Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Good win that. ETH needed it as well. Needs to get wins on the board now

12:30 kickoff after an international break isn't too bad at all 🙌

Can sit back and enjoy the weekend now knowing Utd aren't going to mess it up 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah that's the one. It was the same podcast he spoke about his lack of concentration so he basically signed his own transfer form there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Jota Silva is like PES trying to do a likeness of Grealish back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dreadful result for Liverpool. And they played terribly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very poor from Liverpool, throughout, 4 out of 10 for the vast majority of the team at best, Salah in particular was truly awful/ . Forrest had the better chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

SLOUT !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Caustic

DCL in a nutshell, that was awful could have shot could have passed but just did nothing and got dispossessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Felt sorry for Harrison there. Only plays ball as there is a player behind him, who is actually offside, but then knocks it to the onside Watkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody hell Everton, another 2 goal lead thrown away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

WHAT. A. STRIKE.

Surely goal of the week/month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Duran has been some impact sub. Unbelievable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Chelsea, West Ham and apparently loads of others who made enquires should have stumped up the cash for the 20yr old villa wanted. Now instead of being for sale he has Ollie Watkins worried he is going to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

how did smith get booked for Bournemouth there?😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

whats the story with red's these days, or was that double jeopardy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Advertisement

Does the ref have a quota to meet,.lots of soft bookings I feel,.it's like he is in a bad mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

must be. Odd one, don’t think the keeper would normally be sent off in that scenario

He bottles the red card then what an awful ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

if it’s deemed a genuine attempt to play the ball then it’s only a yellow. I think Sanchez was very lucky there. As was Cucurella, if the referee was being consistent then he should have had a second yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Saliba booked for delaying restart. Of the games I've seen this weekend it looks like every delay/ ball kicked away has resulted in a booking.

Annoying ( players will hopefully learn)....but at least a bit of consistency finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gary Neville trying to oooh red cards into existence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Casemiro got sent off for grabbing a players collar. Timber doesn't get a yellow. Dalot gets two yellows in 3 seconds for a foul and his reaction to the foul. Timber puts in a shocking challenge then grabs at a player (who got a yellow for the same) and only gets a yellow.

Its bs he wasn't sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ref is destroying this match, yellow cards galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Gillett special, such a poor ref.

Ya it's very simple don't put your hands or feet on the ball when it's not your possession from a free or throw in honestly im glad to see it and something all fans should welcome all this cynical shite that's crept into the game needs stamping out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Timbers shocking challenge was putting his foot on the ball? Okay. The keeper kicked off the handbags, not Timber.

https://caulse.com/v/67472 sorry this is the 'shocking' challenge?

Bentancur the only player hard done by in that half, the last two were clear yellows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It wasn't a shocking challenge, he put his foot on the ball. Porro went into the tackle studs raised as well but came out on the wrong end of it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes etc etc…

Casemiro sent off for his foot going through the ball and hitting the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Jones did as well if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A free header in the 6 yard box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

4 points from 4 games for spurs who didn’t really lay a glove on an Arsenal team with a depleted midfield at home, not great from big Ange and co

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Was Solanke not playing?

Must have been hungover after his birthday yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Very Athletico Madrid type performance by Arsenal. No interest in playing football, but extremely strong defensively and rely on set pieces for goal threat. They’ll certainly put it up to City next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Straight forward win by a very depleted squad. 5 kids on the bench, 2 debutants and 1 making his first appearance of the season. On we march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yep, I was wrong. Unfortunate result if how he attempted to control the ball vs a player coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

That's the Arsenal way, innit. George Graham's side played more football 40 years ago

Are you more annoyed by the football or the fact that Arsenal won?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Arsenal are a brilliantly functional team.

Solid as a rock, with a system to boot. They don't concede easily, and score from set pieces if they can't beat you elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Not a fan of their style, but so what, who cares what I think. Arsenal fans never cared about style, and that tradition won't change, especially if the team are doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

No team's fans care about the style as long as that style wins games. Arsenal fans are not alone in that.

Yea, up to a point, but I was asked if I had a problem with Arsenal's football, and I said I'm not a fan of it. Their 4 centre backs is throwback to the late 80s style of Adams, Biuld, Keown, and Campbell, it's a blunt instrument, and not Easton the eye as a neutral. As mentioned above, they seem to be modeling themselves on Atleti, and seem to be pushing the boundaries with referees. The whole campaign around the Rice red card has a big part in was it Timber avoiding a red today for instance IMHO, refs seem afraid to call them out on their cynicism.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, it's not of any great importance, certainly Mikel won't care about the likes of me. If you're playing that way though, win at all costs, then you gotta win. At what point does second not become enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Second is fine up against that City team, and that Norwegian cheat code up front, but surely there has to be a trophy or a very deep CL run for Arsenal fans to not get impatient.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If your team are scoring over 90 goals in the league and winning over 30 games there is nothing to get impatient about.

Not sure how another FA cup or getting knocked out of the UCL (late on) changes much if they are hitting those numbers in the league again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Timber's challenge was never a red in a million years to be fair.

Also Arsenal have a long way to go before they match Atleti in terms of general defensiveness and shithousery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I did laugh at the big social media frenzy over the last couple of weeks from Arsenal fans on the Rice yellow card for kicking the ball away and their digging up of previous examples where other players didn't.

If I had to pick any team in the league now who waste the most time, Arsenal would be up there with Newcastle & Everton. If I had to pick a team who try to kill the game as much as possible, they would be up there at the top. If I was to pick a team who are pushing and dragging the opposition keeper at set pieces, Arsenal are at the top. These are things that referees are vocal on trying to clamp down on and the most obvious examples are all from Arsenal. All those little bitty kicks and nudges etc, kicking the ball away, delaying the restart whenever possible, defenders taking goal kicks, every trick in the book. They are fresh in the memory of referees.

As you said, they seem to model themselves on Atleti with some of their stuff. Maybe some of the style of play too. Arsenal have been the ultimate master of the dark arts for the last 2/3/4 years under Arteta but it's only now that they are not getting away with it as easily. Suck it up!

There are times to be stylish and times to just get the job done. The 3 points are what matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Adams Keown Bould and Campbell never started a game together. Each of those centre backs played with dedicated full backs. Winterburn, Dixon, cole, Lauren, Silvinho, to name just a few.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think the time wasting one is a bit overblown tbh, just picked a sample of games from the weekend there to see the length of time added on

Arsenal Spurs 96 mins

Liverpool Forest 96 mins

West Ham Fulham 97 mins

Crystal Palace Leicester 97 mins

I'm not saying Arsenal don't do it just that all teams are at it and that's clear by time added on in matches imo. If you can't beat em, join em and then beat em😁

Other points are fair, Arsenal do play on the edge and have used their physicality to their advantage a lot (which is why I bristled when someone posted in here a couple of weeks ago about them being "soft" - that image is long long gone!)

The Rice thing is separate and I never got the furore over it myself. You already walk a tightrope on a yellow so why make that very thing keeping you in the game even thinner by "delaying the restart" or whatever it was they claim he did. The only issue I have with the sending off is the lack of consistency as it's almost never cautioned. But consistency is a foreign concept to PGMOL so I realize that's too much to ask of them😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can also add that Sol Campbell did not play for Aesenal in the late 80s or even the 90s. Bould retired before he ever joined and he pretty replaced Adams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement