Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's switched back to analogue on that train now, as it's back in regular service the past couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Didn’t say anything about the UK, I know well they will never use km. The only cross border line in the Republic is the one to Belfast so I don’t see how that’s a barrier to changing our own network. Just speed limits, not too sure about the mileposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Ireland trains

https://www.96fm.ie/news/96fm-news-and-sport/works-to-twin-track-glounthaune-to-midleton-rail-line-to-start/

Work to begin in September on twin tracking Glounthaune to Midleton.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2024/0826/1466736-kishoge/

Looks like some thought has already been given to the next timetable change, with more weekend services on the Kildare line planned (perhaps finally through the park tunnel?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Iarnród Eireann tender for Training Lead for new BEMU fleet and ETCS projects;

This is a call to competition by IE for the procurement of a [Training Lead/consultant for the New Dart+ Fleet and ETCS projects] (the “Contract”). [refer to Contract Notice issued in OJEU on 23rd August 2024 IE are introducing a new Battery Electric Multiple Unit Fleet (BEMU) into operation in December 2025. The new fleet comes with various system The Training Lead for the new Dart Plus Fleet and ETCS projects (network wide) will be responsible for developing operational procedures for the DART Plus and all ETCS systems as they are rolled out across the fleet. The role will also involve coordinating, developing, and delivering training programs and modules for these operational procedures to staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A question about fleet plans.

As the trains from the Alstom framework order are delivered and deployed across the GDA during the next few years, I think the idea is to move some or all of the 29000 DMU class out of the GDA.

And maybe some 22000 ICR sets will be replaced by the new trains.

Will this mean enough extra stock that there can be more frequency on regional routes? For example, Sligo line, Mayo line, Galway, Waterford, etc.?

What is the future of the 2600 class, built in 1993, entered service in 1994? They are 30 years old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's been discussed here before but the 29Ks are in rag order. I think IE had a tender out to replace the floors in them, but they really need a full refurb, and even then they'll still be noisy, smelly clank-wagons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in fairness all of those suburban diesel classes are clank wagons.

you are correct though the 29s are effectively scrap condition at this stage and need a full refurbishment if they are to remain in service.

the 22s are a more interesting case as while they have had refurbishments such as new engines ETC, the running of them on stop start suburban services is likely to shorten their life span as they aren't designed for it really.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

the future of the 2600s is hard to say.

yes they are 30 years old but they are quite similar to the 2800s which are nearly 25 years old now and both classes likely have quite a lot of life left in them yet.

the electrification/BMUfication will free up 22000s certainly, but how much of an increase in services that will allow is probably unknown at this stage, but it will allow for an increase as suburban runs do require quite a lot of them.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Thanks.

Yes, the 2800 are grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The floors are being renewed as we speak.

On the flip side, the 29k fleet has to be one of the reliable fleet of trains IE have ever bought.

For all the negatives that you posted, that's is a major plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've yet to see a 29000 with the new floors; but have had a few with the new PIS (and old floors).

It's just starting now. The PIS renewal is a separate project which is also ongoing.

It’s been mentioned on here a number of times.
    They’ve been replacing the floors on the 29s since last winter. Think there may have even have been photos of it posted.

There’s a few sets with the new PIS around. They don’t couple with the older sets, so almost always running as 8 pieces. Takes about a month for each new set to be fitted out, so another set each month going into service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What is PIS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Passenger Information System I think, the thing that makes announcements and displays the stops (and the myriad of other things Irish Rail use them for such as CCTV messages and “mind the gap”).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The new ones on the Dart spend 90% of the time showing the Dart logo and nothing else. Irish Rail don't do "information".

I am trying to compare capital expenditure on roads with capital expenditure on transit.

It seems that roads capex is far higher?

During 2024, how many live construction is taking place on transit capex?

• Foynes line - work continues
    • Kishoge station finished and opened
    • Ceannt station, Galway - work started early 2024
    • Cork - Kent station extra platform - construction work is underway during
    • Cork - Midleton doubling work to start during autumn 2024
    • Cork - new signalling?
    • Waterford station - work is underway during 2024

That seems like much less spending than on new roads?

EDIT: I mean capex on new roads during the motorway building period.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭joeymcg

There isn't a vast amount of road building actually underway either right now.

Public transport capex spending is to go up hugely in the next few years with Metrolink, Busconnect CBCs and DART+, as well as re-fleeting and whatever comes from FourNorth (that name may have been dropped - the project to look at quad tracking the Northern Line) and the AISRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭OisinCooke

Is there a feasibility study/QBA due on that soon or am I making things up again…?

• Advertisement

Was funded in early 2023 so I'd hope its well underway!

Yes, good.

I worry about a new Govt, though.

If we are serious about modal shift, we need to see investment on a par with the development of the motorway network .

Very much so!! It’s flying up in fact! It’ll be quite the sight to behold when it’s done (early 2026 apparently) but already it’s taking big shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭rounders

I don’t know how you came to that conclusion. It is totally the opposite. There is only one road scheme under construction nationwide right now, on the N5. If you look at the period to the end of 2030 I’d say public transport spending will easily be five times road spending, if you add up what will we spent on metrolink, Dart, Luas and BusConnects.

Sorry, what I'm really trying to compare is capex on transit now versus capex on new roads during the motorway building period.

What I mean is that given we have the GP in Govt, plus given that tax receipts are strong, I would hope to see capex on new transit infrastructure during 2023/2024/2025 on the same scale as the peak of motorway copnstruction period.

I would like to get data on that.

Is that really true? Just the N5? I am a big fan of investing in transit, but that seems too little.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You need projects through planning before you can build them. Once Metrolink and all the DART+ and BusConnects projects get through planning and into construction then you'll see the Capex rise sharply.

As to the roads, they are in a similar boat. There aren't many ready to go to construction. Next year the M21 and M28 schemes should get underway, but there's nothing else through planning.

Ber in mind that comparing capital expenditure from periods 20 years apart would be meaningless without first adjusting for inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The intercity motorway network cost about 10 billion. Metrolink alone won't be far off that!

BusConnects is going to top 3bn, DART+ 5bn, that is before we even start looking at the AIRR (40bn for the total plan!).

But as Pete said above, inflation makes a difference here.

Though do keep in mind when the Motorways were being built 20 years ago, so were the two Luas line, DART platform lengthening, the ICR and Mark4 fleets were bought and plenty of other "smaller" rail projects were happening. Not enough of course, but it was happening.

There are some minor realignment schemes but it is the only major project underway. There is not a huge pipeline of schemes ready or near ready to go either - M28 and M21 are basically it.

The pipeline has not been kept going in recent years; there are some schemes pootling along in design and one that might have been ready to go but has failed (again) to get planning - the Galway Bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

However, some projects can perhaps partially proceed. For instance, the N2 dualling from Ardee to Catleblayney is mostly online, this could proceed in smaller sections. I have the impression that Monaghan County Council wanted to move on this but someone is slowing things down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There’s huge rail projects mooted in their Rail Infrastructure Plan and given their scale they’d want to be getting underway soon in planning at least t for progress to get underway - seems big on aspiration, short on exact detail and timeframe delivery. Dual tracking and electrification of lines are huge projects not to mention the new lines

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Any sign of the new trains arriving yet ?

Nothing can proceed if it doesn't have a design and planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Ireland trains

https://www.clare.fm/news/irish-rail-unveils-plans-double-frequency-ennis-routes/

Passing loop at Sixmilebridge, improved journey times, double track from limerick to limerick junction and a rail line to Shannon discussed by Jim Meade (if anyone has a link to the actual presentation it’d be appreciated:)

The passing loop is a good idea and could be instigated relatively quickly. The airport spur will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The spur is probably more about serving Shannon town than it is about the airport no?

Local politicians never mention the town when talking about the spur. It's always referred to as a link to the airport.

Why only a passing loop at Sixmilebridge, but double track from imerick to Limerick Junction. There is no commuter potential on the line to LJ, only intercity which will never to more than a few trains per hour so a passing loop would suffice (if even that is needed) . The Ennis line can grow passenger numbers if frequency is increased, plus it is an intercity line, wouldn't it be better to invest more on that side of the city?

Incidentally, there is a thread for the Ennis line which is probably better suited for this discussion.

Hopefully the passing loop at Sixmilebridge doesn't take as long as Oranmore's.

Five years have passed, and the application for planning permission still hasn't been submitted.

IMHO, every intercity line should be:

• double-track
    • no level crossings
    • 200kph max speed
    • electrified

So the line from Limerick to LJ should be re-doubled, yes.

I hope there is the potential for 5 tph each way: 2tph to Dublin, 2tph to Cork, and 1tph to Waterford.

We need to build for growth and massive modal shift, we need to be ambitious.

doubling limerick junction to limerick is a case of you need to double to the junction to the galway line anyway, and if you are doing that you may as well just go on further and do the lot.
    so a passing loop won't suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Sorry, but what do you mean by "to the junction with the Galway line"? Do you mean Limerick to Athenry? There are more urgent investments than this.

Well there isn't going to be demand to justify 2tph to Dublin, 2tph to Cork, and 1tph to Waterford for a long time if talking about direct trains. Realistically you could have an hourly direct train to Dublin and one to Cork, plus then changing to/from Dublin - Cork trains between the direct trains. If the timing can be gotten right, the Waterford train could potentially serve as the link between Limerick and the Dublin - Cork trains. Obviously the Ballybrophy line also can provide a link to trains to/from Dublin and it also serves other journeys too. That level of service doesn't necessarily mean separate 10 separate train paths per hour.

I really don't see double-tracking to LJ adding much, I'm convinced that money could do more good if spent elsewhere. Staying in the Limerick area, investment would be better put into the lines to Ennis or Nenagh.

The double track needs to be extended some distance beyond Killonan Junction at the very least, ideally as far as the loop at Dromkeen, as it is a very limiting factor when trying to schedule services on the Limerick/Limerick Junction section. The shuttles pass at Killonan Junction right now, with little or no margin for late running.

I've explained before that it's impossible to schedule closer connections from Cork in the mornings currently because the line is too congested.

There is a clear aspiration to run additional direct services between Limerick and Cork aside from the Limerick/Limerick Junction services connecting services, and the Limerick/Dublin direct services.

It's going to be difficult to path them without additional track capacity, and doubling Killonan to Dromkeen would make a lot of sense.

You need to look at map. It's not physically possible to double track the Ennis line through Limerick.

I know not the point of the thread but I agree wholeheartedly with having Waterford services carry on to Colbert, I always think this makes the most sense (with a pre-09:00 arrival at both ends of course…!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement