Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

He was making a point about noise

It's going to be very funny when the cap is scrapped and the NIMBYs go mental.

My argument is scrap the cap, exactly what you have in your profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

This. I've come to this thread a few times over the last week seeing loads of new posts, expecting to find some new interesting posts about the airport and instead its just one very obviously trolling poster getting dozens of replies.

If the poster was arguing in good faith they'd have read the replies to the exact same argument thats happened multiple times in this thread already, and would be making new or relevant points. But they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

That's generally what happens when there is a build up of passengers. US officals don't have an endless supply of staff on standby…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Its the organization and communications I have an issue with.

We all accept that things happen and you can't just open more CBP gates but the lack of any planning by the DAA for eventualities like this is concerning.

No announcements, no proper q'ing system. Staff are doing their best walking the line and calling out flights but it looks like off the cuff management, not a coordinated plan.

I am a big believer in removing the cap but today's events make me wonder if the DAA can handle the extra numbers.

I don't think I have even had well organised system dealing with disruption either at an airport or anything unexpected.

The queing system is a bit messy but not sure pinning those in with cordens would really achieve anything.

Your last line makes no sense basing it on this type of event. Like saying the M50 can't cope with an accident so lets cap traffic.

No sense, how so?

If the DAA can't organize for something like this, how will they cope with 40m passengers in the same amount of space and with the same infrastructure (their infrastructure plans won't come on stream for many years).

Maybe they have a plan and if so great but the evidence of today does not isntill confidence.

Well firstly staffing would incease in line with higher passegner numbers. There will also be additional space when traffic is approching 40m.

Worth pointing out FCC refused the DAA premission to reconfigure USPC facility only 12 months ago and had these taking place the queing system would be more efficent on a day to day and times of disruption.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-plan-for-expanded-us-customs-facility-at-dublin-airport-grounded-by-fingal-county-council/a607380252.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Organising things to cope with a long-term increase in numbers is one thing. Doing an emergency piece of organisation to cope with a power cut is an entirely different matter. Almost no relation whatever.

I dosagree. Their generator failed when the grid failed. Not great DR planning.

Crowds are not unusual for airports so a crowd control plan should be something ready to go when needed.

In my business we cant use the 'one off' excuse.. Our clients pay us to be ready for all realistic eventualities and a power cut would easily fall into that category.

My concern is that they do not have a good plan for the extra numbers of the cap is lifted (which I hope it is). I hope I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

"The nature of the outage caused an issue with the airport's back-up generator"

It's amazing how easily PR departments can spin a few words.

In plain English, main power went out, back-up didn't kick in due to lack of maintenance and/or testing.

I once worked for a major broadband provider where the lights and computers in the office went out one afternoon, then there was an enormous *BANG* 💥 Turns out the diesel generator exploded as soon as the electrical load was dumped on it.

Anyway, back on topic, will the Metro power infrastructure plan feed into the airport too or are they likely to be kept independent?

It is what it's.

Sorry, but planning for an increase in numbers if/when the cap is lifted is something which is done over a time horizon of months or even years. I know DAA is not the greatest at infrastructure planning, but they have to cope a lot of planning and other obstacles.

Coping with a sudden emergency like to-day's is something which has to be done in a matter of minutes or hours - a totally different set of circumstances,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I believe we may have worked for the same one!

As I recall the batteries driving the servers lasted about 30 minutes, and about a minute after they gave out the mains came back 😀

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭moonshy2022

One of the best things to bring to a discussion is facts not “opinions”.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/cip-2020/submission-to-regulator.pdf?sfvrsn=845c46bd_2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

When was the last large scale power outage at Dublin airport?

Staff numbers would be planned to cover the days scheduled operations so producing staff in big numbers would be difficult especially in a situation where the situation is difficult to assess i.e. it could take hours or it could be sorted in less than that.

First thing they have to do after this is ensure the emergency generators are available if there is a major outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭sailing

It sounds like the power outage only affected T2. T1 must be on a different power line. The back up generators didn’t kick in as there was still power coming to the airport. It must be a case of a complete black out that they kick in and not area specific. Seems a very big oversight to me but I’m sure lessons will have been learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Apologies, got you mixed up with another poster but calling people morons is not a winning strategy imho.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are different types of power failure, it's possible that the voltage dropped sufficiently to cause problems but didn't cross the threshold for the generators to kick in. Whatever happened, it'll certainly be investigated and analysed and mitigated against. Nothing to do with the passenger cap that's for sure!

Anyway, back on topic, will the Metro power infrastructure plan feed into the airport too or are they likely to be kept independent?

