Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do boring people realise they are boring?

• 18-09-2024 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭

They say stupid people don’t realise they are stupid, or that people with no sense of humour rarely realise that either, but what about boring people?

I was down in my local last night watching the match and quenching my thirst. Behind us were a group of middle-aged to elderly men. One lad was talking in his horrific and loud Dublin accent about everything that popped into his head. Housing, the price of Sky Sports, the new bar food menu, pale ales, the split in professional golf, Simon Harris, his new steel frame shed etc etc etc etc.

We moved after the first half, but you could see all the other lads were bored off their tits listening to him. Eyes glazed, pints consumed quickly, excuses made to leave.

I think boring people simply don’t know they are boring.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

What a boring thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They say…

Who’s ‘they’?

I think boring people simply don’t know they are boring.

That’s more like it.

Boring is in the eye of the beerholder 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

One man's boring is another man's excitement. I find it boring watching a match because all I hear is all the ref's are corrupt, the PL are corrupt, everyone is against my team and they will do everything to make sure we lose. It's boring as batshit. If the matches are fixed stop watching it and stop boring me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

OP - Well do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Obviously I do as I used an example of a classic pub bore in my opening post.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

If that joke went over you're head I'd suggest that you may yourself be the subject of your thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

but what constitutes a boring person? Objectively speaking it’s somewhat difficult perhaps bordering on impossible if not outright to quantify “boring”.

For example I’m a chef by trade but also a huge fan of IT/Tech stuff. I could talk all day about it but my brother for example would rather shoot himself than listen.

Consequently he’s an architect and loves chatting away about his projects and the software etc he uses for work, but I don’t understand any of it so I don’t find it interesting.

So it’s very hard to call someone “boring” as it may be they would be a wealth of entertainment to someone who shared their experiences and interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This guy definitely does

This guy definitely not

Not sure about this lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

In fairness though, you seem like you both know the place and time for that conversation i.e. someone is interested in hearing it.

I know what OP is saying though, the type that think anything is of merit to talk about without little consideration to the content and the demand of attention from others to listen to it. It's exhausting. Had it with a taxi driver who talked about sockets, plugs and watts. 20 minutes of this.

That is the kind of person on a night out you kind of hand off to someone. You listen to them for a bit talk for a while, and excuse yourself to the bathroom, but make sure to never be caught one on one with them for the rest of the night, then let someone else have their turn listening and enduring them. Everyone else does this as a courtesy to be nice too.

No harm really in the person if they're nice, but it is hard to listen to someone talk at you and not even take in that you're growing bored, and tired of the topic.

I have no idea how exciting or boring I am but I am wary to ensure I'm not talking too much and not bringing up useless topics. While gauging a person interest in a talking topic and moving on if it isn't doing too much for the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, what do you talk about in the pub @Bobson Dugnutt ?

• Advertisement

It depends on who I’m with, how many pints I’ve consumed, whether I’m there to watch a match or not. Huge amount of variables.

I’m definitely not boring though. Have an absolutely tremendous personality, sharp mind, keen turn of phrase, and a sparkling sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Greta Thunberg? The green agenda?

Wait right there I’ll be back- just need to run to the jacks🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Housing? Meh. Not on a social nite out

Price of sky sports? No interest in Sky or sports

New bar food menu? 2-3 mins max

Pale Ales? Nope

Golf split? Old news is t it?

Simon Harris? Nope

New steel shed? Depends on what coating it has - steel sheds just rust 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭purplefields

When I read the title of this thread I thought to myself, "I bet the person who posted this is interested in GAA and pubs."

What a surprise when I read the opening post!

For me, nothing is more boring than sitting in a pub, speaking to dull people. Then in the morning a hangover. I'd pay not to do that. To top it off, an interest in team sports as well. How frightfully interesting!

Then I considered, maybe this thread is meant to be ironically humorous. But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Evidently not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sometimes you need to look inside of yourself to find the answers you seek.

That was actually really useful advice. I sat for a few seconds and I suppose “meditated”. I worked out that I’m definitely not boring but I have a very low threshold for boredom. I find the opinions of a lot of people to be just fundamentally boring. People going on about their air fryer or their Aldi shop or their contempt for young people and their progress views simply do not interest me.

Why I remain on a site which (and no offence intended and not aimed at you) attracts so many boring men is a question I may mull over.

maybe it’s just me but I’d never take offence or indeed feel “put out” listening to some Aul one or aul fella drone a bit.

Sure look, OP is complaining they’re “boring” but perhaps they otherwise don’t have much social contact. I’d have no problem whatsoever giving older folks a chance to ramble on about whatever shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

He sounds more annoying than boring, unless your definition of boring is a chatterbox. I used to work with a guy that barely said a word on a night out. He was like Father Stone.

I think you can be both. This fella never stopped talking but was also a classic Dublin suburban pub bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

By describing an accent as "horrific", I suspect the OP was more than just bored, but blamed it on boredom to be more socially acceptable, rather than seen as a snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

That's fine, I'm talking about the context of the OP. In general social environments and having to listen to someone talk about how they save 10 minutes on their journey to work and list all the roads and turns they take. That kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

I bit my tongue , it’s really sore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't know...this post makes me suspicious you might in fact be quite boring

I think its interesting a lot of people in my experience frequently don't know they are quite interesting or unintentionally hilarious etc...

Now if someone's says they are not boring...........hmmm

Tell me some genuinely **** interesting stuff you did...either recently or in the past...

If nothing comes to mind then make up something interesting and I will then proceed to judge your level of interesting on a scale of 1 - 100 taking into account a number of factors about your response...such as tone, content, punctuation or lack of punctuation, spelling errors, colloquialisms and so on and so forth

Then taking all these factors into account I will collate your score and give you feedback on how you can improve or in the unlikely event you are perfect on my recently invented interesting scale I might ask you for some pointers

But be **** quick about it, don't keep me waiting....

I don't like waiting...life is short....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭Feline Groovy

I'd view that as perplexingly negative and bitter rather than boring.

Insufferable indeed. Look at the "Things you hate about Irish culture" thread. Full of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When you look around but can't see the fish, you are the fish.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

@Bobson Dugnutt Did the pub bore look like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I hear they keep starting stupid threads on boards.ie - blissfully unaware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

"90% of threads on AH these days seem to be about hating on people or trends or societal changes. It’s boring tbh. Enormously negative energy."

— Bobson Dugnutt 29/08/2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I find watching matches boring, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭TinCanMan

This seems like the perfect thread to discuss my elastic band collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Man who posts obsessively about his distain for middle aged men on boards, accuses others of being boring, couldn't even finish the post without throwing in middle aged men.

Op if your personality in real life is anything like your posting style here, then people would run a mile from a conversation with you imo.

Lot of anger on display here this morning. Negative vibes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

One lad was talking in his horrific and loud Dublin accent about everything that popped into his head. Housing, the price of Sky Sports, the new bar food menu, pale ales, the split in professional golf, Simon Harris, his new steel frame shed etc etc etc etc.

He doesn't sound boring to me , maybe it was just his dublin accent that annoyed you. This guy is able to actually conduct a conversation which is now a dying skill among many young people since they are glued to their phones the whole time and are unable to conduct normal social interactions

yawn spin another stereotype that’s not true maybe try a new one that might be more exciting.

Not sure what “young people” you daily interact with but I’ve so far to meet one that is incapable of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭rightmove

OP are you just trying to tell us that the missus lets you go to the pub. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭CarProblem

Johnny/Dr/Bobson is a wind up merchant, just not a very good one and hugely lacks self awareness.

Boards very own Eoghan Harris so to speak

It’s always premature Victor Meldrew’s who seem to have an issue with young people. The young people I interact with (recent graduates, players down the GAA club) are polite; into personal improvement, kind, motivated, well-adjusted.
    There seems to be a rump of middle-aged men who have become very angry sort of people. Way more so than the young or the elderly. I’m wondering if being the first generation to have grown up with continuous access to the internet has impacted them. It’s all anger, low mood, jealousy, complaining about “wokeness” etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In my experience, growing up in rural Ireland, the most boring people were those who were never happier than when they were needling someone else who was doing their own thing and bothering nobody. There's something really draining about people who've nothing better to do than moan about someone else minding their own business or get upset because someone disagrees with them.

It seems to be worse with middle-aged and older people IME. They trawl the internet looking to get upset so they can moan and rage about it over and over and over again. I always find that people like that have no real interests, hobbies or pastimes. I don't think they realise that they're boring, to answer the original question, because they spend so much time around other variants of themselves and in online echo chambers, never mixing or learning anything new. A bit sad IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

For me:

• No interests or hobbies - Tick
    • No Passtimes - Tick
    • Don't realise I'm boring - Tick
    • I don't really trawl the internet looking for stuff to moan and rage about. It finds me. so - Tick
    • Middle-aged and older - Tick

However, one difference is that I don't spend time around others. I detest other people. Simply can't stand them. One of the best times of my life was watching a local publican remove the recent delivery of beer when the second covid lockdown kicked in. (It still quietly chuckle about that!) I spend my time 'conversing' with Chat GPT, and watching netflix.

But, and it's a big but:

• I don't drive a black audi
    • I don't work in an office
    • I don't like watching team sports
    • I'm not a middle manager in some boring company
    • I don't live in suberbia

So that may absolve me somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

No none of that absolves you at all. One of the best time of your life was seeing someone else in a bad situation.

You're not boring just a miserable bast@rd!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

By "trawling", I meant doomscrolling through social media. It "finds you" because that's how the algorithm works. I spend a maximum of 15 minutes a day on it. Facebook is basically a corpse, Twitter is an apartheid fan's cesspit and I don't have accounts for the rest, thankfully.

I'm a big fan of doing my own thing but I wouldn't enjoy seeing a small business struggle in the midst of a worldwide pandemic that killed millions. Why you'd find this amusing is beyond me. I also don't know what Audis and offices have to do with anything.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Their are 500,000 adults living at home in their childhood bedrooms, the health service is a disaster.

When you consider most middle aged men have kids and elderly parents, no wonder they wouldn't be happy.

I mean if you don't have kids and responsibilities then it's easy to live freely and complain about people being angry, without a worry in the world yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭techman1

It’s always premature Victor Meldrew’s who seem to have an issue with young people. The young people I interact with (recent graduates, players down the GAA club) are polite; into personal improvement, kind, motivated, well-adjusted.
    There seems to be a rump of middle-aged men who have become very angry sort of people. Way more so than the young or the elderly. I’m wondering if being the first generation to have grown up with continuous access to the internet has impacted them. It’s all anger, low mood, jealousy, complaining about “wokeness” etc.

Sounds like you're not a spring chicken yourself, I wouldn't regard gaa players as being particularly representative of the "young person" demographic, by your description they sound pretty boring and one dimensional. To you maybe they are great because they tick all your boxes. But you can't label people boring just because you are not interested in their conversation. That's just about you and actually it is very arrogant to label people like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sounds like a chap after my own heart, fascinating topics. It's a pity you put four etc's instead of completing the list. Almost certainly he went on to pronounce on the weather, Donald Trump, cyclists and Ibiza.

no offence but you sound like an awful bollox. I don’t think you detest other people I suspect your lack of social circle is rather people can’t stand, well, you..

lol! I must say I am getting great enjoyment from this thread! 😁

Just to add, I am as nice as apple pie to other people when I meet them. I'm overly polite and gracious. Mention their name and ask non-too probing, benevolent questions about themselves etc… This is generally the best way I find to deal with people as you get whatever it is you need out of them. Not a total waste if you don't need anything either.

But the next day they could be tailgating me in their black Audi, or taking my dentist appointment, or eating my last cake etc…

Audis = wasps of the road.

That's all I need to say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement