Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the story with people being unable to use basic words

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Best ones are the folks who still cannot grasp that ‘you’ can be singular and plural… and their variations include use, yous, youze, you’s and yiz…😖..

Have seen it written in work emails…

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Ideal birthday present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The people who are saying grammar doesn't matter, so long as it can be understood may be right, up to a point. But often the understanding depends on the reader and the writer being confident about what the other means when they use certain words. If there are too many errors readers might just skip your argument as being too much trouble to figure out.

Also, and more to the point, especially on social media, how you write is what people know about you. You may be a gorgeous hunk, but if you can't be bothered with how you write, that's all others know. If I see someone say 'been' when its obvious they mean 'being' I will understand, but I will also automatically find their opinion suspect. Not entirely reasonable, but that's how it is.

If I were to go onto the motors forum and write about a 'Feet' or a 'Susooky I would be mocked and ridiculed and no-one would have any respect for any opinions I might offer on the subject of cars. Is that any different to people using garbled grammar and spelling in an environment where they are trying to communicate?

The 'dyslexia' excuse is a cop-out a lot of the time, if someone has dyslexia they are going to confuse all sorts of words, not just been/being, there/their/they're and so on.

grammar-meaning might not matter when two lads are having a chat in the boozer, or on WhatsApp, but big time matters in the business and legal worlds, where a comma out of place can have ramifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Surely this is more of a trivial annoyance than a CA topic?

There are lots of words that sound the same but people don't realise that different spellings have different meanings, like complement and compliment, or principle and principal.

What bugs me the most though is when people pronounce this: * like it's a French cartoon character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

As Matt Carthy said "Eoin OBroin is the brainchild when it comes to housing, hey".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Perfect people need to realise they are sharing the Internet with people with a wide range of learning difficulties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

People who don't understand that "they're" is just a small abbreviation of "they are" and "their" is something belonging to them are thick. When I was going to school many years ago we had English grammar books and were taught properly. I wonder is there much emphasis on grammar in schools today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Having said that I met a Polish fellow recently with the thickest Tipp accent that at first I wasn't sure he wasn't Polish. I guess that's what two decades of hanging around the marts of Tipperary does to you.

Someone did a study on that recently in the UK. They wanted to find out why some Polish immigrants adopt the local accent very quickly, whereas others, with similar English language ability, continued speaking it in a Polish accent. The conclusion was it was down to the immigrants intent to settle in the UK permanently or not. The ones who intended to eventually return to Poland tended not to adopt the local accent. Whereas the ones intending to settle in the UK did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's interesting. I have noticed this phenomenon as well.

I had assumed that it was down to who they lived with. For example if they shared a house with Irish people then they'd learn English way faster and would pick up the lingo and accent from them. The opposite then would be someone who lived with Polish people and only consumed Polish media at home.

Aside: I know someone whose mother lived in London for 40 years having moved there from the middle east in the early '80s. She never learned to speak English after all that time. If she had dealings with the authorities or public services then she'd have to get her children to help her with the translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Do you have an issue with human beings acting like human beings? Everyone learns correct grammar in school but human beings make mistakes sometimes, decent human beings understands this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

I've always felt there is a grim sort of humour at play to use a relatively difficult word to spell like dyslexia as a name for the condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

you know what really aggrivases me? Them immigants.

They want all the benefits of living in Ireland, but they ain’t even bothered to learn themselves the language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

a really common one is "here here" . It really frustrates me. When it's written on social media I always reply "where, where?"

I am a really logical person and how on earth can "here here" mean an agreement, congratulation or applause? "Hear, hear" means a verbal form of applause… to me it's obvious, we hear something we like and we want to hear it again so we say "hear, hear" ! Whereas "here" is a place.

I was brought up with elocution lessons and an obsession with good spelling and grammar. So maybe I am the weird one, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

I think that comes from Holland and Belgium, they use it a lot. I've been in the company of an Indian girl for a few days, she lives in Ansterdam and is badly afflicted with it.

As she has an Irish boyfriend, she has the "me hat, me shoes" sorted. At last night's card game though, when she said "is it me turn", as a proud Dub I had to explain why only that one was wrong 😀.

'Here', 'there', and 'where' all have the 'here' pattern and all relate to place. The others, hear, their, were, do not relate to place. As pointed out, they're is just an abbreviation of 'they are'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

Might not be a basic word but it was pointed out to me years ago that “fulsome” means “insincere” instead of the more generally held interpretation of “comprehensive”.

So if someone is fulsome in their praise of something, they’re really being insincere.

I wish that hadn’t been pointed out to me as it now annoys me intensely every time I hear it misused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

In my childhood days, it would have been 'trun' not 'trune' which would be pronounced as 'troon'! The E at the end would be the problem. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

About two years ago we had a very long lecture during an in-service day from one of Ireland's leading experts in dyslexia. She was very condescending and strangely self-righteous, as if we (a room full of second level teachers) had been in the habit of beating students for poor spelling. I think she absolutely believed she was delivering brand new knowledge to a benighted west of Ireland school.

Anyway. She pronounced it 'dick-slexia.' All the way through, at least once in every sentence. She rattled on about "the dickslexic brain" and "students coping with dickslexia" and "adapting methodologies to suite dickslexic students."

This is her JOB! And she can't say the word properly!

That's like a paleontologist whose favourite dinosaur is a velocirafter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You are so right, it depnds on context. My paternal grammar died of a misspelled comma (sic).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

insure / ensure … seen some ‘very intelligent’ executives screw that one up.

But is fulsome not simply an over abundance of something, like praise? It might come across as insincere, but I don’t think it is defined as insincere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

Bad grammar doesn’t effect me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

It’s an abundance to the point where it becomes insincere (apparently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

"I'm just after being to the shops" is enough of a head scratcher for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Perfectly cromulent Hiberno-English. From the Irish "Bím ag déanamh". Standard English doesn't have the same nuance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A comma can be the difference between

helping your uncle, jack, off a horse

and

helping your uncle jack off a horse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Thought & taught seem to cause a lot of confusion for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I don't no what's going on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe when the Engllish language was invented they should have gone with, "I thinked" and "I teached" as past tenses 😂😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Some people have great difficulty with then and than - given the different pronunciation and the fact that they sound the way they look, that one is a little surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Thanks for informing me of the complexities surrounding this word.
    Here is a fascinating and detailed account from Merriam-Webster that explains how the meanings and usage of this word have evolved over time:

TL;DR
    It can have both positive and negative connotations so the context is key to making the intended meaning clear.

Fulsome is a troublesome word.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/fulsome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Confession, I always typed irregardless

• Advertisement

Most of the confusion is whether there is a th sound or not. You can see them as pairs - think and thought, teach and taught.

I had a friend who was an older, primary school teacher, a great stickler for grammar, and she had problems with those two. She always said 'I thought him' instead of 'I taught him', which I found very amusing. I didn't ever correct her though!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

i love Hiberno-English and dubspeak. Local dialects are important IMO.

A few phrases do grate but my favourite is getting or doing the messages. I had to explain that one to my English husband. 😃

And years ago casual language had no place in formal business writing but thankfully things have moved on and while grammar is still important and clarity is essential it is acceptable to include less formal language and some elements of dialect in emails.

(And it is also acceptable to start a sentence with and.)

The campaign for plain English have some excellent material on correct usage of language. It can be very useful for people struggling to move with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

50% of people on here call the Guards the " Gards".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

The inability of some to understand the difference between ‘advise’ and ‘advice’ is one that always annoys me.

Indeed…the 'u' is silent, (could also be english plural for 'garda')

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Marcos

One that gets me is women for woman e.g. She's a women that . . .

Also check out Malapropisms, there's a some on this thread.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Has anyone mentioned people using dribble instead of drivel yet?

It's quite popular in these parts. 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

My wife uses this terminology.

It drives me nuts!

WTF!

But it's a colloquialism, and part of how and where she grew up, so I accept it.

Flippin messages. We get messages on our phone these days. The most we may have to do is go out to the post box or the post office.

Why the feck does one have to go to Dunnes stores to get the feckin messages?? They don't even have postal services.

The mind boggles.

Perhaps she is an old-school super spy… I may have to put a tracker on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

”He does be at the football every Saturday” .

I was slagged unmercifully by an old girlfriend for saying this in reply to the question, “when do you be talking to so &so?”.
    It makes perfect sense to me, but she said that she (a culchie) had never heard anyone using “does be” and that it must be a “Dub” expression.

I still say it.

Advertisement