Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I don't want a trump win,, just can't believe people are following trump at this stage,if they are they ain't going to accept a losing result so it will escalate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's usual to start a sentence with a capital letter. So, therefore it's "Need…"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

You'd need to define a civil war. What's the line between that and civil unrest? Civil unrest has already happened in the states with riots at certain BLM protests and MAGA supporters breaking into the US Capitol.

Although civil war has no set-in-stone definition, I think it's reasonable to say it would involve an established state fighting against an insurgent polity where each has some kind of regular fighting force and civil services and so on. If we take that definition, I don't think it'll happen.

Heightened civil unrest? Certainly possible, but why should anyone be cowed by a crowd of frizzy bearded manosphere adherents with too many guns and not enough hugs as children? Fk them if they can't handle the outcome of a free and fair election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

After Jan 6th, they all just shrank away and actually did nothing. If Trump loses expect much the same. In reality a significant portion of elected GOP are just waiting for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I suppose the question is exactly how much organising all these wannabe militia groups have been doing in what will have been four years since Jan 6 come next Jan. I can't think that the full picture on this will be freely available since such groups will be trying to conceal their efforts to become bigger and more powerful, and the FBI aren't going to be publicising their own efforts to counteract that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would expect them to know fairly much all the militia encampments - and will not be held back like Trump attempted to do last time. Expect a serious stomping as soon as any hint of trouble kicks off. Whether it escalated is doubtful, as you really need to be fairly desperate to get sucked into a civil war. Militias are the same band of thugs trying to start something in Ireland - a bit pathetic really when push comes to shove.

The great boogaloo is going to be a damp squib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is exactly what I think will happen if he loses. They will distance themselves and some will try and take his place. The GOP of old are long gone now, it's been taken over by loons.

I also fear, that Jan 6th was pretty much a dress rehearsal for a much larger level of disturbance, he is already planting the seeds as we speak.

5 point lead for Harris in latest Ipsos/Reuters poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

already getting that vibe with his latest nonsense post debate and some of his allies: Sen. Mullin on TV today refusing to say he’d certify the election etc.

I think if the polls start to bump Harris more post debate he’s going to become more unhinged and just go full stollen election TM tactics ahead of the vote and rile people up for breakouts at voting locations, start the chaos even earlier than last time, not even trying to pretend like he has a shot at that point just going for broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"Vote, don't vote, stay at home, do something useful with your day. We all know the systems rigged. The elite have already decided I've lost. I'll still keep fighting. Donate to xxxx"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Well I'm no fan of Kamala as you know and I'm going to be a centrist in all this but I do think the maga croud should be divided into sexes and the men used as fuel and the women sterilised…because I'm a centrist 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

That poll ain't worth a ****. "The polling does not indicate how Harris or Trump would perform in the electoral college, which is the deciding factor for who wins the presidency"

That above is from the ipsos site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whilst undoubtedly things will get very ugly in this election, when Trump sees himself losing in the polls, he'll get very unhinged and lash out in all directions. Overheal, you're quite right, this will happen prior to the election. You'll also have small electoral areas that will have officials who will refuse to certify their local area (because of doubts)?? This will mean the State won't be able to certify. There will be a lot of law and courts between now and next January. At least they have already mobilised security to protect the Jan 6th ratification process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This could be a gamechanger, there is nothing people like more than paying less tax.

Former President Donald Trump said Thursday he intends to remove federal taxes from overtime pay, marking his latest proposal this presidential campaign to significantly alter federal tax policy.

• Advertisement

Veteran election stategist/analysis James Carville said the other week of Harris, in order to win she would need to be leading Trump nationally by 3 points.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/james-carville-warns-democrats-kamala-harris-has-to-win-by-three-points-to-beat-trump/

She now leads him 5.

But sure, 'aint worth a **** TM.' It's just a poll in the 93rd percentile of all polls ranked by 538 (it's 19th).

Pfft, yeah. Like his "healthcare plan", he might have some very vague "concepts" in around 9 years time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Isn't he promosing to eliminate taxes altogether with his definitely genius not at all insane tariff policy?

Anyway it's not a gamechanger because obviously anyone with an iota of sense can see its incredibly stupid.

looks like he’s doing what he always accuses democrats of doing: attempting to buy votes. Says a lot he only pulled this out of his butt after losing so decisively at the debate. If this were part of a sound, viable tax strategy it would have been in his platform this whole time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saying and doing…again, I’ll ask you, name a Trump policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I think Harris winning these polls are really going to help her in an existential way.

People don't like voting for a loser. Makes them feel bad. The more people see other people seeing Harris as a winner and that there's a widening chance Trump might lose this thing, it might be enough to switch their vote if they were unsure a black woman could actually win.

Might not be worth much, but in a close race like this, if it turns a couple of thousand people…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Maga now claiming Kamala was given the questions beforehand because she did so well.

But I thought she lost the debate?

Very confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not one person on here going to try and defend the fact that he's a racist?

No?

We past that point?

Good.

About f**king time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

It isn't a crooked episode of The Chase. Do they not think that maybe, shock horror, Harris' team actually did some preparation about how to answer the totally unexpected curveball questions about topics like immigration, Israel/Gaza, inflation/the economy, Ukraine, abortion/Roe v Wade, Guns, Taxes...etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I thought the word alien would mean he's more xenophobic than racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

You overestimate the intelligence (or underestimate the stupidity) of the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Harris prepared, trump didn’t.

I believe they pulled the same stunt with Biden in 2020.

They are also claiming she had an earpiece in her earrings.

Not just a racist, an actual rapist himself.

Trump: Foreign men raping american women = Awful

Trump: American men raping American women = What even is rape anyway?? Oh and, Gislaine Maxwell, great woman, one of the greatest. Had such a difficult time....

• Advertisement

Trump just prepared the wrong answers, instead of Immigration policy, he studied up on crowd sizes, instead of reproductive rights, he watched CSI Special Infanticide Unit, instead of learning about respecting the election results, he watched 'golden balls'

Alien is the word racists use now because they're not allowed to use the N word (or other specific racist slurs)

If Trump does actually get Prison time for his hush money case, and he loses the election - there is a very real possibility he will have fled the country before any inauguration. This would leave his MAGA militias out on a limb.

Americas loss will be Russia's gain no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

I fully expect what little prep Donnie did was only a couple of rehersals with Laura Loomer, in which they didn't call him out on areas of improvement, likely lauded him as an excellent debater (despite whatever trainwreck the rehersal was) and then sent him on his way. (Possibly praying that Harris would somehow screw up)

Donnie is not talented enough to rehearse something properly, and apparently when he was doing The Apprentice he couldn't even deliver what little lines he was expected to without someone prompting him. He cannot rehearse, and he certainly can't handle someone who can actually debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

I was thinking about this earlier today. Would Donnie run and claim asylum?

Would he pull a Julian Assage and try to hold up at a friendly embassy for…years? I guess that one has the advantage of being in the same continent as his MAGA cult. However I doubt Donnie has the patience to wait around in a place like that.

In this situation my gut feeling has him running to Russia or maybe even North Korea (not kidding) and setting up a "Government in Exile" where he sends decrees back to his MAGA faithful while somehow funding himself with the various grifts he'll keep going.

I expect he might pull this if it's certain that he'll be jailed and/or Trump Org is gutted by New York state to settle his tax debt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I wonder will we see a shift in the Media and their habit of "sane-washing" the nonsense that Trump spouts.

Like last week when he went off on a frankly bizarre incoherent ramble when asked how he would reduce Child-care costs, most of the media attempted to "explain" what he said by saying things like "Trump suggests that Tariff money will help reduce childcare costs , but he wasn't very clear".

Will the fact that he went on the debate stage and talked about people eating puppies , Transgender Prison aliens and Democrats murdering newborns , mean they now finally stop trying to twist what he says to make it sound vaguely normal?

Will they now just say "Trump said a stupid thing that no one understood" ??

We can but hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If he loses, he will delay the cases for years in the courts, right up to his packed Supreme Court which will in all likelihood set some dangerously stupid precedents in law.

What ever is left he will plea deal the life out of. He can't go to federal prison in practical terms. Unless they build one especially for him.

The stain of Trump even if he loses could take decades to scrub clean.

