want to grow so we can continue to connect Ireland with the world and support FDI, tourism and jobs. But while we wait for planning to be granted, we are doing everything we can to comply with existing planning conditions. While our actions to dampen airline demand have reduced passenger numbers by approximately 650,000, we do not control the slot process. We now forecast that passenger numbers will exceed 32 million and will be closer to 33 million in 2024.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2024/09/04/daa-warns-that-dublin-airport-32-million-passenger-cap-will-be-exceeded-in-2024

There is also the issue of a cap that is based on road capacity including transfer passengers who never leave the airport.

daa will exceed the cap, but it won't be on Jacobs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

i think everyone is forgetting how officialdom in Ireland handled the covid pandemic. Many government departments treated it like a never ending go slow, bought into the fear and believed aviation and life in general would never return to normal. For over 2 years, covid was used as an excuse for delays, people using working from home guidelines to get out of doing site visits, just a general slowdown in how things were planned and some people thought there wouldnt be any return to pre pandemic levels of gatherings or movement of people, let alone for things to get busier. We are still suffering the effects of that backlog.

So the IAA are going what the DAA have asked them to do, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

As a public body they more or less have to follow what the IAA decides, even if it is unpalatable. However they are taking issue with the restriction and the IAA draft plan. Case due for the High Court on Dec 3rd

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/2024/09/12/daa-statement-re-the-iaa%27s-draft-decision-on-dublin-airport-s-summer-2025-capacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭davebuck

They won't be caught between and rock and a hard place if the DAA had applied in plenty of time to increase the cap so the following is my opinion.

1. DAA too slow of the mark applying for planning permission.
    2. FCC appear to be refusing all or most DAA planning applications! why I'm not sure but who's in charge of FCC and is there any credible accountability happening on FCC's decisions?
    3. ABP 25 months and still no decision on the night time cap enough said.
    4. Government not going to rock the boat before any general election, PR stunt by the junior minister at the moment! we tried our best.
    5. Regional airports I'm sure will pick up some traffic but can't really see a million plus seats being diverted! Hope I'm proved wrong as it's an all Ireland problem now.

Just hoping we don't drop many jobs or routes because of the cap and IAA slots etc. as at the end of the day a lot of different jobs fall out of the airports and tourism numbers and has the potential to hurt people. Can't really see an early end to this saga unless the likes of the USA start restricting Aer Lingus slots as a tit for tat for the USA carriers in Dublin or even the EU courts get involved.

Plenty of fun and not so fun times ahead!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’m sure a lot of people can’t understand how a county council have some much power of something that effects the nation.

Well the DAA have been treating people living in West Dublin and Meath with contempt since the opening of the North runway, so someone needs to look out for these areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Perhaps they thought that the public authorities were actually reasonable? You shouldn't have to go to court to have transit passengers excluded and that might allow a breathing space to allow proper consideration of the issues.

did the people of west Dublin and Meath expect to see boats going past when they bought a house within 15/ 20km of an airport with 2 east west runways?

• Advertisement

Nope. Nor low flying planes either until the DAA decided to veer off the flight path they got planning for.

planning permission was for the contruction of the runway. Not for flight paths. Flight paths change and evolve all the time.

We again had this discussion a few posts back and have come round full circle again. They don’t just stick the planes anywhere to purposely annoy Meath or west Dublin residents. They do it because they have to follow all the regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

Especially as a parallel runway has been planned since the 60s.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭davebuck

Having lived in both Santry and Glasnevin for 45 years and now in Meath 12 years and still on the flight paths its part of the deal, some days depending on the winds its more intrusive to be honest. You sometimes hear the USA flights coming in to land around the 4am mark and also the cargo flights beforehand. You live in the area around an airport, train tracks (dart) etc. motorway you will get noise same as living in Dublin city centre/Temple bar noise is part of the deal. I have plenty of friends/family around the airport and they except what they were buying into, its not for everybody but the airport and transport options as mentioned Dart will not be getting any smaller anytime soon. What is important is any measures to reduce the noise level on all transport services is looked into and hopefully actioned.

You still don't seem to understand the problem though so this will explain it better than me: https://youtu.be/v6pCTfXS0Cw

You've made your position quite clear but you can at least stop scratching your head asking why FCC are being so mean to poor Dublin airport. You've got one reason right there. 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DAA don't arrange flight paths.

For someone accusing other people of not understanding things, you've shown a shockingly poor knowledge of basically everything relating to the topic on here so far today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

There is an unbelievable amount of inaccuracies in that video and has not been taken seriously by anyone in the industry as a result. For example none of the routes they claimed could work were carried out in the required conditions. Worst case scenarios for both weather and aircraft failures plus a margin on top as required by European EASA regulations.

Also I suggest you understand the difference between the daa, Air Nav and the IAA. All bodies are responsible for different aspects of aviation in this Country. Air Nav are responsible for the flight paths.

• Advertisement

Lucky for us there are better experts in the DOT and FCC who do know a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

When a minister says he thinks Weston could be a potential alternative for commercial traffic, all credibility is lost. My jaw is still on the ground with how little knowledge he has of this industry and how it works. It's scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

No they don't. The have no clue how to operate safely an airport. Let's leave that down to the experts.