The traction power will be independent of anything else, similar to DART or Luas. Power for station lighting, etc. will presumably be drawn from local medium voltage supplies.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

As I recall, Dublin's generators are in a large facility beside the church. I suspect the UPS (uninterupted power supply, i.e batteries) which are designed to hold up the servers etc for a few seconds until the generators kick in were the problem.

• Advertisement

Is the new blast fence at end of T2 permanent? I know taxiway T is opening this week, wondering is it only there while taxiway works on, it Completely blocks the view from lounge that they big up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭vswr

This…

A lot of "experts" going straight to the generator being the issue….

A generator takes time to spin up to load taking capacity (30 seconds to 1 min) …

You have a battery bank to take on immediate business critical systems and circuits…

Then the generator takes over…

So you usually have a failure of certain light systems etc… but PC's etc… stay on, then the lights come back on..

If it was a straight out power cut, there is an issue with the UPS systems or UPS switchgear (of which there should be an A and a B system, meaning Dublin either only have one, or both failed (I don't know which is the more disturbing scenario)).

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Phen2206

I'd be very surprised if its permanent, I think it will only be there to protect workers and equipment while that taxiway is being widened and I'd imagine it will be removed once works are complete in that area - as for how long that will take is anyone's guess. I don't really understand why that taxiway was reduced from dual to a single lane months ago if not around a year ago, but no construction commenced until now however the amount of congestion and delay it caused on the south apron with the one-in-one-out system in the mean time was significant. I hope the rest of the project goes more quickly!

I thought this was a discussion forum so opinions were allowed?

I feel we should expect higher standards from our major airport operator. Certainly the soundings from the people around me, mostly American, was they could not believe how disorganized it was.

Issues with crowds, whether due to a power outage, system outage or busy days, are not unexpected in an airport and a crowd control plan should have been ready to be deployed

If it was deployed it was not fit for purpose. Staff did their best but the whole thing gave a very poor picture of the country.

I'll leave it there.

I believe it's this week the taxiway will reopen so have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭davebuck

I think as the lights stayed out or at least from what I read on various reports the generators failed to start, I wonder was there a sync issue with the generators. Agreed the UPS should be A+B supply to the critical IT services but I wonder how long they can last without mains or generator power? are they purely to allow for the generators to start up and take the load as in a few minutes or depending on their capacity 30mins plus. These systems are very complicated and I wonder do the DAA do any black starts to test the UPS/Generators?

Regardless I'm sure there will be an internal enquiry in the DAA's engineering team for sure…

• Advertisement

In depth M&E maintenance is usually every 5 years (break into the system and test it piece by piece)….

But general checks and generator run is meant to be yearly, some high value locations may even be 3 or 6 monthly… that's on top of any proactive/reactive maintenance routines which should be in place.

Generator should be the last thing that goes, and any big install like Dublin airport should have at least 2 generators….

Most critical setups I've been involved with usually have 2 generators in the basement or separate support building at the bare minimum… 4/8 generator setups with different levels of redundancy depending if they all or only some fire up are not uncommon.

Generators are generally tested at least fortnightly in in ATC facilities in Europe.

If the UPS failed to perform, then the IT sytems for security, check in, US CBP etc would have gone through an unplanned hard reset. Each would have come back in different stages in different phases etc. These systems need to interact with their counterparts throughout the world. It is entirely possible that firewalls elsewhere "locked out" the systems in Dublin and each needed to be manually interacted with themselve to re-introduce the Dublin systems.

That's where my money is right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭dublin12367

ABP have issued their draft decision on the night flights this afternoon.

They have ruled in favour of a quota system between 2300-06:59 with a limit of 16,260 thus removing the 65 limit currently.

Strangely, they’ve placed an annual movement limit on the whole airport of 13,000 which would lead to a major reduction in night flights.

Both these conditions contradict each other I would think! It’s out for review until December so I would hope the 13,000 airport movement limit is removed or clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Qaanaaq

So after reading it directly the night time period will be defined as 2330 to 0600 compared to 2300-0700 currently

And average of 35 flights per day only in that period

it states the 13,000 figure in the draft decision also. If the 13,000 is the quota limit the airport should manage fine, but it specifically states the word movement which contradicts the whole point of condition 3.

It also states that 10L28R is only to be used for departures between 0600-0800, not sure if this means runway 10L can be used in easterly winds for the morning rush, or what is the full meaning of this?

the draft decision is leading to more questions than answers.

https://www.pleanala.ie/anbordpleanala/media/abp/cases/orders/314/d314485.pdf?r=195542751245

• Advertisement

Not sure how they manage fine with only 35 flights between 23.00 and 7.00 looking at tonight from 23.00 to 7.00 tomorrow 52 arrivals and 47 departures, what am I missing?

if it is a 13,000 movement limit the number of night flights would have to reduce dramatically.

If it is a 13,000 quota limit the airport would probably be fine if new quieter aircraft such as the max and neos are used during the night period. Some aircraft are excempt from being counted under the quota, the 737-800 is classed as 0.5 so I would imagine the max is less again. One aircraft movement doesn’t mean one quota allowance used. The older and noisier the aircraft, the more quota allowance it uses. Hope that explains it

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Thanks the following is on ABP

The airport shall be subject to an annual aircraft movement limit of 13,000 between the nighttime hours of 23.00 and 06.59 (inclusive, local time) with aircraft movements split between the Winter 3,900 and Summer 9,100 to allow for extra flights during the 92 day summer busy period.

So unless they are meaning 1 quota = 1 movement ? Any ideas

It certainly looks that way and that then contradicts the draft grant of permission and other conditions.

We really do an excellent job of making things more difficult than they need to be in this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭brianiac

interesting. I tried to check but am no lawyer. what part of the EASE regulations supercede what parts of Irish legislation?

European Commission Legislation supercedes National Legislation. In the same way ICAO is an arm of the UN, EASA is an arm of the European Commission. Some of the "complaints" from the NIMBYs and cranks are that the SIDS (Standard Instrument Departures) on the North Runway are in breach of planning laws/planning permission. They're not and even if they were they are in compliance with EASA.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭brianiac

ok. I appreciate why european legislation might supercede irish legislation - but is it about safety of operations of simultaneous mode operations for the 2 runways? Did the daa not submit planning in 2007 detailing flight paths which could still operate today under existing legislation if operated as they had detailed ie dependent mode operations instead of mixed/simultaneous modes of operations?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VeryOwl

Yes, reading the text of description it removes the nightly aircraft movement limit (of 65 /night) and replaces it with a quota of 16,260 under a new Noise Quota Scheme. Quota units relate to noise levels. The 737 max for example would only consume 0.25 quota points (on take-off).

Separately, a new condition is specified that "the airport shall be subject to an annual aircraft movement limit of 13,000" as well as restrictions on the North runway.

It's an insane draft decision. Combine that with the farcical cap and you almost get the impression we're trying to destroy the aviation industry in this country!

DAA's request was for an alternate mode (Mixed and segregated ops) in their 2007 application.

The granted permission (7b mode of ops) stipulated weighted ops during daytime (preference of certain runways for certain traffic for X% of total movements, along with the restrictive nightime single runway ops).

There was no specific restriction given on whether segregated ops was allowed only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Why does a local authority, have the right to decide aviation policy? The cap needs to go, it doesn't make sense to have one... say we get metrolink, the cap gets increased to 40,000,000 so those farce kicks off again in a few years... its so irish....

the daa have said once the 40m infrastructure application gets approved they intend to submit a further planning application to lift it again within 6 months of the 40m approved, as they have learnt from this 32m fiasco. Whether that happens or not will remain to be seen.

Not sure if they will or can submit the interim 35-37m no infrastructure built application in October or November as this was dependent on the decision from ABP regarding night hours going in their favour which it hasn’t. The final decision on that has been pushed out until next year.

@veryowl, you said: "Separately, a new condition is specified that "the airport shall be subject to an annual aircraft movement limit of 13,000" as well as restrictions on the North runway."

Surely some mistake here: 13,000 per year is just 36 per day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Couple things on that. First of all the times are different now. It's from 23:30 to 06:00. Quota will be higher in the summer months.

As far as I understand a typical plane like a 737-800 would be 0.5 of a quota and a Max would be even less. I'm open to correction on that though.

I'm not against a limitation of nighttime flights if it means the cap during the day is lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

so, while our lot are faffing over caps etc, the world moves on:

Emirates has extended its operations to South Africa, with the addition of a 4th daily flight on its popular Dubai to Johannesburg route.

The fourth flight will begin on March 1.

Taken from ittn

• Registered Users Posts: 20 StakeholderValue

With the Minister for Transport being the leader of the Green Party that is exactly what’s happening combined with political paralysis on the issue until after the general election is concluded.

He's not even the leader of the Green Party any more. He's basically a very lame duck, and wants to keep his Green reputation intact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eamon Ryan is not controlling either FCC or ABP, the obsession with him is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

He isn't, and as one of his chief haters I have a lot to say about him, but its not his problem really. That said, he should be a strong voice on the topic, which he isn't.

The trouble is, this isn't really anyones current responsibility, its just "the system as it is now". Theres got to be a way to intervene, but no-one seems to really be trying to find it.

• Advertisement

I like O'Leary's latest stunt of flying the Leinster Rugby team from Belfast instead of Dublin. That might wake some people up.

Advertisement