Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harris Vs Trump 2024 US Presidential election - read the warning in the OP posted 18/09/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Redliketoast

"Weirdly you cant" - wtf you on about. You think that I, can provide you with the notary now?

Are you from this planet?

It wasnt what Trump was saying that has led to any assassination attempts

Because that how fact checking is supposed to work………………………. not checking facts…………….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

@Red, Trump is a known liar. His VP, just this week, stated they would make up stories in order to get into the media. Trump is a convicted fraudster. He has cheated on his wives, he has taken money from charities for his personal use.

So why would you think that he saying he would, or wouldn't do something, is anything that anyone can place any credibility on?

As for him being a threat to democracy, at every single election he has stood in he has stated that he will not accept the result if it goes against him. He has never conceded the last election.

Someone who repeatedly and then allows a violent mob to try to kill other politicians in a failed attempt to overturn an election that he lost is clearly a danger to democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

So what you're saying is absolutely nothing you've claimed is remotely verifiable but you're accepting it as true.... That's pretty shoddy and it's weird that you could believe anything like that without proof. It's like the pet eating stuff, you'll see something on Twitter and claim it as definitive proof.

You haven't any proof that it's anything the Dems said either though. However given the fact the man has somewhat of an obsession with Ukraine, the fact that Trump wouldn't say that he wanted Ukraine to win the war in the debate that could as easily have been a factor as anything else. Trump's own stances backfiring on him effectively.

However we can't say for definite but to claim definitively that Trump's own statements didn't influence the shooter is something you cannot claim.

• Advertisement

You lost me at "When I saw him on the Apprentice"

You might as well have said "When he refused to have his head shaved at Mania"

Vengeance - like how he has never gone after anyone who has said bad things about him. What did his running mate say about him? What did RFK say? Is Clinton in jail?

Mental decline - if you are talking about how he drones on, that is how he always has been. He tells stories. You dont like it. That isnt "mental decline"

You are a prime target for the Democrat cult. They have run their whole dangerous campaign on "feelings". They ran their campaign on personality rather than policy. Their base and their celebs comes out talking about how Trump is a bad person. They never really point out his policies because they are good policies. Its always about how he is a bad person. They talk about how they need to "take him out" or assassinate him. They talk about how they cant allow him to take power because it will lead to no more elections. How it will destroy the country. Their talk has led to someone being killed already. Two assassination attempts on the candidate. They refused protection for a Kennedy ffs. Someone who has a history of family assassinations and threats. But they wanted to scare him away. The "game" that the Biden/Harris campaign (its always been the same campaign) are playing is disgusting and dangerous. The fact that you are talking about how you dont like Trump is so obvious. Thats what all democrats say. Its all about him being an issue. Not his policies. "He is a danger". Of course only one side getting shot at.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah..

Those aren't "lies".

We've been through the whole "Fine people of both sides thing already" , Trump was dog whistling to his supporters for fear of offending them

The Bloodbath comment ,again Dog Whistling and you know it.

And as for his "I know nothing about Project 2025" bullsh!t - Most of the staff on the project worked for him , His VP choice wrote the foreword ffs!! He says "they have some good ideas and some bad ideas" without every saying which are which. Yet another punt to avoid the heat.

And on Abortion , he has danced around it saying he wanted a 15 week limit , then he wanted the States to do it , then he wanted a national standard set , then he wanted to the States to do it. All the while lying through his teeth that "everybody wanted Roe vs Wade overturned".

Fundamentally , he doesn't give a f*ck about it and keeps trying to find something, anything that will stop him losing voters over the Abortion issue that he proudly created.

No one and I mean no one believes that Trump has any firmly held beliefs here and that he will simply do whatever is easiest for him , which if he's in Office with a GOP controlled Congress will be to sign a Federal Abortion ban when they put it on his desk. He won't fight them on it , because he doesn't really care one way or the other.

Trumps "word" is utterly worthless

You asked for some people on the other side of the media line. I have given you some. The MSM is primarily left and Democrat leaning so you will not see right leaning media.

For example David Muir (the debate guy) has provided 95% positive coverage for Kamala and 85% negative coverage for Trump. How is that impartial?

The fact that me saying you should hear both sides of the story, seems to be controversial to you. Is hugely telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,554 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The fact that me saying you should hear both sides of the story

You will rarely if ever get them from the edgelords and grifters who you are parroting.

You will get a narrative, whether that narrative is based on reality or not is not important to that target audience. i.e. You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭crusd

"Both sides blah blah blah". How anyone can honestly claim the content and rhetoric coming from the democrats is anywhere near as bat sh*t as the MAGA crowd and their leader no matter how bad they believe the democrats candidates and policies are is deluded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

My point is that Trump has been an International public figure for 20/30 years and he has ALWAYS been an objectionable arsehole. He didn't become one recently , he has always been an awful human being.

And no , he isn't a story teller , he is Dunning-Kruger made flesh.

He thinks he's always the smartest person in the room when he pretty much never is (unless he's alone with Eric).

He has no interest in learning about things because he is utterly convinced he already knows everything which is why he rambles and makes no sense because he starts to talk about a topic he knows absolutely nothing about but can't shut his mouth, so he fill the space with ridiculous non-sequiturs that aren't remotely connected.

The only people that are taken in by his "story-telling" are the equally uninformed.

The cognitive dissonance in the Statement "You are a prime target for the Democrat cult" is frankly staggering.

There is only one cult in US politics and it ain't the Democrats.

Project 2025 - his VP nomination wrote the foreword. But but but Donald said 😂. You are beyond a parody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,660 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I find the better commentators are ones that are aware of there being "2 movies on 1 screen" and are prepared to criticize both sides or point out bad arguments on both sides

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Reality is what should be reported and the reality of Trump is he is a cheat, a liar, a fraud, and sexual abuser, a convict etc etc etc. Should all that be ignored?

Fine people on both sides - has been debunked!!! I provided the actual video here in this thread yesterday. There is no dog whistling. It is a lie

The Bloodbath comment again is a lie.

The project 2025 stuff. He claims he hasnt read it and doesnt support it. It doesnt matter if you believe him or not. He denied it so it is something that is supposed to be fact checked. Its liek me saying that you like eating watermelons. You might say "no I dont" but I then say "but you once worked with someone who now sells watermelons". Thats not proof. The person who was in charge of project 2025 (the campaign behind it) resigned a couple of weeks ago. It is not something that has ever been in play. It wasnt even written for Trump!!! It was written with Ron DeSantis in mind.

Abortion he has said that many people are talking about timeframes of around 15 weeks but he thinks he should be higher. But ultimately it should be upto the states. I agree it should be upto the states. There has to be a cut off point and WVR didnt have that.

All of the points you are making do not excuse the lack of Fact Checking Kamala Harris on all of these things. You can say he is lying but it has to be pointed out if he denied it already.

Just look at your post. You repeated the very fine people and the bloodbath stuff. You seem to think he actually said those things. Thats not a criticism of you. But that is just pointing out that if you repeat lies enough, then people will think its Trump thats lying. But he didnt say those things. He is not the one lying.

You will get a narrative yes. Which is why I said you need to see the other sides narrative also. Its called getting both sides. In fact it was the way journalism used to work.

Where do you get your news?

For example David Muir (the debate guy) has provided 95% positive coverage for Kamala and 85% negative coverage for Trump. How is that impartial?

No idea where you got that stat from , but it doesn't really matter

Is it "impartial" if it's accurate?

Do you want people to say nice things about Trump for "balance" even though they might not be true?

In an Irish context , should the media here produce a few soft-focus puff pieces on Justin Barrett to balance out his rampant fascism and misogyny?

You know , to show they are impartial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

it is always the plea of MAGA.

Why should Trump face any consequences of his own actions?
    Why should Trump not be given the benefit of the doubt?

As John Stewart says - all they claim is the position of the perpetual victim.

I don't form an opinion from someone's narrative, I normally use evidence and facts.

That is how journalism still works.

Really?

When is the last time an actor assassinated a president - Johnny Depp

Holding severed heads resembling Trump - Kathy Griffin

Wanting to blow up the white house - Madonna (when Trump was president)

Snoop Dogg having a music video where Trump gets shot

De Niro saying he wanted to "Punch him in the face"

Carole Cook "where is John Wilkes Booth when you need him?"

