Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm the one who brought this Organiser story to the attention of the thread. There would probably have been no discussion about it otherwise. I was surprised that it provoked such extreme reactions.

If you cycle from Dundalk to Newry on the hard shoulder, you will get a close up view of the rubbish along the road. Much worse in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Not made with hands

There's nothing extreme in people's reactions.

People are just pointing out they were already organising our bottles and bringing them to the RVM at the same time as we did our groceries anyway.

I don't think anybody is surprised that an RTE genepooler would turn up on consultancy selling snakeoil at the taxpayers expense.

This was the second post in reaction to it:

To be honest, that's a crock of $#&

That is extreme, and when people say To be honest, it is not a good sign. I am always honest here, without needing to point it out. Then we have this extreme Flight of Fancy, completely detached from reality:

"Now wait a minute. No one mentioned Julie Morgenstern (praise her). Game changer for me.

I used to park my car upstairs until JM (praise her) came up with the idea to park outside. Lads, I cannot tell you how much space this has saved in the house. Well, approx 1 car's worth of space, actually. If landing spaces are her new thing then I am all in.

Oh JM (praise her), bequeath upon us the correct method for storing our empty containers, lest we are inefficient in our storage or woefully inept in the pristine condition our containers must be in. Allow us also, JM (praise her) to learn from Sarah, your organisational representative on earth. May she reign in power and in glory forever and ever, JM."

If its a crock of sh1t it's a crock of ****.

Calling a spade a spade is not extreme.

I asked another poster to list the "few ideas" he was crediting the genepooler with giving us.

I'm stilling waiting. And I'll wait forever. Because he can't list them, because she has given us no "hacks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is Tesco the only retailer where you can bring the DRS receipt back to any of their stores to spend it, I notice they have no store specific restriction printed on the receipt?

Now having the receipt being able to be used in any retailer who is part of the scheme would be like moving from the stone age in to the bronze age, perhaps that will happen within the next 10 years 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's nothing extreme in calling nonsense nonsense. If you brought it up tongue in cheek, then fair enough but anybody who genuinely thinks it was either good advice or necessary advice needs their heads examined. And of course there would have have no discussion on it if you hadn't brought it up. Why would there be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im getting used to it now, buying some drinks in bottles as you do wandering around town, dump them in a bin when finished, hope some homeless person finds them and consider it giving to the homeless so dont worry about the extra cost, was that the idea though? lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Should you not dump the plastic bottles on the street to make it easier for them to find? You don't want them opening themselves up to deadly diseases trawling through cesspit public bins that contain all sorts of crap, literally, like dog crap. Also, by dumping them on the street and whatever else rubbish you have, you're helping to keep street sweepers in employment. Am I doing this right? 😉

I didnt think of that , just leave the empties beside the bin , I dont want to be a litter bug but seems reasonable in this new reality

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Leaving beside the bin would be littering.

The wind will blow them around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Someone posted a pic of a ring around bins in Germany (?) so bottles cans could be left... no need to root through dirty bins.

Return could be putting money into initiatives like that instead of doling out patronage for braindead puff pieces.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That could be your landing spot.

Place them in between shrubs to negate the wind, stick them on the end of branches. You could make it almost a bit like an Easter egg hunt.

Make a little chain of cans with some string, it should help weigh them down a bit. Or place the chain of cans around the bin, to make them even more secure.

Can I get a BS gig like Sarah Reynolds did with Return?

Say you bought one a day for five days every week, 15 cent ones. But allowing four weeks when you are away on your foreign holidays. That would add up to €36 every year. €36.

you shouldnt buy drinks out everyday, thats just throwing money away and not good for your health unless its just water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I posted a pic along with a couple of other contributors to the thread.

Trials are going ahead in Dublin.

It's up to each local authority because they own the bins.

No reason why Re-turn wouldn't sponsor them and maybe have their brand on them.

https://www.thejournal.ie/recycling-trays-trialled-to-discourage-people-going-through-bins-plastic-bottles-6458666-Aug2024/#:~:text=These%20'bottle%20rings'%20are%20brilliant,looking%20for%20cans%20and%20bottles.&text=%E2%80%9COne%20or%20two%20are%20being,to%20see%20if%20they%20work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

Silver Harp and Sligeach,both of you are correct.#2209 and #2210.But council litter wardens will have you - more levies extorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭beachhead

#2217 Another ring tender going out.Probably to a buddy in the fabrication trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My latest conundrum.

I buy lots of diet coke. It's all I drink. It's 99% water and I'm (certified) the healthiest I've been in my life. I assume it's because I don't drink anymore. Anyway, that's that. It's why I'm so sure of the greeflation in diet coke. €10/24 cans 4 years ago. Now it's €17/18 cans. The same factory packages rhe 24 cans still for the North, to be sold at under €10/24 cans. Anyway...

I no longer wfh, have a normal job. 12 hour shifts in a building. Monitoring, so in the same room for 12 hours. I go through approximately 6 cans (including lunch) per day working. So that's 6 cans that have to come home with me. Now, here's the conundrum, bringing home the cans. I can:

• Throw them in a bag as they are, resulting in them spilling in the bag, necessitating the washing of plastic bags to remove the sticky coke residue.
    • Rinse them out at work with water and dry using blue roll. Can't leave them drain as its a shared space.
    • Use a bit of blue roll and stick it into the cam to soak up the remaining residue.

First 2 result in wasted water, which were supposed to be not wasting. Third one possibly contaminates the cans for the recycling process (if they actually get recycled) but also unnecessarily using another product. So even if I get the deposit back, I'm doing more damage to the environment and losing money as a result. Great scheme, really!

• Advertisement

You're overcomplicating simply rinsing out a can. A little water in a can, swill around, pour out. Drying not required. Toss in bag. I do it all the time at home and out.

Am I though? 42+ cans a week for 52 weeks, a small bit of water adds up... and if you don't use enough you still end up washing the bag because you didn't completely clean out the sticky coke residue... its supposed to be better than just putting them straight into my blue recycling bin without any washing!

Have you reached out to the RTE genepooler to see if she has a hack for that.

I was at a "recycling" centre on Friday. I was getting rid of a load of garden waste, car is weighed on the way in, you tell them what you're getting rid of, and you're weighed again on the way out, and then you pay. It cost €10, but that's not the issue.

There was a bit of a queue, there was a skip truck, and a jeep with a trailer full of what I think was household green bin waste. So eventually it's my turn, it's a massive outbuilding and the guy just dumps the lot on the ground. Everything is mixed, and I mean everything. There's no separation, I thought there would be designated areas for general waste, green bin and brown bin waste. Then a guy came along on a front loader and scoops it into a huge pile containing every imaginable kind of waste.

So I'm wondering what happens to all of this rubbish? Is it incinerated? Outside I can see there's a pile of waste metal, so they must separate that at least. But apart from that, I was just thinking we're being put through this massive inconvenience with DRS, meanwhile there's places there's places like this right throughout the country. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I think they have a machine that sort through the rubbish. Any obvious recycling materials like plastic and paper shouldn't be getting dumped in there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I see the odd person on the streets of Dublin with a black bag picking up discarded cans and bottles to make a few quid. That's the biggest positive for me

Are they picking up all rubbish, or just the ones that'll make them money?

18 packs of 330 ml cans of Diet Coke are available for €14 in Dunnes until 18 September. And Tesco with a Club Card until 01 October. Plus deposits of course.

Exactly. All of a sudden "green" warriors are cheering that some plastic bottles might get recycled but not a word on disposable coffee cups, pizza boxes, sandwich wraps etc scattered along every hedge from Malin to Mizen.

Probably means there's another scam on the way for all them. Then once all rubbish is covered, the streets should be sparkly clean....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lidl are advertising a little bin... 7e …perfect for storing Return items.

Lidl how about getting your machines to work reliably?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So still 50% than the same cans going north. Ignoring that rhe 18 pack seems to be for Ireland only as you can still get 24 packs in the North. For £7. Although they seem to be trying to roll out the 18 pack there too.

We'll also ignore that the price difference between the regular coke and the sugar free versions are too close for the sugar tax to be accounted for properly. So we're either underpaying the regular coke (we're not) or the sugar free is priced higher than it should be. CCPC don't seem to care about that even though I brought it to their attention.

Actually, what do the ccpc do? Because as far as I can tell they just watch prices increase and say nothing.

I took a look at the CPI for Soft Drinks going back the four years. Your Diet Coke increase is way way above the overall category. Although the category did increase by 11.1% in 2022 and 10.1% in 2023, before DRS.

How confident are you of your recollection of the €10 for 24 four years ago being correct. And might it have been a limited time offer like the €14 for 18 now? For a fair comparison.

Oh, you're right, the special offer was €10, sometimes €8. Standard price was €12. But it went on offer at least once a month. Now, it was about 2 months or more ago when they were last on sale for €10, €14 is the new special data collection price (in Tesco) but even that is not around very often anymore. €17 is the standard price now. So €5 increase in 4 years on top of a 25% volume reduction.

So for reference, in 2020 the standard price of 24 diet coke was €12, often on special for €10 and sometimes on special for €8. Breaking that down:

€12 - 50c a can

€10 - 42c a can

€8 - 33c a can

Now, its standard €17 for 18, sometimes of offer for €14, and rarely get the €10 offer anymore. Breaking that down:

€17 - €1.05 a can

€14 - 77c a can

€10 - 55c a can

So even the cheapest offer now is more expensive than the most expensive offer back then. CPI don't track that?

I've also heard that per can it costs Coca-Cola 10-20c, up from the 1c to 5c I read years ago.

Have a look at Clause 11 onwards, Environmental Levy, and Prohibition of certain one use containers. That levy on the suppliers if it comes in will have to be passed on to customers. Expect howls of protest from all sorts of warriors.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2022/act/26/enacted/en/print.html

I see those disposable cups and lids dumped everywhere. They're a way bigger scourge than cans and plastic bottles. And realistically, how often do you see discarded 2 litre plastic bottles? Sure you see the odd one, but not many.

Absolutely. I have done weekly litter picks for years and plastic bottles of any size were always a small percentage of what I picked up. Cans were slightly more numerous but coffees cups, lids and general takeaway detritus plus deli packaging were, and still are, the big offenders.

Where I am, the 2 litre are probably as common, in proportion to the number of them on sale compared to smaller ones. But it is a bit of a futile exercise using just what you and I are seeing. I noticed a few 5 litre ones as well.

Have a look at the plans in the Circular Economy legislation for coffee cups and much more. I expect if and when those measures come in, it will provoke an almighty Irexit type reaction. About "Brussels" forcing us into Nanny Statism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like yourself many environmental groups have been involved in anti litter campaigns for years.

There is literally nobody who cares for the environment ignoring litter.

The people to blame are the ones who dumped the litter.

https://www.voiceireland.org/workshops/picker-pals

https://www.coastwatch.org/micro-litter-survey

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40842389.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

The only things Brussels is forcing on us are targets. The "reaction" will be against whatever money grubbing solution our lads come up with for disposable cups and lids. Similar to how it is now with Re-Turn.

It really is tiresome reading this fabrication again that everything is being forced on us by the EU. So for the umpteenth time. Our gombeens put Re-Turn together. Not the EU.

• Advertisement

It is all coming from the 2018 EU Directive, and previous ones. Obviously as agreed among all member States. The Polluter Pays principle means that our DRS is not costing our taxpayers anything. And only those who choose not to get their refunds are losing out.

https://repak.ie/driving-change/circular-economy-eu-legislation/eu-plastics-strategy-and-sup-directive/

"And only those who choose not to get their refunds are losing out."

That's BS. People at airports aren't choosing not to get their refunds. DRS machines swallowing empties without giving credit isn't people choosing not to get their refunds. People bringing minerals to sick people in hospital aren't choosing not to get their refunds. I've listed numerous other examples before.

That's not to mention the needlessly created hassle and nuisance of bringing empties back to shops, when there was a perfectly viable option working before of putting them in their green bin at home, at work, etc. Or having to come back again, when the DRS machine is inevitably out of order.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Plus, there are plenty of people who for various physical reasons cannot get to a DRS machine and there have been numerous examples provided on this thread already. It's thoroughly disingenuous to a, frankly, staggering level to cast out such a spoof suggesting that "only those who choose not to get their refunds are losing out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭halkar

One man's trash is another man's treasure. This is nothing more than another environmentalist scam. Someone is making big money out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭jj880

Show us where the EU Directive states customers in member states must go into shops to get deposits back with no option of IBAN refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

But our Minister said,

"One of the big learnings that we took away from our examination of the Deposit Return Schemes in other countries was that everyone in the Deposit Return Scheme chain has to be paid for their work." Yeah right! So I pay the deposit, clean the cans, store the cans, sort the cans, and bring them to a machine hoping it is working. Where's my fooking payment?

And in the meantime, I pay an increased rate since DRS for kerbside waste collection including a recycling bin which used to take these recyclables!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This green warrior would be 100% in favour of banning take away coffee cups altogether. Think some town in kerry did it already.

Mine has stayed the same so far, but it has been going up over the years. Did yours tell you they put up the price because of DRS? What reasons did they use for increases before DRS?

Jesus, that level of doubt in any other thread would be called victim blaming...

• Advertisement

As far as I know, nothing has changed since July. All we had before was the waste companies feeding sob stories to the papers. People should be very suspect of these chancers.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2024-07-10/23/

"Household waste collection in Ireland is mainly carried out by private companies – operating in a competitive market under a local authority permit system.

The Department is currently engaging with the Irish Waste Management Association (IWMA) and other stakeholders such as REPAK – to quantify what substantive impact, if any, the introduction of the Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) will have on the waste collection system in Ireland over the longer term."

Advertisement