Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Show about Giroud on Sky Documentaries now.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We can't afford to drop many points with City already 3 points ahead in the league. I think we'll draw tomorrow but really even though it's so early in the season a point is not enough regardless of injuries. Hopefully we'll steal a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

How sad must someone's life be to pretend to follow a club on the Internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I supported Arsenal since I was 8 years old I have been to see them play three times. Just because I don't think Arteta is the right man for the job doesn't mean don't support Arsenal.

Loads of Arsenal were calling for Wenger's sacking in the later years and believe it or not there's a minority like myself who think Arteta is failing. Don't get me wrong I'd love Arteta to prove me wrong this season and go out and win the league and/or the UCL but I don't see that happening.

I want to see the club win the league and/or Champions League and I feel we'd have a better with a manager like Tuchel, Enrique, Inzaghi, Emery or Klopp than Arteta. It has always struck me that there's a cohort in the fanbase who seem to be content once we're qualifying for Champions League it was only when we failed to qualify for the UCL the pressure seriously mounted on Wenger and he eventually got the sack.

I think the standards should be higher we should go into every season expecting to win trophies preferably the league or UCL but failing that a domestic cup or a second tier European competition like the UEL.

I don't like how Arteta pooh poohs the likes of the domestic cups and the Europa League when we were in it in order to focus on the league. Especially when a lot on here are City are too difficult to compete with well City weren't even in the Europa League the seasons we were in in it. City have gone out early in the Cup competitions some years so surely that gives us a better chance to win it.

Trophies are what the game is about for the fans. Personally I'd rather win an FA Cup or League Cup and do poorly in the league than come second in the league and win nothing.

Imagine if it was still the case that only the League winners got Champions League football or the European Cup as it was. I don't like how the Prem is so money driven now where teams are happy with mediocrity. Personally I think all the money should go to the winner as prize money and the rest get nothing. Watch teams change their tune and suddenly there's 7 or 8 teams every season competing for the title a much more entertaining spectacle for the fans than now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

It's like listening to Danny Murphy.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For me, it's pretty simple when it comes to Arteta.

Every year under Arteta there's been steady improvement, to the point now where improvement from here means winning the league.

If I see the club improve every season, year on year, then I find it hard to be too dissatisfied with how things are going and the manager.

Given the size of the club, the expectations of fans, the scale of the squad overhaul required, and the apparent total dysfunction that existed all through the club - on the pitch, in the stands, in the boardroom - when he came in, I find it honestly very difficult to have a big problem with Arteta. And by extension, Edu et al.

To say it feels like Wenger later era seasons? That's a statement that doesn't correspond with reality at all. Those seasons weren't even a case of stagnation, that was obvious decline.

The improvement in Arsenal, particularly in the last three years, can not be denied. To not acknowledge that stretches all credibility past breaking point.

Who knows how things may have gone with Emery. In his full season the team completely shat the bed in the run in ,when fourth was there to be got, and got absolutely spanked in the EL final, and then the team was entirely mediocre for what remained of his tenure. Whatever else about it - I don't think he passed the audition!

There's no denying that he's - Emery - is a good coach, but I think the Arsenal job was too big for him. Whoever came in immediately after Wenger was on a hiding to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

So if he doesn't win the league this season and finishes 2nd it's stagnation and if he falls down the table it's a decline. Don't forget Arteta finished 8th in his first two seasons but Emery was considered a failure halfway through the second season after a poor run of form.

After challenging City last season the next step should've been to go out into transfer and sign a striker and a Saka backup but we failed to do this. If we had have signed Toney or Oshimen I feel we'd have a good chance of winning the league.

Arteta got far more time and backing in the transfer market than Emery ever did. Emery wanted Zaha but was given Pepe instead also players like Lichsteiner and Luiz were forced on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The final nail in the coffin for me was the Europa League Final against Chelsea. I genuinely thought we had a chance that day and we were absolutely walloped! I don’t think the players had any belief in him after that and it was only a matter of time before he had to go

With regards to the Arteta bashing? I’m not having it at all. It’s been a long time since we’ve been this good to watch. It’s a results based game and that’s where Arteta will ultimately be judged but off the back of breaking records for most PL wins and most goals scored I genuinely can’t understand where the criticism is coming from?

Guardiola has only failed to win the PL in his first season and the season that Liverpool won 26 out of their first 27 games. This is the standard now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Seeing where Zaha’s career has gone, is it really a dealbreaker anymore that Emery wasn’t able to sign him? Good player, definitely, but I can’t say now that I’m hugely disappointed that we didn’t get him

I don't know. We haven't seen the general trajectory of the club go in the wrong direction under Arteta so far and we're three games into the season. A bit early to be casting judgement on the year.

Arsenal could be better again this season and still finish second and that wouldn't necessarily be stagnation - more a case of being up against incredible opposition. No team has been as dominant in the history of the Premier League or even English football in general than this City team.

Arsenal could be miles off and it could be that this was as far as Arteta was able to bring them. We'll have to see.

We don't know what the season will bring and what the context will be behind it all.

Sometimes a team can have a bad season, without it meaning that the whole project is in decline. Liverpool in 20/21 seemed broken, but they recovered after that again. But even then, Klopp - absolutely one of the greatest managers of all time - was only able to beat City to the title once. It's no joke to be up there competing with City.

Sometimes you need more than just a single season to look at the bigger picture. The later era Wenger decline happened over the course of more than ten years.

Yes, I agree Arteta has been given more time and money than Emery. So what? That doesn't mean that Arsenal would have been a success under Emery. We can't know the answer to that question, so it's kind of a redundant talking point.

Look, I wouldn't deny that Arteta had some things fall his way. He came on board when the club had been given a bit of a reality check, which bought him time, there was a lot of frustration aimed at the players directly and the owners and board directly, which bought him more time, and stadiums were largely empty during the most difficult early days of his reign - that all helped.

Yeah, I fully agree that the club should have purchased a striker. It's seems nuts to me that Toney went off to Saudi for the money he eventually went for, but, who knows maybe he just wanted all that money and there was nothing that could be done. No other club came in for him either, so who knows what went on there. Omishen too - there's something odd about the fact that he's out in Turkey IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Really hoping for a win today, nothing I hate more than losing to Spurs! I know we're struggling with injuries so it'll be interesting to see how we line up.

It'll be a tough ask to get a win today but they're missing two starters so who knows.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Arsenal: 

Raya, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Timber, Jorginho, Partey, Havertz, Saka, Martinelli, Trossard.

Subs: 

Neto, Lewis-Skelly, Kiwior, Kacurri, Heaven, Nwaneri, Sterling, Kabia, Jesus.

What do we think of this?

• Advertisement

Jorginho & Partey will either work well or be seriously overloaded.

I'm looking on the positives today. Worse teams than we have out today won at Spurs. I would be a little worried about our bench though as there's only 3 names I recognise and then a load of young lads that this might not be the right cauldron to introduce them to.

Spurs named a very very attacking team with tremendous pace especially in midfield. We will need to dig in and try to hit them on the break I feel. Partey and Jorginho will have a lot of defending to do and hopefully won't make rash challenges. The last thing we need today is a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My only issue with that team is I feel like someone quicker up top would take advantage of their high line more than Trossard

Who's the referee today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Jarred Gillett, he also refereed the Wolves game.

Cheers. I was hoping it wasn't the ref who sent Rice off.

Here we go! COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

not confident today. Partey and Jorginho is not a very mobile duo. Bench looks so light as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

yeah bench is light. 50/50 game.

Two excellent saves from Raya so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

Raya has had to make a couple of good saves already. Need to settle this down quick.

Arteta needs to stop being a ball boy. The ref will pull him up on it imo.

Stupid yellow for Saliba to pick up. We've another fussy ref today lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Saliba on a yellow already. That was very stupid.

• Advertisement

That was a silly yellow for Saliba.

Spurs on top, not a surprise, given that Arsenal have a totally unfamiliar set up out there, but I sense latent panic in the Spurs defence that's there to be capitalised on.

great chance ffs

Martinell should have done better there

We're starting to grow into this game now.

Martinelli took the wrong option there.

Definitely looking better now.

Odogie booked now. Saka can go to town on him now.

Finally some consistency there from the referee with Udogie booked.

Ben White has become a liability.

• Advertisement

That was close. Solanke is proving a handful.

Some great defensive work being undone by sloppy attacking play.

Martinelli's lack of an end product is so frustrating.

I'm liking Timber grabbing the keeper by the scruff of his neck.

Dreadful decision to book Timber imo.

wasn’t even a yellow for Timber imo

How is Timber booked for that?

• Advertisement

Was he booked for the foul or for grabbing the keeper?

Don't think it was even a foul. Porro kicked his foot while kicking the ball

He had his foot on the ball and rolled it into the defender. Hardly even a foul.

You're not allowed grab someone by the collar either, tbf.

Trossard shouldn't be trying to beat men in there. Safety first always.

• Advertisement
Advertisement