Griffin Dunne referencing a potential assassination of Trump

Now tell me one. Just one person who is a Pro Trumper, who has ever said they wanted to cause harm to Biden or Harris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen videos posted of Harris answering a question with comments about how she is clearly incapable of speaking and is nonsensical and clearly unqualified for the role only to actually watch the video (something most of them presumably don’t bother doing) and hear a perfectly cogent answer.
    I can’t tell if they are disingenuous are genuinely that lacking in basic comprehension skills. But the idea that the debate performance was some massive outlier and she’s normally an incoherent wreck is completely and utterly made up garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just one you say? Well I'm going to pick the criminal wearing stripes holding a $ sign bag and eye mask:

According to the FBI's affidavit, Robertson was a self-described “MAGA Trumper,” who was spotted during FBI surveillance wearing a hat emblazoned with the word “Trump” and attired in the quintessential Trump costume of blue suit, white shirt and red tie. While emulating a former president’s attire isn’t criminal, threatening to kill his enemies certainly is.

Utah man killed by FBI joins a growing list of people willing to die for Trump (msnbc.com)

When is the last time an actor assassinated a president - Johnny Depp

I feel this is something that would have made the news, have you a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,109 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It was pretty obvious it was 3 vs 1 in that debate, she deflected from answering most of the questions and was left away with it, Trump's failing was he fell into the trap of her baiting him and he fell for it, anyway this is a good summary of her lies and false statements

Just look at your post. You repeated the very fine people and the bloodbath stuff. You seem to think he actually said those things. Thats not a criticism of you. But that is just pointing out that if you repeat lies enough, then people will think its Trump thats lying. But he didnt say those things. He is not the one lying.

He DID say those words.

The discussion/debate is about what he meant by them.

The general consensus outside of MAGA world is that he was dog-whistling to the part of his base that would be amenable to the views of those Charlotte marchers . He equivocated and fluffed to leave sufficient ambiguity so that his voters could think "well obviously he wasn't talking about me".

As I said before exactly the same ambiguous equivocation with his "stand back and stand by" when asked about the Proud Boys and his "I don't know anything about QANON but they really like me ,which is nice".

No clear condemnation , no clear distancing himself from them - Just ambiguous language that allows him and his flacks the ability to bend in the appropriate direction depending on the audience.

The same applies to the Bloodbath statement - Ambiguous language that facilitates interpretation in many different ways , depending on the audience thereby ensuring that he keeps the far fringes of his base onside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Economics101

You posted this in the context of Trump's attempt to somehow blame Biden and Harris for the assassination attempts. Your statement is totally daft. Are you implying that somehow Trump's speeches may have lead to assassination attempts? I don't knw, I wouldn't be all that surprised, and most important I would always condemn such attempts withour reservation.

My apologies the stats are wrong

It was

100% positive Kamala

93% negative for Trump

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/rich-noyes/2024/09/09/100-abc-debate-moderator-david-muir-hosts-most-pro-harris-left-wing

Point of note. The founder of MRC who gave these stats, is an outspoken critic of Trump and has been for the last decade. He has zero reason to give Trump any endorsement.

Im not saying that there should be nice things said for balance. But do you think there is zero negative things to be said regarding Harris? Her brother in law embezzling billions of tax payer dollars isnt a story? Her staunch defence of Biden? Her poor record as VP?

Likewise there is no positive stories about Trump? Not one

One for example
    His efforts to counter China. During his presidency, Trump imposed strict regulations on Chinese technology firms, such as Huawei, to protect U.S. interests. His administration also introduced measures to prevent China from acquiring advanced U.S. technologies like semiconductors, and he engaged with Uyghur representatives to address human rights abuses in China.

Furthermore, Trump was credited for negotiating a significant agreement with China to classify fentanyl as a controlled substance, addressing the opioid crisis in the U.S. He also took a tough stance on China's territorial claims in the South China Sea, which resonated well with those favoring a hardline foreign policy approach toward Beijing.

These efforts to curb China's influence and protect U.S. interests have been highlighted as key parts of his foreign policy legacy

Another

In 2023, he contributed $1 million to a fund supporting victims of Hurricane Idalia in Florida. The donation was used to help rebuild homes and support families affected by the disaster. This act of philanthropy was widely covered in the media as a gesture of support for those in need during a time of crisis.

But 93% negative coverage and that doesnt mean the other 7% was positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,660 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

American politics is fun to watch just for the bad arguments that pass as political discussion , how dumb are people to allow themselves to be fooled by such low level insane hallucinations that depend on either, mind reading, "Rupars" or the use of language that doesnt represent how people speak.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement