Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Mobile, coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 EryykTV

Not necessarily an issue with a partial or failed port. GoMo had the same issue when they launched. They claim it's an issue with the "national database". Not sure if this is true or not.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/gomo-customers-facing-issues-verification-texts-955828

Hopefully this is resolved before your 14 day cooling off period, imagine they don't fix this for your number and you are stuck in a 12 month contract and don't have the ability to receive verification texts.

I'm still waiting for my SIM card to arrive, my Vodafone PAYG plan expired today, postman came and nothing yet. If it doesn't arrive by tomorrow I will probably just stick with Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

This issue has concerned me a for a while, it's sort of putting me off the idea of porting a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

• Advertisement

I ordered on Thursday, so should be 3 working days tomorrow.

It's a great offer and all but the fact you are locked into a 12 month contract on a network that still has issues is really throwing me off here. The network was meant to launch last year and was delayed, should have been delayed again in my opinion, it really feels like they didn't do any testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Decided to give it a go on Saturday evening and ordered an eSIM. Got the QR code and was set up pretty quickly. I’m a current Sky customer so had a Sky account and billing details set up already.

Coverage seems better than 48/3 for me from my limited testing locally in a 10km radius. Seemed to have coverage on some of the backroads were there’s black spots for 3. Obviously location dependent.

Started the port this morning and it was done in 2/3 minutes. Never seen a port go through so quickly. iMessage activation took a bit of messing around with, but I always have that problem regardless of network, but it’s all set up now after a few attempts. So far happy enough and hopefully it continues hassle free and I don’t regret giving up my €8 48 plan.

Let us know how you get on after a couple days, especially with the verification texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Someone on here mentioned Sky having free unlimited calls to Europe, is this true

Unreal offer if so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Can someone please confirm if 5G from Sky Mobile works on Pixel phones? For context, it does not e.g. on 48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I ordered the sim only online on Wednesday night. Still haven’t received the sim today so I gave Sky a call. They said it would take 5 working days to arrive which they said would be tomorrow. I’m suspicious that the sim was never dispatched and they sent it today. An Post would always have post here the next working day so it’s very unusual to take 5 working days to arrive. I’d certainly be giving them a call if the sim doesn’t arrive within a couple of days of ordering. Might be an issue with the online ordering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Does anyone know if one of these Sims would work in a Vodafone locked 4G router please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 tessy1995

this is sorted now for my number. They ported this morning thankfully. Everything seems fine for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm wondering the same thing. Some folks here have said the MNC is the same as Vodafone's, 01, while others have said it's 25. If it's the latter, I wouldn't count on it working right now at least. 48 is in the same boat, as it uses an MNC of 11, like Tesco Mobile under Liffey Telecom, rather than a 3 MNC. The only MNCs on the Pixel phones' PLMNs are Vodafone's, Eir's (GoMo included as it uses Eir's MNC), and Three's. The other providers (MVMOs) are not in the PLMN for 5G at this time and I don't know if this a lack of effort on the operators' parts to request this or Google making it difficult. It's a dumb thing to implement on their phones anyway; why not just let 5G-capable operators work across the board like on most devices?

See my earlier post on the matter for more detail:
    https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/122602713/#Comment_122602713

I ordered in a Sky store on Thursday evening and am still awaiting my SIM. There was nothing there this morning before I left for work, possibly before the mail was delivered, so I will check again when I get home later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭beachhead

Original start date was in 2022.Obviously didn't try hard enough then to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Spell check wasn’t used either by the looks of it. Unlimted

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 dos08

Does anyone know if there is tracking on the SIM cards when being delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Yes got two emails. One confirmation of my order and second email confirming dispatch. The email confirming dispatch was sent at the same time as first one. I suspect the sim was never dispatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I’m still having doubts about switching over, I’m still waiting on my SIM to arrive , if I decide not to activate the SIM am I still considered in contract and have to pay the €15 per month ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭kilsmum

I'm on the 3 prepay hero plan €15 every 28 days. Unlimited data in Ireland, 10,000 minutes calls, 3000 texts, 14gb roaming data.

I was thinking of switching to Sky for better coverage because it's on the Vodafone network. I'm just not sure about the 12 month contract. We have our broadband and tv with Sky and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Pity they don't have a deal for existing broadband/tv customers. I assume there will be a time limit on the €15 introductory offer too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Signed up last night for esim - became available to activate around 11ish this morning, took 5 mins and number instantly transferred - no issues yet except

Got around 500 down at work, at home now and got less than 4mb/1mb - hmm (Dublin city ctr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭JMcL

Regarding speeds, I used Vodafone 4g in a router for about a year until fibre was available as the DSL "service" we were getting was atrocious. The 4g speeds were all over the place - at 7am I was able to get up to 80 down, but usually around 30ish during the day which was grand as I needed it for work. Evenings it could drop as low as 2. This was the backend of lockdowns so the local pubs weren't that busy and it was rare that it became a serious issue, but it's all related to how many people are on a given cell at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is the option for an eSim gone off the site? I can't see it

Yup, seems to be gone again… clearly their technical backend is great and has no issues whatsoever! :D

From what I understood, your contract only starts when you activate the SIM card and you have 31 days to activate it. However you are probably better off calling Sky and telling them you would like to use your 14 day cooling off period and cancel the service.

I suspect the same issue with mine, if they can't even deliver a SIM card then bloody hell this launch is terrible.

• Advertisement

There should be, however their amazing technical backend shows "Delivered" the same day it's dispatched…

Advertisement