Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline: "I'm down in the hood, I'm on tik-tok" sez Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I wonder did kiids in other countries regularly get the **** kicked out. of them by "adult teachers" (what other kind is there?) back in the day or was it a phenomenon peculiar to this part of the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,973 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

We know it's getting harder and harder, Joe.

TMI.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

<off>

//////////////////

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,322 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

THey celebrate that kinda stuff today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

this is becoming tedious at this stage, the same stuff every day .

Fcuck off - this is ludicrous. This guy (no, not Joe) is an absolute spoofer

The femle teacher heated her ring on a radiator in order to burn your wrist by applying it?

She did in her hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭Tow

We exported many priests and nuns into teaching roles around the world.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this is woeful radio. 2 weeks of shite. layers upon layers of shite

Where did they get this alleged girls smock (two of them, apparently) from - in a boy's school?

people are just ringing in making up stuff as they are going along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ireland was such a sick society

No I meant your bog standard (not imported) teacher in the UK , for instance, back in the day - would they be regularly doling out the slaps without fear of accountability?

now being compared to the concentration camps. christ

I's a "misery off" at this stage. Each caller trying to outdo the last with their tales of abuse and battery. It's like the Monty Python "4 yorkshireman sketch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

School was all about random violence from the teachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭Tow

Did Billy Bunter not get six on the best?

I say it was the same. The place King Charles was sent to in Scotland was supposed to be bad.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

what’s the ultimate aim here - a huge compensation scheme for everyone who attended school 1940-1980??

It's purely for the host's amusement/gratification. If anyone is upset - there's links to helplines on the RTE web page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I remember going to the shop in the school 1 day and asking for a bounty bar. But they had none and I had to make do with a twirly wirly

• Advertisement

I think it's letting people get it somewhat out of their system and acknowledge it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Kevin Penknife

He perforated his particulars with mathematical instrument

You can't be bringing a pen-knife to school, caller - and Joe with his "of course" as if it was the most natural thing in the world to bring a weapon to school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

on the twitter you’d regularly see teachers in America getting the bejaysus beating out of them. Or shot. Have to find a middle ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,631 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd have doubts if even a missile strike on London by Vlad would change this topic.

• Advertisement

Well yest morn on RTÉ the Taoiseach said some nonsense about “we are going through the harrowing of a national trauma” or some such phrase, and praised liveline.

National compensation scheme, worse story gets more money???

M

An orphan, wohoo, not heard one of those getting the sheite beaten out of them yet 🤔

M

There's no way these Hollywood movie script type actor portrayals ever came in to the show worded anywhere near how they are being read out.

"Hi Joe. I'm only 47 and I also suffered from corporal punishment"

M

The shows budget must not have extended to adding sound effects, that's all they are missing from those readings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭mountain

Duffy is a f ucking creep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Kalimah

This is horrendous. I count myself lucky not to have experienced any of this. Why oh why did none of the kids tell their parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

I am 60 Joe and no one ever hit, slapped or humiliated me. Will I get a few bob for my lack of suffering, I wonder. I was deprived?

M

Did Joe declare whether he was ever at the hand of a beating during his schooling?

This guy, I 100% believe. The trauma is completely real. He should not be detailng this on the radio for entertainment purposes while talking to an unqualified buffoon.

Some of the other callers today I would be much more skeptical about.

Joe doesn't distinguish between them, however. He doesn't give a rat's ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Actually I'm nearly 62, and my siblings are a similar age and none of us were ever abused in school. I don't know if it was just the school we were in, or just our parents would have come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who touched us.

I can quite understand how so many of my generation and older have so little confidence, and can't challenge "authority".

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Denny61

This is what makes good radio. ..Real issues .and human issues..good job rte...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭mountain

we all know that school Ireland in the 50/60/70s was at times violent, abusive,

Duffy is just picking at the scabs of people’s memories,

It’s low rent radio, and serves no purpose other than inflating the hosts ego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I definitely think Joe has a book in mind. I haven't been listening to this for the past few days, I've enough enough of this 80110X and this topic.

I heard Joe say "we" the survivors, so he considers himself a victim, though he did say he never endured anything like any of the callers went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Joe's well able to dish it out from his position of apunity on air, that's a fact.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I did see other's being slapped. In one memorable case, a brother in 3rd year bet the living daylights out of a lad in the corner of the classroom. The brother was soon after diagnosed with a brain tumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭squonk

I like this sctor lady’s voice. She can beat me on a daily basis if she wants!

M

My school tales would be of teachers who got abused by pupils, lots of cases of it I can remember from secondary school.

It was more formalised in the UK system. Slaps, kicks and punches, and assaults with a variety of weapons, while not unknown, weren't common in most schools.

I've no doubt that prior to my time there, the above may have been more the norm, though.

The weapon of first resort in most Scottish schools was the leather belt, and in English schools, the cane.

I suspect the almost universal introduction of such appliances of corporal punishment was to regulate things a bit more steadily, and avoid teachers actually killing pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Denny61

Joe is very respectful here . Letting the victims read out all their horrendous stories ..lifeline really showing why its top of the ratings and a good presenter

She forced you to eat an orange? I can see why Joe called you back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Its own swap of horror, WTF!!

M

An arms decommissioning process of the toyme so to speak. 😁

• Advertisement

Swear to god, time is going backwards listening to this stuff!

Advertisement