Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EIRCOM Rising prices after contract signed

• 12-09-2024 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Not sure if this is a rip-off issues, but only area in consumer I could post

My friend purchased a 24 month contract from EIR from a door-to-door representative early this year

The deal was 50 EUR for Standard TV package, and internet package , 10 EUR for a second TV box for another room , and 10 EUR for a Mobile Phone package

In total, the package was 70 EUR for 24 months

After four months , all items increased by 5 EUR, price increased to 85 EUR

Three months later, another 5 EUR increase on each item , so price went up to 100 EUR

When my friend enquired why the price increase, he was told it was inflation

When he stated he wanted to end package , as it became too expensive, he was told he would have to pay a penalty fee commensurate to the contract time left

I have checked for similar, and have found VIRGIN in Britain have raised prices this year, using inflation as an excuse to people currently under contract

GOOGLE USWITCH

Virgin Media price increase 2024 — what can customers do?​

Would appreciate opinions and thoughts on how to take this forward

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Gooser14

What does his contract T&C's state re price increases & cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭celt2005

The contract is three pages, and has nothing to state they can increase prices after initial signup, and cancellation is standard , pay if you want to break it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

When did he enter the contract and when did the price go up.?

Has he checked the contract to ensure the discount dates are for the duration of the contract

The contract was entered January this year, first increase was May , and second was August . It was,nt a discount rate, the contract was 70 EUR locked in for 24 months

And have you contacted Eir to find out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Don't all these contracts go up every April? My vodafone does it's in the T&Cs. I'll post this link but I could be off the mark.

https://www.eir.ie/annual-price-increase/

He contacted them, was told inflation ….. I will ring them with him to get more information and ask for a paper copy of contract to show where this is permissible

Thank you for the link, I will check it out

He signed a 24 month contract, and assumed the 70 EUR was locked in for the duration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Eir and other telecoms have included a CPI+ price increase in their contracts for a few years now though usually its just an annual increase so it's worth checking if 1) the contract included this clause and 2) if there was an initial 6 month promotional discount applied to the contract that expired hence the second increase.

As **** as Eir are I doubt their paperwork doesn't allow for the increases, however I doubt this was properly explained to your friend.

They have it in their terms and conditions that they increase it every April irrespective of the price you signed up for.

• Advertisement

Thanks, The increase is 7.6% , I have just seen this morning. I will have to recheck the April increase, and was the contract an initial 6 month starting price of 70 EUR, then increased after that period

https://www.eir.ie/annual-price-increase/

The annual CPI rate published in January 2024 was 4.6%. Therefore, the price increase will be no greater than 7.6% of the standard monthly price of your eir services, excluding any discounts. 

Thank you for your response Smee,

I think you are correct on this, it makes sense that the initial increase was inflation / CPI in April ( Three months after ) and the second increase was an increase from initial " signing on " offer

I will get back when I have spoken to EIR to explain fully the increases

I've never seen eir offer a lower price for the first few months and then up it , unlike other providers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Never buy on the door and never take a contract where you are locked in but they aren't 24 months at x price and if they change the price you are out of contract and free to go. I pushed VM for a reduction and they said 9 months with 12 month contract. I canceled they call me back with 12 months at 30 euro for 250M (the package we were on) they've since move us onto 500M with no change in price or contract.

I'd say your friend should say they will respect the original contract or Eir can release them from the contract and they'll look for better value else where. For 250 they can get a dish and antenna then never have to pay for TV again. Then a cheap internet package.

Advertisement