Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm open to correction, while they can change their nomination, if they want to use Trumps campaign money that has been raised then it can only be for someone on that ticket. So, Vance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

those deadlines are all sailing past and in some cases long past now.

Which isn’t to say red states with red benches won’t just do whatever the hell they want anyway (look at North Carolina, the judges went out of their way to ensure the state will miss its ballot deadlines by weeks) but on whole no Trump is locked in.

I think he’s just losing his marbles now a wee bit and it’s made his handlers very nervous. Nevermind that he finds it so hard to find rally sites where he could both maybe draw a crowd and wouldn’t have to pay upfront for a venue (or be caught on the hook for venue bills he’s been dodging since 2016 and 2020), the “PTSD” of the attempt on his life probably doesn’t do him any mental favors either. And yet still he showed the ravages of age when for example he yelled at the moderator, now quoting: “The people on television say my dog was taken and used for food.” (Okay grandpa time to put you down for your afternoon nap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the originator of the pet eating hoax has come forward, confessing they had no evidence or direct knowledge to support their claims and that they regret how virulently the rumor has blown up (thanks to chronically online MAGA republicans such as JD Vance and others who don’t or can’t campaign on Trump’s policies (Project 2025) or record) she disavowed any intention to harm the Haitian community

Lee recently posted on Facebook about a neighbor’s cat that went missing, adding that the neighbor told Lee she thought the cat was the victim of an attack by her Haitian neighbors.

Newsguard, a media watchdog that monitors for misinformation online, found that Lee had been among the first people to publish a post to social media about the rumor, screenshots of which circulated online. The neighbor, Kimberly Newton, said she heard about the attack from a third party, NewsGuard reported

Newton told Newsguard that Lee’s Facebook post misstated her story, and that the owner of the missing cat was “an acquaintance of a friend” rather than her daughter’s friend. Newton could not be reached for comment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/-just-exploded-springfield-woman-says-never-meant-spark-rumors-haitian-rcna171099

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If Wiles leaves or is fired the wheels will fly off the fun bus in spectacular fashion.

Trump has apparently already backgrounded them and surrounded himself with lunatics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

I think that the "their eating cats" will be the end of Trump. Its a perfect summation of both his racism and his decent into madness. It's also packaged so neatly to destroy any lingering confidence in his ability.

Its a slow burning gift to the Dems - like a cancer in the Republicans camp. I wouldn't be surprised if there not dragging him off in a straightjacket by the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I didn't watch the video but does anyone believe there are undecided voters in reality, surely it is just those who for whatever reason don't want to admit who they are voting for and a bit paranoid, some who see a benefit in candidates fighting for their vote and a coupe who might switch. I would put money down that if you done a lie detector test on these "undecideds", there would actually be very few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah. Trump's goal here is not to win the vote, its to get close enough that he can use the courts, or some dodgy shenanigans by stooges the GOP have planted in the states and federal beaurocracy to throw enough spanners in the works that he can get electoral college votes overturned.

For Trump himself, it may be enough to keep delaying certification of the election results as this will continue to delay any federal trials and he feeds on chaos and instability. (Especially if your alternative is guaranteed federal convictions for all the crimes he's definitely guilty of)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Who do you think is the best footballer ever? Or gymnast? Or ballet dancer? What about who is the best accordian player of the last 20 years? Which Kardashian is the best? Who won Americans got Talent or Celebrity baking on Ice in the Jungle ?

To people interested in those areas there would be much debate but I haven't a clue. Similarly, there are plenty of people for whom politics, even news itself, is almost nonexistent.

They probably have heard the names but don't give it any thought. And even if they do they might feel that their vote is meaningless and thus what's the point in wasting time thinking about it.

I get there are lots of undecided non voters, often totally apolitical people, but in the swing states (the only places it matters) , especially if you're a potential Democrat supporter, voting is really hard. People queuing for hours in high temperatures, where its actually illegal to supply them with refreshments or even drinking water to keep them from abandoning the queue....

This is why Trump and the GOP are aiming at suppression of voters rather than convincing undecided voters to vote for them.

Any undecided voter at this stage is so apolitical that they're not likely to find it worthwhile to jump through hoops and put themselves through artificially high levels of stress and inconvenient to cast a ballot one way or another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yep, perfect analogy.

As crazy as it appears to us political anoraks, there's many out there that have no idea who Kamala Harris is, or why it's important to vote, or that the Trump image of him being a strong, successful man is false, and that he's actually a weak, conspiracy-believing, bitter old man coward of a loser.

Its also why Trump beats the polls in presidential campaigns while Trumpists in special elections often fall flat, because the voter suppression game is focused on president and general elections, not bi-elections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I see Laura Looney is coming out fighting denying any “relationship” with Trump as alleged by Bill Maher - but like, take a look at the 3 pictures of the two of them I posted in the article above -conjoined twins couldn’t be any closer to each other physically - they’re not normal posed photos -her body is full on pressing against his- it’s such a giveaway .

I wonder will Melania’s book launch get deferred now - wouldn’t you just love it - but I reckon she’s bagged millions from Trump in advance to put her name on that book and the money probably came from campaign funds as “advertising” - twisted the whole lot of them.

Certainly some green shoots here that things could unravel in just a few weeks -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13849611/Laura-Loomer-sue-Bill-Maher-comedian-claims-arranged-relationship-Donald-Trump.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Trump supporters like this guy (and I've no doubt that there are Harris supporters just as informed!)?

Anyone read the Popes “guidance” to voters in this election?

Essentially asking Americas 50+ million catholics to use their conscience to decide between “a lesser of two evils”- abortion or pushing immigrants away.

Sorry now - feel free to disagree- but I read that as pushing Catholic voters into the hands of Trump - practicing catholics have a built in revulsion to abortion of any kind - it’s ingrained into the conscience from very early in life.
    For the record, I respect people who have a faith and lead a peaceful existence even if I disagree with that faith.

But that guidance is just fcked up - the hate violence and destruction that Trump encourages through what he says, puts the lives of the living in great danger not just in America but across the world.

The expression “Fiddling whilst Rome burned” comes to mind - he would have been better off saying nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crkdmdg78jgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

• Advertisement

Of recent years Catholics in the USA have cleaved either lapsed - who basically ignore fairly much anything the pope says if it is inconvenient, or hard conservative right who will be voting Trump whatever.

I think the lapsed have it though. So this pronouncement will have almost zero impact on the vote.

Is there that many Roman Catholics in the US? I always thought it was a minority religion over there?

Yeah in terms of impact I think it will be minimal - I still think it’s irresponsible though - the issues are far greater than the two issues he pointed towards for example - all you have to do is look at what Trump is indicating in terms of Ukraine - essentially pushing that whole country into the hands of a communist dictator — or the Israel Gaza war- again we know Trump is quite willing to sit back and watch the total destruction of the Palestinian people - it was not good advice in any way shape or form and did not truly reflect the complexity of choice - even if you are anti abortion, moral philosophy would dictate that you prioritise the lives of the living over the lives of the unborn

333mill + Americans so at approx 62 mill catholics yes, it’s a “minority” religion (according to Google figures just now) - numbers and % may vary depending on source but in general it’s around this ballpark

HOWEVER- Pennsylvania has a population of approx 13 million people.

23% of that population are Catholics according to Google - that makes his statement far more influential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Dingaan

Harris's ABC interview was pure cringe. The first two minutes alone should disqualify her from running for president. She doesn't have a clue about the economy. "What specifically would you do to bring down prices? Eh, the people were proud of their lawns."

https://abc7news.com/post/kamala-harris-interview-6abc-philadelphia-brian-taffs-exclusive-action-news-vice-president-democratic-nominee/15300187/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Did she accuse Haitians of eating pets? No? Ya I think the desperation is showing from you guys.

I don't think any Trumper can say anyone should be disqualified from running for president.

The man is a convicted felon. If he wins he'll be commander in chief of the army. If he loses, he couldn't join the army as he's a felon. That should be enough to disqualify anyone running from president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did she bring a 9/11 conspiracy theorist to a 9/11 memorial?? Now that should have disqualified her if anything right?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭hometruths

I read that and thought the same thing, if you're a practicing Catholic differentiating between the lesser of these two evils is pretty unambiguous advice, no matter how it is dressed up.

As an aside it also occurred to me that this is the second potentially influential intervention this week

It remains to be seen whose views carry more weight, the Pope or Taylor Swift?

My money's on the childless cat lady!

See my edited post above- I’m with you on the childless cat lady overall but just look at the % of catholics in Pennsylvania - 23% - that makes what he says far more influential and significant for this swing state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I encourage you to continue to watch as many Kamala interviews for these gotchas. Maybe the penny will eventually drop and you can start to reverse the brain rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Reporters should just come out and ask if they are a couple

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The popes comments have not changed the dial on Pennsylvania one jot

Dems still 4/5 to take PA

Is it not too early to tell? I'm not even looking at the polls post debate until tomorrow.

This is a sample survey of Catholics in Pennsylvania around 2014 I believe - certainly aspects of the study could well have changed in terms of attitudes and “church going” percentages since then- however close to 90% of catholics in that state are white - that % won’t have changed significantly either way since. The survey data from that time indicates quite a high regular church going participation relative to say Ireland for example which has essentially collapsed to probably single digits these days . Also a growing elderly population which may well indicate a more conservative view- all supposition on my part and doesn’t take into account past voting history (I’ve no idea for example are this states Catholic voters predominantly Democrat voters or classed as swing voters. )

Not going to over egg this - it was more an exploration of interest for myself but given the knife edge this state rests on between the two candidates, it’s no harm developing a view on the demographics that make up this state

https://www.pewresearch.org/religious-landscape-study/database/state/pennsylvania/religious-tradition/catholic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm thinking that a lot of the voters who say they are undecided are more probably afraid or ashamed to admit they had a hankering after Trump, the man who "tells it like it is" after having the opportunity to look and listen to his public behaviour for weeks now on the stage alone after the other candidate he was so "ageist" about left the stage. The uncle/aunt you don't want to admit is related to you.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yep in theory the maths doesn't look good, but how many of those 23% are lapsed Catholics.

I can't help thinking that if abortion is the issue that is going to push you one way or another you will have decided which way a long time ago.

For me the significance of Taylor Swift is the boost to the apathetic young voter, somebody who thinks meh, neither of these appeal to me, or hasn't registered or won't bother to turn out etc.

I genuinely think Swift is one of the few people who can move the needle in that demographic, and if there a load of Swifties in rural Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania it could make quite a difference.

Her childless cat lady remark was genius in upping the engagement and motivation.

The republican primary results vs polls would counteract this argument.

It seems that there's a big minority of secret non Trump voters out there. Afraid to say they're not voting for him, for fear of reprisal within their community.

There was a vid posted here about those "undecided voter" and when they were pushed the majority jumped Harris'

So the dynamic maybe not what you imagine it is. There are a hell of a lot of Republicans who are truly embarrassed to be represented by Trump - but their still staunch conservatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thought trump summed it up perfectly-“she’s been in office for 3.5 years, why hasn’t she done it?” referring to all the wonderful thing she’s supposedly going to do. She’s not going to do anything

Probably wishful thinking on my part but I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a row behind closed doors in the GOP over who would be the better stand-by candidate [Vance or RFK Jnr] if Trump was given the heave overboard in a mutiny. I suppose it would depend on whom the undecided think would do a better job in reversing the stink Trump has created for the GOP with his public mis-steps.

Is Trump having family on the RNC much of an assist to the GOP now or is it now seen as a millstone by them?

The where-as "what has Trump done for us" is still there. A lot of US voters still have family living outside the US north and south of the equator.

Trump was president for 4 years. The border wall was his legacy to the US. Harris is [still] only the V/P.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Laura Looper is how I refer to her…

Definitely the Lady Melisandre in Trump's life right now, in all sorts of ways

"For the night is dark and full of terrors, like cat-eating Haitians"…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh FFS. Hey! Catholic Church! I know this seems to be a hard lesson for you residents of the Vatican to grasp but let me repeat it now: Nazis are bad.
    For the love of a God you claim to believe in stop being nice to nazis.

You’d think World War 2 and running Rat-lines to South America for Nazi war criminals (often in return for conversion to Catholisislm, I kid you not…) and being found out for it would have made them reflect a little on thier choices. I guess not…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Post edited by everlast75 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Well, Pope Francis is from Argentina, a place which was kind to lots of Nazis. What so many people fail to grasp is the distinction between a legal and a moral issue. I have huge moral problems with abortion, but I am against criminalising it, for very practical reasons - basically it doesn't work. I think that many of the Yes votes in our repeal the 8th referendum were Catholics who dislike abortion but who take a different attitude on the legal issue.

If you see Kamala Harris' recent speeches, she is obviously pro choice, but recognises that people may have velaid objections to abortion on moral grounds.

If you believe that moral beliefs should be legally enforced, it's a form of theocracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I do admire the fact Loomer is building up to cosplaying the mother from Brazil though.

Harris has not been the President for the last 3.5years, or do the Trump supporters actually believe she has been in the background pulling Bidens strings for the last 3.5 years.

The VP is largely a ceremonial position with absolutely minimal constitutional power. The VP is there to support the Presidents policy agents - not define it.

Because that's not a VP's job.

It's incredible he can describe HIS OWN VP PICK as:

"Historically, the vice president — in terms of the election — does not have any impact. I mean, virtually no impact,"

Yet he thinks Harris should have been doing more.

Make your f*cking mind up, Donny.

You do realize that VPs in america have almost no say in policy and are basically there just to keep the show on the road by implementing the POTUS' policies if the president gets sick or otherwise incapacitated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trump was the President for 4 years, why didn't he do all the things last time he is talking about now?
    Trump had a Republican majority in the House to work with.
    No excuses.

Will Trump explain then was he actually carrying out Mike Pence's agenda?
    He seems to think a VP in office can do that.
    Did he offer any concrete examples?
    I'm going to hazard a guess no, he is spouting nonsense to fool people who don't understand the US political setup, and have memory holed Trump's presidency.

Meanwhile, Harris was the VP, not the President, not even a Majority Leader in Congress. Not a lead role in the party. She was casting votes in Senate ties.

And the House of Representatives has had a Republican majority of late, a Republican party in a mess which has no interest in helping to govern the country responsibly.
    Witness the blocking of the bipartisan border bill by Republican stooges at the behest of Trump.

Yeah it sums up the double standards people apply to Harris v Trump, and the limited thinking of Trump that the criticism can be made about him with far more foundation and merit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The pope still believing that he and the church are still a relevant moral authority figure will never not be hilarious.

Proof positive that the only thing you need to control Trump is to put a sexually available women in front of him, but sure the Russians knew that a decade ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement