Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Good for you?

You know people aren't plugging in at 2am right? The car/charger app will charge at a set time, people plug in when they get home as normal.

It takes maybe 60 seconds to download the HDF file from ESB, upload to EnergyPal website and select a 2 month date window. All this poster needs to do is note the 2-4am usage compared to previous use. EnergyPal website will tell them which plan is cheaper. People without EVs are doing the same homework to figure out the best rates. I spend more time shopping around for car insurance each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You're making a mountain out of a molehill tbh. I'm working this evening I'll be home around 1am I'll plug the car in, the timer is set to come on at 2am and turn off at 5, I do the same tomorrow night and that's the car sorted for the week, the two charges combined cost less than 2 euro, your hard earned 70 euro gives me 35 weeks of driving. Even if you don't have an EV just upload your file to energypal and see who he recommends the money may as well be in your pocket, it'll go towards diesel 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thread is called "Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners" - feel free to go trolling elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Welcome to the EV forum.

E125 vs E25 for the same distance? No thank you, we'll stick to our "plug in on the way up to bed and forget about it" model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

It’s not as black and white as an 25 Eur electric bill v my 125 Eur diesel bill – there is no finance on my car for instance.

Most folk with newer electric cars has some sort of finance on them (pcp / bank or credit union loans) which has interest charged and then of course there is depreciation each year on these new appliances which are also so generic looking as the next one.

So you lost the cost to run argument so do the next Irish thing, bring out the old begrudgery stance... Btw my PCP deal is interest free and I have the money to pay off the final payment in 2026.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Closer to €0 in my case since the car is mostly powered off solar

Don't worry about the finance, it's been paid off and while the depreciation isn't much fun, I've no plans to sell the car so I don't really care 😉

I agree about the generic comment, cars look all the same now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

You're up against it in this thread lad, but I admire your determination.

Can anyone help me out here with a Zappi question? In order to test the 2am to 6am scenario above I set the Zappi on scheduled Boost to start at 2am and run for 4 hours as in pic below.

I had charging mode set to Stop as I figured setting it to Fast would just start charging straight away. Car did not charge overnight (new Model 3). Changed Charging Mode to Fast this morning while messing around with settings which is the short burst at 09:30 before I knocked it off again.

Up until now I had been plugging in at 11pm and charging on Fast for ~ 8 hours overnight. If it's on "Stop" will it not charge during "Scheduled"? What am I missing?

I confirmed on the Zappi screen itself that the scheduled times were the same as had been set in the app.

I know I can set a charging schedule from the car but I would prefer to utilise a function on the "Smart Charger" that cost a good bit more than a dumb one.

• Advertisement

OK, after a little digging it seems like ECO+ is the way to go. Bit ambiguous infowise from MyEnergi.

https://support.myenergi.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360020720298-What-are-the-zappi-charging-modes

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Does anyone know if the hours of the Smart EV plans change the same as the Day/Night plans do with winter and summer time?

Thanks

C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Smart plans do not change time.

DN it's 12-9 in summer 11-8 in winter

Smart plans change with the clock

So it's always 2-6 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Liam2021

Does anyone know if the Smart day/night tines change during winter?

I believe they do. Ours was installed in April so can’t say for sure.

Just in case anyone has the same issue, tested this last night and worked as expected.

Eco+ mode with the Boost Schedule is what you want. MyEnergi guide a bit ambiguous downright misleading with their video on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Really you just want Fast mode, nothing will charge outside of your schedule.

Why don't you use timer in the car? Should be easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I have a smart meter but apparently can only sign up to a dn plan unless I contact esb to update their systems. Am I better off staying as a dn for now? I've only been comparing smart plans up till now.

Huh? I don't want to charge outside of my schedule.

If I ever need to do that I can just plug in and one or 2 presses on the Zappi to get to Fast Mode.

Now that I've figured it out, it's straightforward.

No, I didn't say you want to charge outside of your schedule. If the charger has a schedule set or the car has a schedule set, the car will not charge, the mode does not control that.

Eco and eco + or only relevant when solar is part of the equation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Sorry but this is incorrect, if you want the Zappi to control the schedule it has to be in Eco+ mode.

Ok. I should have said that if the car controls the schedule the mode on the Zappi, even if it's fast, won't allow it to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Not made with hands

Would you not charge it at night and get the FIT off the solar during the day?

• Advertisement

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

I'm on the Flogas BWG rate so the difference between night rate and FIT is only around 6c/kWh

I generally charge at night but sometimes on a very sunny day I'll plug the car in and let it charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

What's the current consensus on the option of sticking with regular day/night plans or moving to the smart equivalent if you have a RM108 meter?

Contract with energia is just up now and I spoke with them today. They won't give the 37% discount that's on offer to new customers but will give a 30% discount if I move to the day/night smart plan. That gives (incl vat):

Day: 27.50 / Night: 13:20 / Standing charge: 377.06 (I think)

That's quite good but I'm not sure if it's time to go to a smart plan yet. Tempted to initiate a switch to Electric Ireland who announced a price cut and also confirmed they'll be absorbing the increasing network charges. Perhaps the Energia retention team will then offer the new customer discount.

Seems to be the way to go alright (leave or attempt to leave) we might start calling energia hotel California ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

Looking to change myself

Driving Tesla Model Y

currently having a charger installed but i don't have a smart meter , and no notification if i am ever gonna get one

so what's the best Electric plan based on non-smart meter users ?

currently with Electric Ireland and paying €0.33 per KW and €230 per year standing charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

If you are electricity only i think the best non smart rate is SSE Fixed at 23.533 cent per kw. Much cheaper than your current rate

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Best value is by switching to a non smart day/night meter, covered here many times already. (Assuming that you would want to charge your car at night)

i mean it would cost me €14 to completely charge up the 60kwh tesla compared to €60 to get 380km in my old Tuscon so that in itself is a big saving over the same distance just under €2500 a year saving compared to petrol i was using

is it a big job / expense to get a day night meter in ?

All depends on which provider you're with, some will request one for you no bother at all, others make a big deal out of it, BG are terrible. Take into account the higher standing charges associated with the D/N plans and try to work out what percentage the car uses to see if you'll save money on the overall bill. If you've never had a meter change before it won't cost you anything.

prob just stick with what i have and go with airtricity 23 cents a kw all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

If you actually switch, the retention team will be on to you sharpish with a 38% (it's gone up from 37%) offer. This happens if:

1) you actually make a switch to an alternative supplier;

2) your contact information is up to date and you've set things to allow them to contact you by phone;

3) you are not a dual-fuel customer.

If you are a dual-fuel customer with them, you will have to switch the gas away from them before they'll offer you the 38% discount on electricity.

At 38%, current rates are 25.89 day/12.41 night, including VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Redlim

Excellent, thanks for that. I'm electricity only so I'll give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭joe1303l

10minutes and should be free. You should be able to get a night rate at less than half the rates mentioned. You won’t be long saving the additional standing charge fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Question on switching folks, current contract ends October 16th when can I initiate a switch without incurring switching fees?

The 17th it's the only way to guarantee you won't be punished.

• Advertisement

I signed up for the flogas deal from a few pages back 2 days ago. It's slightly cheaper than this but the standing charge is around 60 more. Think that and the closing bill would mean staying with energia with a 38% discount would be better as they will back date it the few days that I was out of contract. Will give them a ring cause I don't know if i ticked anything that would allow them to ring me.

edit: Also flogas is fixed so with prices trending downwards of late that could be a benefit of staying with energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Flogas is not a 1 year contract - only runs until May 2025 I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The €337 standing charge on that Energia plan doesn't save me much compared to my current dual fuel €270, 32.55/15.61c plan. I have solar, so far this year I have used approx 2,500kWh and exported 3,000kWh which should cover most of our bill. I had a lot of trouble joining Energia two years ago, I'm not sure if it's worth leaving then coming back with a retention discount. I'm surprised rates haven't come down that much.

Might stick with them and hope they drop rates again like they did back in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What’s the best plan for an EV at the moment guys ? I’m out of contract the end of the month and I’m getting a smart meter installed on Tuesday

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Turns out all those data centers sucking up electricity to make disinformation are driving the prices up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi There, reading thru the thread , but not sure which provider to go with

I am just out of contract with SSE , dual fuel bundle

Elec :

I have 14 solar panels , Solis inverter 5kwh battery and export quite a lot to the grid , so a decent rate to sell back to the grid is important

58 KWH Ionic 5, dont do high milage but would like to avail of a low EV overnight rate , would prefer a longish window to charge overnight , min of 3 hours , as my wall charger is old and slow at 3.3 kwh (might eventually change the wall charger) On average I top up by 25 kwh a week

Have a smart meter live in Dublin

Have a time programmable DW and WM, would prefer not to time these to run overnight, and am in the habit of getting them to run , when solar output is high , ie after 11am

I am hoping to charge Solis battery at an EV rate , 6 to 8 cent per unit and export to the grid at 20 something, how will this work, if I am charging my car battery at the same time

I currently charge my car during the day , when we have sunny weather , but i reckon charge overnight a cheap rate is more cost effective

Car is rarely used during the week, so happy to leave it plugged into charge

I use Gas to heat hot water , as I see the cost to do this as cheap . Do not have an Eddi

Could someone point me in the right direction, please

for

Elec

and

Gas

Thank You

Energia have now offered the the 38% discount with a lower standing charge than flowgas so I'm staying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

We're not dual fuel but some points will still apply. So here goes..

We are high users at approx 14000kwh per year. At current D/N rates when our current offer ends this will be costing approx €2.5k to €2.7k per year.

There are a couple of plans we're looking at.

Energia - 4 hour "EV" window 2am to 6am. 7.54 cents. 33 cents rate for rest of the day. FIT is 24 cents.

At the current FIT rates it makes more sense to charge car, battery and use all appliances between 2 to 6 @ 7.54 cents and export solar as much as possible @ 24cents. We run all appliances during night rate at the moment anyway so moving them to that time window is straightforward.

Our setup will have a 10kwh battery which will charge between 2 and 6 and it will power the house the for the rest of the day. Looking at historical usage that should cover about 95% of our day usage.

Pinergy have a cheaper EV charging window between 2 and 6 but it's a 2 year contract and is a level pay plan. Your first few bills will be high but would probably work out a bit cheaper in the end.

Rambling a bit but that's the plan. Between feed in tariff and load shifting we'd hope to save between 1500 and 1800 annually.

Unless I've got all my sums wrong 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks what is the name of the plans you mentioned above please

• Advertisement

Won't you need to request a meter change to avail of the EV plans you mentioned? I don't think the smart D/N meter can do those plans.

Advertisement