Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hezbollah have fired about 10k rockets and drones at Israel since Oct 8th.

It's long past time a message was sent.

Now is the time to finish them and set Lebanon free. No country can have a force the size of Hezbollah, the aggression of them, the obsession with killing they have on their border.

Time to end that threat, they could have stopped anytime since last Oct.

They constantly refused, no time for talk is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well they actively helped the British maintain their presence in Northern Ireland for decades, so by your logic, any gardai killed by the IRA during the troubles were fair game, right?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If this is possible, then everyone carrying around any mobile device could be potentially killed instantly at any moment.

Hopefully its just a batch of devices that were explicitly armed with explosives and not a software hack that turns any battery into a bomb.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if the air safety regulators decide to take this as a threat to air safety. I know if I was involved in security at airports id be asking this question

It would be very annoying if airlines forced all phones to be stowed in some kind of faraday cage for the duration of all flights, or even force the batteries to be disconnected (impossible for the vast majority of devices these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Best guess.. somehow they managed to get hold of the pagers prior to being delivered to Hezbollah, installed explosive and technology that would cause the detonation when paged with a particular system wide message.

So they were able to intercept the pager delivery or were the 'supplier' to begin with like the FBI sting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I doubt it's possible to just blow these pagers up with their standard battery, it's a lot more likely they were rigged with something like RDX similar to how they killed Yahya Ayyash using his phone,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahya_Ayyash#:~:text=Ayyash%20is%20credited%20with%20advancing,a%20booby%2Dtrapped%20mobile%20phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭giseva

Some might say if that's the company you keep then so be it, the Nazis had staff that did admin!

But yeah, the idea that someone connected to Hez, not directly militarily involved, that may have been working in a school or hospital in close proximity to kids when their device detonated is nuts.

But whoever was behind this operation were obviously willing to take the chance, sure how many children and innocent people have been killed in this war already with their 'targeted' bomb strikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Joe Biden said America's support for Israel was "ironclad".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭thereiver

The reason they don't use phones is that's it's too easy to use apps to spy on phone use location and messaging so pagers were thought to be more secure for a terrorist group to use .we,ll probably never know how they did this

Israel?

Terrible isn't it, the bombs they've planted all over Europe, the tourists and children they randomly stab outside schools or shoppers and tourists at markets and concert halls. Those Jews, eh? You couldn't be up to them.

Oh wait …. 🙄

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They do that with devices with batteries above a certain capacity already.

Hopefully its just a batch of devices that were explicitly armed with explosives and not a software hack that turns any battery into a bomb.

I think the idiom ‘never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity’, applies in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Israel have done something similar to that before alright, with one target. They have killed a Hamas bomb maker with a booby trapped mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Soc_Alt

what a mad idea.

The original pagers were obviously swapped out before delivery with ones containing explosives.

I wonder do hezbollah change their pagers frequency and Israel & Co caught on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Yeah but I'm sure Hezbollah were only using those pagers for nice purposes, I'd imagine they were mainly used by their wives to ask them could they pick up some ice creams for the kids so really it's quite mean of the Israeli's to destroy them.

ha! I had just referenced him and read your post after 😀

You are right. It’s highly improbably this is a regular li-ion battery blowing up. They just can’t blow like that, and not with a battery as small as one in a pager. More likely is it’s explosives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They weren't actively and directly engaged in an occupation in the republic, so no. The British, just as with Israel, are responsible for their own actions. With this in mind do you recognise the recent decision of the ICJ regarding the West Bank Volchista?

The British weren't bombing - or letting a rogue terrorist force on their soil, bomb - whole towns in the republic either though, so you're not comparing like with like there. Much of Northern Israel has been evacuated because of Hezbollah's rockets.

As for the West Bank, I don't defend most of Israel's actions in the West Bank, including the settlers themselves. They shouldn't be there. So what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Not all combatants, its already been stated in the thread and on in the media that a 10 year girl was killed by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,997 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So Israel should comply with the courts decision and leave the West Bank as soon as possible? What action if any, do you feel should be taken if they don't? What should the EU and America do in response?

According to sky news Arabia. Israelis injected an explosive into the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is everyone now an expert in pager technology?

What did you Google to find him, we both could be getting a knock on the door later 😄

Yea you definitely wouldn't be able to do it with an ordinary lithium battery, I've punctured a few working on them and they just fire up like a fountain, no explosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Not zero history for that full list. Israel while nominally a secular state has a large ultra orthodox community with considerable influence who want to enforce religious laws too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

The pager manufacturers shares are going to tank.

Now THAT is a nice example of whataboutery. Somebody upthread didn't understand the meaning of the word. They should keep your posts as an illustration.

This is not the thread for that discussion. Start a thread on it if you like. But I don't agree that Hezbollah is entitled to use Lebanon as a base for its religious war against Jews because of the West Bank. If that were any sort of logic, Spain and France should have joined Ireland to get the British out. We share the same religion after all.

Given the age profile of boards.ie there is a societal reservoir of knowledge in them, even just having seen them on TV stands out now

• Advertisement

If regular Li-ion batteries were that good at exploding, the Ukrainians wouldn’t be strapping bombs to their FPV drones. They could just explode the much larger battery.

It was explosives that was in the pagers.

Update

I’m happy that you are still thinking about my reply to your posts 🥰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

I completely agree. Also agree with Danzy above that there's enough knowledge around.

It shouldn't have to be said that this wasn't a hack. The pagers were supplied in this form with a small explosive charge contained within them. I could speculate on the sequence used to detonate them but it's not really relevant.

They coopted 5000 pagers. Not one or two but thousands. This is alarming. How many terrorists and terror supporting nations are now figuring out how to compromise, say, a million TV remotes? Smart thermostats? Cheap smartphones, cars, watches, anything with an RF connection? How many are already compromised?

Paranoid? I'm getting there.

• Advertisement

It was only an hour or so previous to that. TBH I couldn't remember who it was, but it always irritates me when people use words they clearly don't understand.

Thankfully I saw him mentioned on a BBC article.

But il leave the phone downstairs going to bed tonight, just in case. 😶

Iranian (dissident) twitter is speculating wildly about how the Iranian ambassador, who doesn't have a pager, was injured in the face and hand by a pager belonging to a prominent member of Hezbollah.

Translation (provided by twitter):

urgent

According to Reuters:The ambassador of the Islamic Republic in Lebanon, who was wounded in the hand and face, did not have a pager at all. Speculations regarding the proximity of the hand and face of the ambassador of the Islamic Republic to the Pager of Kemari, a member of Hezbollah!

I mean, what was the face of Iran's ambassador next to the waist of a divine party?!🧐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That makes it so much easier to demonise Israel and sympathise with Hezbollah, otherwise some might have to consider congratulating Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

While I'm speculating, given the number of pagers involved, how many were on commercial airlines?

Is the amount (20g according to a quote from wandererz above, which I've no reason to doubt and probably makes it RDX or petn) detectable by airline security? Will we get to find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Your posts on these topics are vile volchitsa. They'll invariably condone the murder and maiming of any man, woman, child, or infant and then flippantly wave it off as them deserving it by making up in your own head that someone was a "terrorist".

The irony of attributing that word to each and any person except the zionists. Imagine if Al Quaida had implanted explosives into mobile devices in the US and then started to set them off en masse. Would you say that the American victims were terrorists or the ones causing the mayhem were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Let Volchitsa go back to their roots of excusing the paras on bloody Sunday. After all, those weren't innocent victims - there were imaginary terrorists hiding behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

So many seem to forget that Israel is a proxy state of the US. The Jews are the most powerful lobbyist is the US the control finance, media including Hollywood, industry, commerce etc. etc. Ask the tenor Ronan Tynan how powerful, ruthless and evil they really are behind a facade of respectability ….he suffered greatly at their hands just for cracking a silly anti jewish joke.

Anti-semitic - warned and one day forum ban applied

Post edited by Beasty on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭thereiver

They were set off over the space of an hour . hezbollah are a known terrorist organisation it,s well known iran has links with hezbollah and probably provides them with weapons or missiles

I'm sure you'll be able to quote where I've done that. I mean you wouldn't be making stuff up or anything? Or, god fobid, just lying?

The difference is, I know what a country run by terrorists is really like. You imagine some noble cause, and you probably even imagine you'd have been brave enough to be part of it - but I knew lads that were beaten up or kneecapped for crimes such as "stealing" someone's girlfriend. Which says a lot about how the girlfriend is considered too.

And you can be sure if you had been there you'd never have been out in the action anyway.

Today was Narrowater if you want to shoehorn in 6 counties.

The north has no relevance or relation to what is going on over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Would not put it past the Israelis to monitor which hospital has the largest amount of injured and flatten it

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I'd say a lot of the Jihadi Palestinian Protesters must be in tears at this news

You should put effort into making sure the Legacy and Reconciliation Act is upheld up there Volchitsa. Pesky Starmer might be adding a speedbump there. So that those brave soldiers who fought against the terrorists on Bloody Sunday etc. are not held to any account for their brave actions.

Same mentality. Same justification and logic. You wouldn't be taking a hypocritical stance now on it would you? Perhaps you are disappointed that the British administration didn't take it upon themselves to deliver mail bombs to random houses in nationalist areas? I mean, they surely would have taken out a lot of terrorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

It was clearly an extraordinarily complex, expensive, risky operation. I wouldn't be alarmed unless I was a high-value target and my enemy had huge resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Yet again we have certain western fanatics celebrating the murder of children. No surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

One would have to assume that every message ever recieved on all of those pagers, along with tracking data, is now sitting in a database in TLV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I didn't mention Israel. But since you did. If Israel are behind this, there is no way to know who had the pagers at any given moment, or where the person carrying it is. As such, it is an indiscriminate attack.

Post edited by Pedro K on

Advertisement