Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Redliketoast

Pulled Out of future ones? When were they agreed? Kamala is the one who refused to do the other debates. He has refused to organise any more and I don't blame him after the ABC debacle.Sure why would he do another debate where the moderators are not impartial? Fwiw I think the refusal is a negotiation tactic more than a refusal. But chances are we won't see another. I think Harris might need it more than he does as of now.

As for Vance being a disaster. Maybe try watching more than democrat leaning sound bites. The guy is pure politics. Great politician. I don't agree with his policies he is very Christian republican. But he is a great speaker and comes across really well. A million times the candidate walz is. I think the debate between them will be really good.

Harris got no bounce from the dnc nor the debate. If anything projections are going Trump's way. It will be interesting to see if she gets a bounce after the swift tweets. But right now it doesn't seem so.

I think Trump wins this before the end of October. As in he will look out of reach by the third week of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Lol

"Anytime, anywhere" quickly changed after one debate with Harris.

He's a coward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Well bless your faith at least 😀

I like your glass half full stance - but I don’t think we as posters here can really understand what the hell is happening in America right now - and just how badly people are feeling

to most rational people in Ireland it’s an alien concept to vote for someone like Trump -and in the interests of balance, there’s probably quite a few who wouldn’t like their leader to be so far left either with Harris - hence we’ve had a generally middle of the road government with slight movements left and right - but that’s only because we’ve had relatively moderate politics overall to date- but even that is now changing Ireland and we’ve seen the impact on our streets, the violence and intimidation against immigrants , the agitators stirring violence at public protests etc etc

I’m wondering are we just 10 years behind America or 15 years behind- is all of this to come in some version down the road, on a lesser scale but still - we’ve seen things turn in other European states - we’re not immune here in Ireland .

Fear drives people towards perceived safety - as this campaign began the majority of Americans felt safer under Trump - scary times

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Again.... and all of my posts say this it doesn't matter if he wss dem or rep. He wss anti Trump. The anti trumpers are OK with wanting him dead and that is an issue.

I'm anti-Trump but don't want him dead! You are just sensationalising this to further your own viewpoint!

I'd also point out that the last assination attempt was by someone who was a Republican supporter.

As I keep saying. His political affiliation is not an issue. There are nut jobs on both sides. Thinking any different makes you that nut job. Statistically there can't nit be nut jobs on both sides. But the killing attempted murder needs to stop.

You don't want people politicising it yet your post does exactly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,804 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I am a Harris supporter, would possibly prefer Sanders, Warren, Klobuchar, Whitmer. But I try to always use a rational approach. If someone's good or poor, I'll say that. Saying Vance is way better than Walz, I would call out as spoofing, no credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I think this is the first time I've heard anyone speak that positively of Vance. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

As soon as you make a serious point, I'll reply to it.

Why should he do it when Harris refused the fox one?

I mean he was screwed over in the debate they had. So why would he trust Harris with a future debate?

I do think they might have one but if certainly won't be on Harris terms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Let me add to that. He has very nice skin. I wish my skin was like that.

So that's two nice things said about him(though I think the first one was bollox).

He screwed himself in that debate. He couldn't answer basic questions, even when asked about Ukraine, he refused to say that he wants them to win the war. The pet eating and raving about the size of his rallies, the lies about crime stats that all came from him. So he dug his own grave and blaming the moderators is reaching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I mean he was screwed over in the debate they had. So why would he trust Harris with a future debate?

How so?

Not sensational, it is saying that it is not dem v reps.

It's pro trump's v anti trump's.

You have dems backing Trump and reps backing Harris. So it can't be as simple as d v r.

The last assassin was also an actblue.

As I keep saying, my point is that both sides have nut jobs and that's all I am pointing out. I am saying it because in here there seems to be so many that keep saying "we are not the same".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Then it wouldn't be "anywhere, anytime" would it? The man's a chicken. A coward. There won't be another debate. His numbers have just marginally passed hers. Opening himself to being looked upon by the public would ruin his chances of a presidency. It's why he didn't debate in the prelims.

If he did, chances are, both these nominees wouldn't have been on the ticket.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

How exactly was he "screwed over" ?

Did the moderators make him talk about Immigrants eating pets?

Did the moderators make him say "I had nothing to do with January 6th" ?

Did the moderators make him lie about winning in 2020?

Did the moderators make him say "I have the concepts of a plan for Healthcare" after spending the last decade telling everyone that he'd fix it quickly and easily?

So again , How was he "screwed over" ?

Try watching JD Vance speak. He speaks on policy. He is a really good speaker. Walz on the other hand justvtries to motivate in his talks. He doesn't really speak on points.

There is more substance in Vance than Walz.

If you refuse to watch both sides of the coverage, you can't have a serious opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,804 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The correct question that should be asked is, how has somebody, who's clearly mentally unstable have access to such firearms?

I checked his vote blue donations, they were generally directed towards Tulsi Gabbard and Andrew Yang. It amounted to about 80 dollars. He equally wanted Nikki Haley as the presidential candidate.

But regardless, this guy actively thought he could invite Kim Jong Un over for a visit and believed in vaccine conspiracy theories. He's unwell and that's the reality. He also was a member of neither party.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This would be JD Vance who just said that he will lie and make up stories if he thinks it helps him?

That JD Vance?

The JD Vance who would not apologise for lying about a dead child for political gain when directly asked to do so by the Childs father.

That JD Vance ?

Not only that but a guy who was involved in a Barricade situation where he ran from Police after a traffic stop and it took them 3hrs+ to get him out of a building , where he was found with what the police describes as "Weapons of mass destruction".

Mental health or not , that guy should never have been allowed near a gun again.

That’s a fair summary of Trumps campaign- but taking it a step further, what does that say about nearly half the population of America?
    Trump is only saying what he feels his prospective voters want to hear- he doesn’t hold any of his stated beliefs in any strong regard and would drop them in a heartbeat if his followers changed theirs .

Trump is merely the personification of the feelings of millions of Americans - he uses fear and doubt as a method to keep them rooted to these beliefs - “cat eating” etc

People might feel better about themselves if they slate Trump - their conscience might feel better - personally I’ve never got the “outrage”- it’s clear millions of Americans are angry - lambasting Trump won’t solve that - I think even Harris knows it’s folly to go that route as she won’t be seeing as criticising Trump, she’ll be seen as criticising voters.

She needs to be very careful how she words her language over the coming weeks- strong positive statements yes- and when criticising Trump be careful that you don’t put down his voters at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

It might seem obvious but surviving assassination attempts doesn't just suddenly negate all the reasons why Trump shouldn't be president again. I hope swing voters aren't that naive.

David Debated with him about his claim he was being sarcastic. It's not the moderators (mod in a presidential debate. I have to point that out in case someone takes offence) job to debate the people ffs.

The mods allowed Harris to talk about project 2025 and national abortion bans despite Trump denying them both. No fact checks done though.

The mods asked Harris how she would fix the border. She answered by inviting people to go to Trump rallies and see how people leave early. She never answered the question and the mods didn't go back yo her on it.

She never answered questions in the debate but yhe mods didn't push her.

When he tried to evade questions, they pressed him.

David called trump out on the crime stats. Trunp pushed back and said the stats left out the major cities. David again pushed back and said they were the stats. But trump was right

The debate was won by Harris 100%. But it was very soft on Harris. She lied repeatedly and wss not fact checked he was fact checked even when he was right. To the degree that moderators debated him. That's not supposed to happen .

Yea Tulsi Gabbard when she was a democrat.

Again the only point is that both sides have nut jobs. Do you think they don't? If you agree they do, then we are not in disagreement.

He comes across as someone who is center just like most people. But he leans left again like most people.

Standard playbook for standard times.

It needs something more radical now- a massive peace march - millions of people across the nation walking for peace - (yes yes I know probably an impossibility) - but a happy clappy pop concert ain’t gonna have any impact

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

funny enough that was my first thought when i heard this…my second was its a disgruntled Haitian from springfield thats mad because vonshitzinpants put the spotlight on his eating habits….completely off the wall thoughts i know but it does make a person wonder…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

So you really want to compare JD and Walz when it comes to lying for political gain?

Watch JDs recent interview at the border. Watch his number of press conferences and interviews that he does. Compare them to the more joy speeches that Walz gives. In terms of substance there is only one real winner. Walz is the one who tries the disgusting attacks on Vance btw. He is the one promoting the weird couch lover stuff. Yet it's JD who is the bully. Walz is a liar and has been caught lying on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I assume you quoted me by mistake. I've no earthly clue how someone could claim he was screwed over in the debate.

If you ignore all his other rubbish, and just focused on two things that he said in response to a question, and the questions were not leading questions either, he said abortions were happening up to the 9th month and after delivery and he said Immigrants were eating the cats and dogs.

He made both of these statements with no hint of sarcasm or irony, he was stating them as fact. If they were the only untruths he told, then he deserves being ridiculed in the mainstream media because they are daft.

He was interrupted by the hosts twice because they have a duty to the public that blatant lies not be said on their air, so they said that abortions do not happen after delivery, and that there are no credible reports of pet-eating in Ohio. If that constitutes collusion or even screwing him over then he needs to quit politics because he is not cut out for the big leagues.

I think Harris' best chance is the young vote. If she can get out there and fill her rallies with youth, she can get them out to vote. If I were her I'd be showing up at every event that has young people. Get on love island or something 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Advertisement