Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

The initial polls post debate have Harris leading at between 3 and 5%. If she can maintain at least something in that range that will be enough for her to win by a big enough margin to make the anti democratic electoral college irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭hometruths

I'm fascinated why so many are so reluctant to believe this is now Harris' to lose.

She has overturned Biden's deficit in the polls, is now opening up her own lead, she's breaking fundraising records left right and centre, won the debate handily, has just been endorsed by probably the most influential person in America, is not a convicted felon, rapist or election denier, nor is her mental acuity in question.

Meanwhile Trump is falling apart at the seams.

Where is the doubt coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Actually there are at least 5 candidates

Jill Stein, Chase Oliver and Cornell West are also on the ballot and haven't dropped out

I guess that means there's only a 40% that either Harris or Trump will be elected

Maybe because the US is not a true democracy. At least that is where the doubt is for me. I have no doubt that Harris will win the election. But it is still close in terms of can she win by enough to make the anti democratic electoral college irrelevant. Any Harris win from a tiny margin to about 2.5% is probably not enough. She needs IMHO to win by 3% at least to be sure of being president of the US. Currently her margin in the polls is a lead of between 3 and 5% so right now she is doing enough to win. But she is still dangerously close to a margin of victory which could be overturned by the anti democratic electoral college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Has anyone ever heard Trump tell a joke?

I can't find a single example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

lot of talk on the right side that DJT may-stress may-be convinced to step down and let Ivana run.

DJT is ranting but still he may tally it all up and hand it to Ivana head to head with another female.

I think she'll do better than Biden did in terms of electoral college number.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was discussed in a previous thread - he has been "funny" (in his own way!) but it generally involves him publicly making someone else feel bad about themselves...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

First off - Ivana is dead and he buried her in an unmarked grave on one of his Golf courses.

Secondly , I assume you mean Ivanka but even if he wanted to , he couldn't do that.

Now that the conventions are over , barring death both sides are stuck with their choices.

Ballots have already been posted so even if Trump goes off in a huff (he won't) he's still on the ballot.

If Trump loses , he goes to jail it's as simple as that and he knows it.

He is in this until the bitter and bloody end - Perhaps even more so than in 2020 he will do literally ANYTHING to try to get the win.

And if he can't get the win , he will rile up his knuckle-dragging "base" and threaten to unleash them in the US with the promise that he'll get them to go home only if he gets immunity from prosecution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Can he get his name off the ballot? And can any other name be put on?

Look at the trouble RFK had to get off the ballot. No, DJ Trump is the GOP candidate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

"Knock Knock"

"Who's there"

"Mexicans"

"Mexicans who"

"Rapists, drug dealers, insane asylum Mexicans, that's who"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Biden 2022 long range attacks with us pilots or operators would lead to ww3

2024 Biden wearing trump hat neocons planning long range attacks into deep Russia

Putin five minutes ago if this happens we are now in direct war with EU USA

Nice knowing ye lads can ms beasty unlock me now please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's the electoral system. A dem candidate could be 5% ahead in every national poll and still lose. The battleground states are key and multiple are far too close to call. This precise thing happened in 2016.

Trump is not a "normal" politician, he could say/do pretty much anything and wouldn't take much of a hit. Harris on the other hand is much more vulnerable in that regard. Also she's taking a dent due to being a woman.

Still far too close to call.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think someone spilled coffee on ChatGPT again…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Only got around to watching the debate today, pretty much what you'd expect. Trump typical nonsense ramblings and Harris not answering questions, you know things are crazy when cnn are criticising Harris and ABC for being biased. Fact checking Trump is fine but they should have done the same to Harris and pushed her for answers. "they are killing the dawgs" will definitely make it onto a t-shirt and to be fair "I'm taking now, sound familiar" was funny. We learned feck all from it really, I think this will be pretty close the whole way but I do think Trump will win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah Trump was a weird one when it comes to funny, he clearly had some funny moments mainly online " I LOVE HISPANICS"" etc. Shane Gills has a great segment on this in one of his stand ups which is worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-s7eG2ckN4

He's quite dull now though, oafish and not even amusing ironically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think they are both bad choices for a president compared to Biden,Obama etc. Trump is entertainment because he's a complete loose cannon. Nobody knows what nonsense he will out with but sometimes he's funny. I don't think men will vote for Harris and Americans that are struggling financially will vote for him because they were better when he was president, they don't care what he's like as a person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Well that's the last debate then

That begs the question. Will the VP debate still happen? Surely the Trump Campaign won't want to end the debates with JD Vance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ppp are quoting some 19th century candidate who proposed someone else to run in his place - apparently Jared and Ivanka are “ready to run” once DJT hands over the baton - not sure how the finance works? Maybe with his blessing it goes to them.

Well no. He's the nominee. That's it.

If he dies, it's Vance.

Why is Biden a better choice?

Or is this another one of these "acts" where a posters history is littered with nothing but criticism of Biden..

100% the VP debate happens, Vance has asked for a second debate a few times on CNN but don't think Waltz has much interest in that unfortunately.

It's like the early Russia thread all over again, where all the Putin fans went to extreme lengths and mental gymnastics to pretend they don't support him drenching everything in "both sides" and "they are just as bad as each other" scripts.

Looks they were watching Alex Jones as he was ranting about Biden launching missiles into deep Russia, world war 3 and some shite

He just had the look and feel of a president. Even when he spoke it felt presidential until you could see him really struggling mentally which was kind of hard to watch. Pity we didn't get Trump vs Biden in 2016

Trump being able to say or do anything only holds true regarding his base, which is admittedly astonishingly large.

It means he has a very high floor which is almost unshakeable, but his ceiling is much lower now than it was in 2016, because the crazy **** does have an effect on the fence sitters. And he's gotten progressively worse with more baggage - felony convictions, election denials etc

If the USA preferred Biden over the 2020 version of Trump, I find it impossible to believe they will prefer the 2024 version of Trump over Harris.

Didn't his son die just before? That's why Joe didn't run? I agree it was a pity. I imagine it's a strong regret of Bidens. There's no way Trump would have been president, and MAGA wouldn't be around anymore.

• Advertisement

No doubt his son's death played a part in his thinking, but I remember a lot of chat about party leadership encouraging him not to run in order to give Clinton a clear path.

Maybe if his son hadn't died he might have pressed his case a bit stronger. I'd also agree it's a pity, as I think 2016 Biden would have beaten Trump fairly comfortably.

In 2015 of cancer in the brain I think. I don't know if you could handle dealing with your son dying and running a presidential campaign. Biden would have hammered Trump I believe, Trump doesn't know when to quit which is obvious so he probably would have came back 2020

Yeah Obama supposedly told him he would not beat Clinton and to step aside. It was a monumental error to say the least. Clinton was a wretched candidate, but only lost by 100 000 voters , so yeah basically anyone bar somewhat likable would have won.

I have not seen anything that suggest there is an issue with the VP debate. So I think that will go ahead early next month as scheduled.

No question Clinton was a disastrous candidate. But to be fair she actually won the election by roughly 2%. She was not elected president because the anti democratic electoral college overturned the result. Not trying to be picky. I think its an important point to acknowledge.

If you're being picky, she didn't win the election, Trump did. She won the popular vote, but that's not how the US chooses their president, they choose it though the archaic EC system.

So are we supposed to be angry that the citizens of California and New York don't get to sway the result for the rest of the country?

And closer to home how angry are we about the fact the party who got the largest share of vote in the 2020 is not one of the three parties in government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no comparison between getting an outright majority but losing on a baffling 18th century calculation system; and not getting within an asses roar of a majority and being unable to convince anyone else to support you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The system of voting here is PR-STV which is not related to the much quoted figure of first preference votes achieved.

If a candidate gets elected on the first or ninth count they are just as qualified to be a TD. Who got the bragging rights by getting a higher first preference vote is irrelevant. For example, being transfer toxic might get a high first preference vote but no seats.

Well obviously if you're counting less than 50% of the vote as an outright majority, it is a lot easier to attain in the US election than the Irish.

In both SF's case and Clinton's case a better strategy based on the electoral system they were contesting would have affected the outcome in their favour.

SF underestimated their appeal where it mattered, Clinton overestimated hers.

No point crying about it after the event.

Who got the bragging rights by getting a higher first preference vote is irrelevant. 

Totally agree. And in the US who got the bragging rights by getting a higher share of the popular vote is irrelevant.

No, anger or other emotions thats your call, but if the US was a full democracy the person who gets the most votes would win the election not the person who got the second most votes. It is part of why the US is only a partial democracy.

As for the citizens of California and New York swaying the rest of the country well I assume you mention them because they generally mostly vote Democratic. However the other big population states of Florida and Texas mostly vote Republican and equally the votes of the people who live there largely don't count due to the anti democratic electoral college.

Well she actually did win the election because she got the most votes for president finishing roughly 2% ahead. I am well aware that the US uses the anti democratic electoral college to choose who becomes president because as we all know the electoral college overturned the democratic wishes of the majority of the voters. That is one of the big reasons as to why the US is at best only a partial democracy.

There's different forms of democracy. The EC form of America is just one of many. It's still democratic.

And she didn't win "the election" or she would have been president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Why not? It's certainly preferable to a situation where the citizens of Pennsylvania and Wisconsin get to sway the result for the rest of the country.

Governments are formed on which party OR PARTIES has the largest share of the electorate not on which single party has the most votes. That's the idea of coalitions. If one doesn't like that there's always 'First past the post' UK style. How does that work out?

Only five times in America's history has the loser won the popular vote. And never has any candidate with an outright majority in the popular vote lost an election. So whilst it may have flaws, like any electoral system, it doesn't seem fatally flawed.

I am no keener on the big cities in Florida and Texas deciding the election than I am on California deciding. No system is perfect by an advantage of the electoral college system is it forces candidates to try and attract support across the country.

Clinton lost the election because she did not appeal to the voters she needed to win the election. She lost voters Obama won comfortably.

You can either say that was Hillary's fault for running a poor campaign or Trump's success for being a more appealing candidate. Either way it doesn't really matter. By definition she was the poorer candidate. That is as undisputable as the fact Trump was the poorer candidate in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yes there are different levels and or types of democracy and the fact that the US uses an anti democratic system to choose their president is one of the reasons they are not considered a full democracy. But are rather a flawed democracy according to the Democracy Index.

We will just have to agree to disagree on what we call winning. Personally IMHO I consider a person who won with the voters by roughly 2% the winner when it comes to being a full democracy. But obviously the US is not a full democracy and so the voters wishes were overturned in that case by the anti democratic electoral college. But again clearly you see things differently and from my point to your point there is clearly no basis for consensus so we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

There is no question Clinton was a dreadful candidate. It was sheer hubris on the Democrats part that they thought they would win anyway because just look how bad the opponent was which seemed to be their mentality.

You are correct that the winner of the most votes has only failed to be elected 5 times. However that has happened now twice in modern times in 2000 and more recently in 2016 so the issue of the anti democratic nature of the electoral college has really had more focus on it given how in this current election the potential for this to happen is very real once again.

The electoral college does the very opposite of forcing candidates to try and get support all over the country. In this current election only 7 states out of 50 really matter and thus the voters of many states California and Texas among them are utterly irrelevant and paid very little attention. The only states and voters that are getting paid any real attention are those in just those 7 states out of 50.

• Advertisement
Advertisement