Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re-turn list the recyclables as one of their categories of funding, a specific listed item.
    It is not small change.

Those recyclables were funding kerbside collection.

But sure, if it is all just a sob story, and insignificant sums, Re-turn can just give the bin companies a cut of the recyclables to compensate them.

Or could we expect "sob stories" being fed by Return and their media shills if that was floated?

People should be very suspect of these chancers in Re-turn alright.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,449 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This was well before DRS.

June 16, 2023Greyhound Recycling’s staggering 48% price increases driven by nothing else but greed – Cllr Daithí Doolan

Dublin Sinn Féin Councillor Daithí Doolan has said that Greyhound Recycling’s decision to increase prices by a staggering 48% in the space of less than 18 months is motivated by nothing else but greed. The Councillor for Ballyfermot-Drimnagh added that it is further proof of the need for domestic waste collection services to be brought back into public ownership.

Cllr Doolan said:

“This staggering increase will come as a shock to Greyhound customers. The monthly charge is to jump by 48% from €16.50 less than 18 months ago to €24.47 next month.  “This increase comes just two months after Panda started charging their customers for the brown bin collection. “Today’s announcement by Greyhound is driven by nothing else but greed. None of the waste collection companies are struggling to maintain profits."

SF agit prop drivel. How does he know what it is motivated by? More economic illiteracy.

Did anything else happen that might explain the increase?

And regardless you are committing the same logical fallacy. The explanations of previous price increases doesnt mean the current price increase has same reason.

Given that we know the recyclables are worth several millions and Return list it as a specific funding source.

You keep running away from that point for obvious reasons.

I will quote that the next time someone claims their Coke or Lucozade price went up because of DRS.

• Advertisement

It will prove nothing as you quote it without understanding. It is entirely plausible as basis for discussion to propose that DRS led to price increases from certain suppliers.

Just as you posted nonsense about media sob stories while being utterly incapable of acknowledging that Return are now using the millions from recyclables to fund their operations.

Do you think that fools anyone?

When you do that, your posts have no credibility.

How many millions does Return expect in revenue from sale of recyclables?

You were the one who kicked this off with the sob story nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

I asked a person in the Waste Company repeatedly is the price increase due to losing aluminium from recycle bins and eventually he said "I wouldn't argue with that"

That sort of answer is more common than people might think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

From a logical perspective (I know this is difficult) - can you see why a waste collection company would have to put up their prices IF a significant income earner for them in the past (ALU) were removed for the items that they collected? Or would you expect them to pick up the tab themselves?

This is a fairly straightforward logicaly grounded answer…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And Doolan is entirely correct.

However, that doesn't excuse what happened when the bin companies up'd their prices becuase Re-turn took a slice of their action.

The consumer is at the mercy of both bastards. And both bastards need to go.

Companies like Greyhound, who don't even pay their taxes here, are cunts no doubt. But Re-turn is no better and the scheme that's been set up has been a fat disaster since it's started. It's simply not fit for purpose in its current form. There's no getting away from that.

I, literally, know nobody IRL that's happy with it.

Greater minds than me remain to be convinced of that logic. We will see how it pans out, when the companies present their evidence. See post #2251. Anyway so far, Oxigen have not increased mine. I think I am giving them a big enough whack of money already, and they never told me before that they need cans from me.

Another great logic here is that the supply chain used the introduction of DRS to increase prices. It just makes common sense, doesn't it? It doesn't unless someone comes up with the proof. The CPI figures show that it is false.

Why would Oxigen tell you they 'need' cans from you?
    Think about that piece of nonsense for a moment.

Are you going to acknowledge that Return have listed the recyclables as a specific source of their revenue?
    So you must accept they are valuables to the tune of several millions.
    Or just keep coming up with nonsense and deflections like that?

The CPI figures don't show that to be false because the items in the scope of the CPI figures are limited and may not pickup on certain specific suppliers increasing the price on specific products.

You can't or won't see the wood from the trees. Hard to have a civil conversation if posters can't or won't display the ability to apply basic logic to situations.

It makes complete sense that corporate entities will make the best of any situation to increase their profits. Something you'll never find them admitting to however.

The logic would have to be that the companies were making a profit on cans. Over and above the profit they are making from completely unexplained (to me) recurring charges. I am giving them stuff which they want, they don't take stuff they don't want. They have increased the recurring charge (in my case) on a number of occasions before DRS.

And that they were using some of the profit from cans to make the recurring charges lower than they would have been otherwise. It would be logical to ask customers to cover that reduction now, if the profit is lower. But if they were taking all the profit to pass on to shareholders and top executives, those people should take the hit. That is the sort of information which will make things clear, when they present their evidence. Anyway it all seems very rushed, after only a few months to judge market conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love that you expect the bin companies to provide all evidence of everything but ReScam don't have to prove anything...

The logic would be the companies were supplementing their recurring charges income with income from 'recycling or selling' specific types of material that they had collected from roadside collections. It's very common knowledge that ALU was a particularly lucrative market. One would expect that had the income from that market dropped of a cliff, as it has, that that needs to be made up somewhere. I don't think thats and illogical standpoint and if anything it's perfectly normal in business practice, particularly when you only competition is a state sponsored monopoly going forward.

The profits I am talking about are more to do with retailers and producers using the DRS as an opportunity to increase the base price of their products. Which of course they will never admit and which evidently can't be reacted using the CPI for various reasons. Some good posts on this thread have gone over on detail what has been going on.

What I need to know is whether all that supplementary income is going to the bosses and the shareholders. Or is some of it coming back to their customers, in the shape of subsidy to the recurring charge. Simple enough for them to explain when they get the chance.

You realise that is a conspiracy theory about drinks prices? Why would they admit to something if it is not true? And how about someone producting some evidence, never mind proof. As odyssey06 asked yesterday: "Did anything else happen that might explain the increase?".

The very logical viewpoint which I saw is that the supermarkets at the end of the supply chain knew they could not make big increases. Because the public were already facing a 15 / 25 cent deposit at the point of sale. Which they could get back when they consumed the product.

I was warned about using the price reduction to some One Litre Soda Waters on the thread, because individual products prove nothing. So let that apply to individual increases. The plain fact is that the Soft Drinks category as a whole increased by 2.8% in the year to August. The exact same as the calendar year 2021. And way below the 10% / 11% for the years 2022 and 2023. Obviously the increase in 2023 was concentrated more in the first half.

Re-Turn is a not for profit entity, funded by the Polluters. They never cost me a cent, so I am not much interested in their internal affairs. I am paying a big whack to Oxigen, so I don't want them conning me into paying even more using Re-Turn as an excuse. Let them justify it to the politicians.

"Re-turn (DRSI CLG) is a not for profit company limited by guarantee, and was formed by producers and retailers in order to fulfil their obligations under the Separate Collection (Deposit Return Scheme) Regulations 2021."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The fundamental difference between the two is that the bin companies are seeking to take extra money from your bank account that you will never see again.

Meanwhile Re-turn offer to give you back your deposit. All their public statements urge consumers to get their money back.

It is true that there are many problems with DRS, most of which we have discussed here, but many are collecting refunds and the figures show that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭jj880

You should release a range of not for profit soda waters and pay yourself a big salary. At least that would be more imaginative trolling than your posts here.

Also you weren't told soda water prices were meaningless because it was only 1 product. Soda water was already overpriced so you cherry picked it as it was coming down anyway when the DRS was launching. The only such outlier you could find it seems due to the fact we've never heard the fecking end of it since.

An update on the figures. If I was using the simplistic logic applied by the recent RTE report, I would say that they have achieved a 86.4 % return. 4.32 million out of a guesswork 5 million sales.

https://re-turn.ie/irelands-record-returns-over-half-a-billion-containers-returned-since-the-launch-of-the-deposit-return-scheme/

"Sunday, September 8 was the busiest day for returns with 4.32 million containers brought back in one day."

Yeah a Sunday. Come on! 🤣

Lord Ossian himself said 1.9 billion sold per year so 5.2 million a day.

We don't know how many are paying deposits. So the figures of those recovering them are meaningless.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Well yiippee do! How many used to go in household recycling bins every day before this? Absolutely pointless figures.

Does it really matter where the money goes if the consumer ends up worse off? I know you don't hold the drinks companies, the retailers or indeed return to the same reporting standards as you seem to hold the bin companies to. Why is this?

You can't state anything about the soft drinks industry as a whole as there's no data available that covers all soft drinks over a period of a number of years. There's countless examples here of base price inflation on this thread.

Would any company admit to something that makes them look bad? Would you even admit to some that that makes you look bad......

No company is going to say they took advantage of consumer confusion to add another ten percent on top......

I wouldn't trust your logic as far as I could throw it based on recent events.

I don't buy any of those mixtures of sugar and water. Some of which have increased this year apparently. Only Soda Waters, some of which have reduced.

• Advertisement

Deleted

They certainly don't give the full picture but nevertheless have a limited value.

They prove that what I posted is correct.

"many are collecting refunds...."

Sure many were recycing using the recycle bin before this…..

Many have no choice but to collect refunds if you think about it……the interesting bit, longer term for me, will how, over the next few years our consumption of PET and ALU containers under this scheme will reduce because if they don't this whole scheme is pointless.

The point I was making is that extra charges imposed by bin companies are 100% gone forever whereas with DRS many get their money back.

The recycle bin was never going to get us to 90%.

There is no choice, if you want the deposit back the container must be returned.

Of course we have discussed the problems faced by some in doing so which need addressing.

There seems to be little appetite among producers, retailers or consumers for reduction in usage

But they are still 100 percent gone forever………and worse still that 100 percent is likely to increase over and above what it has been for obvious reasons the removal of the PET and ALU items from recycle bins hasn't lead to a reduction in recycling bin collection charges - its likely to lead to an increase in them, whether that increase is paid directly by the consumer (increase in monthly fees) or indirectly by the consumer (subsidy paid by ReTurn to bin companies)

The recycle bin was never going to get us to 90 percent because the appetite wasn't there using it to get us to 90 percent - we didn't try one single thing to try increase the amount of items - in fact if the same marketing budget were spent on recycling using bins as Recycle spend I have no doubt things would have improved - eveny to compartmentalise the bins or providing a seperate bin for PET and ALU - who actually knows - nothing was every trialled or done, but we are told we are copying the ebst schemes in operation EU wide - yet somehow we are finding that there are problems faced by some that "need addressing"…………

There was no appetite for a DRS scheme her either - but here we are - if we don't reduce useage the whole lot is completely pointless - we are just making a number of suppliers, DRS machine providers/collectors richer.

I am totally opposed to any bin charge increases to the consumer and have outlined this several times here.

I'm not convinced that changes to kerbside collection would get us to 90%.

Kerbside collection only deals with containers in households with a bin contract.

It does nothing to improve collection from out of home consumption or on the move purchases.

Do you think that producers, retailers and consumers are willing to give up the convenience of plastic and aluminium ?

If they ever do get to that point it will take a long time in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced that ANY of this if of any environmental benefit - which is ultimately what this is about.

Getting recyclables separated and reused instead of being landfilled, incinerated or left in ditches is an environmental benefit.

I'm still hopeful that DRS will settle down and become a success.

It's not if the use of the items increases over time which is what we have seen in other countries with this scheme in operation.

DRS is not designed to create a reduction in use of plastic and aluminium containers.

It's a solution to a problem we have here and now.

As I said above there is no indication that reduction is acceptable at this time.

People are not willing to stop buying water and soft drinks on the move.

Home drinkers like their cans.

Big bottles of minerals are popular for families.

This may change in the future.

Is the only point of this scheme then, to more accurately measure the amount of items in scope bought versus the amount of items in scope returned?

Because if that is the case, as I think it is, the scheme is going to be deemed a success - but what does it actually matter if it doesn't lead to a reduction in the use of these products??

• Advertisement

Not at all.

I'm suggesting to you that the task of reducing the number of plastic bottles and aluminium cans used is a big one.

It's going to take a while to achieve if it is even possible.

Where would you start?

That would be achieved by increasing this tax by a few hundred percent. People would love that.

Rate of tax

Sugar Sweetened Drinks Tax (SSDT) applies on a volumetric basis at one of the following rates:

• €16.26 per hectolitre on drinks with a total sugar content of five grams or more, but less than eight grams, per 100 millilitres.
    • or
    • €24.39 per hectolitre on drinks with a total sugar content of eight grams or more per 100 millilitres.

These rates are dependent on the total sugar content of the 'ready to consume' form of the sugar sweetened drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

If I recall correctly, our aluminium collection rates were not an issue. On the basis that it could be relatively easily extracted from waste. For environmental reasons, would it not have made more sense to leave cans out of the deposit scheme, incentivising people to use cans rather than plastic bottles? It would have provided people with a slightly more sustainable alternative and could have served to reduce use of one off plastics. The problem was that the aluminium was too valuable a waste stream to share.

Sure aren't all of these tasks "big ones"?

You'd start by disencentivising the producers, who at the moment and for the foreseeable future have it handy.

This has got f-all to do with sugar but to be fair, a similiar framework is required.

I think producers made changes to their products based on the sugar taxes - did they not?

Post edited by kippy on

In your other post you asked this: "but what does it actually matter if it doesn't lead to a reduction in the use of these products??"

DRS has nothing to do with what is in the cans and bottles, just the empties. Do you want to see a reduction in the use of what is in the cans and bottles? If so, why?

I don't know what producers did. If you think it is relevant, give the details. If the government wants to influence consumption, they can use extra taxes. Or a MUP framework.

This is a great example of the kind of gombeen stroke that was not legislated by the EU. Theres just no getting away from it no matter how many times we hear "didnt cost taxpayers anything", "not for profit", "not a quango", "polluter pays" etc. These terms dont matter. There are a million ways to shift the cost onto us. Just because there might be an extra step or 2 involved before we pay is nonsense.

Re-Turn is full of this and our lads came up with it. Not the EU.

How would you disincentives producers ?

Their business is producing and selling soft drinks, water, beer etc.

That's where their profits come from.

They currently have a packaging model that facilitates widespread retailing of their products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

And they have seats on the Board of ReTurn so don't expect any anti producer/retailer policies to be introduced.

The products I am talking about are the ALU and PET containers….we need to reduce the amount of these in circulation - that is the basic premise - increasing the amount is not good for the environment, no matter whether they are reclycled or not.

In response to the "sugar tax" a number of producers reduced the level of sugar in their products……my point being that you can change the behaviour of organisations by taxation - in this instance with the DRS you have shifted almost all of the responsibility onto the consumer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement