Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does the Catholic Church still have control over some schools in Ireland? It's time this changed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A systemic cover-up by individuals within the organisation, is exactly what it is.

Guilt by association was never going to be a good strategy to begin with, and posters pointing out that another poster should ‘hang their heads in shame’, and ‘get lost’, when they’re pointing out the role played by the State and its organs in perpetuating physical, sexual and psychological abuse of children and vulnerable adults, is doing exactly the same thing as was done to anyone who didn’t go along with it then too.

While Enda was giving an apology on behalf of the State for the State’s role in the Magdalen Laundries, the State was actively trying to deny Louise O’ Keefe justice, and attempting to absolve the State of any responsibility for the protection of children in the State.

https://www.newstalk.com/the-pat-kenny-show/eu-court-to-rule-if-irish-woman-can-sue-the-state-for-abuse-709889

https://www.newstalk.com/news/the-state-will-fight-you-tooth-and-nail-abuse-survivor-louise-okeeffe-questions-school-redress-scheme-1764091

There’s no question that other States also colluded with the Church in other countries too, they absolutely did, but this discussion is related to the Church in Irish schools, in Ireland, where Louise O’ Keefe’s abuser moved from one school to another of his own volition, and carried on as before:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30788953.html

Utter scumbag:

On the question of remembering the complainant, Leo Hickey said, “If he was very troublesome or backward or very clever I might remember him but it seems he was very much average so I have no recollection of him.”

I get anyone rightfully having a beef with the church, that’s completely understandable, but let’s not, as Frank suggests - delude ourselves and think that not only can we rewrite history, we can rewrite Irish Law too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I’m with you, OEJ is just on a wind up, as they always do in threads. Walls of text, little knowledge, strong opinions and no facts.

Project any harder and you’ll be able to open your own IMAX.

I’ve provided you with facts which directly refute your opinions, and the only reason I can do that is because these are events which are recorded in history. That you don’t wish to acknowledge these events as fact is entirely your own business. It doesn’t and won’t change the fact that these are events that happened, and the State is ultimately responsible for not doing anything to prevent them from happening again, and again, and again.

“It doesn’t and won’t change the fact that these are events that happened, and the State is ultimately responsible for not doing anything to prevent them from happening again, and again, and again.”

You’ve just admitted that the RCC was responsible for committing the acts. Thank you, well done.

You’ve just admitted that the RCC was responsible for committing the acts. Thank you, well done.

I didn’t expect you to admit you were wrong, I don’t even want an apology, and I sure as hell don’t care for an acknowledgement that you were wrong, but that effort? Jesus Christ 🙄

I should hope everyone can see what I’m doing (I want people to see it, it’s why I’m posting in public, on a public forum) as I’m focused on the question in the thread title - why does the Catholic Church still have control over some schools in Ireland?

I’d have pointed out the Catholic Church has control over most schools in Ireland, because it owns them, but that seemed nit picky when the argument was that it’s time that changed. I’d also have said it was long overdue for being changed (again, nitpicking and really neither here nor there), but if the strongest argument for change is that the Church as a whole is responsible for the behaviour of individuals within it who committed sexual offences and abused children with impunity so the State should take the schools from them… well Frank that’s just stupid, on three counts:

1. The State is ultimately responsible for the protection of children in the first place anyway, preventing children from being exposed to physical, psychological and sexual abuse
    2. Removing property from the ownership of the Church isn’t necessary, the State could spend the same money on the establishment of new schools rather than fill the Bishops coffers (and God knows they don’t need the money!).
    3. It still wouldn’t prevent abusers from abusing children and it being covered up by their colleagues, friends and indeed family:

A teacher who raped and sexually abused his younger brother when they were children has been jailed for eight and a half years.

Mr Daly said he had kept the abuse a secret for 18 years and it was “such a relief to share the burden”. His father accompanied him when he went to gardaí early in 2016.

However, he said it soon emerged that his parents were only prepared to support him if he kept the abuse “among ourselves”. “Why should I stay silent?” he said, adding: “I was happy for everyone to know,” but said this proved “detrimental” to his family life.

“(My parents) blamed me, took the side of my brother and I was forced out of the family home.”

Mr Daly said he used to have sympathy for his parents, but not any more. “I was telling the truth and I have proved it,” he said. “It's easier for them to believe that I'm a liar than believe their oldest son is a paedophile rapist.”

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/tipperary-teacher-jailed-for-rape-of-younger-brother-as-a-child-1247771.html

You can choose to believe whatever you want, I really don’t care. But when you’re posting nonsense about other people, then you should expect to be challenged, without you getting all pompous and snotty about that.

That’s not an argument against the facts Frank. Your claims were ridiculous, and easily proven to be incorrect:

A State could not absolve itself from its obligations to minors in primary schools by delegating those duties to private bodies or individuals.

Your argument against the involvement of the Catholic Church in education in Ireland is based solely upon nothing more than your own opinions of the Catholic Church. That’s all they are - opinions, not to be confused with facts.

Given that your opinions haven’t managed to change the status quo in Ireland in decades, even though the behaviour of individuals within the Catholic Church was known about by the State going back decades before that, I’d suggest your efforts to use the abuse of children as a vehicle for your bigotry was the clearest indication yet that the majority of people in this country don’t make the same associations as you do based on nothing more than your own personal beliefs about other people.

You hardly expected on a public forum that there wouldn’t be people who would object to your attempts to associate them with other people who committed criminal offences and that they too are guilty by association on the basis of characteristics they share in common with people who commit criminal offences, did you? That kind of ‘guilt by association’ is what led to this kind of stupidity:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nora_Wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As usual, the idea is to flood the thread with enough verbose BS to make all other posters just give up

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Classic case of the confident moron. They bring up edge cases thinking that it undermines pretty much everyones position, not only that but they double down even when they are flat out wrong. There are numerous threads that showcase this.

Poster warned and one day forum ban applied

Post edited by Beasty on

You’re hardly in any position to make that claim given your own contributions form a far more significant makeup of this particular thread than my own. I bailed out earlier when it became apparent that this wasn’t actually going to be a thread which bears the hallmarks of any attachment to reality:

Classic case of the confident moron.

I wouldn’t refer to you in those terms at all Frank, certainly firing off abuse at anyone who presents you with the facts is not the hallmark of a confident individual, whatever else can be said about them. O’ Keefe v Ireland isn’t an edge case, it is the case, which established that ultimately it was the States responsibility to prevent the sexual abuse of minors in schools.

Start there, if you want to talk about preventing adults from physically, emotionally and sexually abusing children in schools, because that requires politicians to enact legislation, or change existing legislation. Otherwise, it’s just another rabble rousing thread which isn’t actually intended to achieve anything - it’s just a rabble rousing session. Nothing to see here, parents go on about your business.

It's only verbose if you're not reading it and understanding the points being made but carry on.

I think the correct term is laconic. I mean if you don't want to address the points being made fair enough but it doesn't negate them or make them any less relevant. It's a kind of hilarious tactic to shut down debate by attempting to discredit the other poster and personally attacking them. Real schoolyard stuff.

Save it. We have a poster who is actively denying and shifting the blame from the RCC to governments, they also claimed that no priest was moved by the organisation to protect them.

The crimes of the RCC are very well documented. There have been independent reports conducted in Australia, Ireland and the U.S. Ireland has some of the most extensive investigations that revelled systematic abuse in church-run instutusitons like industrial schools and laundries. There is also the Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report that showed over 300 priests were accused of abusing 1,000's of children over decades.

Then we have the systemic cover ups from dioceses up to the Vatican itself. This involved the moving for priest to different parishes, they were not reported to the police. Bishops also failed to report these crimes in order to protect the reputation of the church.

These crimes were committed by priests, bishops and members of the church. The attempted cover ups were, again, done by the church. Not by a government.

So when a poster actively tries to deny these events or shift blame to any government org, they are being decidedly misleading and ignoring the facts at hand. Those who try to not blame the church just show their ignorance by saying there were failure to protect children, but again, the RCC committed these crimes. This is a fact.

This poster actively posts long, drawn out posts in order to avoid addressing the core issues, or just doubles down on their stance. It is a tired way of posting, this is another example of that. If there is any schoolyard stuff going on, it is from one poster, and one poster only.

No one is attempting to absolve the RCC of any of its crimes but the reality is that the state does bear some responsibility. Again, notwithstanding the depth and breadth of the crimes that were carried out by members of the religious orders, historical cases of abuse do not stop at the churches door.

The thrust of Jacks argument is not that the church is some sacred cow and shouldn't be held in comparison to crimes of similar nature carried out elsewhere, nor is it an attempt to alleviate their responsibility to their victims but that as has been pointed out in other threads, there are so many victims of child abuse across multiple sectors of our society, including those in the care of the state (Tusla), the victims of numerous sports coaches (Keneally, Gibson et al), lay teachers (Tom Meehan and Leo Hickey) and the most recent case of the physician Michael Shine whose victims are now calling for a public inquiry.

The reason why all these cases are in the news and are relevant is primarily due to the nature of collusion involved which includes politicians, gardai, members of the church and the HSE/Health boards at that time and if you believe that the church is the only organisation that facilitates pedophiles then you need to understand how demeaning it is to all those who have also suffered abuse and which was methodically covered up in much the same way.

If we are ever going to get to the point where children are safe from predators and the harbouring of them, then we really need to examine the bones of the these cases because thinking that by eliminating the church from our society we will all somehow make everything better is not going to fly.

It's understandable that people want to vent their feelings about the church and I don't decry that.

• Advertisement

No one is attempting to absolve the RCC of any of its crimes but the reality is that the state does bear some responsibility. Again, notwithstanding the depth and breadth of the crimes that were carried out by members of the religious orders, historical cases of abuse do not stop at the churches door.

There is a poster in here actively trying to shift blame to governments. There can be some responsibility put to them, but the majority of the weight lies on those who committed the crimes, and firmly at that. You are implying something a bit off with your last sentence, that is a red herring.

The thrust of Jacks argument is not that the church is some sacred cow and shouldn't be held in comparison to crimes of similar nature carried out elsewhere, nor is it an attempt to alleviate their responsibility to their victims but that as has been pointed out in other threads, there are so many victims of child abuse across multiple sectors of our society, including those in the care of the state (Tusla), the victims of numerous sports coaches (Keneally, Gibson et al), lay teachers (Tom Meehan and Leo Hickey) and the most recent case of the physician Michael Shine whose victims are now calling for a public inquiry.

We are in a thread about the Catholic Church. Other abuses in sports or professional settings don't have any bearing when we are talking about systematic abuse by the RCC and its members. Bringing in other topics is just a bit of whataboutery, it is trying to shift the goalposts.

The reason why all these cases are in the news and are relevant is primarily due to the nature of collusion involved which includes politicians, gardai, members of the church and the HSE/Health boards at that time and if you believe that the church is the only organisation that facilitates pedophiles then you need to understand how demeaning it is to all those who have also suffered abuse and which was methodically covered up in much the same way.

This is another red herring. The reason and common denominator in all of this is the church, it is that simple. You are aware that when these crimes were brought to bishops, they never reported them. So how were politicians etc to know about this? The cover up by the church hid this for years, Cardinal Bernard Law, Archbishop John Neinstedt, Cardinal Roger Mahony, Cardinal George Pell, all high ranking members of the church that were implicated in protecting the church by moving priests. Even the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in the Vatican were responsible for handling the cases. This was systematic.

If we are ever going to get to the point where children are safe from predators and the harbouring of them, then we really need to examine the bones of the these cases because thinking that by eliminating the church from our society we will all somehow make everything better is not going to fly.

What kind of argument is this? You are trying to give a pass to the RCC by saying that if it wasn't them, it would be someone else? You might want to reevaluate your stance on this, that is pretty grotesque.

It's understandable that people want to vent their feelings about the church and I don't decry that.

Yet, you have spent most of your post using red herrings and whataboutery to do exactly that.

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand what the RCC did, and why do they feel the need to try and shift the blame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So, I'm pointing out that the church is guilty of crimes while also highlighting these other crimes in the same order of merit and that means I'm deflecting, right.

This thread is about the rcc and when the same issues were discussed in the other thread, which you actually brought up in your case against the other poster, it was similarly shut down despite the fact that several of the cases which were referred to were included in the scoping report. (those involving lay teachers)

Keneally's crimes were covered up by the state, aided and abetted by the gardai at the behest of a family deeply submerged in local politics and whose uncle was the local monsignor. People did know about their victims but in most cases the gardai had their hands tied. Tom Meehan was never prosecuted despite one if his victims being awarded compensation in a civil case. The DPP decided not to proceed with a criminal case against him despite the evidence.

These cases are relevant. I've read some of the individual reports where people did tell their parents about the abuse in schools but they were not believed, because like Michael Shine, priests like doctors were above reproach.

Nobody is shifting the blame from the church, no one is absolving them of their responsibility but as someone who has spent time working in the sector I'm guessing Jacks approach is one with lived experience and driven by a need for change.

So, I'm pointing out that the church is guilty of crimes while also highlighting these other crimes in the same order of merit and that means I'm deflecting, right.

Correct, if you are bringing in other orgs sports etc, you are actively trying to deflect from the crimes that the RCC have committed, it is a false equivilancy.

This thread is about the rcc and when the same issues were discussed in the other thread, which you actually brought up in your case against the other poster, it was similarly shut down despite the fact that several of the cases which were referred to were included in the scoping report. (those involving lay teachers)

The other posters actively tried to deflect from what the RCC have done, they also claimed that "no one was moved around" which is categorically false.

Keneally's crimes were covered up by the state, aided and abetted by the gardai at the behest of a family deeply submerged in local politics and whose uncle was the local monsignor. People did know about their victims but in most cases the gardai had their hands tied. Tom Meehan was never prosecuted despite one if his victims being awarded compensation in a civil case. The DPP decided not to proceed with a criminal case against him despite the evidence.

Who is Keneally? The only person by that name I am familiar with is Thomas Keneally, who was Australian and wrote books about the child abuse scandals at the hands of the RCC.

These cases are relevant. I've read some of the individual reports where people did tell their parents about the abuse in schools but they were not believed, because like Michael Shine, priests like doctors were above reproach. 

This is a drop in the ocean of cases that were covered up. I do not deny it happened, but I will ask did the parents go the authorities or not? You are touching on an important point that priests were seen as above reproach, this is part of the overall problem here. They are members of society and under the same rules of law as other citizens.

Nobody is shifting the blame from the church, no one is absolving them of their responsibility but as someone who has spent time working in the sector I'm guessing Jacks approach is one with lived experience and driven by a need for change.

If you say "Nobody is shifting the blame from the church, no one is absolving them of their responsibility" and follow that up with a "but…", you are doing exactly that. Who cares about someones lived experience, tell that to the victims of these horrific acts and crimes.

This is a lived experience. Would you say the same thing to this man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's relevant to question to competence of the State because it is being suggested as the only appropriate authority to manage and determine the ethos of all schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I went to Catholic school myself and got a very good education as did my children and my grandchildren will go there too . Yes there were a small amount bad catholic priests but there was plenty of good ones too who we never hear anything about .

• Advertisement

We know what happens when the church run it, so I think we can scratch that off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭csirl

The fact that the State has very poor oversight of child protection in schools should not be used to shift blame from child abusers. They are fully responsible for their own horrific deeds regardless.

Keneally sounds like an awful person.

It is also investigating the knowledge of Monsignor John Shine, or other members of the catholic clergy and any political or public figures as well as any contact between gardaí in Waterford and the monsignor or between Waterford gardaí and political figures or public officials about the abuse.

It also reads, that the Monsignor had a role in this, so again the RCC played a role in hiding these, along with members of the Gardai. So you original statement that they were hidden by the state are misleading, they were hidden by the bishop and members of the Gardai, not the state.

Tom Meehan was a lay teacher in a school included in the scoping report https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/it-never-leaves-you-14-men-come-forward-with-sexual-abuse-allegations-against-former-teacher-in-waterford-city/42411437.html

But does not negate the preceding sentence. 

I think we can agree that these acts are vile, and should have been met with punishment and proper investigation.

Waterpark College was founded by the Christian Brothers in 1892. It now operates under the trusteeship of the Edmund Rice Schools Trust.

To get back to the topic, one of the values of the ERST is a commitment to living out Christian Values. It would appear that those who are to teach these, do not even follow them themselves.

I literally posted these to help you make that connection.

It also reads, that the Monsignor had a role in this, so again the RCC played a role in hiding these, along with members of the Gardai. So you original statement that they were hidden by the state are misleading, they were hidden by the bishop and members of the Gardai, not the state.

There were a lot of people involved, including local government representatives. Keneally laughed while informing a state inquiry that he was offered a seat on Waterford City Council in the early-1990s. Five years previously he had been questioned by gardaí over complaints of child abuse.

• Advertisement

Nobody is suggesting that. ET and similar bodies are not going to be forced out of schools.

BTW you never did provide the evidence you claimed to have that ET are not interested in establishing schools outside of middle class areas.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Those that covered up for them, moved them around, etc are just as responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The answer to the question posed in the thread title would seems to be that the majority are happy enough with the status quo. They may not love it, but it's not worth getting wound up about. And so it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Why do our schools need an ethos decided by religious groups?

Why is there any need to bring it into our schools? We don’t bring it into any other facet of our lives. We also don’t bring it into our third level universities and colleges because that would be just mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Emblematic

There might still be a bit of it in teacher training colleges.

Thanks for making that connection.

There were a lot of people involved, including local government representatives. Keneally laughed while informing a state inquiry that he was offered a seat on Waterford City Council in the early-1990s. Five years previously he had been questioned by gardaí over complaints of child abuse.

Again though, you really are trying to loop in other parties here as a bit of a deflection from the topic of this thread. Why exactly are you doing this?

He’s doing this because he’d like the church to remain in control of the schools even though they’re a gang of child rapists.

Anyone who supports the church. Baptisms, communions, confirmations etc is a supporter of the rapists

Yep, Mary the head of the diversity and inclusion committee in the office, who organises the rainbow flags for pride, and harps on about gender pay gap etc, 2 weeks after proudly bringing her daughter to confirmunion with an organisation that is openly homophobic and misogynistic in 2024.

• Advertisement

They need an ethos.

Doesn't matter if its religious, atheist, humanist, vegan ... whatever.

Without an ethos there is no agreement about what moral framework guides decision making.

That's why the Irish state insists all schools have a patron.

Is the weirdness because she's Catholic, or because Irish people have a massive capacity for living with cognitive dissonance?

You want evidence of that - Well how come Bons Secours is the brand of a very popular chain of private hospitals? In any other country the very name would be toxic.

What ethos do state funded schools in France and USA have?

Why can't we just use the "community national school" ethos:

Currently 89 per cent of Ireland’s 3,116 primaries are under the patronage of the church. The church has a say on the board of management in these schools, and on things such as principal selection. Fewer than 160 are multi-denominational, and just 32 are community national schools, the new model for a State-run, coeducational and multidenominational primaries.

Can I afford to let religious ethos be a factor in choosing a school for my child?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/09/16/can-i-afford-to-let-religious-ethos-be-a-factor-in-choosing-a-school-for-my-child/

Again though, you really are trying to loop in other parties here as a bit of a deflection from the topic of this thread. Why exactly are you doing this?

Because it’s not a deflection. It relates directly to the topic of children who were subjected to sexual, physical and psychological abuse in National Schools. It’s important that you realise that the State is responsible for all children, and is still responsible for children in National Schools, regardless of the ethos of the school, or whomever owns the properties and the land on which the school is built.

It was the State which introduced the rules for Recognised National Schools to receive public funding in 1965. At the time, the State was aware of the ongoing abuse and torture of children in national schools, and still did nothing in the rules to prevent it, still deciding that it wouldn’t be relevant as to whether or not a national school would receive public funding. The Department of Education, on behalf of the State, came up with those rules.

The ethos of National Schools are irrelevant, the fact that they are owned and managed and controlled by the Catholic Church is also irrelevant. Changing ownership did not, and does not change the fact that child abusers would exist regardless, whether they are members of the clergy, members of a religious organisation, or non-religious, in positions of authority in National Schools.

Your thinking that attempting to remove religious education from religious education providers would do anything whatsoever to prevent people who are of a mind to abuse children from doing so, is just dumb. Not only do you have no idea of the legalities involved, or the costs involved, but fundamentally you are sorely mistaken in thinking that agents of the State are going to even entertain pursuing criminal prosecutions against anyone solely on the basis that they are members of the Catholic Church and are thereby presumed guilty by association of criminal acts committed by individuals. That’s just not the way the Irish Criminal Justice System operates. It operates on the basis of innocent until proven guilty. It’s a fundamental right in Irish law - everyone has the right to their good name (Article 40).

You’re not even at the starting blocks, never mind the point where you’re within a country mile of achieving what you’re calling for, in Ireland.

Your thinking that attempting to remove religious education from religious education providers would do anything whatsoever to prevent people who are of a mind to abuse children from doing so, is just dumb.

This is a complete strawman of your invention. All possible efforts should be made to prevent abuse obviously, but that's not the reason religious patronage should be removed. It should be removed because our education system places a grossly excessive emphasis on religion, and does not respect the rights of non-catholic pupils, parents and teachers.

The individuals who abuse children are responsible for their own horrific deeds: no Catholic or Church-of-Ireland doctrine EVER said to abuse children.

But equally, the systems that covered up their behaviour, and enabled them to continue by shifting them around are to blame. This includes the church AND the state, gardai, lawyers, council officials, etc.

The intersection of Catholicism and Irish culture gave a particularly ugly result: thankfully increasing plurality in society is mitigating against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

the RCC put the reputation of their organisation above the safety and welfare of their victims. Other churches too.

Was that in the past? Does the Protect the institution mindset still exist? Maybe to a certain extent.

I would see that as a good enough reason to query their role in schools but if, (and it’s a big IF) they can now be trusted with child welfare is there even a need for them in schools now? Has the state not developed enough to manage its own business now?
    Time to move on and let trained qualified people run the education system in this country.

the churches can organise Sunday schools etc to teach their doctrine and the time on doctrine in schools can be better used

• Advertisement

Plurality… while our primary education system is still almost entirely a 19th century monoculture.

Advertisement