If he wins, well he is telling us what he is going to do. God knows the ramifications of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s a good point - some parts of the media are complicit in this Right/Left battle-

As I said above though, I’ve come to the realisation that this isn’t about two personalities -Trump and Harris- if it were, any sane person would be voting Harris.

It appears to be a battle of conservatism vs liberalism ; about fear of change vs adapting to todays fragile world and planet; about updating their values vs maintaining a way of life long past in other modern democracies.

Harris and Trump are merely the personifications of those two different worlds. As Trump said long ago, something like I could shoot someone tomorrow and still be president- he wasn’t wrong. We laughed but it’s only now that it’s dawning on me - that really is America right now.

Let’s hope every single able bodied Democrat exercises their right to vote -but even then who knows what the outcome will be.

The hush money case cannot reasonably be switched to federal court so there is no pathway to the supreme court. It has to be resolved in the state system. This is why he has been so desperate to have it moved to the Federal court - even though the case has already been tried and decided.

In the hush money case it's all hail-mary scrambling but he will be sentenced in Nov.

Come Nov I fully expect him to be taken from the doc to a holding cell whilst they decide where he can go - if he is still in the country.

• Advertisement

As I understand it, sentencing has been delayed in part to allow for a Supreme Court Judgement.

A Supreme Court packed with absolute Ghouls.

There will in be another appeal on whatever that decision is, although the grounds of the appeal are frivolous at best. But you never know over there. He is aiming to get it thrown or at least a retrial.

As for him being jailed for the Hush money case, although not completely impossible, it's doubtful.

We can be hopeful though. 😀

I think he'll be given a custodial sentence. I think the judge is going to be very blunt in his summation that had he behaved like a normal, rational human being who respects the judicial process he would have only received a fine. Because of his behaviour and the disrespect shown to (this) court, he has no choice but to give him a 2 month custodial sentence, which will be served at a military base somewhere as would befit a former commander in chief.

No the delay is to avoid the appearance of election interference. The same judge will make the decision about immunity. It cannot get to the supreme court unless there is a gross miscarriage of justice - and it has to go through all the new York circuit courts before that could even be a possibility.

It will get sentenced in November, and I think the sentence will be at least a year in jail. There is no such thing as bail for a convicted felon so he will be taken to a holding cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why would Russia take him in? He has served his purpose and would no longer be any use to them.

Not only would he not have access to state secrets if he lost, if he won he is not going to get international intelligence, I don't see any other countries, including NATO members, giving him access to anything useful, they know he is not safe. He probably would, without trying, effectively remove The US from NATO.

I doubt it.

Trump manages to get away with the most outlandish of nonsense time and time again and has done for years now. Despite being known as an habitual liar and an actual convicted fraudster.

It's an astonishing place American politics finds itself in.

It's akin to the troublemaker in class being able to continually be disruptive because, well, he's known as the troublemaker. But if someone who's usually quiet steps out of line they're sent up to the principal's office.

Trump should be constantly fact checked on his bollocks talk because, well, most of what he says is bollocks talk and shouldn't be allowed to pollute impressionable minds. Of course, some of those "minds" are going to polluted by the choice of the owner anyway.

However it was, genuinely, a fine thing to see him get doorstepped in the debate when he blubbered out his bollocks talk about foreigners eating pets. That kind of thing should be par for the course when he comes out with his gibberish.

Russia looks after their own.

They will have other people in the Senate and the House looking at how they treat Trump. If they cut him loose and leave him out to hang, they MiGhT just walk away.

• Advertisement

There is also going to be a mini trial before the election on the federal insurrection charges. New evidence will be set out and the full details of the case will be outlined before election day. Just to remind everyone what happened and who was responsible.

This is a direct consequence of the supreme court immunity ruling.

I think this is a fair assessment - it has little to do with Trumps himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t think he’ll ever see inside of a real prison cell no matter what happens.

The Supreme Court ruling won't make him immune from the hush money case because he wasn't President when he committed parts of those crimes.

Their argument is that evidence used in the trial was from the time he was President and therefore should not be allowed.

Whilst the path to the Supreme Court is extremely long and not definite, he is very much using the Supreme Court in this case, right now.

I'd say there is a more of a chance of a retrial then there is a years incarceration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement