Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

I actually got Vodafone’s Red Unlimited Sim Only plan for €15 a month from Vodafone home reps. They said it’s not available in store or online but my contract is €15 per month and first few bills are all €15 so seems to be some offer the reps have.
    Don’t have Vodafone broadband so it’s not a deal thing. Just got the sim from him.
    Vodafone’s €15 sim has unlimited calls to all Europe not just Ireland like the Sky deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭GIMP

Eir sold it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

All Vodafone Red plans increase in price by 3% + CPI every year. Most also only have a lower rate for 6 months before increasing, so I'm curious about that for your plan.

Their lower cost plans usually don't include 5G or have a 10Mbps cap too.

What were the terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

087 (and 088) were originally allocated to Eircell (part of Telecom Eireann/Eircom) but was sold to Vodafone around 2000 or so.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

After 7-8 hours total on the phone, finally managed to get the whole thing cancelled.

20 mins after i got off the phone i got a text saying my first bill will be taken on September 17th, for 15euro.

The saga continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Having thought about it and followed this thread the last few days, I'm thinking I might get an 087 PAYG sim from VF and use that to test the signal strength around my usual places for a few weeks.

That should allow Sky to iron out these bugs while I test and read how others are getting on in the wild. If I still want to switch then I can port over my main number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Website STILL doesn't work. Just redirecting to an 0818 phone number. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

It will work using Edge. It won't work using Firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PH0NER

Sky Mobile support is absolutely awful.

I clicked the button in my online account to replace my eSIM so I could switch it to a different phone. The system validated my information and sent an email saying to expect my new eSIM shortly. Instead, I received an email after saying "your order has been canceled." They had already disabled service on my existing eSIM, leaving me with no service.

I called Sky from another phone and explained that I had an issue getting a replacement eSIM and that my original eSIM was deactivated. Nobody understood the problem. I was passed around to 4 different agents and spent over an hour and a half on the phone.

None of them were able to simply issue an eSIM to me. They all kept offering to cancel my service and order new. I told them I did not want to lose this phone number.

I finally got an agent who understood she needed to issue a new eSIM, but the only way she could do it was by TEXTING a verification code to my number. She was not able to email a code. She couldn't understand that a SIM can't receive a text if it's not active and continued to argue that I should be able to receive a text even if the SIM has no service??? She kept saying it shouldn't matter.

Anyway, after all that, they said they'll have to escalate the problem somewhere else and will hopefully call me back on another line once it is ready.

UPDATE 1: I went to the store hoping they could easily just activate a physical SIM instantly. The store didn't have SIM cards. They said they could call support to order one, but it wouldn't be different from me doing that. I explained that I had tried to get them to mail me a physical SIM, but they kept saying they'd only be able to add a line and cancel my existing one - which I can't do, because I need the number…. What a mess.

UPDATE 2: I called the sales line in hopes they might know a better place to transfer me once I explained the problem. I believe he transferred me to his supervisor or something, because once he hit the button there was no hold music and someone almost instantly picked up. He claims to have sent a physical SIM, though I haven't received any email confirmation and it has been about 20 minutes. We'll see if something arrives by Tuesday.

Post edited by PH0NER on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

12 month contract at €15

Basically the Red Unlimited Sim Only discounted by €20 a month for 12 months.
    He said it’s discounted for life but will see what happens after the contract term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Can you port after you get the sim? I'm assuming you can order, try it for a few days and either port over or cancel within 14 days cooling off period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Not according to the agent I spoke to the other day. Said the port had to be done at the time of ordering and could not be done afterwards. Told him I’d leave it so as I wasn’t willing to give up my €7.99 48 plan without testing first. Now he could have been wrong but unless someone posts otherwise I’m going by what the agent said.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deeobrien

When I ordered via the website it said I could port my number in the app afterwards. So I went with a new number for now. Time will tell if that was a wise decision or not :-)

Its on the website when ordering that I saw it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

Same issue, no eSIM after reactivation attempt on Wednesday.

promised countless call backs and it’ll be fixed soon. I’ll be cancelling it today if it’s not fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thanks, didn't think it could be something as mental as that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

OT but this is the problem with Chrome being so dominant in the browser market, sites are designed with only it in mind. Every major browser except Firefox and Safari is based off some form of the Chrome engine. It's like the Internet Explorer 6 days all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Has anyone had any luck reporting/fixing the receiving of verification SMS codes yet?

I've started a process of reporting it myself on WhatsApp, which is one of their avenues for help.

Will report back if any progress is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

I ended up cancelling, couldn’t get an eSIM verification code sent out. They suggested I need to cancel the account and set up a new one which I agreed to so they transferred me. The department I transferred to had no idea what I wanted and wanted to start troubleshooting again by checking junk mail etc. Just ended up cancelling the whole thing unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

Are you not able to get Whatsapp verification codes on Sky? Isn't that one thing you need when setting up Whatsapp on a new network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Well I've WhatsApp setup now, albeit using voice verification - you receive a robo call from WhatsApp and they call out to the verification code on the phone call.

I've had problems receiving some codes via SMS eg WhatsApp, Revolut and some others.

Support said to wait 48 hours first. So I've another 24 hours to see what happens.

Normal SMS messages sent by people are being received e.g. from 48.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Having read all of the above issues I’m now reluctant to change to sky, if I receive the SIM but don’t activate can I assume I won’t be billed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

I would say that they’re a new network and will have teething issues. I’m giving it a month and seeing if reviews improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 tessy1995

anyone having issues porting their number to Sky? I ordered the Esim yesterday, installed the esim and requested the port while activating the esim but it has been more than 30hours and nothing yet. I called them and they were clueless and just asked me to wait.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm that you can port your number afterwards? Website says yes, agents seem to say no

Advertisement