Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

where you see the layton news? I always liked the games, but mainly for the puzzles rather than anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's steampunk cowboys which is rad as **** but you just know the ending is going to be dumber than the mecha spider in wild wild west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

awesome, looking forward to this! Like the look of the world there too. And yes, it's gonna be bonkers of a storyline but still, its all about the puzzles for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was wrong about the Horizon ZD Remaster, you can upgrade for about a tenner if you own the original.

Ghost of Tsushima sequel announced; Ghost of Yotei. New female protagonist. 2025 release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well stage of play was a big old waste of time. Nothing new and what was new was more of the same, and even at that there was only 1 PlayStation exclusive there and some scraps thrown at PSvr2.

I did get a little worried when they announced a PS1 RPG and thought that Sonys biggest crime against videogame would be announced and it was a lunar remaster. As for lunar, I don't recommended. It's highly rated as it was one of the first CD RPGs to hit the west and the mega cd was starved of games and the Megadrive was starved of RPGs. It's kind of boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What if you bought HZD complete, but never opened it for years, then sold it to CEX a fortnight ago?

Do you still get it for a tenner? 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Must have caught wind of Ghost of Yotei and thought; "Fúck…"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Monster Hunter Wilds release date is all that really matters. February 28th. Already clearing my March diary. Those rain and flooding effects like suitably, well, wild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I think you're SoL there.

It's interesting to see that you can upgrade from the free digital version they gave to everyone during COVID though, you didn't even need to be a Plus subscriber to claim it.

• Advertisement

If you did, I'd be more worried about how Sony knew that…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Not sure how I feel about the Soul Reaver remasters... they've definitely lost some of the gloom and atmosphere from the original games. Honestly looks like it's trying to emulate the Fortnite look, which is all the rage these days. I wanted a Spyro style remake, ground up byt use the original voice recordings. They've made some effort, but these games deserved so much more, and as a result to me these feel low effort, which again seems to be all the rage these days... I won't be able to help stop myself from getting it, but I feel like it's gonna crap all over my rose tinted memories...

Ghost of Yotei looks amazeballs. And a fine list of Pro enabled games and I'd assume Yotei will be utilising the Pro too.

HZD, I might have given another spin but won't be paying for it again, even just a tenner. Doubt I'd even play it again if it was added to PS+. Played it twice already, that's enough. Then again, new trophy list and platinum could tempt me but there'll be no time...

Surprised at the Astro dlc, didn't think they'd be releasing more content. Guess I'll pick up the GOTY edition at some point in a year or so.

TrTrailer for The Midnight Walk made me queasy. Dont think my brain would be able for the stop motion. But it looks good if that's what you're into. Zero interest in Monster Hunter, not my type of game.

Hell is Us, another Soulslike horror type thing. Meh. Same for Palworld and Metro VR. Archeage Chronicles was interesting initially then I see its another one of those mmo type games so meh. Also meh to Hitman, Sonic, and the rest I think. Lego Horizon... not sold on it. Not a bad showing overall imo. Some excitement in there, with Yotai taking centre stage. Preparing myself for the disappointment of the SR remasters...

I thought it was a decent show. Ghost of Yotei the obvious highlight, I really loved GoT. Hell is Us looked pretty decent, would be interested to see more of it. The Soul Reaver Remasters would have been a big reveal if it hadn't leaked a few hours earlier, can't really blame the State of Play for it. Alan Wake 2 DLC with Control tie-in is cool (I've still never played Control even though I bought it, I really should play it before the AW2 DLC). Dragon Age Veilguard continues to look amazing, and I say that as someone who has never played a DA game and only played ME1, so I'm not really a Bioware guy.

Yes, a lot of remasters and DLC, but for a 30-40 minute state of play, I was happy enough with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You..…you never played played Mass Effect 2???.....

You need to try it man. I played a bit of DA Origins but the series isn't for me. ME 1 is a bit rough but ME 2 is a goddamn masterpiece. Just thinking about it now makes me want to load up and get the crew back together for another run (will absolutely be doing that before the new ME game) .

It's all stuff coming to other platforms though. Was expecting wolverine at least. Just hoping it's not another year where all Sony have is ghost of yotei to hype up.

Monster Hunter Wilds looks incredible. But again it will be available elsewhere.

Some potentially good stuff shown but for the much vaunted September SoP it fell flat for me. Yotei looks like more of the same so not for me but I get why others would be excited.

I bought the Legendary Collection or whatever, played ME1, it was fine…. well, probably more "tolerable" than fine, but I got through it anyway. Played other things for a few months. Started up ME2 and just wasn't feeling the love so didn't even get an hour in. I know it's beloved and meant to be one of the GOATs, but I think it's one of those things that has just passed me by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it was a pretty underwhelming showing, but was it ‘much-vaunted’? I tend to find it’s the gaming community and leakers who do virtually all the hype for these direct events, whereas the publishers themselves usually announce them with limited fanfare a day or two before the fact!

The exception was Microsoft bigging up their summer showcase this year, but to be fair they had an unusually strong lineup to show off.

Going from memory, I think a lot of previous September State of Plays have normally been mostly focused on hyping up the big PS exclusive for that Autumn (Spider-Man 2, GOW Ragnarok), which they simply don't have this year.

I think there was probably also only so much they could do with TGS around the corner, so a lot of reveals they might normally have been able to include at a quieter time of the year will probably be wrapped up in TGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think that's one reason why I never opened it, got it digitally :)

Someone's always spying on us Penn :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I hate to say it again, but Sony (and MS) need more bright, universally appealing super polished AAA games like Astrobot and take some risks with the gameplay.

Less of the dark, dystopian, depressing, stabby, stabby, head exploding, 18 cert, "we're too cool for school" same old games for guys.

This is why they are stuck. They are doing the same thing over and over for the same audience.

Edit ... And just as I posted this the The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom reviews are looking good, the game looks beautiful and they are taking risks with the franchise.

I'm all for giving Sony a good kicking, but given their main two first-party titles for the second half of 2024 are Astro Bot and Lego Horizon Adventures (well, those and Concord LOL)… I think they get a temporary pass when it comes to this particular criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Astro yes, Lego no.

I've done well out of PS5, having never owned a PS before. I've gotten their games super polished with high frame rates and resolution and low prices.

But I fall asleep when I see the same kinds of games, gameplay and art direction, getting trotted out by then and MS. It's a shame since the hardware they have is so capable.

Maybe I'm just shocked at the cost of the production of these games, the sheer effort that goes into them, all the marketing, and then they just fall flat, and people and studios are fired. There is money to burn and incredibly super powerful cheap hardware, but the innovation and fun seems to be shut out.

I didn't think the writing of Horizon could get worse but the writing in the Lego game was horrible. Game does look fun despite the gross fortnite humour.

Speaking of which, that fortnite controller looks awful.

I have zero interest in the game, but I do think now of all times is an odd moment to make the 'Sony's games are too serious / grim-dark' argument, when they do seem to be making some efforts to put out stuff besides self-serious open-world and action games.

I'd have said the same from Microsoft a year or so ago, on the back of stuff like Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush. Though we now know what happened with the latter.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if Sony made zanier more colorful games, just the Lego Horizon games humour fell really flat for me. Actually think it looks like a really fun game.

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom reviews are coming out and it's looking like it's going to be one of the best of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

All is not well at Ubisoft it seems - admitting to 'softer' (i.e. worse) sales of Outlaws than they anticipated, and delaying AC Shadows to polish it. Their years of lazy, rote design and cheeky nickle-and-diming finally catching up with them?

FINALLY they realise they should be launching PC games on Steam, at least. Amazing that some publishers haven't copped onto that still.

They are also abandoning the season pass model

Listening to players' feedback, and as an illustration of our player-centric approach, the following important decisions relative to Assassin's Creed Shadows have been taken:

- Assassin's Creed Shadows will now be released on 14 February 2025. While the game is feature complete, the learnings from the Star Wars Outlaws release led us to provide additional time to further polish the title. This will enable the biggest entry in the franchise to fully deliver on its ambition, notably by fulfilling the promise of our dual protagonist adventure, with Naoe and Yasuke bringing two very different gameplay styles.

- We are departing from the traditional Season Pass model. All players will be able to enjoy the game at the same time on February 14 and those who preorder the game will be granted the first expansion for free.

- The game will mark the return of our new releases on Steam Day 1.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I was just on the PSN Store and went into the discounts section, and it was chock full of Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs and The Crew games, special editions, season passes & DLCs as per usual.

Their games go on sale so quickly and so often that I'm surprised anyone buys them at launch these days. If AC Shadows hadn't been delayed to February it probably would have been on sale by then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DF got to play PS5 Pro and have a video up on it. Haven't watched it all yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When you said they're abandoning the season pass model, I assumed it meant they weren't doing the DLC and would be part of the game at sale. But nope, seems they're just releasing the DLC to be bought separately.

I think it's also the whole thing where if you get gold or ultimate edition of a game you get 3 days early access. This backfired on them with outlaws, playstation players who were playing with early access lost game progress due to bug present in game.

Also in other Ubisoft related news

https://insider-gaming.com/ubisoft-investigation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Watched the Xbox Tokyo Game Show, which was more like Overworld Game Show, to be honest, so many different games that highlighted their overworld.

Some good stuff for Xbox in Japan there though.

Any standouts? TGS has been pretty weak the last few years especially with Nintendo not being there.

A lot of catching up for Square games.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, Legend of Mana Remaster and Trials of Mana remake out today the latter 2 on Game Pass.

DQ 3 HD-2D also confirmed for Xbox release.

Pixel remaster suggests that the square enix exclusivity deal with FF is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

TGS trailer for MGS 3 Remake, I was expecting a release date as it's still rumoured to be released in 2024 but I can't see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Basically what sniper said.

Starcraft remastered and SC2 coming to Gamepass PC.

Tanuki, a raccoon mailman on a bmx, coming soon.

Katamari reroll+ is out on Gamepass.

Metaphor, from the persona guys.

Honestly, a lot of it looked quite similar, and all of it looked like it was targeted towards the Japanese gamer. Synduality was very clearly based on any anime with a girl piloting a mech. Suikoden 1 & 2 HD Remaster is coming. All you need is help looked quite good for a 4p co-op puzzler.

Was quite interesting in that way, that MS would devote an entire show to a market that's been quite hostile to it. Also showed the Amazon Firestick, I believe in a "you don't need a console in your small Japanese apartment" way.

I’ve always been cynical about these new Konami remakes as they seem a bit pointless to me.

But I’ve been playing through the OG Silent Hill 2 and honestly quite depressed that there’s been no effort made to make that properly available. It’s so distinct and fascinating visually in particular it’s a real shame that it’s getting a glossy remake instead of a proper remaster.

At least the MGS retro collection exists.

Looks fantastic. Not 100% sold on some of the character models, Ocelot doesn't look as snide and punchable. Disappointed there's no release date yet. Considering some of the feedback from the previews it was assumed the majority of the game was ready to go.

There's been a thread about the fog in the new game and despite it using volumetric voxel effects in the remake it looks worse than the PS2 version which moves realistically with wind movement and had textures applied which funnily enough is something that isn't possible on the deferred renderers engine of the new game.

Basically the new game is using a very advanced and intensive effect to make accurately volumetric fog that manages to look less realistic than the fog effects on the original that were all hand crafted right down to movements to simulate wind.

Yeah it's a good example of tech limitations leading to great artistic outcomes. The fog in the original is so oppressive and eerie that it adds greatly to the game's mood and tone, while also being a technical necessity to achieve what they wanted to. Overall there's a layer of artful fuzziness and abstraction which really adds huge amounts to the game's visual and tonal signature.

What I've seen of the original is obviously more technically advanced in the most literal sense, but just does not conjure up the same atmosphere.

I will say though that I hated the fire and blood graphics in the original. Everything looked so... stringy....

Must look that up. Dont remember the blood effects, I'm guessing they are just the little puff of alpha claret that most games of the time used. I do remember being very impressed by the burning staircase scene with Angela near the end of the game. Might be the nostalgia mixed with how devastatingly power the whole scene was so must take another look. I think we've only had decent fire effects relatively recently.

About 3.30 in this video (Snake getting punched), and 14.10 or so (Snake getting shot). Always the bits that stood out to me.

(Unfortunate thumbnail of Volgin grabbing Snake's snake)

Edit: Sorry, got confuzzled over what game we were talking about, I was on about the fire and blood effects in MGS3. I see now you meant Silent Hill. Still though, blood in video above very stringy

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement

Not surprised, they did similar with Uncharted when the Legacy collection was announced. They removed Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy from individual sale at €20 each and bundled them together for €40, you only needed one of the titles to get the €10 PS5 upgrade.

Advertisement