Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

You read [past tense] from the debate that Trump's distraction ploys worked to his benefit, with selected voting groups picking up on the signals he sent out, that even though it seemed more of the old odd things he comes out with which don't seem to be connected directly with the major things the majority have in their minds, that he is keeping those MAGA believers true to him and possibly getting others into his camp.

That this stopped Harris from tackling him on what he had not done, being distracted herself by his ploys, not seeing beyond them, standing at her rostrum smiling when he got going on how he saw the US and the aliens issue at the moment, is undeniable.

You're right about the lack of key election points Harris raised. I was minded to think that that was also a result of Trumps distraction ploys, letting her off the hook when he got the wind into his sails about Haitian aliens eating Springfields cat and dog pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

First big poll since the debate getting released today. If the Iowa poll is an indicator, and Harris has jumped the Dem numbers 14 points since June 17, Trump could be seeing a wipeout in the swing states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I also don't think that is something that can be easily brought into a debate with trump as it leaves you open to easy counters while trump doesn't have any of his own policies to attack (or concepts as he calls them now, which gives the outright win to Harris on the policy front).

It would be great to see them come back into the debate, but it's unlikely to happen until the far right loons are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

And Trump supporters have sought to kill Nancy Pelosi on at least two occasions. Once on Jan 6th (did rioters defecate in her office as well?) and then the break-in where they couldn't find her, so they cracked her husband on the head with a hammer instead.

And instead of dropping political disagreements for a moment in the wake of the second incident, Trump joked at a rally that Nancy was against walls, but that this attack wouldn't have happened if she'd had a bigger one herself.

And this article outlines that at least 40 percent of those involved in Jan 6th, and charged, were motivated by support of Trump or by Trump's lies about the election.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2022/7/26/trump-jan-6-hks-study/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,565 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ya know, I've been watching US politics for more years than I care to mention and it's always been a dog and pony show. A ludicrously expensive dog and pony show, but a dog and pony show nonetheless. But I never, in my wildest dreams, ever imagined that "eating pets" was going to be a talking point during a Presidential election cycle, and doubly so because one of those election candidates saw it on the tele.

Donald Trump is correct. The world is laughing. But it's laughing at that kind of nonsense Don. The kind of nonsense that, effortlessly, comes tumbling out of your mouth. If "eating our pets" is the kind of thing someone who's interested in the top job wants to get across to the public, you'd really have to wonder about the state of the body politic over there. Of course the short bus people, weirdos, racist, xenophobic, mentally deficient and other assorted unfortunates will happily lap that kind of simplistic gibberish up. But surely there are more rational minds on that side of the aisle in America who'll hear that type of unintelligible blather and consider it a moment to pause for thought on who it is that they're are contemplating giving that top job to?

• Advertisement

LOL, because every American has highly classified government documents knocking around their gaff.

🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭amandstu

"

Independent in the US just means that they have not officially registered as a member of the Democratic or GOP parties.

99.9% of voters in Ireland are "Independent" voters under the US definition as almost none of us are registered with any of the parties."

Why do they do it ? It seems bizarre.

Was there some initial reason in the far past and the practice has been maintained down the generations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Dingaan

Harris's social media account is misleading followers with deceptive edits and captions. Gutter tactics!

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/09/14/politics/fact-check-harris-campaign-social-media/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And imagine spreading lies like they're eating their pets, both offenses hardly equate

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The main function is to allow them vote in the Primary elections.

In most places you need to be registered Dem or GOP to cast a vote in the respective primary, but in some they are "open" primaries meaning any registered voters can vote.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

The naivety and lack of understanding in the Irish media's re the Trump situation is astounding.

Trump is a horrible person,he unhinged aswell,racist,sexist and a lot more.

It doesn't matter what he says no matter how outrageous or bonkers.

Lots of my American friends think he's a terrible person but he represents their views more than Harris so they will vote for him.They're not stupid or brainwashed as the Irish media would lead you to believe.

He aligns more with their political beliefs than the opposition candidate, it's as simple as that.

The cat memes etc on Facebook will not change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What political beliefs or is it he is a Republican and we only vote Republican. Some Democratic voters are the same.

A steel rod could run in an election with the tag of either party and will get a similar vote as another person running for that party.

What views do your friends share with trump's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

CNN? Fake news, CNN sucks remember. Stick to the psychological program.

Main issue is the economy, gas prices,inflation,cost of living.Rightly or wrongly these things are put at the feet of the administration in power.

Also a growing feeling that wokeness for want of a better word is over reaching and going too far.Immigration also an issue.

They feel (again rightly or wrongly) that they shouldn't be involved in foreign wars like Ukraine.

These things may be difficult to understand from an irish point of view but its not an Irish election.The lack of understanding in the Irish media about this fact is remarkable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trump is alot smarter than people give him credit for.

According to ABC News' TikTok page, in which Trump's and Harris' closing statements were uploaded three days ago, video of the former president's closing statement has 24.7 million views with 1.7 million likes as of Saturday afternoon. Meanwhile, a video of the vice president's closing statement has 4.7 million views with over 220,000 likes.

He is generally viewed as being better on the economy by voters, tougher on immigration, these are the 2 most important areas along with inflation which is linked to Economy.

Lower taxes, no tax on tips, no tax on overtime, less wars, harder on China, alot of people will vote for this.

Does it matter that Trump is an egomaniac know it all, with childlike manners, who knows.

All that matters to alot of people is will they be better off under a Trump presidency and it seems Trumps many personal failings can be overlooked by them.

"But Trump is a racist rapist fascist, how can anyone vote for him, blah blah.

Change the record, thats not going to dissuade voters at this stage, we have all heard it ad nauseum.

How bad is the other candidate when people think Trump is a better option that Harris is the quaetion these people need to ask themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if wokeness was a leading issue (lol) DeSantis would have ran away with the primary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I’d love to see a “policy” debate but it just won’t happen for obvious reasons - even a second debate is unlikely simply because Harris has the most to gain in my view so Trump won’t want to do that

Yeah, “policy” and very simple clear communication on what will Harris do is the only way to go now - that and actually meet the voters - I’m convinced that could be a game changer in this election - shake hands and press flesh - I appreciate the threat to life but desperate times and all of that

Youll note if you read my post that i didnt say wokeness is a leading issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Wokeness is an issue for people who would vote Trump whatever - everyone else not at all. That 33% make a hell of a lot of noise which gives the impression that these are big issues for everyone - they are not and if you look at voter surveys this is absolutely clear

If those are the issues, I would suggest your friends gather some impartial data from reputable sources on those issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Vance not only admitting the eating pets thing is false, but also saying that if he and Trump need to lie to justify their fear-mongering, they just will.

"Oh but Harris hasn't done an interview in the last 20 seconds so that's worse" - Get in the f*cking bin!

Frightened Trump will deselect him or worse if he doesn't spittle his boots enough? Or just in character?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Trump on taxes. First he started with "no tax on tips". Unfortunately Harris followed him on this, but hopefully with conditions to preclude it from be used as a massive tax avoidance by high-earning professionals.

But Trump now proposes "no tax on overtime". Can anyone explain how a candidate could come up with such a piece of nonsense? Why has this not been denounced for being such a totally bonkers idea?

Doesn’t matter what he says, it’s what American voters think that will matter - it’s a bizzare election I grant you - but I’m assuming like most elections media attention is critical - if Vance and Trump are preoccupying the media with their rubbish and falsehoods so be it - it’s Job Dine for them as they’re successfully denying Harris the opportunity to hog the spotlight to peddle whatever it is she wishes to peddle - I’m watching all of this as strategic moves that’s all - just an observer on the sidelines.

Trump has been excellent stirring up fear- that shouldn’t be interpreted as praising him by the way- I’m just stating fact- he’s also very good at hogging the media spotlight- Harris needs to up her game - she’s started very well but scripted speeches won’t cut it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its my prediction that the one issue which will decide the election will be abortion. At the moment he is alienating the anti-abortion lobby whilst failing to attract any pro-choice voters. This double cleave will be enough to sink his swing states margin by bringing out a significantly elevated women's vote. The fact that many states are holding down ballot referendums will guarantee that pro-choice voter will swing it. This will not appear in the polls till election day.

78 year old man running for President of a country with about 330m people.

It’s a very personal and secretive voting issue alright.-especially for young females in a very conservative family or town - extremely hard one to call.
    a lot of speculation on other equally “secretive” or hard to identify issues over the last few weeks too - here are the key ones I think including what you’ve mentioned:

1. The non-Trump voter - ie not turning up on the day or saying they’ll vote Trump to a journalist or poll taker then not doing so - armchair and social media support only
    2. Abortion - women especially voting to keep this “option” open to them but not openly discussing it (Republican voters )
    3. People influenced by fellow republicans calling for a Harris vote

On the flip side:

1. Harris being seen as “too liberal” for just left of centre voters
    2. “It’s the economy stupid” - a voter hates Trump but will vote for him anyway because the money in their pocket is just not enough - ideals are fine but “looking after number 1” takes precedence
    3. Just what are Harris “ policies anyway? Some say a red herring but if this can be verified as a key concern in swing states to overcome, it’s Harris”s problem and Harris”s alone to solve- no one else can do that
    4. “Yeah but how can we be sure there aren’t dog and cat eaters out there 🤪-fear in other words - whilst some might say only Trump supporters are taken in by this I completely disagree

That’s probably the main “theories” - as you say we’ll likely not see the full impact in the polls and will have to wait till election day to see just which issues are indeed the strongest in this election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes it is you can read his posts on that site without actually being a member of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I checked it on his Truth Social page. It is real. A sad ridiculous man-child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not a good idea on his behalf. Will not gain him any extra votes but will probably send a load more Kamala's way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Good few of his supporters already didn't like her before her endorsement, being a successful woman and all that.

Sure that they will be stating what exactly he meant and everyone else is wrong, or it is her fault soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This was Vance a few days ago on Taylor Swift.

We admire Taylor Swift’s music, but I don’t think most Americans, whether they like her music or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans.

Just change the name and you see just under half the voting population are influenced by celebrity billionaires.

We admire Donald Trumps celebrity persona, but I don’t think most Americans, whether they like his celebrity media persona or not, are going to be influenced by a billionaire celebrity who I think is fundamentally disconnected from the interests and the problems of most Americans.

Doesn't need to be true,a good idea or workable in any way.

It sounds good to a lot of people so it works.

Not a great situation for the US.

It does not matter what he says or does,there is no low bar for him,it doesn't exist

Trump is such a despicable human yet 50% of the people voting will vote for him because his views align more with theirs than the other candidate.

You could argue he doesn't even have any views that stand up to any actual scrutiny but that doesn't matter.

It's bordering on comical how Irish media cannot see this blatantly obvious fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

Well that was pure entertainment. How anyone thinks that buffoon can be the best candidate for running the world's most powerful country is absolutely staggering. He is well out of his depth, and his refusal for a second debate with Harris shows that Trump knows he did poorly.

I think this will be Trump's last chance, after this the Republican party should wise up and put forward a more sensible candidate.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sounds like someone was made aware of some internal polling.

The Tay Tay factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I hear she’s rehashing the same rote script when asked what she’d actually do to improve people’s lives with her “I grew up middle class……” non answer. It’s probably best she goes mute again and avoids all speaking to anyone.
    They were desperate to replace Biden (who’s an intellectual and political heavyweight compared to her) and she happened to be there. Absolutely no other reason Other than they were stuck with this hollow husk of a candidate. It’s a real shame they didn’t have a proper convention and put up a real candidate to replace Biden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

t’s a real shame they didn’t have a proper convention and put up a real candidate to replace Biden

Oh, she is a real candidate. And she seems to be rattling the fúck out of those Jimmies. 😁

https://eu.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2024/09/15/iowa-poll-donald-trump-iowa-lead-shrinks-as-kamala-harris-replaces-joe-biden/75180245007/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I thought the phase 'make America great again again' was a joke but the MAGA people are actually saying this with a straight face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

They are also going to vote for a convicted criminal, under the guise of a law and order candidate, with a straight face

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I’d say attacking Taylor swift is really gonna win over the youth vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The Swifties will be mobilised now if they weren't before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well he's screwed now, the Swifty's will have him cut up and fed to the fish by Tuesday

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The best part is going to be all the MAGAts running out to buy TS merch so they can pretend to be a former fan who is now crying and burning or throwing out their TS merch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement