Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That new evidence in the Insurrection case could be the "October Surprise" we've all been waiting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

You would have to get a new York circuit court to order a retrial - which I don't see happening.

The main point here is that there is no reason not to take him from the doc to a holding cell - only the judge could order that and I do not see any reason why he would be inclined to do that given Trumps beligerance to the trial process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You would have to get a new York circuit court to order a retrial - which I don't see happening.

Depends on what grounds, if portions of the evidence presented to the Jury should never have been the conviction could be rendered unsafe and vacated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I don't think that's right: the ancestors of today's Afro-Americans have been in the US for many generations more than most caucasian Americans' have. Aliens refers to immigrants. Mexicans for instance.

I'm not even sure it's meant as a slur, or at any rate, not any more than the other words such as immigrants or foreign would be.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

Can't go to Russia. The few golf courses they have are shitte.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They still mean "Not White" when they say it.

All those undocumented Irish people living in the US are "illegal aliens" too , but they aren't getting accused of eating pets nor are they claiming that Ireland (or any European country) is "emptying their prisons to send to America" and so on.

It's Racism.. simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't really care what happens to Trump, all I passionately want is Harris, in the WH. Those who are riding on Trumps coat tails are far more dangerous than Trump. He is their, useful idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Much speculation here about DJT running to Russia or wherever. What if he runs off to his property in Doonbeg, taking advantage of our well-known welcome to asylum seekers.🤑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Oh I'm not saying it's not racist - it obviously is. But it's (some) people in Europe who always assume that black people in America are recent immigrants and their first/second generation descendants, in the way that most black people in Europe are. Trump was referring to Haitians and other south and central Americans, not to Americans of colour. (He has other terms of insults for American blacks.)

It's just amusing how people so often project their own world view onto the USA, and fundamentally misunderstand the American context. It's the whites who are most often the recent immigrants there.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

He's not going to run , if only because he has a permanent Secret Service detail who aren't going to allow him to go on the lam. They don't work for him anymore - They work for the DOJ and if they report "Trump is heading for the Airport" they'll be told to not let him leave.

Silly speculation anyway , he won't leave.

If Trump loses in November , his sentencing hearing on the 26th will become this cycles "January 6th".

He'll call for his base to come to NY to support him and they'll be outside in numbers.

If/When he gets a custodial sentence , they will kick off.

I fully expect the NY authorities to be "loaded for Bear" as they say on the day , but it will still get very ugly.

• Advertisement

If Trump loses the election, he is basically a busted flush. He will blend into obscurity and plea bargain his way out of prison. He will no longer be a useful idiot. The opposite, it will be conclusive proof he is just a liability.

Who knows, President Harris may even pardon him. 😀

I think given the sentencing of the Jan 6th simpletons another attempted mass coup is unlikely.

Getting way ahead of ourselves though, this election is very much still a coin toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Harris on Day 1, Increases the SCOTUS to be a 13 person panel, fills it with decent, honourable judges to nullify Trump's ridiculous appointments and immediately ends all of Trump's legal efforts to subvert democracy in the single most consequential economic and military power in the western world.

This would require that Harris secures the POTUS and both congress and Senate elections with enough votes to pass through the reforms she absolutely needs to do to prevent Trump from stealing the election through Scotus like he's clearly planning to do.

then as a pure fantasy that would never actually happen…

I hope that Biden goes to Trump's banks on Jan 5th 2025, orders them to empty all of his bank accounts, deposits everything into a suitable charity like the ACLU or the National Immigration Law Centre.

Then claims that it was a presidential act so he's immune from prosecution, drops the mic and leaves Trump penniless and writhing in the consequences of his own actions.

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That bit with the pet chow in Springfield showed how fundamentally unserious he is about this: even the guy running for dogcatcher in buttfcuk, Idaho, would know if you're going to throw in an incendiary but highly dubious anecdote like that you have to have a better citation than "I saw it on the telly!"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"That's called a 'Gap in the market', Nimrod. But I wouldn't expect any non geniuses else to see that, because I am the greatest businessman in the world".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I've saved the link to this post so I can read it in 2 months time when none of it happens.

13th November? That won't be Harris' first day…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why would you think that? Trump is in complete and total control of the GOP. He will decide what he is going to do. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply repeats the last 4 years. Complains bitterly about the 2024 election being robbed. This will be done after months of wrangling over even getting the election certified.

Then straight into campaign mode and a call that he cannot be incarcerated etc due to being the No1 GOP nominee for POTUS.

All of the points you make were true in 2020, moreso after Jan 6th, and the GOP have shown themselves to be completely unable to move past Trump. Yet another loss won't change that.

I think it was Ian O Doherty on the Pat Kenny show the other day who said that Trump is obsessed with watching replays of his attempted assassination. True or no, the incident majorly rattled him and has in no small part helped ruin any focus he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Of course you know there are 2 Hopes of that happening Bob Hope and no hope.

Harris would not try to increase the Supreme Court. All atempts to do this have been met with a crap storm.

Biden too much mature to denegrate presidential office like that

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm losing track of the different threads but recently it was asked where Trump praised white supremacists. Here's another example…

The above twitter thread is based on this page…

Interesting excerpt…

“All of the people there, you’re amazing patriots,” Trump said in the video. “Have a great time at Bedminster.”

As part of his criminal case over Jan. 6, federal prosecutors described the rioter, Timothy Hale-Cusanelli, as a “white supremacist and Nazi sympathizer,” who told his coworkers at a naval weapons station that “Hitler should have finished the job” and “babies born with any deformities or disabilities should be shot in the forehead.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I see in the MAGA corners of Twitter, people are posting AI generated images of Musk and Taylor Swift having a baby together. And these are the clowns who don't like being called weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Sorry Donald- it’s not the immigrants eating cats- it’s your own fellow country women doing it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13844919/bodycam-eating-cat-Ohio-trup-pets.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

did you read the post? If you did you’d know that wouldn’t be some gotcha moment…

One reason, is that the judge, being a human with human hubris and frailties, might be cowed by the 'gravity' of potentially disrupting an imminent election. And the likelihood that their action could foment civil unrest up to and including riots around the country, and could also put their own selves, and potentially their family at risk given that they would become immediate targets for some of the craziest and most conspiracy driven gun toting nutcases in the U.S (and it's a very high bar to break into the elites of that group)

• Advertisement

If Harris wins, Trump is officially a serial loser.

Republican Politicians will hitch their wagon to Satans horse if it meant political or personal gain for them.

But no politician will be backing a serial loser if the consequences for them is negative.

Trump is also 78 years of age, he will be 82 before the serious campaigning for the next POTUS comes around.

IF he loses and incites another violent coup or riot he has zero potential protections this time.

In the next few years he will be fighting multiple criminal cases and any new ones that may arise.

If the polls widen especially in the key states you will see the rats abandon him.

They have spent all week on the networks hilariously explaining his car crash debate performance, if you are explaining you are losing.

He didn't have any focus before that though. The focus was supposed to come after that, it lasted 4 minutes.

To be fair to him, which he doesn't deserve.

It is remarkable given he was very close to being murdered that he continues at all, especially the same as before.

He is probably too stupid or his ego won't let him develop PTSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What probably rattles him more is that no one gave a sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re the way the poll results are running, can some-one refresh my memory on the name of the pro-GOP expert who said two days ago that Trump was losing in the polling race against Harris and probably has lost the election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I understand where you are coming from, but for me, I don't see it.

Comparing and contrasting how he was in 2015, compared to how he is now, he is visibly slower, more incoherent, more prone to mispronouncing words, even falling asleep at his trial.

He is under a tremendous amount of pressure, in terms of running for presidency, batting off his legal woes, Melania seems to have lost all pretence of being with him, even after he was shot at.

He proxies are becoming more and more vocally unhinged, as had he, his crowds are dwindling.

If he loses again in November, the power he brings, as a possible future POTUS, is gone. He will be a two time loser, approaching 80, and the cases will begin to strike home. We have already seen some of his chosen nominees being rejected at the ballot box.

I can imagine old school Republicans starting to gather after November, saying the american people have rejected MAGA twice and it's time to re-organise in order to take on Harris et al.

I can see his invites to tv shows, to rallies becoming less and less frequent.

• Advertisement

Well, 2 months from now is still November and Harris isn't gonna be the actual president until next Jan..

Biden won't get any SCOTUS nominee through now, he's firmly into lame duck territory, but Harris will have a fresh mandate and hopefully both houses of government.

(I don't think any of it will happen either. I think the first part absolutely should happen. There is no good reason to continue to allow the SCOTUS to be hijacked by trump's appointees for any second longer than it needs to be)

I mean, yeah, although what's to stop every incoming president from now on adding more and more justices in order to rebalance the court until you have to get a legal opinion from dozens of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's not how Constitutional government works.

Can Michael D. Higgins or Simon Harris order AIB and BOI to empty your bank accounts and deposit the money into someone else's account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Joe to rub it in by signing an executive order to the effect that 75 would be the upper age a person could start a run for the presidency from, as an official presidential act of course, which the younger generations of voters would approve of.

Well no.

But then the Irish Supreme court hasn't said that the President/Taoiseach have absolute immunity from Prosecution for "official acts" either.

The (tongue in cheek) point being made is that given the utterly nonsensical ruling by SCOTUS , Biden could in fact seize all of Trumps assets and/or have him arrested under terror legislation by calling him a "threat to National security" and there's not a thing that could be done about it.

It won't happen because Biden isn't a Dictator , but SCOTUS have made it such that a Dictator could do all those things , which is why Trump not winning this election is so vitally important.

The judges family has already been intimidated by right win loons, and that is why he left the gag order in place with regard that all court staff and their families.

There are SCOTUS reforms that the POTUS can implement with the help of Congress

They can impose age limits, they can impose term limits and they can increase the panel of judges.

All of these could be done to redress some of the long term consequences of the court packing that Trump has done in his 4 year term that are having real and drastic consequences on American democracy

The argument that 'but then the next president will just increase the panel again" while technically true, doesn't mean that Trump or Trump version 2.0 wouldn't do that anyway, precedent or no precedent.

Trump and the GOP already broke precedent when they blocked Obama's court appointments in the final year of his term, and then pushed through 3 appointments of his own, including in his last year in office.

The GOP made the SCOTUS nakedly political. if the DNC wants to redress this, they need to reform it, and this requires expanding the panel at least temporarily

I presume if you have immunity you can do what you want.

Not in Ireland, but POTUS in the US has sweeping powers in an emergency to do things by executive order.
    Biden could declare an emergency, or implement an executive order to seize all of Trumps assets the same way he could of any enemy of the state. Let the courts worry about how legal it is afterwards, Biden would be immune as judged by Trump's SCOTUS decision.

Harris then, would need to use a reformed SCOTUS to overturn that ridiculous decision and stop the POTUS from being above the law. In order to get that decision before the SCOTUS, a there would need to be a challenge, so Biden doing something against Trump would provide the precedent Harris would need to have the ruling overturned.

Perfect Symmetry in my fantasy island parallel universe where there actually was justice in this world.

Yep that's about it. This will come back to bite the GOP.

Just shows what allowing low grade judges onto the supreme court results in.

No politician should have any impact on who gets selected to the supreme court - it's a receipt for absolute dysfunction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Frank Luntz?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4875745-frank-luntz-donald-trump-kamala-harris-debate/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So the fallout from the debate continues.

Far from Trump, who had experience on his side, coming out on top, he was soundly beaten and now is showing just what a coward he is by confirming that he no longer wants any future debates despite previously stating that he wanted, nay the country needed, at least 3 debates.

His cowardly running away is probably as damaging as the car crash debate performance.

Trump had all the advantages coming into the debate. Harris was seen as robotic, couldn't talk off script, had no policies, had been soundly beaten in 2020 debates, and was a last-minute candidate change. Trump had done 7 of these previously and had been part of the agreement of the rules in setting them up. Trump also has craziness built into his value so people are judging him at a much lower level than they were going to judge Harris. Any major slip by Harris and it was game over.

Despite all of that Trump visibly crumbled on that stage. He didn't want to shake her hand and never looked over at her. He was completely intimidated and outmatched by a far better opponent. He looked old, angry and with his lines about Dawgs and rallies, sounded like an old man out of ideas.

It as said previously, but the decision to agree to the June debate will go down as one of the worst decisions in political history. His glee at the car crash performance by Biden only exacerbated his stepping out of the race and now Trump is facing an opponent clearly too good for him.

Whether all that results in him losing, well I wouldn't bet on that. US politics is so far beyond crazy that it is impossible to say

Trump is going to force a Government shut-down.

He really doesn't understand how Government works , nor does he care about anything other than himself.

He knows that the Democrats will never allow the nonsense that is the "SAVE" act to go through , but he needs to have it floating out there so he can blame "the illegal immigrant voters" for his election loss.

He doesn't care that a shut down will cost the GOP multiple House and Senate races.

On another note - There should be a "Godwins 3rd law" that says that "any legislation that has a tortured silly name so they can spell out a word is going to be stupid and probably racist"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Trump campaign did not know about the extent of Biden's decline. There is no way in hell that they would have agreed to that debate had they known this. I presume their strategy was that the June debate was far out enough that it could be forgotten about if it went badly for Trump, keeping the option of a September debate, if necessary.

You are probably right.

Trump has now had two catastrophic Debates this cycle albeit for very different reasons.

The Biden debate was ultimately a disaster for Trump as it facilitated the replacement of Biden with Harris , which simply would not have happened otherwise.

With Harris now in situ , he struggled badly to find a new rhythm having thought that he was coasting to victory so he started flailing about looking for something that might stick and began listening to utter lunatics like Laura Loomer leading him to last Tuesday night where his campaign was badly holed below the water line by friendly fire.

Once again , Trumps ego , hubris and basic stupidity are likely to lose him an Election that he probably should have won handily (which in itself is a shocking indictment of American society).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Does anyone know where Trump got his dog/cat fake news??

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement