Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's already double the price of a digital PS5 at launch without adding anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Damn that is very disappointing. It’s a pass for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

This is hilarious in a sad way, Sony know it will sell so can set a ridiculous price and lots of people will justify it, its like Apple removing basic ports on their phones and telling everyone why its better and they should pay more for the privilege.

Throw on a dash of AI buzzwords like every business is doing nowadays its no difference to the old talk of the cloud and what the cloud can do and the best we have seen of that so far is how good flight simulator looks.

All the astro good will shot to **** in a single presentation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great to see this - no interest in these particular games, but adding offline modes to heavily online games means games will still be playable beyond their server switch off date. Fair play to Ubisoft (not a sentence I regularly type) for supporting this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In fairness, image reconstruction is an actual legitimate use of Machine Learning (I refuse to call it AI).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah image reconstruction is a great, legitimately useful feature, and has been a game-changer on PC. It’s a welcome move that Cerny and co are developing their own solution, as AMD’s has not been up to scratch on consoles so far. It’s simply frustrating that it’s locked behind this overpriced hardware for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Apart from the obvious power it's adding a 2TB SSD which is a significant upgrade over the original 825GB.

A 1TB SSD upgrade for ps5 typically costs between €100 and €150 alone and it was dearer the first few years.

IMO Sony could have sold this for €699 at a profit or €799 with the disc drive included. But they decided to make it less attractive to scalpers. I reckon it'll sell at this price until at least the GTA VI launch and then they might cut a hundred.

Here's the thing with the pro if you mainly play on playstation and trade in your consoles.

You'll get about 350-400 by selling the current ps5 so this upgrade costs 400. The ps5 pro like the ps4 pro will likely retain it's value remarkably well. Let's say the PS6 launches for 800, you'll likely sell this pro for over 500 so it will cost you less then 300 to upgrade.

To me it's a no brainer. I'd rather it "cost" me this to constantly have the best hardware. And don't forget people like me sold the ps4 pro for over 300 so the original ps5 only cost 200 day 1 anyway.

I've watched most of that and will finish it off today. I find them active quite childish. I can guarantee you their tone would be different if Sony invited themselves instead of CNET to try out this thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I bought a 2TB external drive for about 50 quid in a sale… does me perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No… HDD but it works perfect for any extra saves I need. I keep the PS5 games on the internal and PS4/below on the external.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Eh, I don't think they would, to be honest. All of the things that they're complaining about are stuff that they've been complaining about for years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah the impression I got from the DF video was their frustration at Sony not doing a good enough job showing the improvements over a standard PS5 (and not going into more detail about the new "pisser" tech for example) and also at CNET for uploading a 1080p 30fps video.

Yeah I for one would echo the annoyance of hand-picked outlets being given the opportunity of getting exclusive footage of anticipated tech and then delivering the footage in a format that is functionally useless in communicating the benefits of said tech. Such a waste for everyone - including Sony themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've it worked out. Sell my Series X to my nephew for €350. He's had it the last 6 months so time to buy it. I'll still have Gamepass pc should I ever want to fork out €800 on a decent GPU.

BuY PS5 Pro for €800, plus €100 for the drive. Won't need the stand as I'm a kidless adult.

Sell my PS5 to CEX for €300. Total cost of upgrading to the Pro with a disc drive: €250. Not bad. And I won't miss the SX.

FYI, the iPhone 16 was just announced. Base model is $1599.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS5 pro stuff really highlights just why Nintendo are so far ahead. They're really the only console manufacturer not only with a library that appeals to a wide audience but also with skus that are more affordable to people so again helps with that wide network audience. Imagine if the PS5 slim was a more affordable price like previous slims.

I don't know where you pulled that iPhone price from as the Max starts at $1200, significantly less than what you state the base model is.

I still wouldn't touch the iPhone anyway, the only product that Apple make that is worth the money is the base iPad.

Yeah, you can buy 4 Switch Lites for pretty much the same price as a PS5 Pro and a disc drive.

No doubt Nintendo have played the Switch smart (albeit with a premium model of their own), but to be fair Microsoft came right out of the gate with a way more affordable next-gen SKU - correctly anticipating that hardware prices weren't going to fall enough for big price cuts or revisions to the Series X. It hasn't moved the needle for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's almost impressive how quickly Sony can still manage to wipe out 10+ years of goodwill with one announcement. More worryingly is how a lot of people are immediately likening this to the launch of the PS3, whose stink took an absolute age for Sony to overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The iPhone isn't $1599, it's $799. There's no need to make things up just to justify your purchase. If you want to buy the Pro just buy it, nobody really cares.

There was an arrogance to Sony back then that I'm not getting from them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

I was thinking about doing something similar as I have a Series X gathering dust, but really 2 current gen consoles + €250 for one current gen console seems insane to me.

Reckon the series X will go towards the Switch 2 next year instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Agreed.

I think with the PS3 they announced it with a whopper price and expected people to go along with it as some sort of easy sell.

With the PS5 Pro, I got the impression that they know, somewhat similar to the Dualsense Edge (albeit at a much different price point), that the PS5 Pro will be a relatively niche product that will only penetrate a small % of their user base, and they're ok with that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I have to admit, I'm struggling to see much (or even any) arrogance in this. I found it much more galling when they wouldn't support older controllers, even though you could use them for the cloud streaming option.

This is just launching a more premium version of an expensive consumer electronic device. The PS5 isn't going away, you're not being forced into buying this, it's just a high end version for those that want it.

Yeah as ridiculous as I think the price is, ultimately this was always going to be a niche product even with a cheaper (though still premium) price tag. It was always going to be expensive… just it’s more expensive than almost everyone expected. I don’t think it moves the current gen needle any meaningful way, whether it sells fine or poorly. Maybe a PR hit - never a great look when most of the internet is laughing at you - but certainly recoverable.

There’s a fair argument that the whole concept of a premium console is a bit misguided when the costs are this high relative to the benefits. I haven’t seen anything that remotely justifies an upgrade IMO. But it’s also not pretending to be anything more than a premium alternative. If Sony come out in three, four years and announce an 800 euro price tag for a digital only base model PS6, however… Now that’d be more akin to the halcyon days of Sony arrogance.

They didn't tell people to get a second job of they can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Another thing that just occurred to me is that there's no easy upgrade path anymore. I had both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and was able to trade in my base console to GameStop and just pay the difference - they had pretty generous deals at the time too.

Really don't like grubbing about in Cex and Adverts/Done Deal is a minefield of nonsense.

• Advertisement

Man, it's almost like they are setting themselves up for a new PS3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I think the PS5 pro price hike has got to do with the fact Xbox aren't trying to compete anymore, So Sony can do what they want. Competition makes companies have the best offers and best quality to beat the other.

I also think the pro is only aimed at people that already have a base PS5, and are willing to trade it in to reduce the price, although the only option in Ireland is Cex which are low-balling c u next Tuesdays. Private market isn't much better as everyone will have their console up for sale so people will have a large selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

Unless the PS5 Pro is a complete failure or MS has a rival console launching in the €600 range, I would expect the minimum price the PS6 will be launched at to be €800 now.

Can’t see the Pros price going down that much over the next couple of years and certainly can’t seem them pricing their new console more cheaply than that.

Wonder if their going the Apple route and having a new release every few years with the latest and greatest being considered their Pro offering - the console landscape has changed in that there’s less and less reasons to jump to a newer gen. The PS4 still has a huge install base and is still being supported with new games, that’ll probably be the same with the PS5 years into the PS6 lifetime.

So instead of going for a big bang approach and trying to get everyone to adopt the latest asap, they’re probably changing to have a fancy model for those who can afford it while having a more traditionally priced version supported that will play most(or all) of the games the newest plays.

I do think that approach sort of makes sense, but I do think it would give MS an enormous opportunity for market share with a more traditionally priced top tier offering. Although knowing them, they’d just take it to mean that they should start charging €800 for their console too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the thing about the price, in addition to Sony knowing it's a niche market who'll upgrade compared to the levels of sales they already have with the PS5, is that the consoles have generally been sold at a loss for ages. So chances are Sony know it's only for those who really want that additional graphical boost that most people don't really care about, but they're not going to sell the Pro at a loss since it is that bit more of a premium product. It likely also means the PS6 will be more expensive at launch than the last few gens have been, but also may not be as high as the PS5 Pro (because they'll be trying to get that market saturation back, especially if Xbox are saying they're not doing a mid-gen refresh and instead going earlier with their next gen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It does sound like psvr2 will get a boost from the pro hardware, and there is a version of the upscaling coming later on for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

Really weird to see this framed as a Sony exec even though he hasn't worked at Sony for two decades and he was at Codemasters for quite a few years more recently.

The quote is not as bad as it sounds in context either, though it's badly worded. He was basically trying to say there is still an optimistic future for the industry, there will still be demand for the skills of developers, if you have been laid off recently don't feel that you are forced to change career path as there will be more opportunities, maybe consider doing something short term like uber driving as you will find another games industry role before long.

Uber driving is a pretty bad example to use but I hate these sensationalist headlines that take things out of context and make a statement sound like something completely different to the original intent.

• Advertisement

Alright, I googled and ran with the first number I saw, my bad. Maybe it was the most expensive model I saw, maybe it was reddit speculation, i cant remember. It wasn't, and isn't, my intent to make up anything.

But I'm not trying to justify the Pro, I am getting it. That was always a given. My point was people will buy what they personally see value in. Most on here think the Pro is too much, but it still costs less than a lot of other tech people will buy. I'll get more value out of the Pro than I will out of my pc or whatever the next flagship phone I'll buy will be. O

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭MikeRyan87

I expected about 800e for the Pro with disc drive so the fact it's going to be around 920e total isn't too shocking to me especially with them increasing PS5 price in Japan and upping Dual Sense cost as well recently.

I have no interest in it currently.

Have played all the touted games that I want to that are getting improvements and won't go back for 4K60 modes.

The time when I rethink getting one would be when GTA6, Ghost Of Tsushima 2, TLoU P3 and Bloodborne Remake are shown to run way better on Pro but at that stage I'll probably just hold out for PS6.

I don't think I'll bother with the Pro. Not at launch anyway. I usually try for one big purchase for myself every so often and I've my eye on a new coffee machine. I don't need the extra storage of the Pro (have 2tb already added to my PS5), won't notice the graphics and just can't see a reason to.

I know I'll probably change my mind closer the time as I've eyes bigger than my stomach, but for now anyway I can't even convince myself why I should get it.

Though maybe I will after a few coffees…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

Switch 2 will be my next big gaming purchase I flirted with the psvr2 but there is no real reason to pick it up yet

Yes, Switch 2 is almost certainly my next purchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Same here. Really looking forward to a switch 2. My only hope is that there's an OLED version available at launch.

As someone who owns a PSVR2, I think I can safely there's never going to be a real reason to pick it up…..

MS hoping to hide shite news in the wake of the PS5 Pro price.

Jesus... that's 2,500 jobs from MS this year. F*cking horrendous.

"No top execs leaving"

Once again, most of the people overseeing all these massive job losses continue on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People aren't made redundant, the jobs are.

In the case of c-suite positions most of those jobs can't be made redundant as the job is still going to need to be filled in most cases legally so, exception being massive structural change or closing a subsidiary but then those at the top of the top are still exempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The entire staff of Annapurna Interactive, the video-game publishing division of Megan Ellison's Annapurna studio, resigned this month following a dispute with its owner, according to people familiar with the situation.

Annapurna Interactive President Nathan Gary and his team had been negotiating with Ellison, the daughter of billionaire Larry Ellison, to spin off the video-game division as an independent entity, said the people, who spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to share the information with the press. When Ellison pulled out of the negotiations, Gary and other executives resigned and were followed by around two dozen other staffers.

A spokesperson for Annapurna confirmed that it had explored a spinoff and said the parties failed to reach an agreement, which led to the resignations.

"Our top priority is continuing to support our developer and publishing partners during this transition," Ellison said in a statement to Bloomberg News. "We're committed to not only our existing slate of games but also expanding our presence in the interactive space as we continue to look for opportunities to take a more integrated approach to linear and interactive storytelling across film and TV, gaming, and theater."

The exodus has led to chaos as game developers partnered with Annapurna try to figure out what this means for their upcoming projects. As a publisher, Annapurna is responsible not only for funding the games but for handling services such as quality-assurance, adapting the products for local markets and marketing. Over the past few days, game makers working with Annapurna have scrambled to find new points of contact and figure out whether the company will continue to honor its agreements.

The spokesperson said that all existing games and projects will remain under Annapurna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What the ****!!

Extraordinary news, but really feel for the dev teams currently making games under the Annapurna banner. That’s a big, big challenge to deal with. Though obviously solidarity with the team who’ve decided to go their own way too.

Annapurna has had an outsized impact in ‘independent’ gaming so that is pretty major news.

And so it begins. PS5 Disc Trays are going out of stock everywhere with suspected scalpers involved...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Happy with my PS5 disk slim. Got rid of my original PS5, was too noisy and too big. But mostly too noisy. Have a ton of PS4/PS5 games to play at 60 FPS. From a technical point of view, FPS, and relative quiet ( not at good as XBox series ), trumps ray tracing and resolution easily. Sony killed MS, but then dropped a console that does not seem to add anything extra. The killer app for PS5 pro is GTA6 of course, but when will that actually arrive ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement