Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You can, there’s an option in my sky to tell them what number you want to port in.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 EryykTV

The website is still having issues across all browsers (Safari, Firefox, Edge, Chrome). I tried ordering a SIM by phone on Wednesday but was told they were facing technical problems and would call me back after a patch—never got the call. I called again Thursday, went through sign-up, and the agent misspelled my mobile plan name as "SkyMolibePlan." Small error, but it made me doubt whether my other details were entered correctly.

During the call, she also misheard my eircode, despite me using the NATO phonetic alphabet. Now, I’m worried she messed up my direct debit, which I can’t manage online, and I might face a late payment fee. She said I'd get an email confirming my contract within 30 seconds—nothing came. Only after creating a SkyID account did I receive an order confirmation. Clearly, their backend is a mess.

I’m now waiting for my SIM card. The app says it’s already delivered, which isn’t possible. I avoided eSIM because they seem unreliable in Ireland, with issues from Vodafone, Lycamobile, and Three.

I'm reconsidering activating the SIM when it arrives. I’m currently on Vodafone PAYG for €20/month with mostly unlimited services. Sky’s €15/month deal for unlimited services on Vodafone’s network is appealing, but their reliability, stability, and customer service are now in question. I don’t want to lock into a 12-month contract with a company that seems to have difficulties in nearly every part of their service.

My biggest gripe is that Sky seems to operate as a phone-only service—everything from managing direct debits to updating account info must be done via phone. People say Sky has better service than GoMo or 48, but if phone calls are the only option, that feels like a downgrade compared to email or chat-based support.

I assume when my SIM card arrives and I choose to not activate it, my number won't start automatically porting and my contract won't activate right?

Alternatively, if I do activate my SIM card and port my number over, and in the 14 day cooling off period I change my mind and decide I want to move back to Vodafone, is that even an option yet? Do the Vodafone/Eir/Three etc websites have the updated option to port a number from the Sky Mobile network? I believe if I port my number out in the 14 day cooling off window it will automatically cancel my contract with no issues?

Or do I have to contact Sky to cancel after the fact, would be mad annoying if I port my number out and they still bill me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 tessy1995

this option is available but doesn’t seem to be working for me. I activated my esim and used this option to port my number on thursday, its been 2 days and nothing yet. I called sky and their clueless tech team can’t do anything. They just asked me to wait more.

this option is available but doesn’t seem to be working for me. I activated my esim and used this option to port my number on thursday, its been 2 days and nothing yet. I called sky and their clueless tech team can’t do anything. They just asked me to wait more.

• Advertisement

Yeah this is exactly why even after ordering the SIM I am reluctant to switch, clearly this is not a finished product.

to be fair it is only happening with my number. My partner also moved to sky esim from gomo. The port happened within seconds and is using sky from a few days now no issues whatsoever with codes etc. speed and coverage has been a great experience coming from gomo. Its just my number which is not getting ported. I called in sky today as well, just asked me again to wait for 1-2 working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 vapourer

your Port probably got rejected due to wrong account number or verification code or something like that. You can ask them to see if it got rejected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks for clarifying, did ye come from 4G or 5G plan?

they just said its awaiting completion and asked me to wait, don’t think the code/account number is the issue here.

• Advertisement

I've 5g with gomo too. Always have receptions, usually full bars 5G but unless I'm in specific spots, the data speeds are never great.

gomo has been fine in the past few years local/international both except for a few blackouts. In general we were happy with it for €15 unlimited. My partner uses vodafone for work and believes its much superior to eir network. so this sky deal was a no brainer along with unlimited eu/uk data + esim support + real customer support on call (even though they are clueless now but am sure these things will iron out with time).

I switched from gomo €15 aswell. No brainer, better network, better coverage, better data speeds and unlimited roaming in the EU. Also no fair usage policy on the data. Gomo was 120GB of data for ireland and 16GB For Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger myself. As much as I'd like to be on GoMo, the coverage is just too poor here. I know I could possibly rely on Wi-Fi calling in the house but even outside it's quite bad. Whereas Vodafone's network is much better.

Im going to pull the trigger.

Do I just order online, choose switch and nothing happens until I choose to activate and it switches straight away?

Don't want my gomo going into the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

Just ordered a physical SIM card there, anyone know or have experience with how long it takes to arrive?

When I activate, does the switch/port auto take place or do I select the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I ordered one on Wednesday night still haven’t received it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭rhinosaurious

you can select a date and time as far as I’m aware - I also had the option to choose as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

did you get a confirmation email to say it was dispatched or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Currently on the 9.99 Gomo plan and no issues really except when abroad I can't get connected to a network a lot of the time (restart phone, trying to manually select network…) and if I do the data download is like dial up - I'm guessing since this is Vodafone it's likely to be a lot better coverage? Plus 5G would be a little bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭eronayne

I ported my 086 number in a few days after activating the sky service in an eSIM that had an 089 number. It can be done from within the MySky app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

eSIMs and all? Nice one!

Will probably give it a week or two for the teething issues to be resolved and port over from Vodafone. Currently paying 25 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Got two emails. One confirming order and a second confirming dispatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Cork981

After cancelling my initial order due an esim issue they couldn't resolve, I gave the benefit of the doubt and ordered a new SIM and ported in a number.

I can receive and make calls but can't receive any SMS to the number I ported in. This is usually due to a partial/failed port.

I'm onto support now going through the usual reset you device, delete all your current messages which I have refused to do.

It is a new network with expected teething issues, but my god I am getting no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭biebiebie

@Cork981 is that a failure to receive any SMS, or just 2FA verification codes?

• Advertisement

Ordered, email confirming and another email confirming postage

Advertisement