Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

I think 40k is a fantastic number to achieve in the 2nd year of going to Wembley. They were never going to hit the 2023 levels as excitement/anticipation levels were at an all-time high being its first ever show held in the UK.

I think they should give Wembley a break now and go back to the arena shows. Concentrate on the storylines and create the buzz around the product again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

To be fair there has definitely been a reset as such in AEW over the recent months. The storylines are catching up to the in ring standard.

The new tv/streaming deal with give them a massive boost, things are settling down well for them. The Australian show and ESPN deal will do well for them as well another untapped market starving for wrestling.

The early days buzz is building back up again. With all new products/companies the early buzz dies off there’s a lull period and I think AEW weathered theirs well and will have a good growth year in 2025.

Overall it’s great news for the wrestling industry in general it will push on all other companies to produce better content and work environments. Wrestlers and fans are the real winners in all this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Maybe for a TV taping, but for a ppv you'd want something bigger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meltzer says All In grossed about 15m

Which means it grossed about 5m more than last year despite the lower attendance.

Also reported merch sales were way, way up too. (Seems to be baked into that 15m figure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Titan Towers is up for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE, a subsidiary of TKO Group Holdings (TKO), later moved their global headquarters to Washington Boulevard in Stamford with TKO establishing its headquarters in New York City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

Someone mentioned in the All In thread that the Merch stalls were really poor… that there was v little selection on wrestlers tee`s so that surprising to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

Was the same in the three shows i saw in toronto while i was living there the past couple years , really poor selection. Think there merch is all print to order stuff really.

where as for edges last night or money in the bank there were leafs inspired tees / hockey jerseys / baseball etc available at the wwe shows and was worth queing up for.

• Advertisement

I think I did see on twitter that aew put put out something about looking for more designers regarding merch etc. Agreed they always fall short on merch which can easily be a money maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

That was me, yeah I was disappointed as were others I saw discussing the All In merch. Some said it was worse than even the previous year. The majority of the merchandise seemed to be specific to the event where as if they had one for a specific wrestler I'd have bought something.

I also heard the suggestion that ticket prices held a lot stronger (which I can attest to at least) so that may account for the revenue attendance wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are the interviews original? If so, it's possible it started out as one thing then turned into something else when the allegations came out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Looks like a complete and utter fluff piece. FFS. What could have been?!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dunno. There were parts there that seemed like we're going to get fluff initially and then the darker stuff will start... Similar to how some of the bigger docs like Making a Murderer and Tiger King went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

HBO budget Dark Side of the Ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

The talking heads in that trailer are definitely not ones that will say anything negative about McMahon.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

AEW's merch game has long been a weak point for sure. Even after letting one of the Bucks' Mrs go it's still as bad as ever.

Post edited by ThePott on

Seeing Benoit mentioned, I think it will be pretty negative and straight forward.

I just also think they'll write history to say Vince was entirely responsible for all the bad ****, but he's gone now and WWE is clean. No one at WWE knew anything, everyone was shocked, they sacked him the second they found out, please don't blame WWE as a whole.

Basically, seperate Vince from WWE. There's not really much reason not to be negative about Vince anymore. He's gone and has lost all value to them. This will be Netflix helping WWE cut the last string on the weight he has round their neck.

• Advertisement

Yeah Netflix like to be bombastic in the way they build up the central character of their docs only to go a full 180 on them, so can see Rock, Cena and HHH being prominent in the first episode and then they start dropping bombs towards the end of it and go full out attack in the second, they have a formula to these things that sells them and keeps the casuals coming back.

That, and as far as I've read, this documentary was pretty much done two years ago, and then the accusations came out, delaying the release.

There's a good chance those talking heads signed up for something that was originally far more "look how kooky he is, lol" in tone, and then shifted to darker once the accusations started. It will be interesting to see the shift in talking heads in the final few episodes.

It'll go from the likes of Vince, Cena, Rock to the likes of Meltzer.

Looking forward to the series

Prob won't listen to the rest of 'Behind The Bastards' podcast til after the series

“Mr. McMahon’ Netflix Doc Said To Be An ‘Absolute Double Shovel Burial’ Of Vince McMahon, Some People In WWE Not Happy About It.”

Have to love Netflix damaging the brand they’re going to start promoting for Jan 😂😂

F them anyway Vince caused the mess hope they stick the boot rightly in.

I love wrestling terms, need to bust out "Double shovel burial" at work some time 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Could be a case of destroying vince then pointing out he has nothing to do with it anymore and then push a narrative that at Netflix, behind the scenes will be much less sordid.

I think it will probably be a case that they'll pin every issue of the past on Vince and make clear that it's a new era without him, which is a bit rich but expected. At the very least I hope the show how much of a POS he is based on the stuff that he has done and the environment he cultivated that allowed others to act like assholes as well.

Also already expecting people to backlash when this documentary doesn't tear him to shreds over the current cases against him, even though they can't cause they're currently ongoing and technically in these cases he hasn't been found guilty.

I can drop a little news I heard last weekend from very reliable sources. Mance Warner is currently deep in talks with both AEW and TNA, getting close enough to signing to the point I can't book him for a show in December so should be interesting to see where he ends up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The PWI 2024 Top 10 Colour Commentators:

1: Nigel McGuinness 2: Wade Barrett 3: Caprice Coleman 4: Matthew Rehwoldt 5: Taz 6: Pat McAfee 7: Booker T 8: Hugo Savinovich 9: Veda Scott 10: Matt Menard

Where's Veda commentating?

WWE shop were selling this $10 plus shipping yesterday before pulling it.

She does a lot of GCW shows, some bigger indies like Pro Wrestling Revolver and I think a small few NJPW shows in the US also.

Hi folks,

I'm running a WWE themed game of Werewolf which starts this weekend if anyone has any interest in signing up.

If you're not sure how it works but would have some interest, or even what Werewolf is feel free to ask any questions!

PWInsider reporting that Motor City Machine Guns are officially signed to WWE.

There was rumours during the week they had signed and would be NXT bound.

• Advertisement

The JBL tour continued last night when he turned up at an MLW show.

Saying Lucha Bros also very close to signing and will go straight to the main roster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

They'll start in NXT and elevate whoever they end up working with, while in the same breath they will make appearances on Raw or Smackdown in no time.

Anyone **** on WWE for starting them in NXT are just being disingenuous. NXT is developmental, but bringing in stars to give young guys the rub of working with them, has been a thing in professional wrestling since forever.

I also think, at the age they are, they’re likely signing on to be coaches and so forth too, which means working in NXT with the younger talents.

adored MCMG back in the day. Thrilled for them to get the big payday.

Absolutely what I thought too. The amount of tag teams they've inspired over the years, having them be coaches in the PC someday is a definite goal. I think that's probably some incentive for them too to go to WWE over AEW.

• Advertisement

Shelley is a physiotherapist too so I'm sure there's a gig in that line of work for him too in the long run.

I see Aldis and Pearce are teasing a match against each other online.. Survivor Series around the corner…

Looks like Lucha Bros have officially signed to wwe

Fair play to Tony he could have left Rey sitting on the sidelines for another year because of the time he missed injured.

Good luck to them both hope they have an awesome run and make millions.

Miro has asked for his AEW release according to Sean Ross Sapp

KO is about to get paid. I’m delighted for him as he’s done all he can in wwe. He can go back to putting on great matches on a reduced schedule.

Would be great to see him in aew but have a feeling he will stay put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Is Sami's contract up at around the same time?

I hope this doesn't affect that movie he's been filming /s

In all seriousness, I feel like AEW fumble Miro a fair bit. His first persona was horrendous. The redeemer was good but it felt like they never capitalised on it. Apparently he had ego issues about going over but who knows.

Not sure what he does next. Maybe WWE but, where he'd fit in at this point, I don't know. He apparently has back issues too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement