Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

I thought there was an objection in on the N2 ref bus stops going in on Nephin Rd , I still think it would be better via Old Cabra Road and Ratoath road , the 37 will continue to be along Blackhorse so I dont see what the problem is

that will leave a nasty patchwork of stops in the area of Carnlough Rd and Broombridge road in really twisty narrow housing estates, just to get to Broombridge station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Some random resident complained about it but clearly didn’t follow through on objecting to planning permission.

The N2 now provides a direct link to gates of the Phoenix Park by serving Blackhorse Avenue from the two rail lines and four core bus corridors - that’s an important connection which would be completely missed by the routing you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The N2 journey times seems a bit optimistic… an hour or so to get from Clontarf DART station along Griffith Avenue,, swing around Cabra and then finish at Hueston Station.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

When the N2 reverts to Infirmary road the gates of the park will still be served by the N2 at the NCR and Parkgate so a bit of a moot point surely. Ratoath Rd is not currently served by any route along that stretch and also my suggestion would offer single-stop interconnection to the 39a corridor , while leaving Phoenix park gates < 10 mins downhill walk along the quiet dunard road.

• Advertisement

I really think that a direct connection to the Park is far more important than a short 700m stretch of the Ratoath Road - we have to be realistic about traffic generators here.

We also don’t know if the original planned routing via Infirmary Road will be used in the future - this could be the new permanent routing. And even if it isn’t, it could be ages before any such change happens if at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm delighted to finally see this route launching soon, I think it will be a very popular route.

Only complaint is that I think the off peak and in particular the weekend frequencies are too low.

But it is a good start and if it is very popular, which I think it will be, perhaps they will boost the frequency in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

I was thinking the same. They must have timed this when the schools were off. The Griffith Avenue/Ballymun Road and Griffith Avenue/Swords Road junctions can be very slow, particular eastbound. It could take 10 minutes to get through each of those two junctions alone.

Unfortunately I can see this route being very unreliable with those timetables. I reckon they'll have to update them fairly soon after it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Great to see this launching. Interesting to see it mentioned in the brochure that it has interchange opportunities with 3 different Irish Rail Stations (each on a different line), both Luas lines and of course a multitude of radial bus routes.

It’s the same frequency as the S8 which seems to work.

For a brand new route it’s probably about right - it’ll be a case of see what happens.

Staffing could be a constraint if you went for higher frequencies.

• Advertisement

That has happened with every phase so far - running times were initially either too tight or far too generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think ratoath road should have a radial service from west finglas to the city centre via stoneybatter. The amount of apartment building is insane out that way, it's badly needed. The orbital should serve broombridge.

It will be interesting to see how well this route is used. I believe this is the first of the North/South orbitals to be a completely new route and not partially served by other routes before. The N8 will also be a completely new route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Daith

I get the Luas frequently at Broombridge in the morning and there are times when it's already standing room only. Be interesting to see if this route generates more Luas passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This is brilliant to see and I will definitely be a user of it in the future. It actually gives a nice alternative for lots of journeys.

One handy one will be hopping off a train in Heuston and on to a nice waiting N2 which will whisk you around to any of the Northside corridors and your bus out to the Northside, eg Swords Rd or Finglas Rd. Very handy.

Linking over to Phoenix Park and Heuston will be good too.

It will potentially be faster to hop off the Dart at Clontarf Rd coming from the Northside and onto the N2 to get to Heuston if times line up.

Bus priority will be badly needed on Griffith Ave. / Swords Rd. Buses will die there and make peak travel frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It's great to hear that the N2 is coming out on the 29th of September. I have some family members that live along the N2 around Cabra. It would be very handy to use this route to visit them after I get off the 4 at Heuston Station as an interim measure until the 4 is replaced by the B4 in later phases of BusConnects. If some of my relatives are going from Athlone to Dublin by train; they get the N2 bus at Heuston to get to their other relatives house in Cabra for family occasions in future. It will negate the need for them to get lifts because the N2 will leave them outside their house which would reduce the emissions on the environment.

Indeed, it's a great route, it makes trips from the northside to West Dublin so much more practical, until now it's been a case of go to ocs and get another bus there even though the start and end points are both significantly west of of ocs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

That N2 route map on the TFI site was a bit confusing, so does it go via Aughrim St. on the way to Heuston, and Prussia St. / NCR (Hanlon's Corner) on the way towards Clontarf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

It follows the 37 route , so outbound it goes left at Hanlons to North circular and right then to Blackhorse avenue and inbound from blackhorse avenue it goes straight via Aughrim street to Manor street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

RE the N2, I guess it goes over the humpback bridge at Broombridge?

• Advertisement

Yes it will be the first route over that bridge, always wondered why the 40e doesnt take it although its probably a school feeder for that bit of Ratoath road .

The proposed change to the 40e will mean it will go over the bridge but not now. And yes, during school times, it drops a lot of kids off at Cabra.

I can't wait until it uses the bridge and avoids Cabra. Even without the kids, it can be a chore to navigate that estate in Cabra

I honestly thought the bridge couldn't accommodate regular buses - a misconception based on the lack of services using that bridge, not on any structural analysis.

Anyway, that's great news.

I think the bridge was modified or changes made to it just for buses (and bikes). It's kinda annoying watching cars use it, sometimes preventing the 40e from entering or exiting Broombridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh I totally appreciate that and it certainly better then nothing.

I just hope they review it and consider it. Much like they did with the N4 going from 10 to 12 minutes, this could possibly be a rebalancing in the opposite direction.

I'm thinking of all the college students arriving into Heuston on a Sunday evening from around the country looking to head to DCU and the lots of student accommodation nearby. Every 30 minutes isn't so great then.

BTW There is another new N2 Bus stop under construction, this one on the corner of Griffith Avenue and Swords Road, east bound on the North East side of the junction.

While another brilliant stop, a bit disappointing to see the relatively massive area of new cycle lane they seem to be digging up to build it! Not really a criticism of the bus stop, more aimed at the lack of integrated development and the quality of this bike lane.

I wonder if there will be a stop between the new one near Tolka Rovers and the existing 13 stop at Lambay Road. It won't be that straightforward to switch to/from the N2 and the E spine/19 otherwise.

But its still going to go through the estates in cabra , faussagh and Broombridge road ?

Reference the point of the closeness to the Phoenix park, as the n2 revised route currently stands, thats true on the face of it . However stop 4458 - beside the military cemetery - which is the closest to a park gate, leaves you into the park at the worst possible place, with a 15 min walk down to the Zoo at best , and a much longer walk either up around Ratra to any real amenities. This is very local to me and you wouldnt really see anyone on the 37 using that for Park entry, the 46a would be the real load carrier in that regard as its straight into the People's park and the Zoo

• Advertisement

The N2 will have to be diverted to the new bridge for a few months, perhaps a year to allow for the demolition and reconstruction of broombridge as part of the DART+West scheme. If the JRs fail that can start in 2026

No, there'll be "new" 40E route that doesn't go through Cabra. Or at least that was the plan the last time I checked. It will go down the Ballyboggan road and over the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is that also part of the Luas extension? Or will it mean further work later for the Luas?

Further work later for luas but luas will have it's own parallel bridge deck so not necessarily that disruptive to the existing bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the 1st day of service for the N2 route on the 29th of September will be a big success for Dublin Bus & the NTA. However; the day after that will be a big test in how the new route will be able to withstand the pressure of carrying a huge amount of potential rail passengers to get on the route at Heuston Station, Broombridge & Clontarf Road Dart Station for the new working week which begins on the 30th of September onwards.

As the N2 has gone through it's online promotion on the TFI website earlier this week; the new route now has two weeks to generate a huge amount of demand from people wanting to use the new service from the end of the month onwards to get them out to their school or other workplace all around the Northside of the capital.

A similar or bigger amount of interest could eye up a huge amount of potential passengers in wanting to use the O route from Heuston Station when that route gets launched in the near future.

Although the O route will be covering all of the spines on the southside as well as the northside of the capital. It's going to be very interesting to see whether the N2 will be able to withstand that big test of carrying a huge amount of passengers in the interim period to be a good test bed for the O route to be rolled out in Dublin in the near future.

If the passenger numbers are going to be good for the N2. The numbers in using the O route could be even better if the N2 has a successful 1st week of service if it links up well with other transport services around the northside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

FYI the N2 will be operated by GoAhead

• Advertisement

Will the N2 be a double decker?

I'm sorry - here's another dumb question about the N2 and Broombridge: isn't the bridge one-way? Will the new service run both ways over the bridge? From a quick look at the route, I can see where the in/outbound routes diverge at, eg, NCR, but I didn't see any similar info at Broombridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The bridge itself is only one lane wide, but there is a traffic light system in place to allow for 2-way traffic over it.

I was wondering myself, so I took a stroll down to take a look. While not under construction yet, there are clear markings on the road for a new west bound stop in between.

I couldn’t find any indication of a new east bound stop in that area. Hopefully I just missed it or it hasn’t been marked out yet, it is definitely needed to connect to the E spines, the other stops are too far of a walk for good integration.

Ah total brain fart, I totally forgot the east bound it will have to go up and around the “triangle” and thus it can just stop at the 13 stop, so no need for a new stop in that direction and great interchange in that direction.

Though perhaps they should move or put the southbound 13/E stop closer to the junction.

• Advertisement

I thought the existing stop outside St Michael's House might be too close to allow enough space to get into the right turning lane. However I suppose it's not much different to the eastbound N6 stop by Santry Park.

I'm hoping with the N2 that it'll be able to align with the 40e somewhat. The 40e only runs every 30 mins, but it would be great people aren't waiting too long for a N2 so it could be a viable connection at Broombridge

Yes, SG class buses have been transferred from Dublin Bus to Go Ahead for the N2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

GAI won't know what hit them once they start dealing with the City 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They already do. Did you forget about their Kildare routes?

Sigh, out of curiosity I took a look at the BusConnects infrastructure plans for this area and while their is some positive, there is a lot of stupidity!

On the positive it will include a new south bound stop near the junction on the west side of the triangle. So the N2 could stop there either in addition to the St Michael’s house stop or instead of.

Now for the stupidity, the plans don’t show the new west bound bus stop I mentioned above and instead have a two way bike lane going through it!

They also seem to be planning to turn the southern end of the triangle from two lanes (two westbound), to four lanes (2 x westbound general traffic lanes, one westbound bus lane and one east bound general traffic lane)!

Would it not make more sense to have the east bound traffic lane as a bus lane for the N2 with a N2 bus stop on the southern arm of the triangle? Or leave it as a general traffic lane that the N2 can use too, but at least put an N2 bus top there?

It feels like they have completely forgotten about or ignored the N2 in making these plans!

Again it feels like another example of a lack of integrated planning.

As an aside if they are putting a two way cycle lane on this part of Griffith Avenue, can they do it for the rest of Griffith Avenue too, it would be so much better then the current mess of poor quality one way cycle lane it currently has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Honestly, that's something that's easily checked between the two routes.

In the above table, dark red waiting times are inserted if the shortest waiting time is under 6' to show what the previous/next departure allows for.

Mon-Fri isn't an issue because of N2's f-15, although the midday f-20 on N2 doesn't mesh too well with 40E's f-30. Weekends are a complete coin toss, as the N2 sports a rather uniform f-30 throughout the day, while the 40E can't settle between f-30 on Saturday mornings, f-40 midday and f-50 in the evenings. On Saturdays about every fourth N2 will leave you waiting for it beyond the next N2, on Sundays that happens with every third if not every second N2. The absolute worst part of this are Sunday mornings, where the earliest 40E arrivals mean sitting around for 50 to 65 minutes.

The main consistent thing across the entire week is that the last two N2s won't meet any 40Es, you need the third-last 23.00 ex Clontarf or 22.55 ex Heuston service to get to Tyrrelstown this way.

Thanks for that. I guess with the 40D and N4 too, there might be some other ways for people who might need that connection too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

Also when the B spine comes about you'll have the B3 connection at manor street/stoneybatter and further along the Navan Road at the Garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TonyK45

Yes some of the layovers at each end are extreme! L54 75mins allowed for a route that never takes longer than 40.

G-spine - sometimes nearly two hours allowed - at certain times of the day - now unless there is a major accident on the M50 - which brings the whole county to a stand-still - there is no way it takes two hours from The Point to Liffey Valley or Red Cow. The whole problem, I think is this fixation with 'clockface' timetables. Okay for low freqency route - but doesn't matter a jot for frequent services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement