Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'll always argue that MS killed Xbox, not Sony…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah MS are chasing the streaming market and praying that they lock that down, if a global recession was to happen they would clean up in subscriptions when parents tighten the purse strings

Feel awful for parents who now have another new console their kids will want but absolutely not need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Oh the empty page thing is annoying. Do we need to create new threads to avoid the problem ?

Anyway, The Crew 2 is a euro everywhere at the moment and Ubisoft are adding an offline mode. And it's 60 FPS on ancient hardware like PS5. You don't even need a pro for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It seems to be fixing itself as the empty pages are filled. Still really annoying though.

Not a particularly good look for Capcom with this one. The US version of the Marvel vs Capcom Fighting Collection is getting a physical cartridge release on Switch in North America while the European version is code in a box. This is a full price release with a €55 price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mighty Keef right on the nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

European's who care about owning their games

Unfortunately that's not how it works - you don't own the game in neither case. You own the right to play the game, and that right can be nuked in both cases even if you own a physical copy, which is nothing more than a key and (in most cases) an early obsolete copy of the game that needs to be updated anyway.

Any EU initiative should enforce a minimum period of support, and once the support ends and sales stops a mandatory transfer into public domain for all software products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

As we get further into the digital only environment, I wonder if we’ll see the EU look at enforcing companies to provide a service allowing users to transfer their licenses to other users.

It feels anti competitive to essentially force consumers to lose their digital library if they consider moving to a different platform, and Xbox have said as much - losing the generation where people have started building their digital libraries has made it far more difficult to compete.

I have no doubt Sony/Nintendo would kick up a fuss about it but I really can’t see nothing being done as we move past physical sales.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They need to rewrite copyright law to account for digital ownership. The current laws were written because you couldn't copy a copyrighted work but software works but copying copyrighted code to RAM so the license system was put in place as a stop gap. It was never meant to be a permanent solution and big software companies are basically abusing this and not using it for its intended purpose. Your should own anything you pay money for and saying you only have a license or a rental agreement to use it contravenes European consumer law. And despite the fact you own a license to use said software they will do everything they can to make it illegal for you to try and use it outside of their ecosystem, even if the ecosystem not longer exists.

We do have to be realistic here as well though. Its not a zero cost policy to release legacy games in a working order when servers go down. Server code needs to also be released which could contain proprietary code and security keys to work and patching them out, especially for a long running game with legacy code, isn't easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah the only thing stopping them now are the companies themselves, to be fair to MS they seem to be the most open to let it be a free for all and its because they are miles behind on hardware sales and they are right it does stop people jumping ship, I only looked at this the other day I have 443 games I own on my Xbox ( thank god for gamesharing) this includes games with gold, that number goes beyond 800 when it comes to gamepass, on my Switch I have 19 and on my Playstation I have 9 digital games. There is no way I am not keeping Xbox in some form regardless of what MS do or Ninty/ Sony for that matter either.

From a consumer point of view if I could access the stuff on each of there hardware it would be golden and its not all pie in the sky tech either, yeah you have stuff like touch pad on dualsense but thats a big map button anyway and remapping is possible, Gyro you can turn off on games easily. Haptics arent make or break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

We do have to be realistic here as well though. Its not a zero cost policy to release legacy games in a working order when servers go down

Of course. But I see two directions here, one will be to enforce this end of life release of all it's needed to keep the game (or any other kind of sw) functional, and have all this cost factored in when budgeting and planning a game, and the other would be to be forced to either provide support or lose the right to seek to stop others. And none of these direction don't imply loosing the rights to IPs and trademarks and all collateral copyrighted or otherwise IP protected stuff. Simply put, either keep selling and supporting it, or allow others to do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, that second part is very important. A lot of regulation has been brought in over the years with good intentions, but has had the end result of corporations being the only ones able to afford the ability to comply with all of them. Requiring small devs to support something along the lines of this would probably kill off the route that PUBG took to stardom, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Darksiders 2 Definitive Edition for PS5 launching in October. A remaster of the remaster... I love the game but I don't think I could justify buying it again. And why start with 2? Where's the remastered remastered version of 1? Which I prefer ever so slightly over 2. Don't think a remaster of 3 will improve it.

Oh, and they clarified this release is not related to their recent Darksiders teaser. Which I presume is for Darksiders 4, which isn't announced yet.

Sure does look pretty though. And that style of game is right up my street. Wonder how long before inclusion on PS+...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The gated eco systems are a big factor in system retention. A lot of younger people will buy the system they can play with their friends regardless of any other considerations and when the PlayStation is so far ahead it gives them a massive advantage that would require a massive blunder on PlayStations part to lose.... Basically a blunder on the scale of the PS3 or Xbox one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Fyi

Note: If you already own Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition on PlayStation 4, you will receive a free upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version when the game launches on October 15th, 2024.

Xbox Owners: Rejoice! There's a 50% discount on Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition for Xbox One, running until October 14th, 2024. Afterward, your purchase will automatically unlock the new features of the Xbox Series S/X version via Smart Delivery.

Things I didn't expect to see when I woke up this morning:

A freedom wars remaster:

Seems to be coming to PlayStation, switch and steam from Bamco, I always thought it was a Sony Japan Studios game but I'd say they only published it. At least it's escaping it's Vita prison.

There's three things I remember about freedom wars.

The first was that it was a really fun monster hunter type game but with its own twist with the grapple mechanic and the focus on gunplay. I only played a little and it was really fun.

The second is the penal system where the game would fine you for doing the dumbest stuff but you could get a license for that thing. I won't spoil it because some of it is genuinely hilarious.

The the third thing was that it was Sony's last published game on the Vita and Sony and everyone else gave so little of a **** about the Vita at the time that they released this on PSN with a spelling error and I seemed to be the only one that noticed. Even took a picture as I was in shock at how it got through a QA process... If there even was one.

This was on launch day!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Will definitely be picking it up.

Bought it at the time but never got into it on Vita.

Colin and Greg used to gush about it like it was the second coming back in the day on Beyond/Kinda Funny.

Unusual for it to be announced a bit before TGS but I suppose they want to be the news rush from the event.

Noice! I'll definitely give it another spin so!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I think this is the first quote by Square directly acknowledging that the latest FF games haven't sold well, and apparently they're pretty justified in thinking that according to this twitter dude (rather than it being unreasonable expectations)

https://x.com/ZhugeEX/status/1836334410477527294

• Advertisement

Pity about XVI as it's great, the story does drop a bit towards the end.

As for Rebirth, that is a bloated corpse of a game with a razor thin story wrapped around a hundred hours of doing the same 3 side missions in each biome. It makes Remake, which was already bloated, look like a streamlined experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be very hard pressed to call XVI great personally - played around 30 hours of it and it felt three or four times longer than that just due to the sheer volume of drudgery and inane filler in between the big spectacle bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah I loved the writing in freedom war(t)s! I'm actually happy to pick this up again because my vita is starting to misbehave as a console and delighted to see this reach out beyond the console again!

you gotta imagine they have potentially massively overestimated profits here. So many reasons why ff7Rebirth was not going to do as well as Remake, and I'm saying that as someone who genuinely enjoyed it. Covid, direct sequel, new console, those waiting on "the collection", etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

FFXVI is the first FF game I've ever played, and I could only stomach it for about 5 hours or so. The combat felt reasonably fun, but everything else just started to bore me to tears and looked like it would only continue to get worse.

It wouldn't put me off future FF games as I know they can all be relatively different, but with reports of how long the game generally takes to finish I just couldn't bring myself to continue with it.

On the one hand, seems entirely pointless given how great the game looks, how it's already on PC (and so I'm sure people's PCs are already making the game look as good as it probably can) and I think there was a PS5 upgrade for it too. On the other hand, weird to think the game is over 7 years old already, and maybe all the different raytracing etc will be used as a showcase for the PS5 Pro as well.

I don't know, the rumoured numbers out there do sound pretty low (think ⇐ 2.5million copies was the estimate on some of these boards that talk about this stuff). Based on insider reports it sounds like it did really poorly regardless of Square's estimates.

I don't really believe there's a substantial number of people waiting on a trilogy collection, what it feels to me is Square (and maybe Sony) are trading on this series having the same level of prestige it had 20 years ago but it has failed to grow its audience much beyond those same players from 20 years ago. But in the meantime the budgets are going in the opposite direction.

That's the problem they have to look at fixing, and seeing if there's somehow a way to make a part 3 of VIIR that doesn't feel like it's mandating people complete Remake and Rebirth as homework. Their marketing for Rebirth was clearly pandering to a demo that was going to buy the game anyway, which is what they need to not do here. A pack in for the first two games wouldn't fix it either I feel if the interest in playing them doesn't exist.

edit according to the report out today Square lost ¥8.1 billion on their HD games division so these games must definitely be considered failures

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/pdf/24q4outline.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is maybe a little bit of rose tinted glasses, but the last FF game I really adored was 9. I liked aspects of X but also felt its more linear approach meant it felt more restricted than 7-9 (which were my core FF games as a kid), while I admire what I've played of XII for its ambition but have never quite gotten into it the way some did. I think XIII, XV and XVI are all messes in their own unique and frustrating ways.

It's a series that has IMO been searching for a purpose for a long time now, and while its flexible nature has made for some interesting ideas, I think they've often struggled in trying to match tradition and invention in a satisfying way. Also, this is a very specific thing, but have never really liked the visual directions they've chosen post FFIX. They've always been quite cutting edge graphically for the time, but their more clinical, 'realistic' art design has often clashed with the inherent goofiness that comes with many of the series' iconic elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭MikeRyan87

I may get it if its a 10e upgrade but not a notion otherwise.

Should've used their resources to bring Killzone trilogy to PS4/PS5 natively.

btw, off topic but is pagination broken on here for anyone else?

I'd say definitely not an upgrade. Seems like it's a full priced game, especially if they're calling it Remastered and it's being age rated for release and everything.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen it myself, but lots of people have. There should be a notification from the tech team at the top of the site:

Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

There's obviously a market if they keep doing it, and if it was a upgraded version of [game you personally like] there wouldn't be as much of an issue. I think there's also a sense of certain hate/dislike against the Horizon games that it doesn't deserve, they're brilliant from a technical and gameplay standpoint, albeit with bloated open world mechanics which, again, a lot of people seem to still like.

Each to their own. How many times have people bought GTA V over 3 generations? Even Naughty Dog are not as bad as Rockstar in that regard. But because GTA V is near universally lauded it's ok. And no doubt the PS5 Pro version of it will sell again.

Personally I'll probably give it a go if it's a free upgrade, but meh on paying any more for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Horizon Zero Dawn is getting a remaster, because of course it is.

The big problem with Final Fantasy for me is that since the budgets have gotten higher they have been trying for mass appeal rather than letting the games be their own thing. This started with FF13. They're all trying to hone in on a western audience but also copying everything wrong with popular Western games, namely the boring side quests and extended play times. There's talent at square enix. Their AA games have been some of their best work and they are absolutely cooking when it comes to their art, technical expertise and especially in their combat and gameplay systems.

What the series needs to do is give Kitase license to make the game world and story he wants, make a great battle system and then have a linear progression through a world map where dungeons are at most 30 minutes long and there's absolutely no fetch quests and side quests are what you do before the final boss to get the best gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally a way to play Zero Dawn on modern systems. 🙄

Maybe bring games stuck on older systems like Infamous. (Yeah I know they can be streamed)

Really don't get this remaster. The first game looked stunning as is. It's also just a bit ordinary with plenty of other Sony games far deserving of a remaster.

It looks like there has been a big leak of Switch 2 prototype material included renders and casings.

Of course as with anything of this nature you should take it with a grain of salt until there's official confirmation.

Probably just being done due to the ease of it rather than demand, and like I said if they squeeze a bit more out of the graphics in terms of raytracing, better lighting etc, it'll probably be used as a good showcase for the PS5 Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

• Advertisement

Pretty much. There are some differences though, such as the changes to the joycon rails and the increase in size.

Looks like additional buttons at the inner side of the shoulder buttons too, although looking at it again I presume they're the joycon release buttons. Different from the Switch 1 buttons anyway.

That said, yeah huge grain of salt. Would have expected a bit more of a difference from the original.

That's the PS5 version, the new PS5 firmware from last week has broken the game.

It does look funky.

Not often you see the console version broke and not PC!

Looking forward to the DF take on the game.

Speaking of Final Fantasy and DF, they have the footage of FF7 Rebirth on Pro - a game that, unlike many of the first-party games showcased by Sony last week, will benefit significantly from the extra horsepower due to the blurry image quality of the OG version.

Less squinting needed to spot the difference here, even with the limitations of YouTube compression.

• Advertisement

Can FFVII save PS Pro? Or vice versa…

Sony kinda screwed themselves over with that initial presentation because almost all the first party games they've released this gen have performed exceptionally well and looked pretty great too. Horizon 2, Astro Bot, Returnal, GoW Ragnarok, Spider Man 2 - all run great on PS5 OG.

Third party games like FFVII Rebirth and Black Myth Wukong are likely were the more substantial graphical benefits will be seen. But they didn't showcase those for whatever reason - either because they wanted to show first party stuff, or didn't want to make third-party developers look bad!

I'd argue that showing Rebirth in the sizzle reel was them basically trying to diplomatically say "look, we know it looks shite. We have a product for you it's called PS5 Pro 800 euro RRP"

Technology expert at DF, Richard Leadbetter, claiming GTA VI will be 30fps on console...

Potentially a deal breaker for me. I get why previous releases were, as most games were then, but I don't think I could go back down now. Although it's probably true seeing as we don't even have an RDR2 60fps yet iirc, the reason I haven't gone back. I get the cpu argument, but they got V running at 60 so I'm more than happy to take a visual hit for a smooth 60, including whatever they'd have to pare back on the cpu side. If possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

To be honest, I never expected GTA VI to be anything other than 30fps on console.

• Advertisement
Advertisement