They also have no clue about planning as they are holding the country's development and economic future to ransom over a planning condition dating to 2007 which holds no bearing to the infrastructure in place in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Produce some evidence that there are relevant experts in FCC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You didn't say enforcing the planning decision was the law of the land. You said FCC aren't to blame because they were following the law of the land. This is not true. I appreciate what you were trying to say with your followups but you were responding to me saying FCC were partly to blame and they 100% are part of the blame here. There is no law that forced them to put in this cap.

DAA are clearly also partly to blame for not engaging sooner. ABP and by extension the government are to blame for not responding quicker. But the original restriction and its inherent nonsensical basis are the fault of FCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Have You? I’ve asked you the following on the last page:

let me ask you this:

Are you okay with the same or similar number of flights in the air if they are landing in other airports aside from DUB?

I’m still waiting for an answer, unless I have missed it & if I did, I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

He really hasn’t. I have been in Weston & actually asked can an A320/B787 land & take off. I was told that the runway starts in Dublin & ends in Kildare and the full length cannot be used ( except in an emergency I assume ). Weston is in his constituency so one would think he would have got his act together before making crass statements.

No need to apologize. I meant to reply but got distracted. I have said this before, but yes I would be happier if flights were spread out over the other regional airports. I know people on here say that won't happen, but the transport Ministers and DOT think it will, which is good enough for me. One of the reasons I think this is necessary is that it will lessen the localized environmental impact on Dublin, including noise pollution which is a particular bug-bear of mine. Any time I bring this up, people either say it's not a problem (which it is) or talk about farming being worse (yes, but we we're not talking about increasing herd numbers or whatever).

Don't worry, it's just more scaremongering from O'Leary as always. I'm sure you'll get to go on your Lapland trip this winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

When people discuss Shannon I really wish people would stop bringing up the Shannon stopover. That's not what people are looking for. Just more choice and make it easier to use the regional airports. Unless you drive it's difficult to get to Shannon unless you live in Limerick or Galway city. Only recently a 24/7 bus was announced from Limerick city. However any other parts of the mid west and west it's difficult getting to Shannon by public transport. Here in Nenagh it's a lot easier to get a bus to Dublin airport than TO Shannon down the road. Coming from Kerry there should be a regular bus serving Tralee, newscaster west etc all towns with large populations. No need to rail yet even just a better bus service would do to meet the timings of flights particularly from Shannon. Take Bermingham Shannon for example. If you want to go for a weekend t. The flight doesn't leave Friday night til 23.50 and returns Sunday at 13.50. A flight at 23.50 isn't attractive to many. There was q few attempts to run Shannon Liverpool in recent years the reason it failed was the timings were awful

I'm sure the public transport situation also applies for Cork airport. I love using either Shannon or Cork I'm lucky I can drive and when using Cork I've the option of leaving the car at a friend's house close by. It's not just down to airlines putting routes in these airport, it's a collective effort from various parties to make them an easier user experience. Getting some of these right could help the regionals complement Dublin Airport, allowing Dublin to attrsct new long hauls that wouldnt have a hope in hell of been successful from anywhere else in the country.

Cork to hand it to them have been v effective in attracting airlines other than ryanair, airlingus. Shannon seems lazy in their efforts even the marketing of existing routes which is a frustrating to many of us in the midwest.

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Avgeek2255

Your last part was spot on. Its very frustrating to see very little marketing of existing routes. The have a big billboards up along the airport road covering Harvey Norman and even a bible quote at the moment. Im sure it wouldnt cost much to advertise Ryanair and Aer Lingus routes instead.

The articles lately of them basically pleaing for airlines to use it is also frustrating and laziness on there part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cork is generally very good, but up until recent, a lot of their advertising boards for Ryanair were for routes that don't exist anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

How? Don't mention the departure paths because they were identified in 2018, it's all available online to view

There's actually probably not 🤣🤣🤣 time and time again politicians, planners and other civil servants have proved they are absolutely unemployable in the private sector

Post edited by Bussywussy on

Well, if there's anyone from the DOT reading this thread, I'm sure they'll be gutted not to have the endorsement of [checks notes] Bussywussy.

I think most people would like to see Shannon and Cork airports expand with new routes and would be in favour of making them more attractive and easier to access.

However, they are not the answer to the passenger cap at Dublin, and to put it simply, you can’t artificially and forcefully move demand to the other side of the country, away from the capital city. That is the Shannon stop over metaphor posters are referring to. It hasn’t worked before and it won’t work now.

By all means improve the airports, cater for the true growing demand in each airport, but at the end of the day it’s up to the airlines where the base their aircraft and they have repeatedly said Shannon and Cork aren’t the answer to the cap in Dublin.

If Shannon wants to grow as a Ryanair base, it needs to be able to make flights at awkward times work, Ryanair aren’t going to leave a plane idle in Shannon on a Friday evening just because they could fill it on the Friday morning run going to Faro. They’ll move it somewhere else that can fill the plane morning, noon and night, in February or August.

Ya it's not just me 🖕🏻 they probably are reading it as they do nothing else, or is Friday a day they take an unlimited sickie or "work" from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

First published in 2015 actually… so an extra 3 years for them to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Any evidence to support that or are you just taking a free swipe at people and organisations that you likely know nothing about?

I know 2 people working in department that take the absolute piss, that's all I need 🤣🤣

Even better ha. You'd think the locals would be more concerned about the huge amount of fly tipping in the St Margaret's area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement