Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Unless Harris does a major wrong step, which I think she’s very unlikely to do, I don’t see Trump winning. There’s always a potential for some “story” breaking in October around Harris designed to negatively impact her- but considering she was Attorney General much more so than a senator for most of her career to date she’s less likely to have many skeletons in the closet, and you’d imagine they would have been found in 2020.
    Of course lies rumour and innuendo are always a possible tactic come October but these will have less impact.

However “good” Trump was in 2020 in gathering votes and persuading voters , he’s a shadow of his former self today- and of course he lost 2020. Also he’s not the current president which he was in 2020 so he’s even more at a disadvantage

I don’t see a “compelling” reason for voters for Trump to win - I would have seen one if Biden were still running - that challenge was removed .

The border, immigration economy etc- yes they are all still there and problematic as election issues but they always will be- but there’s no terrible emergency right now - we don’t have 500,000 people marching to the American border from South America - we don’t have a tanked economy (albeit it could be better) - there’s no active war that America is heavily involved in but of course there’s plenty of strife throughout the world that impacts America.

Democrats are united behind Harris-Democrat voter ship on the rise - talk of Trump losing in some states that he had previously got in the bag - i just don’t see how Harris can lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Redliketoast

You dont see Trump winning because you and a lot in here tend to focus on one side of the media. You do not see the full picture so it catches you by surprise to know that Kamala is really poor at answering questions. To know that Biden was past it long before his debate mis-step. These are things that you all seemed shocked about. But nobody who sees the other side of the news reports was shocked.

Kamala got a marginal boost after a debate where she had the questions ffs. A debate where ABC have been called out as biased. Why anyone would think that Trump would agree to more cheating is insane. Its no coincidence who Donna Brazile now works for. Im sure you lot dont even know who she is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I thought the line was that Trump wasn't doing another debate because he won it easily and doesn't need another one.

Now you're claiming that he lost cause the other side were cheating and what's why he's taking the ball home.

Where have I even quoted the media in my post?
    And also, I’m probably one of the few here on this thread who has highlighted Harris’ style when engaging with the public as something that going to have to be carefully managed throughout the election - having seen her on the live debate, I’m actually less concerned about that now - she obviously followed the guidance she was given and it turned out very well for her. Trump didn’t follow his advisors guidance and he made a cats dinner of it

As for Biden, I am the proud owner of a mod warning nearly 6 months ago when I questioned Bidens ability to govern so don’t lecture me on my perceptions please- I have the battle scars

Finally - if you’re going to sob over a “fixed” or biased debate, that’s called being a sore loser- I’m sure Harris will give Trump the debating trophy she won as a consolation prize as she walks into the White House. ! 🤪

Of course he is saying he won it easily. Thats what they all do. Democrats tried to claim Biden won his debate until they were quickly called out by the media.

The fact is Kamala refused to do debates on networks that were not friendly to her. She tried to pull the "we already agreed to a debate" even though it was Biden who agreed to the debate, not Harris and apparently she is not Harris…

Then a whistle blower who works for ABC comes out to say that Harris was given the questions and assurances that fact checking would be done on Trump and not her. Then we can see mods who actually debated one of the Candidates and not point out some of the stuff that Kamala says that was denied.

As I said "Donna Brazile" she works for ABC right now and she was the one who resigned from CNN after she was caught giving Clinton questions to her debate…………….. I mean you cant make this stuff up.

So tell me then, why would Trump ever agree to a debate when this is how the Democrats play the game?

Even at the debate Kamala pulled the threat to democracy s### again which has led to a second assassination attempt.

The Democrat team are playing a very dangerous game and they need to stop before they get someone killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭crusd

Kamala is poor at answering question but Trump is somehow good 😂

The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one. And then the batsh*t conspiracy sh*te kicks in. MAGA cult in two paragraphs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭crusd

ABC "whistleblower" is pure MAGA fantasy like their entire platform

You didnt quote the media. I never said you did. I insinuated that your view on Trumps chances, stem form your lack of media awareness.

Sure you can claim that you called out Biden 6 months ago. But that proves that most in here were surprised by this. I mean if you called it out and it was seen as true in here (because god forbid you have an opinion that isnt passed by the majority first) then you wouldnt have received a warning.

As for the fixed debate. I have addressed that in my last post if you want to read it. How many fact checks were done on Kamala?

Finally with Harris' style. I agree. She was very well prepared. She played her tactics really well. She evaded questions. She baited him into ignoring her evasions and she had really well rehearsed answers. Trump on the other hand probably did listen to the advice but the advice came form the wrong person. Loomer is fine but she is not a good tactician. His closing, he asked why she hasnt done it already. Pointing out that all the things she is saying, she could literally do right now. Of course we know that she is limited in her current role and the current state of the houses etc. But that was the tactic. That was how he should have played the WHOLE debate. A question given to her followed by him replying "why are you not doing it now?". But he didnt and thats why he lost.

But while he lost, it doesnt ignore the fact that she didnt answer any question and she wasnt called out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This idea that Harris was given the questions in advance; they weren't exactly quiz questions. "What's your stance on abortion?", "What's your stance on immigration?", "What's your stance on the economy?" - Any debate prep by either party would have had general answers on those topics absolutely nailed down from the start.

Trump was asked about the Border Bill the GOP blocked the Dems from passing, and he b*tched about how great his crowd sizes are and then yelled "THEY'RE EATING THE DOGS!" at the moderators.

You can blame everyone and imagine all the conspiracies about the debate that you like, but ultimately, Trump lost the debate because he absolutely shat the bed. He was only fact-checked because some of the things he said were so demonstrably and factually incorrect. Then he claimed everyone there was against him, but also he still won the debate and it was the best debate he'd had, but also he doesn't want to do another one because only the people who lose the debate would ask for another one even though he asked for another one after beating Biden in their debate.

He's a liar and a moron, he was up against a former prosecutor and DA, and he took all the bait Harris laid out for him without hesitating. That's why he lost the debate.

Donald Trump is a story teller. He answers questions through stories. Kamala tells you what the words of the question mean.

At the debate she was asked how she would fix the border. She invited everyone to attend a Trump rally to see how boring it was. The mods allowed Trump to respond. Then the mods allowed Kamala to respond. They never asked her to answer the question…………………………….

At the debate Kamala said Trump called white supremacists good people. I shared the video in this thread yesterday of Trump specifically saying "I am not talking about the white supremacists and Neo Nazis". He called those people out. The lie was debunked multiple times and was not Fact checked.

The whistleblower released the affidavit BEFORE the debate happened. Then we saw a debate where a usually stuttering Kamala answers questions like she knew what the question was. She wasnt thinking on her feet, she knew how to Segway from "how do you fix the border" to "I invite you to attend one of Trumps rallies". Add that to the fact checking stats and it adds up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You dont see Trump winning because you and a lot in here tend to focus on one side of the media.

Could you provide examples of this other media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Once again, citing something that isn't remotely verified. Can you point to any news outlet confirming there's an actual whistleblower? Also worth noting that the questions in the debate were incredibly predictable and basic, they weren't shocking or unexpected.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2024/09/presidential-debate-abc-whistleblower-car-crash/

I agree with being prepared for questions. You will always be ready for certain questions because as you pointed out, they are pretty obvious.

But it was the way she was able to move from a question to something else.

For example being asked how she would fix the border and she moved that to look at Trumps rallies. They are boring etc. That is a rehearsed answer to a specific question. You will always have rehearsed talking points to questions. But not rehearsed answers.

You say that he is a liar yet she lied multiple times in the debate and was not fact checked.

Certain questions were also off limits such as Biden, the assassination attempt, Harris DA record and Harris brother in law. All obvious questions to ask about considering she spent how long telling the American people that Biden was fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,596 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Here's me thinking that Trump is famously generous, and known far and wide for his many charitable donations and how he selflessly dedicates many hours of his personal time to promote good causes that do not provide any benefit to him

https://apnews.com/general-news-united-states-government-7b8d0f5ce9cb4cadad948c2c414afd57

Have you any proof that there is in fact a whistleblower? So far it seems similar to a qanon announcement, no actual proof and lots of claims. Then gets shared widely.

But isn’t that what elections are all about?

Strategy, letting the other person make the mistakes and a bit of luck along the way?
    if you’re going to sob still weeks later over a perceived biased debate - I’m sorry but that just shows you’re not grown up enough to play with the big boys and girls .

Had Trump lied a lot less and stated facts as opposed to lies, then I reckon the facilitators would have had more opportunity to correct Harris where necessary- but instead they both worked fulltime on correcting his mistakes - “must try harder” is the report card:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump also lied several more times that weren't fact checked. The only times Trump was fact checked were when the lies were so egregious and obvious lies which have been fact checked numerous times before (immigrants eating pets is a lie, abortion after 9 months is a lie, stolen 2020 election is a lie).

The moderators absolutely did not fact check everything, but nothing Harris said was so demonstrably false and disprovable to the level that Trump's lies were fact-checked for. And Trump told numerous other lies that weren't fact checked. The moderators can only do so much in that regard because some of what they said could be deemed opinions rather than lies.

And of course you have rehearsed answers to obvious questions. You might tailor it slightly depending on the specific wording of the question, but when you've done enough prep your answer will usually come out the same each time. Ever done an interview? "What strengths can you bring to the role?", "What were some of your biggest achievements in your previous role?", "What are some of your weaknesses?" - Anyone going for job interviews would have answers to questions like that fully nailed down and rehearsed. Likewise doing presentations.

Also, where's your evidence that some questions regarding Harris were "off limits"? Your imaginary whistleblower again?

I could. But your request is likely in bad faith.

My genuine response is to look at various media sources. Youtube is actually a great source for political commentators these days. People who are not on normal news networks have shows online. Ignore the conspiracy nuts. Stick to the light heared ones.

John Oliver, Bill Maher, Jesse Dollemore and Stephen Colbert are easy enough to watch for the Dems side of things. Even though Maher seems to be disillusioned with the Dems these days.

Ben Shapiro, Matt Walsh, Megyn Kelly and Piers Morgan are all more Republican even though Piers claims not to be.

The idea is that lets say I watched only Matt Walsh. I would only see it from his pov. I would believe that vaccines are bad and Hamas is the only evil one. But if I also watch John Oliver I get his side of the view also. Now I see both sides so my opinion can be more balanced.

There are way more serious commentators but the above is more light hearted and easier to watch. The other stuff is way more technical and can be great for insomnia.

But if you do try to watch any of it, TAKE IT ALL WITH A PINCH OF SALT. Just remember it is all their opinion form their side. Joe Rogan is a perfect example. He always says that people shouldnt get their opinions and views from him. He is a conspiracy nut. He has interesting topics but if you are easily influenced, stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭BQQ

The P Diddy arrest could be devastating for the trump campaign

He must be praying he doesn’t spill the beans before Election Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There really is no limit to the amount of utter drivel that Trump worshippers will spout.

SMH.

• Advertisement

“At the debate she was asked how she would fix the border. She invited everyone to attend a Trump rally to see how boring it was. The mods allowed Trump to respond. Then the mods allowed Kamala to respond. They never asked her to answer the question…………………………….”

You’re still not getting it- that’s simple tactics with a bit of luck that Trump fell for the ploy- it worked .

You’re displaying this “wounded” persona every time a simple election event success story such as the debate is discussed. Most people on this thread have well forgotten the debate- it’s over, good day for Harris, they’ve moved on to the next challenge - I suggest you should too.

Am I in contact with the whistleblower?

Surely you dont think that is even remotely possible.

How can I have proof of the fact there is a whistleblower? They are a whistleblower and they are anonymous becaus ethey are a whistleblower.

They provided the affidavit BEFORE the debate. So either theya re really good at guessing. Or they are form the future. OR it was true

Things claimed in the affidavit apart form the questions, BEFORE the debate even happened

Private negotiations with Kamala Harris’ campaign

Kamala would have a special look on stage, from the podium to the split screen situation

The mods wouldn’t ask about Tony West, about her tenure as AG, about President Biden’s mental fitness and her role in covering it up

Donna Brazile DID do this is the past and she lost her job because of it. She is now working for ABC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I could. But your request is likely in bad faith.

Well no, that means you won't. Whatever the reason for that is nothing to do with me.

Can you give specific examples or not?

Of course its a tactic. But it is the job of the moderator to push the candidate to answering the question. As they did with Trump. Thats the point. Both were not treated the same

This is the usual response in here when something is pointed out. Because of mentality like this, I will be accused of spouting nonsense.

This is something that is being talked about currently. Bill Ackman was forced to address it ffs. Just because it doesnt allign with what is comfortable for the democrats side, doesnt mean it isnt on topic.

How is everyone getting on pretending the second assassination attempt never happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

She had the questions? 😂😂😂 It's amazing how far removed from reality Trumpists are when someone preparing for a debate for questions likely to come up must have cheated somehow. When people prepare for interviews, are they cheating too? 😂

Trump could have prepared too if anyone could have convinced him that he needed more than his usual stream of babble to actually make a coherent point in the debate. It's always someone else's fault or some conspiracy to blame. Never the god king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kamala got a marginal boost after a debate where she had the questions ffs.

Lol. You're drowning in that MAGA koolaid.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's called "Debate prep" , Trump should try it sometime.

The "questions" were always going to be the same things - Economy , Border , Ukraine/Gaza and so a career prosecutor used to preparing opening/closing statements etc. was always going to have scripted responses ready for those topics

She would also have prepped some attacks/jabs on Trump - Like the dig about his rallies which she would have planned to work in somewhere into the debate.

Had Trump prepared and had even a shred of discipline he would have ignored that dig and challenged her on her non-answer about the Border and forced a response from her.

But he didn't, because he's a child and he had to dive in a defend his sad pathetic little ego so he went off on a rant about his "big beautiful rallies that no one has ever seen before" and quite frankly never recovered for the rest of the night , with the possible exception of his closing statement which in isolation was pretty decent for him, but most people didn't notice it because the damage was already done by "They're eating the Dogs" and "I have the concepts of a plan for Healthcare" which just consumed the narrative.

He lost and lost badly because he lacked control and was unable to stay on message , simple as that.

Excuses and lies about "biased moderators" and "she knew the questions" don't matter - He blew it and everyone around him knows it and deep down he knows it too , but his ego won't let him admit it and make corrections to fix it if there's a next time.

Im sorry, I didnt realise you cant read posts the are more than one sentence. I provided examples 🙄

• Advertisement

It's pretty standard for a whistleblower to have their credentials verified by the press. In this case, you're claiming it was created before the debate but it only got released on Sunday. There's no indication that it's a remotely legit affidavit. Care to provide verification that it was created on the 9th as claimed on the document? You don't have any and this is why it can be considered bullshit. No verification of any kind, I could write up a document with different claims and say it was an affidavit, would you accept it at face value?

Advertisement