Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Resolved] Three month ban from soccer

• 14-08-2024 11:18pm
    Administrators Posts: 396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from:

Received a 1 month ban from the Soccer Forum for writing "3-3. Oh ya!"

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

New Premier League, same old story with the mods. The Community Shield was on yesterday, I switched it on when it went to penalties. After it was over I made a couple of comments in the new Premier League season thread as there was no dedicated Community Shield thread, absolutely nothing in the comments. However, at 8PM I got a PM from Necro saying I've been banned for 3 months for baiting for this comment.

It's an entirely fair comment. I told the mod it was a ridiculous warning, there was no abuse, no arguing, no animosity in the thread, let alone the post. I said I would be appealing it, and their opening response was "Appeal away."

I explained why the comment was fair and accurate, but they weren't interested.

Just like the poster said, "That game told us nothing really.

There is the odd time it acts as a barometer for where the teams are at. I didn't get that sense at all today."

So too was the FA Cup final not a true barometer of where both teams were at. The FA Cup final meant everything to Man United, it was their only means of qualifying for Europe. Ten Hag was fighting for his job. Make no mistake, he was gone had they lost. And by extension, some of the players.

Whereas Man City were already qualified for the Champions League months ago. Pep wasn't going to lose his job. Man City won the Premiership on the last day of the season. Then less than a week later, after heavy celebrations no doubt, they had to play the FA Cup final. You could see some of the City players had already checked out mentally and physically in the final and weren't at it, subs at half-time, De Bruyne didn't even last 60 minutes and was absolutely awful.

This was the same Man City team that had won their last 9 PL games in a row, were unbeaten in their last 23 matches. Their last defeat was a 1-0 defeat to Aston Villa in early December 2023. So yes it wasn't a true barometer of where both teams were at, and tell me, what's so unfair about the comment? It's such a nonsense and vague warning, "baiting" that is. You could construe almost anything as baiting if you wanted.

Edit: Just for comparisons sake, Man United's form for their last 9 PL games was won 3, drawn 3 and lost 3.

It's over 3 days later, and I've had no response. Can someone deal with this please?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is a separate ban, so I've split this off as a new appeal.

@awec If you could please review.

Thanks. But I would have preferred the post being left where it was. It highlighted the continuing, ridiculous and pedantic nature of the moderation in the Soccer Forum. Plus, the last appeal wasn't resolved either. I'm going to leave a link to it, so any onlookers can see what goes on here.

Wait, where is all that history gone? What have you done here? Deleted all the previous posts? Why would you do that, instead of creating a new thread? Can you reverse that please? I could have created a new thread, but didn't for a reason. I want people to see EXACTLY what goes on here. And for posterity as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The old thread was moved to the DRP archive, as is normal practice, nothing was deleted.

• Advertisement

Sorry, so where can I see it please? And as I said, it was never resolved. Never mind, I've found it. Who is going to see that? Who even goes in there? You'd be covered in cobwebs visiting that crypt.

It was never "resolved", that's why it was still open, and I posted a new comment in it. It's an ongoing issue. I've said numerous times what goes on here, but if whoever makes a decision on this separate matter and if they come down on the side of Necro, you're showing to all who will see this, all be it limited, in this corner of Boards.ie, that what I've said about moderation on this site is true.

You were given an admin response, which you didn't respond to for 4 months. If you still have something to respond with regarding that 1 month ban, I can move it back then.

From the last post.

"sligeach, as per my previous post to you in February if you want to discuss the ban you come to discuss the ban. You don't come throwing around digs and insults."

And they continue…

"May I suggest though that you look at your argumentative and aggressive style of posting. Your posts on this thread have been long rants throwing insults at the site, the moderators and the administrators. There was no reasonable discussion. You have been made aware of the type of posting that will get you warned and/or banned from Soccer. If you wish to remain an active member of the soccer forum you need to contribute constructively."

I can't think why I didn't respond to them, or why they didn't take their own advice. You know, some might call that post "baiting". 😉

I have discussed the issues. But what it all boils down to is, we're(mods) right(because we hold the power), you're wrong, just accept it.

It's been 2 weeks now since I made this appeal, started in the previous thread. Can someone deal with it please?

This is beyond a joke at this point. It's 2 weeks now since I last asked someone to look into this. And that was 2 weeks on since I first opened this dispute. The Ireland v England match is starting shortly and I can't comment on it, over a travesty of a warning.

• Advertisement

Necro had contacted me to say I can come back to the forum if I don't post in an "inflammatory manner". I told them I haven't done anything wrong and I want it acknowledged in the Dispute Resolution forum. I said I want an apology as well, but I know that's NEVER going to happen.

Agreeing to something I haven't done wrong, will only result in a future warning for similar and back here again.

Yet another week has passed and still nothing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for the delays. I have taken take a look

I would firstly say your prior appeal was resolved. You may not have liked the outcome, but you were given chances to revisit your approach, both within the Soccer forum and indeed the dispute resolution forum

There is a single question tonanswer here. Was you opost worthy of a 1 point warning. If so the 3 month ban follows under the Soccer Forum Charter. There was no reason to refer to the FA Cup Fina llike that other than to bait United fans. Something you have been warned for before.

You were given an option here that would have had your resultant ban lifted on the basis of "time served". You decided not to take that option so this ban remains

The prior appeal wasn't resolved and remained open, it was only closed when I added this dispute to it. When a dispute is resolved, it says so and is closed, if wasn't.

And your opinion that "There was no reason to refer to the FA Cup Final like that other than to bait United fans." is absolute nonsense. You know it, I know it, any right thinking person reading this knows it. I am not in the slightest bit surprised by your reaction though given your history. This dispute "resolution" forum is a charade. It's a mockery.

I was not attempting to bait anybody. Fact. And it's a perfectly legitimate opinion. I also backed up my opinion with facts. Man United didn't lay a glove on Man City in the league in both matches. The league form of both clubs going into the FA Cup final were polar opposites, I posted above.

But, also, even their runs to the FA Cup final were in complete contrast. Man City beat Newcastle in the quarter-finals and Chelsea in the semi-finals. While Man United needed extra-time to beat Liverpool at Old Trafford with literally the last kick of the game. And needed penalties to beat Coventry City(and but for a marginal call by VAR, United would have lost in extra-time, and it would have been, one of, if not the biggest FA Cup semi-final shock ever).

I've been warned before alright, for equally outrageous decisions.

My "option" was not the mod admitting that they were wrong, but them saying "I'm willing to readmit you to the forum, if you're happy enough to avoid posting in an inflammatory matter regarding United."

Why would I be "happy enough" to admit to something I haven't done wrong? I could have said yes and I'd be back there. But I wouldn't have had justice, and it only be a matter of time before they pull the same stunt.

And if you've read the previous dispute, I don't put much stock in your opinion, or Ten of Swords. You 2, and it's just my opinion here, but ye shouldn't be in a position of power.

I want another mod to make a ruling here. Let's see if any of ye have the guts to make the right call here. I sincerely doubt it, that's why nobody had answered this thread for over a month. And they're definitely not now going to go against one of the kingpins here.

Here again, as a reminder is the comment made by a member and my response.

I'll even ask you @Beasty was the FA Cup final a true barometer of where both teams were at? Just a simple yes, or no answer.

Post edited by sligeach on

I've borrowed this list of names from another dispute. I don't know if all the names are relevant, I know some are.

@ancapailldorcha

@Big Bag of Chips

@Pawwed Rig

@Skylinehead

@Sephiroth_dude

@Kimbot

@Gremlinertia

@Tokyo

@Ted_YNWA

@Stheno

I've removed a couple of the names. I would like to hear from some of the above at least, and hear their opinion on this dispute.

• Administrators Posts: 14,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi sligeach,

I have no interest in discussing this dispute. I tried a number of times to discuss a previous dispute with you, but you repeatedly ignored me. I was willing to try find a resolution but you would not discuss it preferring instead to ignore my post and come back months later to throw around another few insults at the moderators and admins.

An admin has looked at this appeal and upheld it. I will leave it at that.

Sorry, but you were throwing out insults. Part of your last comment from the previous dispute.

"May I suggest though that you look at your argumentative and aggressive style of posting. Your posts on this thread have been long rants throwing insults at the site, the moderators and the administrators. There was no reasonable discussion. You have been made aware of the type of posting that will get you warned and/or banned from Soccer. If you wish to remain an active member of the soccer forum you need to contribute constructively."

What was I supposed to say to that? I was willing to discuss it, but, again, sorry, you weren't being helpful. Just like you've commented here that you're not going to do anything, which, AGAIN, isn't helpful.

And, if you remember, I wrote:

"It depends on who the admin is? How many Admins are there? I've experience with 2 of them. They're the real lunatics of this asylum in my opinion(it's an expression of speech, in case I get accused of calling people names). If it's Ten of Swords, I'm not interested. And if it's Beasty, I'm definitely not interested. He's one of the biggest problems with this site. Ye all stick together, and nobody is ever going to disturb the hive."

If I have to explain why, I will.

• Administrators Posts: 14,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

sligeach, you have been asked multiple times (politely) to put forward your case for disputing your warning without abusing the moderators or admins. You seem incapable of doing that. You've even copied and pasted your insults from your previous thread into this one.

The very first paragraph of the rules of posting in this forum is:

Posting abusive comments about a moderator you have issue with will result in further action being taken – this could be an escalation of Infraction to ban or a ban to a category ban. Your appeal will be closed and no further appeals on the matter will be entertained. We will not allow people to abuse moderators (or indeed any other members) in this forum.

Here is the link should you wish to familiarise yourself with it.

As a result I am locking this dispute. Do not open another. Your ban has been upheld by an Admin. There is no further appeal. You have been given some good, sound and level-headed advice from Necro in those PMs. I suggest you reread them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement